• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't even afford a new thread.

Shout out to Firestorm for the earlier threads and this shamelessly plagiarised template.

For those new to this, we share deals and promos on video games in this thread. However, we do sometimes stray off that topic and into other issues that might affect us all -- most commonly internet and wireless deals. Sometimes pillows and McDonalds deals. In any case, it's a pretty casual thread and we're all just here to save some money! You'll see some of the more common promos that we recommend taking advantage of in the first post.

With this thread we'd like to make it a bit easier to find deals so if you are posting a new deal (rather than discussing an old one or wondering about shipping), please post NEW DEAL in highlights at the beginning of your post like this:

NEW DEAL
Bloodborne - $19.99
http://gotcha-usa.deal

If it's a local deal or you're looking for something, try to say what city! In any case, here's the standard first page stuff using graphics I lost the source files for over 2 years ago:

YvEoj.png

GameDealsCanada - Run by our very own No_Style, he posts weekly flyer sales. Follow on Twitter.
TIVs.ca - neksus' site crowdsources trade-in values at our many stores that accept trade-ins
Flip - Apparently an official trade-in value calculator for Future Shop and Best Buy
RedFlagDeals - The largest Canadian deals website.
CheapAssGamer - The Canadian sub-forum of the largest video game deals forum.
GameDealsCanada Twitter Feed - No_Style puts pretty much everything in this thread into a Twitter feed for you to follow
GameDealsCanada Facebook Page - If you'd rather follow on Facebook, you can Like No_Stye's page
GamesForCanada - See "purchasing us only items" below​

lMWYa.png

WOdTD.png

The (Un)Official Canada-GAF Approved method is GamesForCanada. goomba478 of CheapAssGamer runs this website which will help you get just about anything - not just games - from the US to Canada. You use the form on his site to tell him what you want, and he orders it for you then ships it to Canada for a small fee. We have all had great experiences with GFC. He also has a forum.

hrjeV.png

Shoppers Drug Mart
A store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem Optimum points for almost everything, which includes games, systems, and accessories, but not pre-paid cards. Normally you only earn 10 points per dollar spent (not including taxes). There are redemption levels that run from 8000 points for $10 to 95000 points for $170 of merchandise (you still have to pay the taxes).

20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you earn 200 points per dollar.

18500 (or 15000) Bonus Point Events
You need to make a purchase of $75 before tax, but you earn your regular 10 points per dollar plus the bonus points.

Bonus Redemption Events
Generally these events are 50000 points for $100 or 95000 points for $200 of merchandise.

Super Redemption Events
These have redemptions such as 40000 points for $90, 50000 for $125, 80000 for $200, or 95000 for $250 of merchandise.​

Future Shop
RIP

Target
RIP

Amazon.ca
Pales in comparison to its US brother, but they match most sales and promotions. The best E3 deal this year. Shipping sucks, even if you're Prime.

Toys R Us
Website has limited stock, but they price-match.

Best Buy
The only trade-in alternative (chain-wise) to EB. Don't trade in games there. But hey, Reward Zone points, right?

Wal-Mart
Online shipping threshold is now $50 (free if you ship to a Canada Post outlet) and their website is buggy.

The Source
Clearance games can drop to under $5. Website ships to store for free. Their eBay site has decent stuff.

Indigo
Games are exclusive to their website. Free ship to store.

EB Games
Deals are bad though. No price-matching. At least they do trades, right?

Shop.ca
Codes don't seem to work on games anymore. Free shipping though.

Costco
You need a membership, but it's worth it.

Staples
They sell games on their website, but seem to have abandoned it at the store-level.

Superstore
May find occasional bargain bin steals.

E3
During E3, both Future Shop Amazon and Best Buy usually have pre-order deals on all the games announced at the show. You aren't charged until they ship and can cancel at any time so it's a good idea to pre-order! These range from 10 or 20% off to $20 off each title. Check this thread at E3! At this point it's the only time people buy games.

Black Friday
Less stampedes, fewer deals.

Boxing Day
It's basically online shopping on Christmas Eve now.

Prime Day
Amazon's trying to make it a thing.

While making this thread, I realized Future Shop and Target were still around during the last one. :(

WALL OF SHAME FROM LAST THREAD: TOP 10

DoctorWho 761
nobodyshero 558
zroid 530
ohlawd 418
DeathByBacklog 417
i-Jest 363
Sora_N 362
Lone_Prodigy 319
firehawk12 288
Lexxus 285

THE REST OF THE LIST

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will vote for whoever gets prices back to $59.99.

Quick

Banned
I like it. And I just noticed a link to GamesForCanada now. I've been looking at US-only items I've been looking to buy and have been trying to find a way, and now I have!

CazTGG

Glad to see there's another one of these threads, even if the deals won't be as big as they used to be given current prices and what have you.

SickBoy

Just a reminder, folks: don't need to post a "lol just posting to subscribe" post if you want to sub to the thread -- you can also use the thread tools (on the mobile and desktop versions of the site) to add a subscription.

Also, a deal?:

Walmart's offering a handful of 3DS games at $29.96 starting tomorrow. Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are only $5 off. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, though, seems to be regularly $45 (I assume Omega Ruby will also go on sale?).

Speaking of Pokemon, my son is 7. Will he dig it? He's kind of into Pokemon (cards and the show), but never tried the games (I'm not a fan, so I don't have any older versions he can try out).

Mmm new thread smell, too bad it seems the days of great deals are gone with the wind...

Sooo who wants to play some facebreaker??

Firestorm

I just wanted to say, that when I started this thread eight years ago, I never really thought it would last as long as it has and saved (read: convinced you to spend) so much money for so many people. Super proud to have had a hand in building up this community on GAF. I may not spend much on games anymore or even really play many games anymore, but I still check this thread regularly to help my friends find cheap deals and see how everyone is doing! /concession speech

Though post slower y'all it took us longer to hit 20k in the first thread than the last 4 put together!

Maximus.

I just wanted to say, that when I started this thread eight years ago, I never really thought it would last as long as it has and saved (read: convinced you to spend) so much money for so many people. Super proud to have had a hand in building up this community on GAF. I may not spend much on games anymore or even really play many games anymore, but I still check this thread regularly to help my friends find cheap deals and see how everyone is doing! /concession speech

Though post slower y'all it took us longer to hit 20k in the first thread than the last 4 put together!

End of an era, thanks for originally putting this all together! This thread throughout the years has saved (cost?) me a ton of money!

Thanks man for starting what turned into a real community not just a thread, I even made real life friends through this thread!
Shout out to everyone who posted a deal or answered a question, I know I'm not as available as I used to be but I'm still checking this thread very regularly!
Let's hope this thread will be the last one with those insane prices and that things will be better!

Cheers :)

I think I started posting with the second or third one. These threads have saved me so much money, so thank you for starting them.

Ondore

108 posts in OT5? Man, I killed it.

Thanks to starting this up Firestorm, and thanks Lone_Prodigy for keeping the flame going.

As for the OP... is it worth mentioning Superstore as a possibility, or are their moments of "brand new games for $10" infrequent enough to not be worth it?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Took long enough for this thread. Did amazon ship it out or something?

Kiro

Subbed. I wonder why no political party has talked about the rising video game prices. It would sway my vote.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: The $90s Are Back
Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: The Dream of the $90s Is Alive In Canada

Enilced2

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: The yearly wait for E3
Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: AKA your E3 preorder list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom