• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2015 Retail Musings

I was at Microsoft store yesterday and this guy in line ahead of me was returning an opened xbox one he bought earlier in the day.

Apparently he also got 3 free games with it and redeemed the digital code for gears inside, so they had to deduct the cost of the games and the digital code from the return.

He ended up getting like $130 back saying he didn't have money for the system.

So weird how people are awful with money.

oSoLucky

Do you like in a high population area. That is a ton of consoles. They will all be gone by Jan. 1. Doubt prices go back up on any bundles till after the holidays.

That particular Best Buy is very high traffic. Getting into and out if the parking lot was pretty insane on Thursday and also annoying on Friday.

Oh forgot to mention my Gamestop trip.
Saw 3 XBOs being bought so good for Microsoft.
Lots of PS4 software was sold(I saw someone buying 15 games O_O).
No wii u stuff.
Also someone traded in a bunch of wii stuff.

Miami at Best Buy, there is a mountain of ps4s and xboxs. Easily hundreds of them. I have no clue how some of you have places that sold out. I can get every game, every console, there is a ton of everything here.

Somnia

So an update. I worked 4am-1pm yesterday and 5 1/2 hours this morning. As I said yesterday it was pretty even, well now is the opposite. Based off sales after 1 and my shift today the PS4 utterly dominated in sales, hands down. Now XB1 did great, but that Uncharted bundle is hot as hell right now.

Game wise easily BLOPS 3 and Fallout have been the largest. Star Wars has fallen fast and hard, barely moving any of it.

Disney Inifity sold pretty good again, sold all of our Tomb Raiders (8 copies between yesterday and today). NBA 2K16 and WWE 2K16 sold well also.

Nintendo wise not much to say, we sold out Splatoon/Smash bundles but nothing game wise really. Sold a ton of the rare amiibos though, out of stock on Shulk and Ike already.

Reaperssj

Miami at Best Buy, there is a mountain of ps4s and xboxs. Easily hundreds of them. I have no clue how some of you have places that sold out. I can get every game, every console, there is a ton of everything here.
Which best buy in Miami the one on bird,Kendall or next to international mall? And yeah the target here in Miami seemed to have things in stock for the most part today.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
People were grabbing uc bundles all night at target, best buy, and Walmart. Both target and Walmart sold out of it, mountains of bones left.

Serenity

So an update. I worked 4am-1pm yesterday and 5 1/2 hours this morning. As I said yesterday it was pretty even, well now is the opposite. Based off sales after 1 and my shift today the PS4 utterly dominated in sales, hands down. Now XB1 did great, but that Uncharted bundle is hot as hell right now.

Game wise easily BLOPS 3 and Fallout have been the largest. Star Wars has fallen fast and hard, barely moving any of it.

Disney Inifity sold pretty good again, sold all of our Tomb Raiders (8 copies between yesterday and today). NBA 2K16 and WWE 2K16 sold well also.

Nintendo wise not much to say, we sold out Splatoon/Smash bundles but nothing game wise really. Sold a ton of the rare amiibos though, out of stock on Shulk and Ike already.

Thanks for the info. I was out early for black friday but the crowds were pretty small when I drove back by my shopping center(bestbuy, walmart and TRU) later that afternoon it seemed way more people were out shopping. Just no need to rush out this year. Might stop in tomorrow to see if the mountains of ps4s and x1s went down much.

pestul

I'm really interested in hearing how well WiiU has done. A lot of co-workers of mine suddenly (after 3yrs) decided to get them. It seems like Mario Maker was a big catalyst for most.

Chobel

That's very low number of copies. For comparison, how many copies do you usually get for not-so-high profile games?

JPS Kai

Battlefront has been moving decently well, thanks in part to a promotion where you get $30 off one of five select EA titles with purchase.

I happened to incur the wrath of a gentleman that drove 50 miles to pick up two copies of BF and did not understand that Battlefront wasn't part of 'one of five select EA titles' as the discounted game. By far the only customer that I couldn't take care of today and used the most expletives in a setting with children present. Not too happy about that, but I can only hope the rest of the weekend goes smoothly.

Which best buy in Miami the one on bird,Kendall or next to international mall? And yeah the target here in Miami seemed to have things in stock for the most part today.

Kendall. an insane amount of consoles there. Look at those pictures above take that and add three more rows of that, that's the size of the piles we have.

Niosai

Walmart had an Uncharted PS4 bundle and the line there was pretty packed. Surely it sold out. Xbox bundles didn't seem to be going as much. As far as violence goes, I watched a grown man grab a kid by the head and throw him to the floor, so that was my "excitement" for the night... Live in a smaller town, so only one big retailer (Walmart) so unsurprisingly it was packed.

Reaperssj

Kendall. an insane amount of consoles there. Look at those pictures above take that and add three more rows of that, that's the size of the piles we have.
I just left the best buy on Kendall about ten minutes ago and they only had the uncharted bundle in the Playstation aisle and yes it was a huge pile. The xbones also had several large piles spread around but in close proximity. So yeah we have no supply issues down here

alf717

I ordered Splatoon from Walmart yesterday for $25 and I just got a cancellation noticed because they were "out of stock". So my black Friday was a bust.

Man Walmart customer service sucks. =(

Saw one guy at Walmart with three PS4s in his cart. Also saw way more WiiUs than expected. Didn't see a ton of XBoxes being sold, but Target had the more attractive deal - so that seems anticipated.

I ordered Splatoon from Walmart yesterday for $25 and I just got a cancellation noticed because they were "out of stock". So my black Friday was a bust.

Man Walmart customer service sucks. =(
Back in December 2014/January 2015, the dudes at my local WalMart (literally 5-10 minutes from my house) refused to price match Sears' $25 DualShock 4 price because they claimed it wasn't the same SKU. The Best Buy like a mile down the road price matched it no problem.

alf717

Back in December 2014/January 2015, the dudes at my local WalMart (literally 5-10 minutes from my house) refused to price match Sears' $25 DualShock 4 price because they claimed it wasn't the same SKU. The Best Buy like a mile down the road price matched it no problem.

Thats pretty cool Best Buy did that. Sadly Walmart just flat out refuses to honor their own Black Friday price. I was nice to them and was willing to wait for more stock so long as they guaranteed the $25 dollar price tag but Walmart would only offer me 20% when it was in stock again.

Xenus

Thats pretty cool Best Buy did that. Sadly Walmart just flat out refuses to honor their own Black Friday price. I was nice to them and was willing to wait for more stock so long as they guaranteed the $25 dollar price tag but Walmart would only offer me 20% when it was in stock again.

Walmart is awful about pricing. They won't price match their own online store if it's different in store. Even though you can order online and set to pickup in store. In fact they set their mobile site store to the in store price in stead of the online store to try to prevent you from ordering it and standing there for a few minutes its sad.

Toki767

Went back to Best Buy to see the damage tonight and this was the first thing I saw walking in. Not sure how well it's working. Guessing it's a Manager's special so it's this store only.

CU8z0IgVAAAvhik.jpg

graywolf323

Went back to Best Buy to see the damage tonight and this was the first thing I saw walking in. Not sure how well it's working. Guessing it's a Manager's special so it's this store only.

CU8z0IgVAAAvhik.jpg

I got an email about that, it's a chain-wide deal of the day

These threads are normally hilariously useless when it comes to judging what the actual sales will be but I love them anyway.

Need more pictures of unsold stock piles of consoles.

Judging from the way people are talking it seems this BF might be a bit slow for console sales? Or maybe everyone had enough stock and not a lot of people left empty handed.

Will be a fun NPD.

Cornbread78

Judging from the way people are talking it seems this BF might be a bit slow for console sales? Or maybe everyone had enough stock and not a lot of people left empty handed.

Will be a fun NPD.

In general, we sold out of all three. Stock levels: MS>Sony>Nin.

Not as "hot" as last year, but still sold very well.

Amazon monthly has been updated with PS4 NDC boxed bundle climbing right to #5.

#5 PS4 Uncharted NDC [boxed]
#15 PS4 Star Wars
#19 Xbox One Gears of War
#22 PS4 Call of Duty
#24 PS4 Uncharted NDC [digital]
#27 Xbox One Fallout 4
#31 PS4 Star Wars [LE]
#49 Xbox One Gears/Rare/Ori

On the software side, Fallout 4 is the big winner on Amazon.
RoTR is #53

Amazon November 2015

Amazon November 2014

viHuGi

Banned
These threads are normally hilariously useless when it comes to judging what the actual sales will be but I love them anyway.

Need more pictures of unsold stock piles of consoles.

Will be a fun NPD.

Yeah Xbox and Ps4 are probably just above 1m sales on USA for November, dead consoles pack it up we should stop playing, also ps4 was just highest grossing product on best buy, meh.

Went to the Nintendo World Store because I was visiting my sis in NYC and was shocked to see tons of Villager and Captain Falcon and Little Mac amiibos. I remember when they came out they were impossible to get, and there were tons of other "rare" amiibos just sitting everywhere. I guess they aren't rare anymore.

I got a Vulpix plush. Sister's boyfriend got the Uncharted bundle at Gamestop.

Mikey Jr.

#15 PS4 Star Wars
#22 PS4 Call of Duty
#27 Xbox One Fallout 4

RoTR is #53

Amazon November 2015

Amazon November 2014

PS4 is in a much much better position this November than last time.

ViciousDS

Banned
PS4 is in a much much better position this November than last time.

That's because it's what....a real $100 price drop? I mean Microsoft had to basically kill kinect, drop price AND bundle games for buyers last year. This year it's all about pricing and both are on equal footing price wise.

Checked back at target and best buy today....both had almost no PS4 NDC's left. Tons of Xbox one's though. Seems neither retailer moved any Tomb Raider bundles. Asked my buddy at best buy and they sold a max of 2 TR bundles....ouch. (10 in stock BF and 8 are left, one he said was even returned for another bundle.)

boltz

Was at my local MS store (Costa Mesa) and they had no shortage of consoles (several dozens) on the floor. There was a decent-sized pile of the Halo 5 and TR bundles and around half a dozen of the Halo 5 collector's edition.

There was no price indicated for those, so I checked and they were still at $125 + $10 gift card, and I couldn't resist, so I picked one up. Got a cool, giant reusable MS bag that fit it perfectly as well :) In the short time I was there I didn't see any xboxes moved.

DieH@rd

Banned

#15 PS4 Star Wars
#22 PS4 Call of Duty
#27 Xbox One Fallout 4

RoTR is #53

Amazon November 2015

Amazon November 2014

You missed to include one of the biggest releases of the month, Battlefront LE @ #31. That SKU was also ranked #26 in October and #16 in August, it pushed a lot of consoles before BF pricedrops arrived.

Sandfox

Went to the Nintendo World Store because I was visiting my sis in NYC and was shocked to see tons of Villager and Captain Falcon and Little Mac amiibos. I remember when they came out they were impossible to get, and there were tons of other "rare" amiibos just sitting everywhere. I guess they aren't rare anymore.

I got a Vulpix plush. Sister's boyfriend got the Uncharted bundle at Gamestop.

Nintendo has reprinted a lot of the Amiibo.

More consumer electronics than gaming focused, still interesting.

The New Holiday Shopping Reality (NPD)

After three years of Thanksgiving night experimentation, I believe the retailers have come to find a solid strategic footing. The late-day openings (5:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m.) have proven to be the most productive use of time and labor expense, while also drawing the best traffic.

To sum it up, we perceived strong traffic on Thanksgiving and a weaker Black Friday, with the likely result being stable overall results as Black Friday volume continues to migrate to Thanksgiving night (and to online as well).

From a product perspective, it was undoubtedly a TV holiday. We sit at the apex of the sweet spot between 4k demand and affordability, and 1080p value and price point capacity

We rolled into town on Friday around 2PM and crowds were like an average Saturday. I was able to pick up the on-sale games I wanted from Walmart and they seemed to still have plenty of stock. Same thing at Gamestop. Plenty of systems lying around from all 3, games still available, didn't even look messy like usual.

If my experience means anything, it's going to be a very soft Black Friday for retailers and games will be no different. Not good news, economically speaking.

Nintendo has reprinted a lot of the Amiibo.

Opinion: Nintendo is going to kill the Amiibo phenomenon with too much availability and these re-prints. Yes, they were too hard to get before, but now they are seemingly too easy to get. Love it or hate it, part of the appeal is the rarity. If you remove that from the equation, a large part of the public that was buying them will loose interest and you'll be left with a glut that will signal the end of the "fad".

Dremark

Banned
I'm really interested in hearing how well WiiU has done. A lot of co-workers of mine suddenly (after 3yrs) decided to get them. It seems like Mario Maker was a big catalyst for most.

I'm surprised Mario Maker is seeming to be as big of a sales driver as it is. Nothing against the game, I think the idea is great, but I'd think most who would be down to buy a console for it would already be swayed.

I've seen this myself though, my older brother said he wanted one for it but decided not to buy it. All good though, he'll have a pleasant surprise from me on 12/25.

I bought a massive george foreman grill and some protein powder...

Grats on the PS3. It's a great console, I'm surprised an older style one is still at retail though.

Top Bottom