• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2015 Retail Musings

Javin98

Banned
From what it sounds like, whoever had more stock to sell at $299 will end up winning Black Friday, because both seem to be selling well.
That's what it sounds like so far. Luckily for Sony, they shipped tons of the Uncharted bundle this time around, so I think it should last the weekend.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Didnt see much PS4 or X1 action. Saw a big stack ofX1's in BB, but that was the $450 Bundle. Did see a good amount of people getting Wii Us.

At the game section in Walmart Battlefront was sold out on PS4 and X1, BLOPS3 and Halo 5 only had a few copies left.

They also asked me if I wanted to apply to a Kohls credit card for 25% off, and I said "why not?". Unfortunately, it did not apply due to the PS4 being a door buster, but the boardgame was discounted a further $6.

You applied for a credit card on a whim in order to save $6? WHY?

ryan299

Maybe your store is in a less popular location?

Nope I'm in a popular area. It's just the way people shop around here. Last year was the same ton of xbox one's at BB, but none to a few at Walmart and Target. It's funny how it plays out.

kyser73

I think its a pretty bad decision to make a bundle with old games like Sony did.
If I bought a new console, I wouldnt want to play the games I've already played but something new instead like Tomb Raider.

So I think Xbox actually sold way more then PS4

What if...

Sony had access to sales data that indicated that a significant percentage of PS4 sales were coming from people who hadn't previously owned a PS3?

They also had the sequel to a huge first party franchise coming out next year?

What if...those remasters of said franchise were so good they're a completely different experience from playing the originals?

What if..,they had 2 other bundles with new games, giving consumers a choice of 3 packed in brilliant games OR two of the year's biggest releases as bundles?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thread was more fun last year with pics. :[

Ahhh ok I'm in the UK. No idea what's going on. What does that mean tho? People are picking other bundles? Can you get tomb raider on disk with other bundles? NPD is going to be a crazy one

Assumption is that no one is really buying the bundle. Makes sense as its higher priced and also comes with a bundled game that had the marketing bungled and thus poor sales despite positive reviews and word of mouth.

Average consumer will not care about 1TB HD if there is a cheaper alternative. Which is why ms was dumb with the way they handled halo and rotr bundles.

Thread was more fun last year with pics. :[

Assumption is that no one is really buying the bundle. Makes sense as its higher priced and also comes with a bundled game that had the marketing bungled and thus poor sales despite positive reviews and word of mouth.

Average consumer will not care about 1TB HD if there is a cheaper alternative. Which is why ms was dumb with the way they handled halo and rotr bundles.

Yup, Deffo sounds like it! Hopefully people picked up Tomb Raider Seperately. I admit I am a poster child for that game, I am loving it.

Went to Walmart on Thursday night. It was a massive clusterfuck. First off, they had the entire aisle where you line up to check out blocked off. To check out, you had to get into the massive line on either side of the store, and the let one person in at a time to the 2-3 open checkouts on each side. Second, everything was in completely random places. The TV's were in the back by the beer and had a massive line for them. At least that's by their back room though. The video games (and movies) for Black Friday weren't where they normally are in Electronics. Instead, they were in cardboard bins by the ice cream. The consoles weren't in either part of the store and instead in another completely random place I didn't bother to look, so I have no idea how they were selling. Got God of War 3 Remastered, Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D while I was there. Wanted FF X/X-2 but they didn't have it, so I decided to get Majora's Mask 3D instead. The checkout lines in Electronics were just opening when I got everything so I got out of there pretty fast. Bought FF X/X-2 (PS4) today at Hastings for $5 more than Walmart listed but whatever. It was their last copy though so like Gamestop it was already opened and they had the disk in a case by the register. Also got Knack and World of Warcraft for $5 there that I'm going to give away.

Scarphace

Went to Best Buy yesterday around 6pm. I just grabbed the games I wanted and headed to checkout. I was in line for about 15 mins and I noticed there were a good amount of people with xbox consoles/games/accessories. There were a few with ps4's too. Overall seems like they both sold a good amount from what I read on here.

Ordered the PS4 versions of GTA V and the Witcher 3 for $25 each early afternoon on Wal Mart's website.

While I was a bit worried at first I got a confirmation late afternoon that they were ready to be picked up.

Went in around 8pm and I was in and out of the store in less than ten minutes :p

The PS4 version of FFX HD was still around as well for $15 but I just really don't want to play FFX or X-2 again....... I enjoyed FFX but I spent 50 hours plus on the PS2 version and really don't want to do it again.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Went to local Walmart this morning about 9:30 not really caring about any sales in particular just wanted to see if it was a wreck in there. Games for all formats were hit hard. No consoles to speak of. As for games there were a couple carts and cardboard pallet things that had a lot of Titanfall in them. (Only thing I noticed a lot of). Walked out with Dying Light and Gears Ultimate for $15 each. Simple and satisfied. On another non gaming related note,there were several clothing bins lots of people were just falling into digging for cheap clothes. Seriously?! But then again, it was pretty much all that was left and I mean these people were feet hanging above their heads digging for some socks... Wow

Edit:details

The visual I got from this had me cracking up...lol.

From what it sounds like, whoever had more stock to sell at $299 will end up winning Black Friday, because both seem to be selling well.

Agree. And I am legit surprised at Wii U selling. Someone mentioned it earlier...if Nintendo didnt send out alot of stock they may be kicking themselves later. Its gotta be tough when you have a product not selling well then when you have a chance for decent sales...you gotta decide just how much stock to send.

Or does it even work like that? Is it up to Nintendo or the retailers?

Serenity

Only went to bestbuy yesterday morning. Picked up Until Dawn almost got Bloodborne but decided to wait for a good price on the game+dlc.

Wasn't too busy stock seemd about 1.5:1 in favor of Ps4. As far as sales saw 2 lego X1s, 1 TR bundle and 1 uncharted bundle sold. Tons of people picking up controllers and fallout 4 though. Next big game seemed to be black ops.

Was a small stack of Wii U's but even with all the talk of it selling out doubt it comes closes to X1 or Ps4.

mintylurb

Apparently here in the dirty south we like our Xboxes... There was still a gigantic pile of Uncharted Collection PS4s this afternoon, while the stack of $299 Xbox Ones were half the size...

That, or there wasn't as much Xbox product to begin with...
Forbes did its job well.

Curufinwe

Only went to bestbuy yesterday morning. Picked up Until Dawn almost got Bloodborne but decided to wait for a good price on the game+dlc.

Wasn't too busy stock seemd about 1.5:1 in favor of Ps4. As far as sales saw 2 lego X1s, 1 TR bundle and 1 uncharted bundle sold. Tons of people picking up controllers and fallout 4 though. Next big game seemed to be black ops.

Was a small stack of Wii U's but even with all the talk of it selling out doubt it comes closes to X1 or Ps4.

I don't think the DLC will be on sale anytime soon. $20 for BB is a deal worth jumping on.

Raist

Banned
Was to best buy last night and don't recall anyone with systems. Saw some with a buttload of games in their hands. Unsurprisingly, lots of people were walking out of best buy empty handed.

Is black Friday officially almost a bust?

9 out of 10 people now buy stuff online anyway.

Went to Best Buy on Thanksgiving night around 9:30. Wanted Far Cry 4 but it was sold out. I got the last copy of Dark Souls II and FF Type-0 and also picked up a copy of Borderlands Handsome Collection. Picked up a few movies as well.

I wasn't paying attention to who had what but the store still had a ton of PS4 and XBO bundles front and center.

ptuck874

went to target on thursday evening after picking up daughter from volunteer job at hospital, ps4 bundle almost sold out, xbones a plenty and plenty of wii u. friday went to walmart, no bundles of anything i could find, just like someone posted earlier people falling into clothes boxes looking for socks lol :) on side note, was able to get and fit into my grand vitara a baja warrior mini bike from Tracker Suplly for daughter for Christmas, didnt have nowhere to hide it, so gave it to her early for the heck of it, lol, stayed on that thing til about 830 last night, thank goodness it has a headlight :)

QaaQer

Who cares

Nothing to do with morality, but 'borrowing' items from retailers hurts the retailer-->lower profits-->elimination of program + other consequences. It isn't far removed from shoplifting in terms of hit to bottom line (not morally). Remember when you had until late Jan to return stuff you bought in Oc/Nov? Thanks Wii u resellers for killing that.

blakep267

Well next year I know to go to Best Buy first. I went to 2 walmarts and 2 targets and they were sold out of mostly everything. But then I went to Best Buy and they had stacks of all the consoles and 3 big like footlocker containers of games( Madden, 2k, Batman, AC), and you could just reach in and grab a handful

And this was at 6pm or so. So it's either Best Buy got a ton more stuff, or people just go to Walmart and target more

statham

Went to Target, Walmart and Circuit City, couldn't find a single Xbox Tomb Raider bundle. Must be selling like crazy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anyone can make an observation about anything and bullshit about it, unless you have evidence off course.

Two smokin' hot milfs were in line at the cash register buying the Tomb Raider bundle. They apparently disagreed whether the new Tomb Raiders were better then the old Tomb Raiders, and the next thing I knew they were engaged in a hair pulling catfight.
During the fray the toppled over the maple syrup display that got all over them as they tore each other's blouses off.

But whatever man. I didn't take video so I guess it didn't happen.

Went to Target, Walmart and Circuit City, couldn't find a single Xbox Tomb Raider bundle. Must be selling like crazy.

Ha, ha, ha... Oh dear...

I checked out Target and Best Buy late in the afternoon yesterday, and both had a healthy supply of all 3 consoles. They must have had a midday restock.

EthanC

Banned
One thing is clear, if you want the Halo 5 console bundle, just wait. It wasn't selling at 500 and it's not selling now at 450. They're either going to fill a landfill with them or that thing is going to drop to 400 or less.

MbxsrFl.gif

Curufinwe

You're probably right don't you have to beat the core game anyway to access the DLC. Might as well get started on it.

Right before taking on the final boss is the best time to play the DLC. I wish I had kept a backup of that save on a USB drive because the DLC is a bit tough for me in NG+.

Top Bottom