• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

Something's wrong with the Walmart chart, Star Wars bundle way ahead of the 299$ Uncharted bundle.
Also Xbox 360 as the second best selling item?

Actually, Xbox 360 is the best selling item.

The first item is a sponsored listing.

Keep in mind, this is ordering the list of items for a search by best selling. Different than Amazon.

According to Walmart:
1. Xbox 360
2. Xbox One Value Bundle
3. PS4 SW Bundle
4. Wii U
5. Xbox One SW Bundle
6. Xbox One GoW Bundle
7. Nintendo 3DS
8. Nintendo 2DS Blue
9. Nintendo 2DS Red
10. Nintendo 2DS Green

You can see that both XB1 and PS4 SW bundle is higher than the other bundles.

Best Buy Order:
1. Amazon Fire TV
2. MS XB1 Controller
3. PS4 UC Bundle
4. Sony DS4
5. NFL16 PS4
6. FIFA16 PS4
7. Until Dawn PS4
8. NFL16 XB1
9. NBA 2k16 XB1
10. XB1 GoW Bundle

So the 360 sold more than the ps4 at online Wal-Mart ?

Yeah... I don't think this is ordered properly.

I don't see why that is surprising honestly. It's cheap,. ti dominated last year, now those games plus recent ones are cheaper, it comes with games, it probably got some special deals earlier as well during BF weekend.

Bestbuy shows ROTR bundle and Xbone with Kinect. So...

Not sure where you see Kinect at?

The online stores amount to a small portion of the actual retail front, so it still doesn't give us a clear picture.

True, have we gotten any statements about sales from Walmart yet instore?

gtj1092

Why is it surprising?

The thing costs 130$. Works out to be a great Christmas gift. I mean 2DS is no, 8-10 too.

That chart is always wonky. Just yesterday it had the NDC bundle as best selling and the Halo elite bundle with head set at number 2. In no universe is that halo bundle outselling the gears bundle.

That chart is always wonky. Just yesterday it had the NDC bundle as best selling and the Halo elite bundle with head set at number 2. In no universe is that halo bundle outselling the gears bundle.

The chart is then being updated at some interval and is not a MTD chart (like Amazon has).

The baffling part of it is how much they're giving up. With something like FF/JRPGs, going with PlayStation/PC means you give up 20-30% max.

With Xbox first on TR? It's effectively 60% and above. Maybe even touching 70%.

70% is way too low. I'd think more like 85-90%. PS4 alone, with Europe being Tomb Raider land, would probably reach 65%. Add PC on top of that?

foxbeldin

One 360 bundle for $130 sold more than the other consoles on an online store. Why would you question if the order is proper or not?

There is stuff labeled as best selling but behind stuff not labeled at all. You have the sponsored xb1 at top place making it impossible to know it's real position. Everything in this list comes out weird to me.

Also, is that an hourly? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Or maybe last 15mn? I don't know..

The online stores amount to a small portion of the actual retail front, so it still doesn't give us a clear picture.

It's ordered by best sellers.

The online storefront walmart.com comprises approximately 0.75% of the total NPD dataset, and online storefronts such as walmart.com often have nuances that don't get properly conveyed in the broader physical retail landscape.

There is stuff labeled as best selling but behind stuff not labeled at all. You have the sponsored xb1 at top place making it impossible to know it's real position. Everything in this list comes out weird to me.

Also, is that an hourly? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Or maybe last 15mn? I don't know..

I have no idea what you are doing, ignored the sponsored thing at the top and it's in numerical order. It's severely simple.

You have a 360 which is dirt cheap with tons of games, that got releases this year bt, and also games that are very cheap. Also likely had some sale the last 3 days. I mean Walmart is pretty strong for the 360, the 360 did very well last year with AW selling more on it than anywhere else, and while I expect a drop in sales this year, I'm pretty sure It will still sell well at it's cheap price just like last year.

foxbeldin

I have no idea what you are doing, ignored the sponsored thing at the top and it's in numerical order. It's severely simple.

You have a 360 which is dirt cheap with tons of games, that got releases this year bt, and also games that are very cheap. Also likely had some sale the last 3 days. I mean Walmart is pretty strong for the 360, the 360 did very well last year with AW selling more on it than anywhere else, and while I expect a drop in sales this year, I'm pretty sure It will still sell well at it's cheap price just like last year.

Ok. I'm on mobile and items doesn't show up in the same order than the list detailed a few posts above. That would explain the weirdness.

X360 won !!!

vwMin.gif

Finally we have a new sales indicator!
walmart.com
Yeah!

I don't think this is a 1-X style sort. Tweaking the filtering options makes the order change, outside of advertised items, which stay in a fairly constant order.

Basically useless as a sales indicator, even at Walmart I'd say.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
What's the timeframe for the Walmart list? Daily, weekly, monthly? If it's weekly/monthly is it fixed dates or rolling? Mobile doesn't show any of that info.

Just to let people know Too Human is the 2nd worst selling thing on Gamestop online. The worst selling thing is Digital GI subscription.

I don't know someone may find that useful.

They did just open up a retail store. Though I think it's books only.

5-6%? Still would prefer a confirmation from NPD overlords.

Amazon is more like 6-8% now.

Amazon has been growing in popularity and commanding a greater percentage of NPD marketshare over time.

5-6% was accurate back when the PS4 / Xbox One released, and I agree that 6-8% is more appropriate for its current position in late 2015.

In the beginning of the 7th generation Amazon barely registered in the overall retailer list, so it has definitely come a long way the past few years.

Sorry, gang. I hate to burst everyone's bubbles here, but I went to my local Best Buy on Saturday and there were HUGE stacks of both PS4s and XBOs at the front near the cash registers.

Looks like this gen is a bust. Time to pack it in. Nothing to see here. See you next gen.

Does Costco contribute to NPD numbers?

Historically, I know that Costco has been one of the retailers which has explicitly refused cooperation with The NPD Group.

Within the past five years, the NPD Group has made strides to reach out to stubborn retailers (like Wal-Mart) and sign point-of-sale sharing agreements.

I don't know off the top of my head if Costco is now a part of their retailer network as of late 2015. I'll have to find out.

But I doubt that Costco's video game business materially reflects a significant percentage of the overall marketshare, and if The NPD Group doesn't directly track Costco, then they will estimate using algorithms.

This was yesterday.
Please check again.
NDC bundle at 28 in the yearly charts.

Holy cow. The Uncharted Bundle is now the #1 seller for the month of November! Just wow. Amazon must have sold an absolute ton of those bundles for it to be the #1 best seller for the month, even above PSN/Xbox Live Cards and some of the games that were on sale! I mean, it is ahead of Fallout and Call of Duty, which I would have never ever guessed! And it is still #1 in the hourly best sellers as well. It doesn't seem to want to go anywhere at that $299 price!

Yeah the UCC bundle must have sold like crazy on Amazon.

I'm happy to see Bloodborne is now #22 on the yearly chart. #7 in software only.

Welfare

Infoscout: The top console bundle pick this year was the Xbox One 500gb with Gears of War...

The first 250,000 receipts reported from shopping trips on Thanksgiving night and Black Friday were analyzed to support the real-time insights above.

As if there will be a next gen. We don't need gens when we have Live MAUs.

Does Sony ever release these numbers though? Like how can we compare MAUs if one company refuses to participate? I hate when companies don't provide the numbers we are demanding so we can further our own agendas.

Cornbread78

Don't forget about those Star Wars Disney Infinity bundles. They launched the week before Black Friday. Gone, gone, gone, they flew, were they a WM exclusive? I don't see them on the Amazon chart.

Honestly though, that was an equalizer in our store in compareison to the extra stock we received of XB1 bundles sold during BF. Then you add in the Battlefront bundles in comparison to the FO4 bundles, and there is a clear winner...

Loudninja

Don't forget about those Star Wars Disney Infinity bundles. They launched the week before Black Friday. Gone, gone, gone, they flew, were they a WM exclusive? I don't see them on the Amazon chart.

Honestly though, that was an equalizer in our store in compareison to the extra stock we received of XB1 bundles sold during BF. Then you add in the Battlefront bundles in comparison to the FO4 bundles, and there is a clear winner...
Black Friday is no longer ia single day now.

Loris146

My personal prediction :

November PS4 > XB1
Just BF , XB1 slightly better than PS4

Top Bottom