• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

sense

it is possible ms won black friday. the "interesting" thing to look at is if the special edition cod and star wars helps the ps4 win the month

Shenmue

Banned

Yay I guessed correctly. I'm going to guess the reason the result seems contrary to the anecdotes and insider info we've seen here is because Walmart, Gamestop, and to a way lesser degree, Target pushed the Xbox to the top.

From what I've seen Xbox is generally more popular at those stores, while PS4 is more popular at Best Buy and Amazon.

Walmart + GS + Target >>> Best Buy + Amazon.

Here's an interesting comparison for November.

Amazon November 2014, in Top 100:

XB1 : #2, #82, #100
PS4 : #11, #31, #48, #79

Amazon November 2015, in Top 100 (before Cyber Monday):
XB1: #11, #31, #36,
PS4: #1, #15, #24, #27, #39

MS screwed up on bundles by having 1TB bundles that cost 350$ IMO

Yay I guessed correctly. I'm going to guess the reason the result seems contrary to the anecdotes and insider info we've seen here is because Walmart, Gamestop, and to a way lesser degree, Target pushed the Xbox to the top.

From what I've seen Xbox is generally more popular at those stores, while PS4 is more popular at Best Buy and Amazon.

Walmart + GS + Target >>> Best Buy + Amazon.

The Xbox One bundles at Best Buy weren't as attractive as at Walmart and Target too.

Everything is digital substitution of MAUs.
b8gopnwv.jpg

Cornbread78

Super Mario Maker>Star Wars: Battlefront?

*shifts eyes*

yeah right

LEt's just say all the stores I have spoken with have confirmed that they received double the stock of XB1s in comparison to Wii U's with PS4 in the middle.

I also found out we were selling some of our BF bundles early (in error) since it was the same sku as the normal Uncharted bundles and we had sold out of PS4's before then.

anacdotally again, we are still waiting for a restock of PS4's since we have been completely sold out of all bundles since Friday.

Oh boy. Oh boy!!

The long wait for NPD will drive some mad, lol.

Boke1879

LEt's just say all the stores I have spoken with have confirmed that they received double the stock of XB1s in comparison to Wii U's with PS4 in the middle.

I also found out we were selling some of our BF bundles early (in error) since it was the same sku as the normal Uncharted bundles and we had sole out of PS4's before then.

anacdotally again, we are still waiting for a restock of PS4's since we have been completely sold out of all bundles since Friday.

The long wait for NPD will drive some mad, lol.

I know that Wednesday night a lot of retailers put up their deals online. It's why now I wish they would start tracking it as "Black Friday Weekend" so to speak.

Shenmue

Banned
I know that Wednesday night a lot of retailers put up their deals online. It's why now I wish they would start tracking it as "Black Friday Weekend" so to speak.

I don't know if you are implying that the PS4 would have done better if they track the whole week instead of just one day, but if you are, wouldn't it also swing the other way?

PS4 was out of stock in a lot of places since Friday so basically at those places the XB1 would have the potential to continue selling through the weekend but not PS4.

Boke1879

I don't know if you are implying that the PS4 would have done better if they track the whole week instead of just one day, but if you are, wouldn't it also swing the other way?

PS4 was out of stock in a lot of places since Friday so basically at those places the XB1 would have the potential to continue selling through the weekend but not PS4.

I'm not implying anything other than what I stated.

Even these trackers state that they've seen mild Black Fridays in past years. It's because these deals are offered earlier and earlier and more than likely track for the whole weekend.

orochi91

So, if I've understood the past couple pages properly:

-Sony understocked PS4s, relative to the XB1, at a couple retailers; no restocks since Friday

-Uncharted Bundle got sold earlier than on Friday, leading to less stocks on BF.

-XB1 beasting due to giftcards, coupled with a fair bit of restocking.

-Wii U is actually not dead yet.

In which case, my predictions will be:

[3DS] 350K
[PS4] 1250K
[WIU] 250K
[XB1] 1450K

So, if I've understood the past couple pages properly:

-Sony understocked PS4s, relative to the XB1, at a couple retailers; no restocks since Friday

-Uncharted Bundle got sold earlier than on Friday, leading to less stocks on BF.

-XB1 beasting due to giftcards, coupled with a fair bit of restocking.

-Wii U is actually not dead yet.

In which case, my predictions will be:

[3DS] 350K
[PS4] 1250K
[WIU] 250K
[XB1] 1450K

Another key point to remember is that the NPD tracking period is Nov 1 to the 28th. Not sure when the XB1 restocking would have taken place but I don't think stock levels throughout the entire weekend paint a clear picture of the NPD period.

orochi91

Another key point to remember is that the NPD tracking period is Nov 1 to the 28th. Not sure when the XB1 restocking would have taken place but I don't think stock levels throughout the entire weekend paint a clear picture of the NPD period.

This seems like a really bad idea.

So that means Sunday and Cyber Monday won't count for this month either, which is a shame.

If there was ever a time to have a 5 week tracking period, November should be it.

Boke1879

This seems like a really bad idea.

So that means Sunday and Cyber Monday won't count for this month either, which is a shame.

If there was ever a time to have a 5 week tracking period, November should be it.

I agree. It makes no sense really. But we just have to remember those numbers will be counted for December.

DieH@rd

Banned
Amazon has updated the best-seller rankings for 2015. Surprisingly, Uncharted Collection bundle has jumped and became the best selling console SKU of the ENTIRE 2015!

#28 PS4 Uncharted Collection Bundle
#31 PS4 Game System

#50 Xbox One Assassins Creed Bundle
#72 Xbox One Gears of War Bundle
#98 PS4 Batman Arkham Knight Bundle

BlackFriday2015_ShareGamingConsoles@2x-1.png

Judging by this graphic alone... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because of how poorly the Wii U is actually selling, the Middle Agers aren't buying nearly as many consoles as Millennials. Or else it would still be a 3-horse race.

BlackFriday2015_ShareGamingConsoles@2x-1.png

Judging by this graphic alone... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because of how poorly the Wii U is actually selling, the Middle Agers aren't buying nearly as many consoles as Millennials. Or else it would still be a 3-horse race.

even the millennial distribution for Wii U is too high, PS4/XB1 are doing much more than doubling Wii U most months

PS4 won BF (the Black Friday day) among millennials. XB1 won among Middle Aged people. And that ws within their baseline group they choose for comparison.

I mean it says that right there in the image.
I think you need to read what you linked.
Muh bad, I thought that data was separate from the other conclusion.

Either way, this data and the new data with the Gears bundle can be interpreted in several ways.

Top Bottom