• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

D.Lo

Ok. Got my Famicom Disc System today and I'm trying to get it to work. I've plugged the RAM adapter into the famicom (AV model, modded for RGB output) and plugged the RAM cable into the back of the FDS. I'm using batteries instead of an AV adapter for the FDS but when I turn on the console I just get a white screen, the FDS is making no noise at all. I'm guessing its the batteries fault but I just wanted to get Gaf's opinion on this.
Dirty connector on the RAM adapter.

Even if the FDS isn't plugged in, the RAM adapter should boot like a cart.

Dirty connector on the RAM adapter.

Even if the FDS isn't plugged in, the RAM adapter should boot like a cart.

Yep, you are correct. I cleaned the cart connectors and it booted straight up.

So I've now got the following to enjoy:

My RGB modded AV Famicom, FDS along with Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda 2 and Metroid.

Only issue I have with the FDS is the sound it makes when loading, it sounds like Ganon growling! I do like Metroid FDS though, since its much better to have saving to the disc as opposed to that long password system on the NES version. Loving Super Mario Bros 2 as well, I always wanted the original version of the game (I've only had the Allstars version).

Ok. Got my Famicom Disc System today and I'm trying to get it to work. I've plugged the RAM adapter into the famicom (AV model, modded for RGB output) and plugged the RAM cable into the back of the FDS. I'm using batteries instead of an AV adapter for the FDS but when I turn on the console I just get a white screen, the FDS is making no noise at all. I'm guessing its the batteries fault but I just wanted to get Gaf's opinion on this.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the ram adapter?

Doh, beaten

D.Lo

FDS games, always so kawaii.

So I asked for Bonestorm for my birthday. Mom got me this instead:

IMG_5031fafc2.jpg

IMG_5028d44be.jpg

Ball is in...parking lot.

It's actually not too bad a game. Might be second only to Pro Golfer Saru for NES golf games!

And Grizzly Adams DID have a beard!

Huggers

Was Mario 2 only ever released on the Famicom Disk system?

So got my capture device up and running. Holy shit capturing composite looks rough. Upscaled RGB doesn't look half bad though.

TeaJay

So I asked for Bonestorm for my birthday. Mom got me this instead:

It's actually not too bad a game. Might be second only to Pro Golfer Saru for NES golf games!

Fighting Golf is actually a pretty good game. Oddly enough, I only have the Famicom version nowadays. I got a CIB as a part of a bigger package.

I have fond memories of it, since alongside Mario 1 it was the other game my dad bought when we got the NES back in -89. We used to challenge him in Fighting Golf and he always won, until he didn't any more, in which point he switched to Tetris, and remained unbeaten.

FDS games, always so kawaii.

Yeah, I'm really loving the packaging on these games. Really neat and small so that they are easy to store plus Zelda and Metroid come with some rather nice hefty manuals.

Load times are interesting in each game as well. So far Mario only seems to have a load upon first booting the game, and when you reach World 5.

Zelda loads each time you hit a town or temple and Metroid (so far) only seems to have one rather lengthy load right at the beginning of the game (guessing its loading the entire game into RAM to reduce/eliminate any further load times?)

Has anyone else had any "flickering" issues with Famicom (disk system) games? Basically I'm seeing a small line of pixels flicker at set points in Super Mario Bros 2. I'm not seeing anything similar on Zelda or Metroid, and I'm more curious more than anything if its the disk itself? The game runs perfectly fine though, so its barely an issue, I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar?
The console is running through RGB if that makes any difference.

D.Lo

RAM adapter again.

The disks load entire levels (sometimes the entire game) into RAM then run like a cart.

Flickering pixels sounds like a bad connection on one of the pins.

RAM adapter again.

The disks load entire levels (sometimes the entire game) into RAM then run like a cart.

Flickering pixels sounds like a bad connection on one of the pins.

Once again thanks for the info :) What's the best way to clean the RAM cart? I'll give it a thorough clean tomorrow I just don't want to damage anything.

Aw man, I remember Faxanadu a lot.

When my parent bought us (me and my brothers) a Nintendo, the game it came with was faxanadu. At the time I didnt understand English very well, but still loved to explore it. I had only that game for months, and played a lot of hours on it.

I hated the mantra system... playing for hours to get a non working mantra was not fun, so each time I reached a church i wrote every single one on my mantra book; oh man, the memories...

I've always dreamed about a remake of the game, how would it look in newer systems, orchestral music, etc. and the only game I've encounter that immediately reminded me of faxandu was demons souls: big monsters, all alone on town, potions, magic, big bosses... I even made my brother play it telling him it was a lot like faxanadu, and he played it immediately

The game also had memorable music, at least for me, I always remember the tunes... gonna leave this mantra screen music orchestra arrangement for you guys.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

November has come and gone, and with it our selection of Faxanadu.
I hope everyone had fun. Now we're moving on to Super Mario Bros.
for the month of December!

Wp3Vn5Y.png

Now, Mario 3 is near and dear to my heart, and chances are that if
you've played it, it's near and dear to yours as well. It's one of
the most successful NES titles ever, both critically and commercially,
and its quality is largely unquestioned.

With more than 17 million copies floating around out there, this one
should be easy enough to get if you somehow don't own it already. So
enough of me, let's get to playing and posting!

aj7qvkw.png

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process
The first week of each month, the selection process for the following
month commences. As part of this, each member has the ability to
submit a nomination for the title they think should be the next Game
Of The Month.

At the end of this week, the nominations are tallied in the
following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The list is ordered by the number of votes per nominee.
The top five nominees are selected.In the case of nominees that have
an equal amount of votes either side of the cut-off point, the
title nominated first is selected.During the second week, voting
commences, lasting for one week. Results will be posted in the thread.

Nominate games for future months here: http://goo.gl/forms/3kOrh52aXW

Previous months:
- October 2015
- November 2015

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My Famicom is out for modification these days (which is why I skipped Faxanadu), but really looking forward to participate in this! One of the 20 best games ever!

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Picked up a refurbished NES for my older brother for Christmas (who gave me my own NES, albeit I had to get my own wires/controllers). I got an amazing deal on it, came with all the wires, a new PIN connector, 2 controllers, a Zapper, and SMB/DH/WCTM for $45. Also picked up Life Force and Contra with it for another $30.

Only issue is that the PIN connector has a death grip on cartridges. I was barely able to get out the SMB cart after removing the system casing and pulling/pushing on it for 10 minutes. Except for my Famicom carts due to the adapter being easy to grab, I'm honestly scared to put any part of my regular collection in it.

Teknoman

Not hating on SMB3 in the least bit (of course I just beat it like a month or so ago, so i'll finish up Faxanadu), but everyone remember to vote this time lol.

Picked up a refurbished NES for my older brother for Christmas (who gave me my own NES, albeit I had to get my own wires/controllers). I got an amazing deal on it, came with all the wires, a new PIN connector, 2 controllers, a Zapper, and SMB/DH/WCTM for $45. Also picked up Life Force and Contra with it for another $30.

Only issue is that the PIN connector has a death grip on cartridges. I was barely able to get out the SMB cart after removing the system casing and pulling/pushing on it for 10 minutes. Except for my Famicom carts due to the adapter being easy to grab, I'm honestly scared to put any part of my regular collection in it.

Congrats. Death grip is typical of after market connectors. Even though my "new" connector is now nearly 20 years old itself and the grip has loosened a bit, I actually just purchased an OEM connector for about $9 and I plan to install soon. It's clean but I will probably boil it just to be sure and I plan to go through my collection to thoroughly clean every cart I own after that ... just gotta find some time...

entremet

Wow, I'm learning about the huge amount of Konami games that came out in Japan.

I know D.Lo is probably an expert on these as I remember him posting some pics.

Man, we missed tons of stuff that looks pretty great.

OnPoint

Wow, I'm learning about the huge amount of Konami games that came out in Japan.

I know D.Lo is probably an expert on these as I remember him posting some pics.

Man, we missed tons of stuff that looks pretty great.

We really did miss out on a lot of really cool stuff. I've been slowly buying them, but some are harder to play than others due to the language barrier.

Someone help me out: I have an RGB modded NES top loader, and RGB modded Twin Famicom. The twin's disk drive is kind of finicky so I'm debating whether I should sell both and get an RGB modded AV Famicom with an NES adapter and Fdsstick w/ RAM adapter. I have a fami everdrive N8 but I'm wondering if the difference between the sound on the actual FDS solution compared to the emulated sound in the Everdrive is worth the switch.

Tanoomba

Banned
I'm a 36 year old English teacher and this is my favorite book of all time:

tumblr_nlogejmCJn1ti2g4no1_1280.jpg

Years and years ago, I brought this thing with me to summer camp every damned day and read it over and over from cover to cover. Even as a child I knew that this game went well above and beyond what we expected video games to be capable of. The fact that it still holds up extremely well (even compared to modern games) is a testament to its exceptional design. If I ever have kids, I want them all to be named "Super Mario 3".

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm a 36 year old English teacher and this is my favorite book of all time:

tumblr_nlogejmCJn1ti2g4no1_1280.jpg

Years and years ago, I brought this thing with me to summer camp every damned day and read it over and over from cover to cover. Even as a child I knew that this game went well above and beyond what we expected video games to be capable of. The fact that it still holds up extremely well (even compared to modern games) is a testament to its exceptional design. If I ever have kids, I want them all to be named "Super Mario 3".

Amazing! I know all about reading guides to death like that, even guides to games I didnt own (like Super Metroid and Mega Man X and Willow).

Anyways, I have been watching some Chrontendo lately, and one of the more interesting things are these shadow developers that keeps showing up. I know Tose are still around, even co-developing the amazing Splatoon. But what about the infamous Micronics? Where did they go? And when did it happen?

I have a Famicom and FDS arriving in the mail soon. Can I use an RF modulator designed for channels 3 and 4 with a Famicom? I'm looking for a cheap interim step to test carts and my FDS. I probably won't keep the Famicom and get an AV model instead (which I will have RGB modded eventually).

Huggers

Need some game suggestions for a new vid. Looking for best NES games under £15. I have a few in mind but I'm bound to be missing something obvious

OnPoint

I think I'll finally be setting my NES back up tonight or tomorrow now that I've finished moving. I'm really looking forward to getting back into SMB3. It's been way, way too long.

And as mentioned before, don't forget to vote and make suggestions for January, folks! The rules and links are in the game selection post.

This is astounding. Watch the videos to get a feel for it.

What do you get if you combine the nerdy ingenuity of ETH Zurich, the creativity of Disney researchers, and a swanky Swiss night club with a 360-degree projection system? The world's only cooperative 8-player, 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System capable of continuous, panoramic side-scrolling on that aforementioned 360-degree display, of course.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...s-and-just-one-nintendo-entertainment-system/

Top Bottom