• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Picross |OT| It's been 16 years

Looks like the way to go is to save up whatever you earn so you can unlock areas. Having unlimited energy does sound nice at first, but I'd rather have more content so I can do a puzzle or two a day.

Looks like the way to go is to save up whatever you earn so you can unlock areas. Having unlimited energy does sound nice at first, but I'd rather have more content so I can do a puzzle or two a day.

It makes basically no difference. You're still going to run out of puzzles very quickly either way.

Kouriozan

A legendary appeared in Aera 2 and I got it, sweet.
EDIT : LOL I have 80 picrites and Aera 6 unlock cost exactly that amount.

Berordn

OH WHAT THE HELL, 500 DAMN PICRITES TO DO A MEGA EVOLVE STAGE?!

You only have to pay that once for all the Mega Evolution stages. Same with Mega Picross.

They might as well just said to the people to shell out 30 bucks.

The game encouraging to check the shop on every screen almost does.

Kind of wish they'd get rid of the Pokemon cooldown timers once you've hit the pay limit too. Annoying to have to jump through all those menus every puzzle.

Robin64

Some datamined codes. Have fun.

America

Europe
18587211 -
Secret Stage of Area 04
89907383 -
Secret Stage of Area 03
74326715 -
Secret Stage of Area 05
77742314 -
Secret Stage of Area 05

Japan

Edit: I input the first four Euro codes, and now the Password option has vanished. Probably a daily limit then.

Almyn

As great as this is (mostly because it's picross) I just can't see myself giving them any money for this at the moment. I was tempted to buy the picrites that are on offer, But for the same price I can buy the last Picross e game which I have yet to play. I think I will eventually just spend the £28 or whatever it is and just buy the max amount of picrites, But I'm definitely interested to see how far I can get by just playing a puzzle or two a day at the moment.

Tried a few more times but I'm out.
This is just really shoddy and hugely disappointing.
Considering it's cheaper to buy all of the Picross E games and you'd get more puzzles overall it's crazy to pay the unlock price for this.

I'd love to play a few picross every day, but I can't unlock new areas because I spent Picrites to increase energy limits is just bad design.

Robin64

Oh wait, there are actually only 4 password stages, so only 4 passwords.

I wonder what the other EU ones are. Other languages maybe?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, I did the password stage for Area 3, but completely forgot to use Blue Force despite having the water Pokemon uuuuuugggggggghhhhhh

Not gonna lie, I'm SO tempted to just get unlimited energy now. Feel like buying the 800 for the time being, then seeing how far I can get.

Now why in the world am I not allowed to suddenly add the EXACT amount like I can in the eShop.....or Pokemon Shuffle?

Robin64

Now why in the world am I not allowed to suddenly add the EXACT amount like I can in the eShop.....or Pokemon Shuffle?

It's because of a silly quirk with how they set it up. When the game sees you don't have funds it sends you to the eShop interface to add them, but it isn't purchasing anything at that point. Only after you've topped up does it then let you pick which purchase you want.

Bit of an oversight.

hirokazu

No. It costs Picrites to unlock new areas, and you don't earn enough Picrites from just completing puzzles, so eventually you have to pay. There's really no way to grind, either. Replayed puzzles don't give Picrites, and daily challenges and earning Medals give 3-5 apiece; I need 80 Picrites to unlock the next area, and the price goes up every time.

About an hour or so in, I've basically just hit an insurmountable wall. The Energy Meter really doesn't mean much when you literally can't unlock the next set of puzzles, and it'd take like a month's worth of daily challenges to earn enough Picrites in-game. I'd happily pay like $15-20 to unlock the whole thing, but they're asking more like $40, and it just doesn't seem worth it.
Well that's disappointing. I was just mulling over it, thinking it was technically possible to get stuck without enough Picrites to unlock the next area if you splurge on the energy meter, but it looks like the game almost forces you to pay regardless.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It's because of a silly quirk with how they set it up. When the game sees you don't have funds it sends you to the eShop interface to add them, but it isn't purchasing anything at that point. Only after you've topped up does it then let you pick which purchase you want.

Bit of an oversight.

You may say oversight, I say its intended to encourage people to spend more.

On easier puzzles it's not especially great, but when things get hard in Picross it always seems like I'm overlooking one little square that I can mark. Blue Force would definitely help in those situations to point you to what row or column you should be looking at. Obviously, the usefulness of any power will depend on how good at Picross you are, with them being much more situationally useful the more skilled you are.

I beat up through Zygarde 50% before I left for work earlier (skipping the one Mega I encountered for now to save money). You can go around Zygarde to skip it, but I wanted to try it anyway despite not having the Pokemon needed for the missions. Geeze, that was actually rather difficult. I ran into just one of those walls I mentioned where Blue Force would've been useful but I managed without it (I think Greninja would've worked on that puzzle but I always forget to factor in the grid size to Pokemon choice so didn't have it with me).

I bought both of the one time offers and upgraded my energy to the level just before infinite, which is enough for me for now especially considering this final upgrade is actually kind of costly (400 I think). Kind of accidentally unlocked a third Pokemon slot too, but I think I already ran into a mission which needed 3 Pokemon so guess that's fine. As it is it looks like I can get through around 5-10 more areas without paying for anymore Picrites. I'll probably end up buying the 4000 Picrite bundle at some point though because hey, I'm really liking this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is the worst 3DS Picross by far. Bring back the E series.

Yeah, Blue Force/Navigation are good for when you get stuck and don't realize you're missing some arcane Picross rule. They highlight where it is and then you can figure out the logic behind it.

Pau

Wasn't able to catch Manaphy. Usually in big puzzles if I get stuck I just start over again but the whole stamina thing makes that kind of hard. :(

XaosWolf

As sucky as the pricing is, Nintendo has labelled this as a Free to Start game, which would indicate it being necessary to pay something at some point.

What did they label Rumble and Shuffle as?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As sucky as the pricing is, Nintendo has labelled this as a Free to Start game, which would indicate it being necessary to pay something at some point.

I know Rumble World was labeled "Free to Start", though EU is getting a retail version without the microtransactions.

I'm not sure on Shuffle, but that never hits that wall of "well crap, I'm gonna HAVE to pay to progress further in the game" like Rumble World or this did.

They can call it what they like. If the game was anywhere near the other picross game prices I'd have paid that instantly, but I've nearly hit the wall and there's no way I'm buying 5000 picrites so I'm probably just going to delete the game.

I hate all 3 f2p Pokémon games (despite how long I spent on shuffle). I hope Nintendo's future plans are nothing like these...

UberTag

They can call it what they like. If the game was anywhere near the other picross game prices I'd have paid that instantly, but I've nearly hit the wall and there's no way I'm buying 5000 picrites so I'm probably just going to delete the game.

I hate all 3 f2p Pokémon games (despite how long I spent on shuffle). I hope Nintendo's future plans are nothing like these...
They've managed to take two things I love... Pokemon and Picross... and release something utterly distasteful that I want nothing to do with.

Mission accomplished, Nintendo. All hail the mobile future.

dity

So, my girlfriend is basically addicted to this now. I think she hit the 5000 picrite maximum last night.

YES!! I really don't like that.
Grrrr...

I downloaded the game myself, and you can switch to button controls during the tutorial and on the menu. Right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can still use button controls on the puzzles themselves, but everything else has to be via the stylus.

Really don't feel like adding $10 just to get the $3 or $4 pack, but maybe I'll do that, get another area or two, get another slot open for the missions that require 3 or more Pokemon, get that Mega Pencil, then see how far I can get. I'm getting tempted to upgrade my energy again (I only have 300) but might be one of the last things I do.

You can still use button controls on the puzzles themselves, but everything else has to be via the stylus.

I forget literally every time I go back to the menu.

I don't even mind paying $30 for this, I love Picross & Pokemon, but this stylus thing is super annoying.

Top Bottom