• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Police Arrest 36-Year-Old Man on Suspicion of Tampering With Pokémon Violet Save Data

ManaByte

Police in Japan have arrested a 36-year-old man on suspicion of selling illegally modified Pokémon save data to customers online — a practice which is banned under the country’s 2019 Unfair Competition Prevention Act.

As reported by the Japanese website NHK News, and translated by Automaton, the suspect was apprehended by police on April 9 after a ‘police cyber patrol’ discovered evidence that the individual had used special tools to illegally modify save data for Pokémon Violet in order to change Pokémon move sets.A 36-year-old man was arrest for selling illegally modified Pokemon save data.

The 36-year-old allegedly took custom orders for rare Pokémon, and sold the resulting tampered data between December 2022 to March 2023, for up to 13,000 yen ($84) a time on a website that served as a marketplace for video game assets and items. He also offered deals in which six Pokémon would be created for the equivalent of roughly $30 in yen.

The 36-year-old has reportedly admitted to committing the crimes at the heart of the ongoing investigation, while providing the justification that he did it to earn a living. According to Automaton, the suspect could face up to five years imprisonment, and/or a fine of up to 5 million yen (over $32,600).

GjHPw2u.png

night13x

In America you get a fine.

In Japan you get life in a underground prison while being tortured.

Moral of the story? Don't mess with digital pokemon pixels or else. Serious Business.

BlackTron

Oh yea, because that makes what happened totally fine

It would be far, FAR more extreme to arrest someone just for tampering with save data. The important part that he was actually arrested for, selling it, was conveniently omitted from the headline.

Thousands of people are editing Pokemon saves every day. This headline makes them sound like enemies of the Japanese government for this act alone. Thanks again, IGN.

Draugoth

Gold Member
He was selling Pokémon on the internet, not because he hacked the save itself. $84 for a hacked pokémon is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

winjer

Gold Member
I know Japan is one of the safest countries on earth, but how bored was the police when they decided to investigate this "crime".

ReyBrujo

I know Japan is one of the safest countries on earth, but how bored was the police when they decided to investigate this "crime".

That's why it's so safe, you wouldn't want to walk the same street as that hacker!

I guess this was his ad?

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Isnt crime in Japan nonexistant? I bet the police has nothing to do.

Crime exists, but unlike America, you actually get locked up when you commit a crime in Japan. Shinzo Abe, the former prime minister of Japan, was assassinated just a couple years ago. The killer is facing a life sentence.

Topher

Gold Member
Crime exists, but unlike America, you actually get locked up when you commit a crime in Japan. Shinzo Abe, the former prime minister of Japan, was assassinated just a couple years ago. The killer is facing a life sentence.

A.Romero

I've heard that they have an unusually high conviction rate, to me that sounds like cops are doing an excellent job or the system is focused on the wrong aspects.

StereoVsn

I've heard that they have an unusually high conviction rate, to me that sounds like cops are doing an excellent job or the system is focused on the wrong aspects.
The reason for high conviction rate is because there is no presumption of innocence and also because of very high pressure tactics by Japanese cops. They can hold people on pretty much solitary almost indefinitely

AmuroChan

America has harsher punishments. Thats not the reason why crime is low in Japan...

America may have harsher punishments on the books, but in many urban cities, Soros-backed DAs are prosecuting less and less criminals. So they get arrested, and then just go right back out into the streets within 24 hours. Yes, crime rate isn't going to be affected by just one variable. My response was to the poster who asked if crime exists at all in Japan.

• Fire
Top Bottom