• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzz! Quiz World for PS3 (US release 11/10)

Chairhome

Too lazy to make an official thread.

IGN gave it a 9.0.

New features: new categories, player profiles to keep records, and the announcer can call on you by name now (preset list of names)

Anyone getting it? I'm excited cause it kind of creeped up and is releasing tomorrow. Probably going to pick up the bundle with 4 buzzers so I can get in on some sweet 8 player action. And I just learned right now that 8 player local play was supported in Buzz Quiz TV, as well. I had no idea :-(

I did look for used buzzers at Gamestop, but they seem to only be carrying the wired ones (as far as I know)... a set of 4 used wired buzzers for 99 cents is a good deal. But I prefer the wireless ones.

woodypop

Will definitely be picking this up. Love the game.

Where can I find a list of all the available preset names?

I'm very interested, because Buzz is one of my favorite PS3 party games. It's a lot of fun to play with a group of friends.

I would like to know what is going to happen to all my DLC I bought for the first game though. Will this sequel be able to tap into those question packs, or will I have to buy more stuff for this new game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The one thing that really bugged me about the last PS3 one (my first Buzz) was so few question types, and even some of those were really uninspired (hit the person with the pie in particular). Didn't care for the host either. Still got a fair amount of DLC and played a solid few dozen games though.

I miss YDKJ. :/

lorddct

I hope they put in more options so you can have more rounds instead of just 3 when playing with a ton of people. Also to be able to choose more game modes instead of the basic 3!

Chairhome

Pristine_Condition said:
I'm very interested, because Buzz is one of my favorite PS3 party games. It's a lot of fun to play with a group of friends.

I would like to know what is going to happen to all my DLC I bought for the first game though. Will this sequel be able to tap into those question packs, or will I have to buy more stuff for this new game?
According to what I've read, you'll still be able to use the DLC packs. In fact, I forgot to include it in my original post, but if you pre-order the game from Amazon, you get a free Comedy TV pack via code. It used to be comedy TV or Video Game pack, but I guess they changed the bonus.

I'm starting to find out that the wireless buzzers are not available used anywhere... I'll probably end up buying the wired ones since they're so cheap and I don't foresee going past 4 players most of the time. But man, I love wireless.

Chairhome

Sorry I didn't post it earlier, but here are links to a few reviews:
The Sixth Axis
IGN

excerpt from the sixth axis review regarding modes:
Sixth Axis said:
But better than all of that is playing Buzz! Quiz World online over the PlayStation Network. You can now play with up to 4 people on your PS3 against another 4 people from around the world. You can player 4 vs. 4, or 2 people on your PS3 and 6 random people online. It all just works too. In an era where online modes are promising a lot, only to fall down due to complicated menu systems or broken laggy performance, Buzz Quiz World never ceases to impress. It is quick and easy to jump into a game (how many times have you heard that before and then be disappointed?), the games are well paced and you get a full 6 round game each time. You can also play using the brilliant MyBuzz user generated quiz questions. All in all, the online mode is highly accomplished, slick and great fun.

Local multiplayer has also had a bit of a spruce up too. In the past, if you played with more than 4 players (between five and eight) the game would be shorter and with limited round types. But now, you can play a full length game of Buzz with 8 people, which is a real blast. The front end menu is now easier to navigate (with descriptions beneath each game mode) and it all adds up to being a great night-in experience for everyone to enjoy.

Chairhome

Anyone have a chance to pick it up yet? I think my wife and I are in agreement that we want 4 new wireless remotes, so I'm looking for the bundle. Unfortunately, I can only find one Best Buy relatively close by that seems to be carrying the bundle. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow (pay day!)...

Ill probably grab this one day soon... My roommates love Buzz: Quiz TV... Its probably the most played game on my playstation this term...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The ability to take people playing on the same console online with me sounds great. Gonna need to upgrade.

Now if only there were a market for used copies of Buzz TV...without the buzzers.

Chairhome

So, been playing it this past weekend and its great. I've only had as large as a 5 player game locally, but its still been great. The only downside is that you can't do certain things with more than 4 players: you can't do "Serious Questions only" "Crazy Rounds" or go online with more than 4 players. I believe you can't do the timed games, either (15 or 45 min games). However, you can do the standard game with up to 8 people, and I believe that was a feature missing from the previous edition.

The game is much better than the last iteration, in my opinion. They finally switch up the rounds as opposed to the last game where you always knew the order in which the rounds would take place. There are new round types, such as boiling point where you must be the first to answer 6 questions correctly.

For me, the best thing about it so far is taking it online with 1-4 people and trying to beat another group. Was able to connect easily on Friday, but sadly, when I tried to go online on Sunday, I couldn't connect to a game... I'm hoping its not cause nobody else has the game :-(

The name support is a welcome edition, but only really common names show up. If your name doesn't come up, you have to stick with a nickname (I've been using "Kiddo").

I think its a great update that improves on many of the flaws of the last game. I haven't played any other buzz prior to Quiz TV, so I can't compare. Fun times.

johnnylineup

Neo Member
Just played around in a game, I like it so far, but with only one game in me I can't give much of a reliable opinion. My gf noticed a lack of characters, and there doesn't seem to be an option to choose your own name for your character, which seems a little odd. I'm gonna see if you can unlock anything in the game and report back. Overall though, very much like the first ps3 buzz, so if you like that, I see no reason to get this one....

woodypop

Just picked it up a couple hours ago. Probably won't be able to give it a proper whirl until this weekend, but definitely looking forward to it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It sucks that they couldn't figure out some way to make the Quiz TV packs compatible with this version. I've barely played through them at all and I'd love to be able to do them with 5+. They released so many too. :/

gcubed

AstroLad said:
It sucks that they couldn't figure out some way to make the Quiz TV packs compatible with this version. I've barely played through them at all and I'd love to be able to do them with 5+. They released so many too. :/

since when havent they been compatible? i thought they said they were?

also explicitly mentioned in the US Blog post...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/buzz-quiz-world-launches-next-week-on-ps3/

But, the fun doesn’t need to end there. BUZZ! Quiz World will be supported after launch with downloadable quiz packs from PlayStation Network. Quiz packs previously purchased for BUZZ! Quiz TV will also work with BUZZ! Quiz World. We’ll also be launching a BUZZ! Quiz World title for PSP very soon, but we’ll have more information on that at a later date.

agm2502

AstroLad said:
The quiz tv question packs are compatible with quiz world

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah, great news. I literally unwrapped this yesterday and just went in game to check the store through the game and it said no content (I woulda bought the remaining TV packs I hadn't bought) so I figured no compatibility. Thanks for clearing that up.

gcubed

AstroLad said:
Ah, great news. I literally unwrapped this yesterday and just went in game to check the store through the game and it said no content (I woulda bought the remaining TV packs I hadn't bought) so I figured no compatibility. Thanks for clearing that up.

got me nervous! I was looking to pick this up and have a lot of packs purchased already.

Chairhome

Just wanted to chime in and say that this game is pretty great. I like the variety of the rounds as compared to the previous games. 8 player is really fun, too. I'm not sure if a lot of people are online, I usually don't end up playing full 8 player games :-/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So had a bummer of an experience with this over the holidays. The IR dongle broke on the plane over. I thought any IR dongle would work but I guess not as I tried to use one from the Nyko remote and it won't detect any of the Buzz controllers still. :/

DrLazy

Anyone else have trouble going online and using the "my buzz" feature?

I made a quiz specifically for my family christmas party and had trouble connecting. The servers sucked. However, eventually I connected.

But then I would select a "playlist" with 8 quizes, but only the first quiz would play! It would automatically quit after the first quiz.

I never had this problem when I made old playlists. I spent a lot of time making the quiz and my family was pretty disappointed. We had a tournament going on.

Am I missing something? Anybody else experienced "my buzz" problems?

Ardorx

Banned
AstroLad said:
So had a bummer of an experience with this over the holidays. The IR dongle broke on the plane over. I thought any IR dongle would work but I guess not as I tried to use one from the Nyko remote and it won't detect any of the Buzz controllers still. :/

You didn't break an IR dongle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ardorx said:
You didn't break an IR dongle.
yes something i learned. also learned that the buzzers only work with the dongle they come with. well played sony well played

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just picked this game up tonight from Best Buy from a pricing error. They had a wireless controller bundle box sitting underneath the $19.99 price tag. I brought it to the counter and it rung up $39.99 (still a pretty good deal!) but I said it was $19.99 and showed him the tag. The cashier did a "whatever" and did a price override for me for $20. I'm pretty sure that the price tag was for the disc only... but they were out of discs.

Either way, this game's awesome! My girlfriend and I love playing online. Sorry to bump an old thread, this game is $39.99 at Best Buy right now though, if you want to pick it up!

Top Bottom