• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

Kouriozan

I don't know if Minecraft will be there at NX launch. But the choice of Wii U over 3ds to release Minecraft strikes me as odd and I believe it might hide an ulterior motive.

Isn't NX supposed to "absorb" Wii U architecture or something like that. That would make Wii U -> NX ports really quick and easy.

lherre

Accurate
Unless there is no need to send devkits because the game can run as-is on NX. Which could mean that next gen Nintendo home and handheld Minecraft is already practically done and could explain why there is no 3ds version (which at a glance might make a lot more sense than a Wii U version).

This things don't usually work like this ... you have to pass some QA tests, etc, and you need the hardware to perform them. It doesn't matter if it uses BC.

lherre

Accurate
I don't know if Minecraft will be there at NX launch. But the choice of Wii U over 3ds to release Minecraft strikes me as odd and I believe it might hide an ulterior motive.

Maybe technical reasons ... (yes I know they said there is no technical reason to not bring Minecraft for 3DS ... the thing is ... I don't believe this coments :p)

Nintendo has already talked about their desire to achieve platform agnosticism. I think it is possible that Minecraft Wii U might need very light modification to release for NX. They could send Mojang NX devkits, say 5 months prior to the NX launch. There would theoretically be enough time to touch up and put up on the e-shop. Just speculating.
But this only applies to NX right ? We don't know yet what agenda Nintendo has for the WiiU once the successor releases. Will there be cross-platform content or technology available to extend WiiU's lifespan or to minimze up-porting workload to NX ? I doubt it and one reason I am being skeptical is that NX is rumoured to be an Android-based platform with most likely off-the-shelf components. There is nothing in there that would point towards any effort to achieve platform agnosticism with the WiiU.

Xbro

The wiiu eshop is updated all the time and i checked this morning and it was at 9. I guess the gap between 9 and 8 was big, but after that everyone was on the same level. Now only DQX and Splatoon are above.

No, there are some situations when the website itself doesn't update for a bit. In cases like these to get numbers you need to go to the actual Japanese eshop from one of the devices.

Oregano

Maybe technical reasons ... (yes I know they said there is no technical reason to not bring Minecraft for 3DS ... the thing is ... I don't believe this coments :p)

Considering how Minecraft Wii U is a bog standard port I think it's more like the 3DS would require a lot of work rather than it actually being impossible.

Also I'm not sure Nintendo would care about a branch of Microsoft having development kits for an upcoming system. Competitor's work with each other all the time and companies have strict procedures to ensure confidential information like that is kept localised. It'd open Microsoft up to a massive lawsuit and damage their reputation.

The more likely reason Minecraft won't appear near NX launch is that it would require Nintendo to be proactive with a third party. The fact the Wii U only just got Minecraft should tell you how bad they are at that.

Kid Ying

No, there are some situations when the website itself doesn't update for a bit. In cases like these to get numbers you need to go to the actual Japanese eshop from one of the devices.
I was referring to the console eshop, not the website.

My reaction would be them trying Inazuma Eleven again.

Do you think so? I feel Inazuma Eleven is the typical IP that pasted its prime - as 99% of IPs targeted towards children. I do think Professor Layton is a way stronger IP for them - a defining one, well-known in Western countries and soon to celebrate 10 years in the market. I totally expect a mobile revival for the IP (the structure of the game can be easily reworked to accomodate micro-transactions and fast playing), but a collection on dedicated devices would be nice as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you think so? I feel Inazuma Eleven is the typical IP that pasted its prime - as 99% of IPs targeted towards children. I do think Professor Layton is a way stronger IP for them - a defining one, well-known in Western countries and soon to celebrate 10 years in the market. I totally expect a mobile revival for the IP (the structure of the game can be easily reworked to accomodate micro-transactions and fast playing), but a collection on dedicated devices would be nice as well.
I'm basing this primarily on him talking about how they were planning to reboot Inazuma Eleven for the seventh game which struck me as an implication it probably exists as opposed to a more theoretical "if we ever returned to this franchise" discussion: http://inazuma.pmsinfirm.org/?p=349

What do you imagine next for Inazuma Eleven?

Pres Hino: I’d like to change the gameplay altogether. Along with making it interesting, the gameplay needs to be completely new. It can’t be just another game where you collect characters, have matches and have a new system. That just makes it the same as the previous games, so I’m aiming to change the essence of the gameplay next time. If we don’t change that, even if we release a Part 7, then people will say they’ll just keep playing Part 6 (Big Bang/Supernova).

That said he does imply they have people thinking about Layton and Danball as well while acknowledging their milking problem:

He was asked to give his rating of LEVEL-5’s other titles in the year 2013

Pres Hino: Our company has a lot to think over when it comes to the Inazuma Eleven, Danball Senki, and Professor Layton series. I spoke with the staff about this as well, but it seemed like we were just milking as much as we could from our past fortune. We put out new titles like Youkai Watch and Fantasy Life, but even then we thought Inazuma Eleven could be our pillar of support through it all. But that was a naive thought.

I hadn’t intended to depend on any certain series in the first place. But I thought Inazuma Eleven would be fine regardless and continue to sell. But the world isn’t that easy. If you aren’t presenting something new, customers won’t laugh at the same joke every time. I think I was being a bit naive about that aspect.

Case in point, the latest works Inazuma Eleven GO Galaxy Big Bang/Supernova, Danball Senki Wars, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, etc have lower sales numbers than their predecessors. In layman’s terms, people are tired of the same thing… Even if all these series have a future, there’s no point in making more if they present nothing new.

Each of these series have their niche fans, and it’s true that many are saying “I look forward to the next game!”, but if we can’t continue presenting them something new and interesting, even those fans will part ways. If those fans are going to say “I won’t buy it this time”, then we shouldn’t force ourselves to make it. Each team is doing their best to make things right now, but there’s no point if they don’t present something new.

Looks like war has been declared.

fYva5aO.jpg

L~A

Just like Nirolak, I think a new Inazuma Eleven is much more likely than anything else, for several reasons:

- Inazuma Eleven does fit the bill for "popular series"
- IE is a cross-media franchise for kids, which is exactly what Level-5 is known for
- Layton series has Layton 7 in the works...... whatever the hell it's supposed to be (I still have no idea). I think Hino would have named it directly if it was that game. IE doesn't really have anything.
- IE was Level-5's most/one of the most popular IPs, especially in Japan (and still popular in Europe, irrc), so it would make sense they'd try to revive it.

And what Nirolak posted kind of "confirm" my suspicions. Question is: which platform?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just like Nirolak, I think a new Inazuma Eleven is much more likely than anything else, for several reasons:

- Inazuma Eleven does fit the bill for "popular series"
- IE is a cross-media franchise for kids, which is exactly what Level-5 is known for
- Layton series has Layton 7 in the works...... whatever the hell it's supposed to be (I still have no idea). I think Hino would have named it directly if it was that game. IE doesn't really have anything.
- IE was Level-5's most/one of the most popular IPs, especially in Japan (and still popular in Europe, irrc), so it would make sense they'd try to revive it.

And what Nirolak posted kind of "confirm" my suspicions. Question is: which platform?
Well it says being announced next year instead of released next year so basically weigh the odds of a 3DS game in 2017-2018.

saichi

While it might be true, none of the other suggested IP is in their prime either though. Layton had the same decline as IE. LBX was never that popular. WKC and DK were even less so. A weakened IE is still the most popular IP out of all of them.

Given what Hino said, Inazuma Eleven seems the best fit, indeed. I wonder how the IP will be reworked.

While it might be true, none of the other suggested IP is in their prime either though. Layton had the same decline as IE. LBX was never that popular. WKC and DK were even less so. A weakened IE is still the most popular IP out of all of them.

In Japan, the last Prof: Layton game sold around 250k units, while the last Inazuma Eleven aorund 280k units - they're pretty close.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If they announce a new IE with a new anime series associated next year to be released probably on NX or mobile the year after, that could be a usual pace for cartoons relaunches as for example ben 10 or other. IE is still pretty popular in EU too where they could still find an audience for the airing of the series and for the games.

hiska-kun

The usual blog, the usual source.
(Numbers from Media Create)

[PSV] Miracle Girls Festival <ACT> (Sega) {2015.12.17} (¥7.549) - 27.484 / NEW
>
[WIU] Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2015.12.26} (¥7.236)
>
[PSV] Omega Labyrinth <RPG> (D3 Publisher) {2015.11.19} (¥7.344) - 25.113 / NEW

Oregano

The first HD RPG from Atlus sold worse than a cheap Miku re-skin on Vita. That's something.

It's damn shame because it looks like Codename Steam. A well made game that just doesn't resonate at all with the target audience.

I hope it's better than Codename Steam though. Cheap ass respawning enemies!

ZoddGutts

>
>

It's a Miracle!

Dee Dee

I love it, it's so bad!
(Am I doing it right? I never saw "The Wizard".)

Poor #FE, it bombed and to no one's surprise. There will even be people saying it surpassed their expectations to shame it even more.
If the blog is correct it can at least outsell Bayonetta 2.

Congrats to Ryng-Tolu by the way, whose outrageous Splatoon predictions have turned into reality. Shine on you crazy diamond - 1.5 million LTD here we come.

Edit: Oh shit, they are banned. Hope I didn't bring up a sensitive topic there.

I love it, it's so bad!
(Am I doing it right? I never saw "The Wizard".)

Poor #FE, it bombed and to no one's surprise. There will even be people saying it surpassed their expectations to shame it even more.
If the blog is correct it can at least outsell Bayonetta 2.

Congrats to Ryng-Tolu by the way, whose outrageous Splatoon predictions have turned into reality. Shine on you crazy diamond - 1.5 million LTD here we come.

Edit: Oh shit, they are banned. Hope I didn't bring up a sensitive topic there.

outsell Bayonetta 2 by starting out lower? interesting tactic

>
>

I swear to god someone posted more than a week ago when we first got Miracle Girls COMG numbers something about "wouldn't it be funny if Miku reskin sold more than #FE?" and here we are.

Crikey.

FluxWaveZ

I swear to god someone posted more than a week ago when we first got Miracle Girls COMG numbers something about "wouldn't it be funny if Miku reskin sold more than #FE?" and here we are.

Crikey.

Someone did, though it didn't seem that outrageous given the prospects.

Vena

Crikey.

#FE will be the first game with 300% digital sales. :p

Kid Ying

The last time bayonetta appeared at MC was at the top 1000 of the last year with 60k.

Usually RPGs are more frontloaded, and this one even sold less than bayo 2 in its first week. Who knows though.

maxcriden

Wasn't there already a peculiar Layton mobile reboot announced in the past year or two? I remember it looked like a puzzling departure from the series.

Ōkami

If the 21% sell through figured were applied to all of Japan it'd mean Nintendo shipped about 100k units of &#9839;FE.

Jeez, at least they were carefully with last year's bomba and only shipped like 65k, unless word of mouth for the game is really good it'll found itself on bomba bins very soon.

Kid Ying

That figure was for the first day only and since its holidays people spend more. Its really unlikely that retailers ordered that many copies when the game was not doing that high on preorder and if they did that, well, its their loss, since nintendo already got the money, much more than anyone could expect in this case.

Mario007

And the second one will probably outsell every game on Vita bar Minecraft.
Technically wont P5 be their third HD game since Cathrine was their first?
That figure was for the first day only and since its holidays people spend more. Its really unlikely that retailers ordered that many copies when the game was not doing that high on preorder and if they did that, well, its their loss, since nintendo already got the money, much more than anyone could expect in this case.
Yay&#65292; all is well. Nintendo got the money so we can all rest easy come the next ME thread.

Vena

&#332;kami;190735587 said:
If the 21% sell through figured were applied to all of Japan it'd mean Nintendo shipped about 100k units of &#9839;FE.

Jeez, at least they were carefully with last year's bomba and only shipped like 65k, unless word of mouth for the game is really good it'll found itself on bomba bins very soon.

I very highly doubt that, remember that 21% was only first day sell-through. I see no reason any retailer would have seemingly gone insane to order that much of the game. I much sooner expect the shipment to be 50k.

hiska-kun

The 21% sell-through is from a single retailer and probably bundles not included.
The blog didn't share the national sell-through. It will probably be higher than that.

Top Bottom