• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

Vena

Dunno, but Samatha is going to be showing up in FF Brave Exvius starting today! Get hype?! Lol.

But I don't like her...

What is the size of the studio they have anyway? Is an actual console game even feasible for them to make, or even a handheld game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But I don't like her...

What is the size of the studio they have anyway? Is an actual console game even feasible for them to make, or even a handheld game?
Mistwalker isn't doing anything beyond a mobile game or notably small scale downloadable game without help.

duckroll

That's a really disingenuous article, which again shows how poorly equipped game blogsites are in handling actual game journalism. This is a regular annual 4Gamer article which is actually very interesting in terms of showing what a big slice of developers in the Japanese game industry thought of entertainment in the past year. They are polled on what game caught their attention the most, what movie they liked best, what personalities in the industry they paid attention to, and what they have to say about the coming year. There is nothing to "win" because this is not a vote or a contest like they made it sound. No votes are tallied, but rather every person who participates talks briefly about why they picked the choices they did. Reducing a 9 page article with a ton of text telling us what sort of entertainment game developers consumed over the year and why they liked what they did into "Splatoon wins by a landslide" is bafflingly unhelpful, especially when they interviewed 146 people and Splatoon is only mentioned less than 30 times.

/rant

DrWong

That's a really disingenuous article, which again shows how poorly equipped game blogsites are in handling actual game journalism. This is a regular annual 4Gamer article which is actually very interesting in terms of showing what a big slice of developers in the Japanese game industry thought of entertainment in the past year. They are polled on what game caught their attention the most, what movie they liked best, what personalities in the industry they paid attention to, and what they have to say about the coming year. There is nothing to "win" because this is not a vote or a contest like they made it sound. No votes are tallied, but rather every person who participates talks briefly about why they picked the choices they did. Reducing a 9 page article with a ton of text telling us what sort of entertainment game developers consumed over the year and why they liked what they did into "Splatoon wins by a landslide" is bafflingly unhelpful, especially when they interviewed 146 people and Splatoon is only mentioned less than 30 times.

/rant
Thx for the details. Let's wait for a proper report/translation then.

duckroll

Thanks for posting. See, this is why Gematsu has a better rep than the other sites which translate Japanese news. Considering the context of the news and trying to inform based on that context is important.

Vena

Minecraft on NX would be bigger than Dragon Quest.

I'd say that it being there close to or at launch will be almost guaranteed given how these sales are going. Microsoft wants the game on every platform and system that can run it at this point, and good sales will make them want to do it faster.

duckroll

Hino will no doubt be inspired by the release of the new Star Wars and the success it is seeing, and next year we will see a new Level 5 Vision announcement of Professor Layton Episode VII: The Puzzle Awakens on 3DS/NX.

Sandfox

Its amazing how Level-5 botched Layton 7 twice when they probably could've just taken the formula of the other games in the series and made something cool for mobile.

Hino will no doubt be inspired by the release of the new Star Wars and the success it is seeing, and next year we will see a new Level 5 Vision announcement of Professor Layton Episode VII: The Puzzle Awakens on 3DS/NX.

That sounds like it would be the next YW spinoff.

Oregano

Gematsu has a translation: http://gematsu.com/2015/12/japanese...es-sequel-cyberconnect2-anniversary-surprises

I'm curious about what Akihiro Hino refers to as Level-5's "sequel to a very popular series" being announced next year. I first thought Yo-Kai Watch 3 but that's already been announced.

I'm guessing Dark Cloud or White Knight Chronicles with Sony.

I don't feel that's entirely the reason. With full priced retail products, I feel they're also testing the value of their brand by seeing if there is a market for a more fleshed out and substantial version of a F2P title.

Where's Terra Battle?!

I actually thought The Last Story content was Nintendo trying to grease the wheels for a 3DS version.

Go_Ly_Dow

Its nearly 2016 and Hino will still be head of Level 5.

Tell us how you really feel. :p

Where's my new Dark Cloud? :(

Takao

Banned
I'm guessing Dark Cloud or White Knight Chronicles with Sony.

One of those is really stretching the definition of popular, and they just missed the perfect opportunity to announce the other. Logically, neither makes much sense either. Level-5 is almost exclusively a 3DS and mobile developer, but they have two large-scale PS4 projects in development? One of which they don't even own? When they're not developing Dragon Quest XI and haven't done a contract game in more than 5 years? Yeah ... I'd guess a proper Professor Layton revival or a new Inazuma Eleven.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*checks*

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I guess the site was horrendously outdated? Or the #9-#3 gap was that small to literally jump 6 places in a day?

As for Bayo 2, that's on sale for folks with a Nintendo Account, so that's surely why.

It's becuse the charts on the page haven't been updated for a few days. So, it climbed rankings while updates weren't given. Still, already 3rd? At this point (depending on when it surpassed Mario Maker) I suppose it shouldn't be that far from 100,000 units sold...

Out of curiosity: how's it doing in US? The ceiling is probably quite higher to enter All-Time charts, but is it first in Current Charts, at least? Here in Italy, it's been third since its release (yesterday's the last time I checked).

Kid Ying

*checks*

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I guess the site was horrendously outdated? Or the #9-#3 gap was that small to literally jump 6 places in a day?

As for Bayo 2, that's on sale for folks with a Nintendo Account, so that's surely why.
The wiiu eshop is updated all the time and i checked this morning and it was at 9. I guess the gap between 9 and 8 was big, but after that everyone was on the same level. Now only DQX and Splatoon are above.

Also, Bayo 2 is selling well these days cause there's a new promotion if you use the new account. Pikmkn and Mario kart 8 are also selljng better than the usual. Next week lots of games will get discounts too, but its not a huge discount as it is now with those games. Its pretty crazy to see, since Japan eshop never had sales at all.

And for #fe, well, its only below the biggest games on the console now and the mother séries, which had discounts, so its better than i expected.

CANLI

Just bought The Bayonetta's on the jap eshop. It has 40% sale.
With the 10% that Nintendo offers until february, it costs me ~35 €.
And the game has english language option.
But hey.. 32 go in total is more than the internal memory lolll

I'm wondering if this game has become a millionseller or not..

And tomorrow: planning to buy Runbow, Fast Racing Neo and Mario Maker too. It's been almost one year that I didn't buy anything on it.

Qblivion

/rant

Not to mention the fact that nichegamer is a disgusting gator site.

It's becuse the charts on the page haven't been updated for a few days. So, it climbed rankings while updates weren't given. Still, already 3rd? At this point (depending on when it surpassed Mario Maker) I suppose it shouldn't be that far from 100,000 units sold...

Out of curiosity: how's it doing in US? The ceiling is probably quite higher to enter All-Time charts, but is it first in Current Charts, at least? Here in Italy, it's been third since its release (yesterday's the last time I checked).
I am amazed by how powerful Minecraft is. It's a Western game selling like hot cakes on a 'dead platform'... in Japan.
It is certain NX will need it at launch.

Eolz

I'd say that it being there close to or at launch will be almost guaranteed given how these sales are going. Microsoft wants the game on every platform and system that can run it at this point, and good sales will make them want to do it faster.

I'd think that as well, but I doubt Nintendo would send a devkit of an unannounced console to MS at this point.

Mato

I'd think that as well, but I doubt Nintendo would send a devkit of an unannounced console to MS at this point.

Unless there is no need to send devkits because the game can run as-is on NX. Which could mean that next gen Nintendo home and handheld Minecraft is already practically done and could explain why there is no 3ds version (which at a glance might make a lot more sense than a Wii U version).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Minecraft for NX launch would be good especially for a general third party nintendo management

So.I doubt it will happen

Mato

Minecraft for NX launch would be good especially for a general third party nintendo management

So.I doubt it will happen

If MS and Nintendo had a talk about Minecraft, Nintendo could have expressed a preference for a Wii U version. With an eye on easy future portability obviously. If it can run on NX then it would be rather straightforward to do.

L~A

It took almost a year for Minecraft to come out on PS4 and XB1, so Minecraft NX on Day-1 (not just retro-compatibility) would take much more than just good third-party relations.

Mpl90

An update from Italy: Minecraft is now 8th in the Wii U only All-time chart. ...I don't even how, it was lower than Fast in those charts (now 14th in the same charts). Minecraft is 13th in the Overall (Wii U + VC) All-Time italian chart.

Mpl90

It took almost a year for Minecraft to come out on PS4 and XB1, so Minecraft NX on Day-1 (not just retro-compatibility) would take much more than just good third-party relations.

Yeah, the game released in 2014 for One and PS4. I remember it was planned to be there at launch though, correct? Minecraft would be a great launch title btw, but we'll see if Nintendo makes it happen that fast. It's difficult, right now. Still, it'll probably be released in the first year of the console's life.

Oregano

One of those is really stretching the definition of popular, and they just missed the perfect opportunity to announce the other. Logically, neither makes much sense either. Level-5 is almost exclusively a 3DS and mobile developer, but they have two large-scale PS4 projects in development? One of which they don't even own? When they're not developing Dragon Quest XI and haven't done a contract game in more than 5 years? Yeah ... I'd guess a proper Professor Layton revival or a new Inazuma Eleven.

Who said they are PS4 games? ;)

Nah but seriously my first guess would have been Fantasy Life or Layton but Fantasy Life 2 and Layton 7 are both things(well kinda anyway). Inazuma Eleven and Little Battlers have both faded completely away and it would seem weirdly late to try to revive them on 3DS(although Mobile is a possibility).

Hino also made a comment about wanting to make a game bigger than WKC which seems a strange thing to say in relation to Nino Kuni 2 and Sony put Dark Cloud at the forefront of PS2-on-PS4.

I could of course be totally wrong(wouldn't be the first time).

Mato

I don't know if Minecraft will be there at NX launch. But the choice of Wii U over 3ds to release Minecraft strikes me as odd and I believe it might hide an ulterior motive.

Eolz

Unless there is no need to send devkits because the game can run as-is on NX. Which could mean that next gen Nintendo home and handheld Minecraft is already practically done and could explain why there is no 3ds version (which at a glance might make a lot more sense than a Wii U version).

You never make a game run "as-is". They could give some indications of course, but giving specs to MS and S-E (for example) is a whole different beast. Even if MS learn otherwise about those (like other publishers knowing how to get secrets), this is not something you want to do with a direct competitor.
For the 3DS, it just can't run Minecraft. There's no specific reason to search apart from that. The different clones on the eshop work differently in terms of engine and features, and it would require something even more customised and feature-light to work.

edit for below: Of course they can (and will) send devkits later, but won't do it before some months after NX is revealed. My point is that I'd be surprised if it's a launch window (6 months?) NX title, even if they don't need a lot of work (from the WiiU version or PS4/X1, etc).

Mato

Nintendo has already talked about their desire to achieve platform agnosticism. I think it is possible that Minecraft Wii U might need very light modification to release for NX. They could send Mojang NX devkits, say 5 months prior to the NX launch. There would theoretically be enough time to touch up and put up on the e-shop. Just speculating.

Top Bottom