• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

Vena

I guess that Vita will sell better in week 52 this year compared to last? The gap is shrinking, I wonder if it can close the gap before the week 53

It may be higher, but it certainly won't be because of the tar fire that is Gundam EVSF if that's what you're looking at.

hiska-kun

Debuting one rank above Exist Archive would have been kinda mediocre if the lauched were aligned, but this is Exist Archive's week 2. Looks like there is no Fortissimo Edition on Tsutaya though, it is supposed to be above the standard one. And this is when the Wii U is having the best momentum of the year. What kind of message are Wii U users sending here ? Basically, two games are enough for the whole year, thanks ? Is Tsubasa Oribe getting a micro-bikini for the NX port ? So much questions.

Exist Archive will be the only game (and Star Wars), that won't be present on MC ranks. Don't read to much on this.

#FE is just below Sumikko Gurashi (19k last week), that will probably be higher this week.
You can guess ~20k for the regular edition then. Fortissimo Edition is over Taiko no Tatsujin on WiiU top 10 chart. we can guess around10k for it. That makes 30k in total for #FE.
The bundle is not included, but it was super limited and the only version that sold out, let's say 5k.
35k for #FE sounds possible.

Still, remember that this is just extrapolating from Tsutaya, so the final result can be very different.

Ōkami;190591130 said:
By the looks of things Nintendo won't be releasing the Wii U version of the newest Mario & Sonic in Japan.

So that's a grand total of 5 Wii U games for Japan in 2016: Mario Tennis, Pokken, Star Fox and two Zelda games.

I don't know what the fuck is going on with the Wii U version. The silence has been deafening IMO.

I'm thinking/hoping they're just improving it and getting an NX console/handheld/both port for launch?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ya we did some more digging and comparing numbers, and probably not that high. We'll have to wait and see with the NPD what Volkampf is tracking in-game. Japan was easy since its own region, but the western release may not be discriminating between the other two regions.

Care to give a link or a summary about this update?

Care to give a link or a summary about this update?

there's ingame stats for tyrant kills in the game. since that particular tyrant is story related, only 1 can be killed per save. using that no. can estimate the game sales. originally we thought the no. is unique per region but recent checks seems to show that NA & EU are sharing the no.

Ya we did some more digging and comparing numbers, and probably not that high. We'll have to wait and see with the NPD what Volkampf is tracking in-game. Japan was easy since its own region, but the western release may not be discriminating between the other two regions.

Do we know if the number of Japanese players was at 80k or lower before the western launch?
Diffense said:
Sooo...based on the number of people who faced an early tyrant
Volkampf, The Pursuer
I guess about 80,000 people are playing the game on its first weekend out.

Knowing whether or not the number of Japanese players was around 80k before the western release might help determine if Japan is being included. I don't know what the current numbers are in Europe, though, so I'm not sure if it has the same number listed as the NA servers.

ivysaur12

Banned
there's ingame stats for tyrant kills in the game. since that particular tyrant is story related, only 1 can be killed per save. using that no. can estimate the game sales. originally we thought the no. is unique per region but recent checks seems to show that NA & EU are sharing the no.

Ooooof.

Do we know if the number of Japanese players was at 80k or lower before the western launch?

Knowing whether or not the number of Japanese players was around 80k before the western release might help determine if Japan is being included. I don't know what the current numbers are in Europe, though, so I'm not sure if it has the same number listed as the NA servers.

The Japanese number is completely separate.

It's an underperformance because it looked like it had the potential to do more and it seems they definitely hoped it would. It doesn't mean it's a financial failure though.

If retailers order 950k copies and can't sell them all or at least not without slashing the price then it is the definition of underperforming.

Still high numbers but Monster Strike is a hugely popular game and P&D Z was more successful. We should expect more from an IP like this on a system like this, but yes, it is low-effort and that was a big mistake in my opinion. It could have been something bigger.

Indeed, expectations were through the roof in terms of shipment (i.e. retailers' expectations). Monster Strike is super-popular, but 750-800k is a huge number in nowadays market, especially for an unproven IP on a dedicated device. It will sell well in Week 52 and 53, but as Puzzle & Dragons, it will need legs to sell above 1m.

In a year where it will have to share the console JRPG spotlight with games like Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5? Whatever this game's opening sales turn out to be in Japan, there is no way that the Western market Wii U audience would somehow be more receptive to the kind of game #FE is.

I don't see a different market for this game than for Persona 5. They appeal to the same audience, problem being that Nintendo isn't able to translate the message out there. I can see #FE doing way better than in Japan with a proper, otaku campaign. ;)

And well, if XCX flops, it may send the message to Monolith to make things more like X1 with X3. But XCX underperforming may also retain Nintendo from investing more in the IP.

Sandfox

I don't see a different market for this game than for Persona 5. They appeal to the same audience, problem being that Nintendo isn't able to translate the message out there. I can see #FE doing way better than in Japan with a proper, otaku campaign. ;)

And well, if XCX flops, it may send the message to Monolith to make things more like X1 with X3. But XCX underperforming may also retain Nintendo from investing more in the IP.

IIRC they are already planning on doing that.

duckroll

IIRC they are already planning on doing that.

After what Takahashi said about XBX, I don't think anyone should believe anything they say until there's something that actually indicates they're not just trying to say what they think fans want to hear for now.

duckroll

What did he say?

IIRC, when they were still developing the game and promoting it in vague ways, Takahashi talked up how he felt that Xenoblade was light on story and world details, and he wanted to push that further with Xenoblade X with a richer world and deeper story. After the game came out and everyone said there was even less story and more MMO-ish content, he's apparently now saying that they spent too much time making an open world on new technology, but now that they have the tech down, they want to go back to making a more story-rich experience for the next title or whatever. Same old shit.

IIRC, when they were still developing the game and promoting it in vague ways, Takahashi talked up how he felt that Xenoblade was light on story and world details, and he wanted to push that further with Xenoblade X with a richer world and deeper story. After the game came out and everyone said there was even less story and more MMO-ish content, he's apparently now saying that they spent too much time making an open world on new technology, but now that they have the tech down, they want to go back to making a more story-rich experience for the next title or whatever. Same old shit.

In Iwata Asks Takahashi said the core story was smaller than Xenoblade's while the stories in the sidequests were fleshed out a bit. I want to say that he also mentioned the smaller story focus in a magazine interview early this year, but I can't remember the specifics offhand.

Kid Ying

Dont see why nintendo would port #fe to anything. I can see them porting Xeno x. The first game was ported, its from a cherished series by its fans and it even sold well for what it is. #fe never gathered interest from any audience, its reception was tepid at best and even launching on the biggest week of the year, no one cared. The only reason nintendo would even try to port the game would be if they think the wiiu was completely at fault for the reception of the game, which we already know its not entirely true.

They might do it, but i wouldn't hold my breath. There are games that i think they might port in the future, but #fe is not even close to them.

Atlus has an history of porting games in the MegaTen franchise onto new(er) systems - both Devil Survivor entries had 3DS enhanced portings; Persona 3 and 4 got ported to PSP and PSV respectively. It wouldn't be weird to see #FE being ported elsewhere, maybe on the next Nintendo platform.

HGH

Banned
Atlus has an history of porting games in the MegaTen franchise onto new(er) systems - both Devil Survivor entries had 3DS enhanced portings; Persona 3 and 4 got ported to PSP and PSV respectively. It wouldn't be weird to see #FE being ported elsewhere, maybe on the next Nintendo platform.

#FE for PS4 :)
Ok yeah I know the world would sooner end then that happening but man the mental image is too funny.

duckroll

I don't think it is very useful to apply business practices adopted by Atlus as a publisher to a game where Atlus is only the developer. Whether they put more work into porting it to other platforms in future will be determined by whether Nintendo wants to invest more into the title as the IP holder and publisher.

Indeed, expectations were through the roof in terms of shipment (i.e. retailers' expectations). Monster Strike is super-popular, but 750-800k is a huge number in nowadays market, especially for an unproven IP on a dedicated device. It will sell well in Week 52 and 53, but as Puzzle & Dragons, it will need legs to sell above 1m.

they just missed the target; P&D was targeted to the younger audience by adding rpg elements a-la Pokemon to the puzzle combat gameplay available on mobiles

Monster Strike is also an rpg but aimed to a more mature audience which is on other platforms, as STxFE flop clearly showed

test_account

XP-39C²
The first Puzzle & Dragons 3DS sold 1.3 million units in 7 weeks. I dont think a 1 million expectation for Monster Strike is really that crazy high.

Alrus

they just missed the target; P&D was targeted to the younger audience by adding rpg elements a-la Pokemon to the puzzle combat gameplay available on mobiles

Monster Strike is also an rpg but aimed to a more mature audience which is on other platforms, as STxFE flop clearly showed

Yeah a game flopping on Wii U clearly showed something about the 3DS audience...

3DS =/= Wii U.

Also, I don't think Monster Strike target audience is much, much older than, say, Pokémon. And 3DS is covered: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest are successful IPs targeted towards a more mature audience (e.g. young adults). Also, where else could have Mixi targeted a million units?

I don't think it is very useful to apply business practices adopted by Atlus as a publisher to a game where Atlus is only the developer. Whether they put more work into porting it to other platforms in future will be determined by whether Nintendo wants to invest more into the title as the IP holder and publisher.

Maybe. Atlus is only the developer, but perhaps has something to say in how to promote the game - and it's not Nintendo never ported games from one platform to the next one.

You really need to think this THROUGH.

Socordia

Banned
Yeah a game flopping on Wii U clearly showed something about the 3DS audience...

Also if they wanted to hit a million they should have put it on the platform with all the million selling mature titles.....

3DS =/= Wii U.

Also, I don't think Monster Strike target audience is much, much older than, say, Pokémon. And 3DS is covered: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest are successful IPs targeted towards a more mature audience (e.g. young adults). Also, where else could have Mixi targeted a million units?

You really need to think this THROUGH.

?????

We're not talking about Terra Battle or Granblue here. Monster Strike is absolutely for kids.

You people should remember that Moor-Angols IQ hits single digits when is about bashing Nintendo or anything nintendo related.

Vena

I think he was more looking at Minecrat that continues to rise in charts.

Ahh potentially. I saw Gundam at the top of the chart and I came to think that that was what he was referring to with his comment.

Well they definitely made a richer world than Xenoblade, and they definitely flushed out a lot of the side content to a much higher degree and quality. But the story is nonexistent and largely inconsequential.

Do you happen to have a reference on this one, not that I have any real reason to doubt you? I want to say I remember them talking about the content/side-content bulk and world rather than the story pre-release.

Xenoblade is Nintendo's core-jRPG franchise at this point. Its nothing grandiose like Final Fantasy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the series grows up (on a healthier platform) to Tales-level of successes at home eventually. The west may well drive Xenoblade past Tales even with this entry on a WW level comparison (given the later's weak performance outside of Japan). Its obviously not going to reach anything much more than that any time soon, or on the WiiU for that matter.

If they felt this entry didn't quite meet expectations or "needs another shot", they'll port it like they ported Xenoblade (or find ten different ways to sell it to you again). Its definitely a mark associated with Nintendo now, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The whole idea behind 3DS ports of these kinds of mobile games is to reach children who don't have a smartphone yet and use them to fuel toy and multimedia sales.

It doesn't really matter if there are lots of 20 or 40 year olds playing the main game, as that's what the phone game is for. The concept is they want more young people.

The whole idea behind 3DS ports of these kinds of mobile games is to reach children who don't have a smartphone yet and use them to fuel toy and multimedia sales.

It doesn't really matter if there are lots of 20 or 40 year olds playing the main game, as that's what the phone game is for. The concept is they want more young people.

They said they chose YouTube for the anime because it's a better way to reach teenagers than television, and it strongly advertises the 3DS game.

I don't doubt that they also wanted the younger users that the 3DS can bring, but I think they were overall targeting an older audience.

jariw

Ōkami;190591130 said:
By the looks of things Nintendo won't be releasing the Wii U version of the newest Mario & Sonic in Japan.

SEGA mentions it. The Wii U version syncs with the arcade version, while the 3DS version seems to be a more separate product.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They said they chose YouTube for the anime because it's a better way to reach teenagers than television, and it strongly advertises the 3DS game.

I don't doubt that they also wanted the younger users that the 3DS can bring, but I think they were overall targeting an older audience.
Maybe we just have a disagreement over what the term "more mature audience" means then.

Like 13-15 year olds are still conceptually kids to me and that phrase implies 18+ year old adults.

Now, 13 year olds aren't necessarily going to be buying toys, but things like shirts or backpacks are still good targets in that range.

Maybe we just have a disagreement over what the term "more mature audience" means then.

Like 13-15 year olds are still conceptually kids to me and that phrase implies 18+ year old adults.

Now, 13 year olds aren't necessarily going to be buying toys, but things like shirts or backpacks are still good targets in that range.

Yeah, I'm thinking of young teenagers, but it was more in reaction to the retailer blogs' observation that Monster Striker users were younger than P&D Z's. I think P&D Z was targeting younger kids than Monster Strike.

I'll sound like a broken record but I think, in their teens, gamers start paying more attention to production values and Monster Strike looks low-effort, which is one of the factors I think may be responsible for this.

ivysaur12

Banned

I really don't think Takahashi is really interested in making that kind of game anymore.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm at a loss as to where Nintendo can even stick it. Star Fox is their Spring release, Pokken is a lock for mid-late Summer, and Zelda is their big holiday tentpole. And there's a chance (improbable at this point) that Pikmin 4 hasn't been moved to the NX and might be released in there too.

Even if no NX form factor comes out next year, I just don't see a place where it won't be completely overshadowed.

Pokken is supposed to be Spring too actually. Maybe it will get the MK8/Splatoon end of May slot.

June, August, September, and maybe October could be wide open. It should actually be easier than usual to slot the game in next year with the derth of software.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yup, I remember that.

I dont wont to make shit up, but I also vaugely recall him saying that Xenoblade was a sort of disappointment in his eyes and his next game would realize his full potential.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I'm thinking of young teenagers, but it was more in reaction to the retailer blogs' observation that Monster Striker users were younger than P&D Z's. I think P&D Z was targeting younger kids than Monster Strike.

I'll sound like a broken record but I think, in their teens, gamers start paying more attention to production values and Monster Strike looks low-effort, which is one of the factors I think may be responsible for this.
Yeah, that's certainly possible.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Yet over 400,000 copies were sold in retail in its first week? I guess parents could have bought it unknowingly, but it still sold pretty well. But honestly, Monster Strike was marketed in the ads as something Santa would give to kids. Not sure how that is marketing towards teenagers to be completely honest.

You people should remember that Moor-Angols IQ hits single digits when is about bashing Nintendo or anything nintendo related.

what about your level of education ?

Did I insult someone as you did ? I can't believe people insult other people just for different opinion while talking about videogames

And this is not the first time, I think someone should take a fresh breath of air, this is NOT war, we are just talking about videogames, sorry if I had a different opinion from yours

duckroll

I don't feel that's entirely the reason. With full priced retail products, I feel they're also testing the value of their brand by seeing if there is a market for a more fleshed out and substantial version of a F2P title.

Where's Terra Battle?!

Vena

I don't feel that's entirely the reason. With full priced retail products, I feel they're also testing the value of their brand by seeing if there is a market for a more fleshed out and substantial version of a F2P title.

Where's Terra Battle?!

Have we actually heard anything of that "console version" or has that remained as permanent lipservice to the download goals?

Top Bottom