• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

I bought a limited edition (Hyrule Gold) N3DS XL, but I'm going to exchange it for a used Black N3DS XL. Why? Because the used system has an IPS screen display, and my LE system has TN.

I absolutely love the Gold Hyrule design, but I need to get a guaranteed good screen. I just don't want to play the lottery with a sealed unit.

Most people have no idea about the screen differences, and it seems some people who are aware aren't bothered that much. I've officially seen the IPS screen in action, and the difference is night and day.

Korezo

I bought a limited edition (Hyrule Gold) N3DS XL, but I'm going to exchange it for a used Black N3DS XL. Why? Because the used system has an IPS screen display, and my LE system has TN.

I absolutely love the Gold Hyrule design, but I need to get a guaranteed good screen. I just don't want to play the lottery with a sealed unit.

Most people have no idea about the screen differences, and it seems some people who are aware aren't bothered that much. I've officially seen the IPS screen in action, and the difference is night and day.

I bought myself the same thing for Christmas and It's already wrapped up and under the tree. I hope gamestop is open on Christmas because I'll be returning the 3ds. Can't deal with this loto bs anymore, went through the same thing with the damn vita. I rather have nothing than go through this bs.

Dranakin

Reading through all the pages, I can't tell which is the worst issue: scanlines (IPS) or viewing angles (TN)? I just bought one and it clearly has a TN display, but oddly what seems to be an IPS bottom screen (doesn't wash out at angles like the top display does). I really value the 3D feature, so I think I'm going to try to exchange and hope to get an IPS display. Do retailers even have IPS models in-stock anymore? I think the theory was that only the launch models had IPS displays.

i remember reading through this and checking all my n3dsxl majora's mask releases and got real lucky all 3x were IPS.

since the MM xl's were later debuts
i figured by then all later screens were IPS.

now i see that's not the case.

Tablo

Bought one for 175$ on Amazon, black.
TN top panel >_> goddammit, also an idiot I put on the screen protector I bought on first without checking.
The display looks okay, I don't know if it's worth playing lotter on this really.

I bought myself the same thing for Christmas and It's already wrapped up and under the tree. I hope gamestop is open on Christmas because I'll be returning the 3ds. Can't deal with this loto bs anymore, went through the same thing with the damn vita. I rather have nothing than go through this bs.

Yeah, TN display is garbage. I was able to get the used Black IPS exactly one week after my post. I am loving it.

I got $150 credit for the Zelda system, so I exchanged it right away.

Dranakin

Reading through all the pages, I can't tell which is the worst issue: scanlines (IPS) or viewing angles (TN)? I just bought one and it clearly has a TN display, but oddly what seems to be an IPS bottom screen (doesn't wash out at angles like the top display does). I really value the 3D feature, so I think I'm going to try to exchange and hope to get an IPS display. Do retailers even have IPS models in-stock anymore? I think the theory was that only the launch models had IPS displays.

Wow, amazingly, I successfully exchanged my TN display N3DSXL for an IPS model at a Best Buy in Manhattan. I told myself I was only going to try one exchange and if I got a second TN screen one, I should just live with it. The IPS display is significantly better and it works great for 3D.

Nerrel

Wow, amazingly, I successfully exchanged my TN display N3DSXL for an IPS model at a Best Buy in Manhattan. I told myself I was only going to try one exchange and if I got a second TN screen one, I should just live with it. The IPS display is significantly better and it works great for 3D.

I wish the regular N3DS model used IPS screens; I would have already traded my N3DSXL for one. As much as I'd like that smaller screen and better form factor, I can't give up those sweet, sweet IPS colors.

Docpan

Wanted to add my 2 cents.

I bought a n3DSxl, my first 3ds in years.

The unit was IPS, top screen. 3d effect, godly. The head tracking really works. Dark blacks and extremely nice viewing angles.

I was happy, or so I thought, until I had to return the unit 1 week later due to a bottom screen defect. I get a replacement, same color, red.

Open it up and the difference is immediately apparent. The new one is a TN top screen. Ok, so at first glance, it is noticably worse. Mainly, because viewing at any other angle than head on isn't going to work. The screen gets bright as shit. Also, I noticed there is a very, very subtle flicker effect when moving around the unit with 3d on. Yes, even with head still in view.

So first response was, yeah, I just fucked myself over and downgraded.

And THEN, I started playing. Like, real world playing, head actually facing the screen, not fucking around trying to screw with the 3d effect, etc, the whole 9.

Gameplay is brighter. Does that mean more "washed out." At first I would have said yes, but bear with me. Darker blacks may give the illusion of being more 'vibrant', but is that true to the source? After real world testing, I'm going to have to give a resounding NO.

I was playing Xenoblade on the defective unit for over 5 hours. One of the things I noticed was how fucking hard it was to see the little exclamation over the people's heads who have side quests. Partially due to the resolution no doubt. But on the New TN screen? I see it all. I see everything. The colors aren't more "washed out," in fact quite frankly they aren't being crushed by too dark blacks anymore.

Then I kept playing. I see more details in the environment and characters.

The illusion of vibrancy was just that on the IPS screen-- an illusion. The reality is both screens have shit tier resolution, and therefore the black levels are of the utmost importance in order to see any details in game that aren't directly in the light.

In the end? Neither is perfect. Take them both side by side and 9 times out of 10 I would say first responders would choose the IPS, especially if they move their heads around. But sit down and play, like you really truly would in any real scenario? Sorry, I have to say the TN displays much more details, ESPECIALLY in Xenoblade. So much moreso that I would call it a complete game changer, and Im considering starting all over again.

sirap

As someone who has both, I agree. Colors on the IPS panel are slightly better, but the resolution hampers the overall IQ anyway. Thankfully, the 3DS is small enough that you'll barely notice any color-shifting.

So, I was tempted to play the lottery on these and grabbed the overseas Metallic blue 3DS XL model since i thought it would be groovy to have a blue one.

I had no idea this screen issue was a thing, and my blue arrives and the difference was immediately apparent. The screen looks extremely washed out, colors duller, and less pop on the 3D effect as well. I'm pretty bummed. I dig the blue but can't put up with this screen.

Do I return it and hope for a better one? Or are all 3DS XLs now rocking the newer, shittier screens?

NeOak

So, I was tempted to play the lottery on these and grabbed the overseas Metallic blue 3DS XL model since i thought it would be groovy to have a blue one.

I had no idea this screen issue was a thing, and my blue arrives and the difference was immediately apparent. The screen looks extremely washed out, colors duller, and less pop on the 3D effect as well. I'm pretty bummed. I dig the blue but can't put up with this screen.

Do I return it and hope for a better one? Or are all 3DS XLs now rocking the newer, shittier screens?
All new ones so far have the TN screen.

If you see the recent testimonials, they speak of looking for old units that have the IPS screen.

Korezo

Opened my Christmas hyrule 3ds and its TN, thank you Nintendo....

All new ones aren't TN, people have gotten IPS Hyrule 3ds and my friends recently got a black one and it is IPS. Its still a lotto bs.

I got a mythical Hyrule edition Dual IPS new 3DSXL. Yep, you heard right, I couldn't believe it myself. The touchscreen IPS seems to be of a better quality which threw me off, but, the top is definitely IPS too.

Only thing i'm cheesed about is, I bought it on 12/15 for $199. Gamestop only has a 7 day price protection policy, and the price dropped to $175 after christmas. Can't be too mad though, if I waited someone might have bought my 3DS.

ohlawd

my MH 3DS has an IPS screen fuck yeah

two months ago the same 3DS overheated. sent it to Nintendo. they sent me a different MH system, and it was TN.

I used to have 3D on all the time, but now I don't because of the asstastic 3D. I guess I should count my stars they even sent me another LE of these babies.

people have every right to complain about these screens. If I come across some extra money and there's a sizable discount on an XL, I'll grab another one and fucking hope to God it's IPS so I can retire this shit. I'm used to the TN now but man it still sucks when I had a taste of the good stuff before

Is the 3D on the smaller TN or XL TN screens really that bad you are unable to use it?

Really makes me regret getting rid of my Red XL from a year ago. Really debating on what to do now if both are TN get the smaller one since the IQ will be better with the better size at least, any thoughts?

Wow, IPS bottom screen, that's a first. Could you post pics? Nintendo must have changed or added a new supplier for the bottom screen, as every system so far has used a TN panel.

---

As for the scanlines, that's not a specific problem -- all 3DS displays show them with the 3D set to off. It's just a way the parallax barrier works in 2D mode.

Is the 3D on the smaller TN or XL TN screens really that bad you are unable to use it?

Really makes me regret getting rid of my Red XL from a year ago. Really debating on what to do now if both are TN get the smaller one since the IQ will be better with the better size at least, any thoughts?

Yup. While I don't move my system much, on the times I did, the colours would shift. I was using the smaller New 3DS, which had a display with absolutely shocking viewing angles, the worst I've seen in a long time.

Though I don't think the TN screens on the XL would be anywhere near as bad as that, probably similar to the TN screens on the "old" 3DS XL, which were alright but you'll get some colour shift.

See

Even here, tilting the system a slight amount shows the colours beginning to wash out on the left hand side, it's more distracting IRL:

sGXuOUY.jpg

And this is how bad it gets once you tilt all the way:

1XqBg8I.jpg

(Sorry about double post, clicked quote instead of editing my last one)

I lucked out and got a dual IPS Hyrule edition new 3dsXL.

Pic with hyrule 3dsxl box

yGh9jPR.jpg

Bottom view

6A0zwqB.jpg

Side view

2NBEbnc.jpg

Oh wow. So that's technically three IPS panels sourced (two for the upper screen 3D, and one for the lower screen.

Would you mind checking if they calibrated the same way? One thing that is annoying, while a rare occurrence, is when you're viewing something that uses both screens and you can see the differences in colour due to the calibration being different.

I'm sure the NX handheld will only have a single display, not three, which should give Nintendo much more room to splash out on something cutting edge like the free-form display that will extend to the edges with cut-outs that'll surround the buttons.

I can't tell which one mine is but I suspect it's TN and I also think I'm very lucky in that I personally can't really notice it (thankfully!). Sucks for those who can tho :/

Bought a Black n3DS XL this week at Best Buy. Also has the dual IPS screens. Moved back from the smaller n3DS. IPS looks so much better.

Oh wow. So that's technically three IPS panels sourced (two for the upper screen 3D, and one for the lower screen.

Would you mind checking if they calibrated the same way? One thing that is annoying, while a rare occurrence, is when you're viewing something that uses both screens and you can see the differences in colour due to the calibration being different.

The top screen is overly saturated with crushed blacks, the bottom screen might have a slightly more accurate color calibration. I only have monster hunter 4u right now and the bottom screen usage is limited to map, items, etc... so I cant really test it for color accuracy.

Link83

I lucked out and got a dual IPS Hyrule edition new 3dsXL.
Any chance you could take some pictures of this dual IPS displaying the default 3DS system menu? In particular sideways shots of the lower screen would be great, as i'm curious to see how this new IPS bottom screen compares to the TN version.

Apparently, some do come like that now. But they are really recent batches.

I'm happy with my top IPS screen Majora's Mask NN3DS XL though.

New trend seems to be mostly TN actually,
but it looks like there might be some cases of the best possible scenario (both screens IPS) too now. I'm content with just my top screen being IPS though.

just wished they used one screen going forward on all models...

Dranakin

Wow, IPS bottom screen, that's a first. Could you post pics? Nintendo must have changed or added a new supplier for the bottom screen, as every system so far has used a TN panel.

Sorry, I should've taken pictures before I exchanged it, but I did see someone else post their top-bottom IPS model.

I wonder how having a bottom IPS screen impacts battery life (if at all).

Femto.

Apparently, some do come like that now. But they are really recent batches.

I'm happy with my top IPS screen Majora's Mask NN3DS XL though.

I also got a top IPS screen MM NN3DS XL too. Thank goodness.
Are there any out there that had both IPS screens?

Congrats Finnish, you lucky dog you.

So, from what I gathered from this thread is if I can view clarity of picture on the screen from an extreme angle then I have an IPS panel? If so, I have an IPS panel on both screens on the Hyrule New 3DS. I think.

2NBEbnc.jpg

I can now play like that thanks to IPS panels. Thanks Nintendo.

Haha. I'm sure you were just joking, but IPS really does have a place in handhelds.

There's a reason Nintendo explicitly went for dual IPS with the DSi XL, which was also the first handheld to have the dual stage hinge.

I remember the DSi XL being marketed as having wide-angle displays, and as a device that was great to share its screens with others. The first, laptop-like hinge position would be for using the device on a table, where either the player would be off-angle or one of the two screens would be.

Incidentally, Apple made a big deal about debuting the iPad with an IPS display, not just because a tablet isn't used head-on all the time, but a device with a big screen is made to share content with others -- you can't hold up an iPad to a friend, show them a photo, and expect them to move their head in line with the perfect viewing angle. It should just work, and the screen itself should appear as a constant.

That usage model isn't as prevalent nowadays, given the dearth of touch-first or stylus-driven 3DS games, but there are still times where I don't use my N3DS XL off angle, mainly when travelling and the screen is moving, or if I'm trying to filter my streetpasses one handed on the go.

On a related note, I used my DSi XL for the first time in a while, and was surprised at how well the screens have aged. I do miss the anti-reflective coating that's on the top screen of the New 3DS, but the contrast ratio seems good, perhaps even higher than all 3DS models (DS games look oddly washed out on 3DS).

So is it a safer bet for the normal black XL, or the hyrule gold edition? Or does it even matter, buying from gamestop, they are 174.99$ right now in US.

GenG3000

I bought a black n3DS XL and it got an upper IPS screen. I first got one it didn't have it and I returned it.

The package was different for the IPS console, and it also had the higher ID in the box of all of the available New 3DS XL in the store.

I bought a black n3DS XL and it got an upper IPS screen. I first got one it didn't have it and I returned it.

The package was different for the IPS console, and it also had the higher ID in the box of all of the available New 3DS XL in the store.

When did you purchase and any idea of the id#?

GenG3000

When did you purchase and any idea of the id#?

I bought the 9th of January from one of the most popular retail chains in Spain, MediaMarkt.

The ID of the package I got is QEH10735662 8, and the first one I picked (and most of the shop units) started like QEH104. I took a gamble and I took the highest one. It definitely has to do something with the order of manufacturing. As I said before, the packaging was also different, the one I got has to be taken out of the cardboard interior piece from one side, while in the first one the console was under the booklets and taken out from the top of the cardboard piece. Somebody put photos of different packages some pages ago but in my case the top to down packaging was for the TN unit and the one with a side opening for the IPS unit.

I hope this is useful to you. If I had the chance I would test if there is a pattern to the numbers or if a definite range of numbers are more likely to contain an IPS screen.

HotHamBoy

I have a regular XL, considering replacing with standard New 3DS. I really dislike the blown-out resolution, weight/balance and size of the XL and think the New 3DS has the improvements I'm looking for. But I also really like 3D. So is the New 3DS 3D a marked improvement over the OG XL or is New 3DS XL w/ IPS the only worthwhile upgrade?

Narroo

Now, let's see what happens with the upcoming Pokemon New 3DS for America!

(Anyone how the animal crossing ones were?)

Top Bottom