• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, I wonder how The Witcher 3 compares to Dragon Age Inquisition's LTD. It was 890K as of last December, but it's been a long time. The Witcher 3 being higher seems likely, but maybe not so distant.

Not a huge fan of the latest iterations, but if FIFA's sales are indicators about the sport's health in the USA, I'm happy.

Rather directly so:

Moore, who says "FIFA" is probably more associated with the video game than the world soccer organization, revealed some other notable statistics on FIFA. He claims "50 percent of [U.S.] players now consider [soccer] a favorite sport" and "34 percent of U.S. players become pro [soccer] fans after playing the video game (meaning they go to an MLS game, buy merchandise or even travel to Europe for a game)."

Moore also explained that due to population, "More people in the U.S. play Real Madrid-Barcelona in FIFA 16 than they do in Spain."

According to Moore, the FIFA series doubled its "population" from 2013 to 2015. The U.S.'s craze for sports and video games makes it a juicy target for FIFA. A video game driving a sport's foothold in a nation may have been a ludicrous idea a decade ago, but in 2015, U.S. Soccer can only buy into it.
Source: http://www.thepostgame.com/futuresp...oreilly-becky-sauerbrunn?__d93900d5=_d93900d5

Halo 4 MP and Halo MCC matchmaking issues really hurt the brand. Halo 5 is a return to form, IMO, but it'll take continued support and a more satisfying story in Halo 6 to win back some fans who left the franchise.
Halo 5 still isn't good. It may play decent but still has a ton of issues that the old fans can't enjoy. Of course if you are enjoying something it's good to you but that's just how it goes. Halo 4 mcc hurt halo. But halo 5 hurts halo too. Maps are bad, people just don't want to play it.

Fans just don't believe in 343 and with their maps, lack of playlists. Failures such as warzone, breakout and btb. Not sure why we expect the game to have legs.

There new free maps have just been as bad or worse either. I wonder if they will make some good maps eventually but it's too late anyways

I can't imagine what they did for three years for halo mp to be what it is

Look at content and maps of halo 3. As well as playlists and it is just more appealing for many halo fans imo

jjonez18

According to the top 10 for the year FIFA sold more than Mortal Kombat X, so maybe you forgot some SKU for FIFA...

08.FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
09.Mortal Kombat X (Warner Bros | PS4, Xbox One)

FIFA had an Xbox One bundle that released alongside the game. 1TB, 12 months of EA Access at 399$ pre-50$ promotion. Not to hard to believe it was a decent mover from Sept-Dec.

Edit:
The bundle isn't included in that list either
Well I guess there is some splainin' to do. I've got nothing.

HOLY FUCK AT Black Ops 3

Also over 2 million for MKX is impressive. Also FO4 and Battlefront are huuuge.

Man a lot of that software is pretty nice

Javin98

Banned
2015 3rd party, with special editions and without bundles.

COD ~ 7750
1 ~ 40.59%
4 ~ 39.80%
360 ~ 12.03%

FO4 ~ 3666
4 ~ 52.1%

NFL ~ 4337
4 ~ 38.52%
1 ~ 32.94%
360 ~ 18.60%

SW:B ~ 3568
1 ~ 52.82

NBA ~ 3304
4 ~ 44.55%
1 ~ 34.82%
360 ~ 13.16%

B:AK ~ 1872
4 ~ 60.08%

MKX ~ 2364
4 ~ 57.90%

TW3 ~ 1351
4 ~ 59.81%

DL ~ 1333
4 ~ 54.41%

FIFA ~ 2028
4 ~ 40.84%
1 ~ 31.49%
360 ~ 17.26

MGS ~ 1122
4 ~ 65.80%
1 ~ 23.23%
3 ~ 6.88%
Looks like Call Of Duty is still a beast. Pretty damn impressive numbers. Battlefront also did really well, wonder if it's above Fallout 4 with bundles included on both. MGSV performed decently in the US, I think. From the percentages above, the PS4 version alone sold north of 735K. I'm actually impressed Bloodborne is so close to this, considering how most people thought it was "niche". Why Kojima Productions didn't drop last gen support is beyond me. Also, how did MGS4 perform within the same time frame? Does anyone have the numbers?

P.S. Thanks a lot, cream!

RexNovis

Banned
Provided I counted correctly here is what I came up with for # of 2015 third party game releases per platform

PS4: 108
XB1: 90
WiiU: 14

So WiiU only had 14 third party games released the entire year and PS4 actually had 18 more games than XB1. Frankly I'm surprised there were that many PS4 console exclusive third party games.

Javin98

Banned
Provided I counted correctly here is what I came up with for # of 2015 third party game releases per platform

So WiiU only had 14 third party games released the entire year and PS4 actually had 18 more games than XB1. Frankly I'm surprised there were that many PS4 console exclusive third party games.
But those 18 games are indies or JRPG's, so they don't count. PS4 has also been lacking any decent exclusives since launch, unlike the XB1 with its vastly superior catalogue of dudebro games like Halo 5 and Titanfall. I feel like I wasted my money on my PS4, it has no games! PSN is also down everyday and Sony won't do jackshit about it. I don't know why the PS4 is selling so well and that's a bad thing. Without competition, which is good for the industry, Sony will soon become arrogant and complacent again and in the end, we all loose.

Bingo!!

joecanada

But those 18 games are indies or JRPG's, so they don't count. PS4 has also been lacking any decent exclusives since launch, unlike the XB1 with its vastly superior catalogue of dudebro games like Halo 5 and Titanfall. I feel like I wasted my money on my PS4, it has no games! PSN is also down everyday and Sony won't do jackshit about it. I don't know why the PS4 is selling so well and that's a bad thing. Without competition, which is good for the industry, Sony will soon become arrogant and complacent again and in the end, we all loose.

Bingo!!

You only need one line for bingo not fill the whole Damn card!

So here an updated LTD software sell through for Black Ops 3 for those interested. Not the full picture but a closer indication of what global is looking like.

Black Ops 3
NPD+UK+Steam+Japan+Germany

~11.4 million

No console digital or hardware bundles included

COD ~ 7750
1 ~ 40.59%
4 ~ 39.80%
360 ~ 12.03%

Already mentioned, but that's definitly the highlight to me. Though before betting on a PS4 lead with Call of Duty 2016, I guess we will have to see where those 12% of Xbox 360 gamers will be heading for the most part !

Bingo!!

You forgot to begin it by saying, "I own all three consoles but...". Bingo though for sure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Toukiden for example wasn't even counted. Shame.

kyser73

Bingo!!

But is your PS4 gathering dust?

RexNovis

Banned
I ask again do we have any figures for AC Syndicate that would let us do a comparison with AC Unity? I'm curious how much positive WoM might have turned things around for Syndicate.

But wasn't there only a bundle on ps4? Which means they aren't even close? Can't remember

Yes without the bundle the difference is less than 1%. Next even without the inevitable bundle CoD should sell better on PS4. That's what is meant by "the end is nigh"

Ryng_tolu

Banned
COD beasting.
Follaut amazing.
NFL very strong.
Star Wars too.
NBA good but i expected more.
Batman not bad.
Mortal Kombat impressive.
The Witcher 3 great.
Diyng Light ok.
Metal Gear not good.

So here an updated LTD software sell through for Black Ops 3 for those interested. Not the full picture but a closer indication of what global is looking like.

Black Ops 3
NPD+UK+Steam+Japan+Germany

~11.4 million

No console digital or hardware bundles included

UK and Germany sales include bundle.

Btw, it sold 400,000 first week in France. ( no bundle )

nib95

Banned

COD ~ 7750
1 ~ 40.59%
4 ~ 39.80%
360 ~ 12.03%

FO4 ~ 3666
4 ~ 52.1%

NFL ~ 4337
4 ~ 38.52%
1 ~ 32.94%
360 ~ 18.60%

1 ~ 52.82

NBA ~ 3304
4 ~ 44.55%
1 ~ 34.82%
360 ~ 13.16%

B:AK ~ 1872
4 ~ 60.08%

MKX ~ 2364
4 ~ 57.90%

TW3 ~ 1351
4 ~ 59.81%

DL ~ 1333
4 ~ 54.41%

FIFA ~ 2028
4 ~ 40.84%
1 ~ 31.49%
360 ~ 17.26

MGS ~ 1122
4 ~ 65.80%
1 ~ 23.23%
3 ~ 6.88%

COD still beasting. Fifa picking up steam in the states, and MGS not doing as well as I'd have expected. Unless I'm mistaken, it also looks like the PS4 is selling more software than the XO, even accounting for user base differences, since some of these split differences are larger in the PS4's favour than the actual console ltd sales split. Really interested to see the same breakdown including bundles.

Welfare

COD still beasting. Unless I'm mistaken, it also looks like PS4 is selling more than the XO software wise. Some of these split differences are larger in the PS4's favour than the actual console ltd sales split

Out of those games.

PS4: ~15414K

XB1: ~13158K

PS4:XB1 ratio is 54:46

Hardware ratio is 53:47

I know its not the conversation, but I think Santa Monica should have given the GoW franchise to RAD care for their first game home console game. Its the franchise they worked so well on PSP. SSM should make The Order 1887 and give them the development of the next God Of War

SSM should not touch The Order but focus on making a new GoW and a new IP for later.
Like Guerilla, I want them to branch out after giving me my fill of franchises I love in the Killzone's and GoW's.

The guys at SSM are super creative and after GoW, I'd love to see their creative talents stretched out.

COD ~ 7750
1 ~ 40.59%
4 ~ 39.80%
360 ~ 12.03%

1 ~ 52.82

TW3 ~ 1351
4 ~ 59.81%

MGS ~ 1122
4 ~ 65.80%
1 ~ 23.23%
3 ~ 6.88%

PS4 will be the new home of CoD in USA. What a brilliant long term move by Sony.
How anyone though SW:BF would be a bomba is hilarious
TW3 sales are amazing for a "new" mainstream IP, PS4 share is surprising.

MGS V split is expected but those sales are a bit low.
I'm glad though seeing as Konami have actively butchered the game since launch.

Thanks for the numbers Cream!

SW BF really shows how much bundles missing can effect sales sometimes.
Taking into account Nov and Dec there almost 1 million sales missing without the bundles.

Saty

Dying Light higher than MGS5 and in touching distance with GOTY Witcher 3? I know DL had pretty much a full year but i don't know if to look at these numbers positively for DL or negatively\disappointingly for MGS and Witcher.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Dying Light higher than MGS5 and in touching distance with GOTY Witcher 3? I know DL had pretty much a full year but i don't know if to look at these numbers positively for DL or negativelydisappointingly for MGS and Witcher.

The Witcher did great in my opinion.

MGS is very disappoint. The worst Metal Gear game in term of sales ( iric, my favourite for quality ) is Snake Eater which sold almost 1.5 million LT in USA.
So far Phantom Pain is just over 1.1 million, but it's legs are bad. Was already almost 800,000 in September.

With digital sales it should easy surpass Snake Eater, but it won't close to the others Metal Gear which sold always over 2 million.

demigod

Oh wow, so counting bundles CoD on PS4 beat XBone? Didn't think Madden on PS4 would do better either. So only software XBone won was Fallout?

Dying Light higher than MGS5 and in touching distance with GOTY Witcher 3? I know DL had pretty much a full year but i don't know if to look at these numbers positively for DL or negatively\disappointingly for MGS and Witcher.

Dying Light and Witcher3 can be happy with their results.
Both should be very successful in Europe and heavy on PC, too, so it should pile up for nice numbers.
Steamspy is showing about 1.3 mio keys sold for each of those games (and only half of that for MGS5).
Plus, Witcher3 should work very well on GOG, as CDP and GOG are one thing. They were very aggressively pushing the release. And they keep the full share here. Cool situation.

MGS5 is really disappointing. I guess it's the most expensive game of these three by far. If I was Konami, I would think about consequences.

MGS is very disappoint. The worst Metal Gear game in term of sales ( iric, my favourite for quality ) is Snake Eater which sold almost 1.5 million LT in USA.
So far Phantom Pain is just over 1.1 million, but it's legs are bad. Was already almost 800,000 in September.

With digital sales it should easy surpass Snake Eater, but it won't close to the others Metal Gear which sold always over 2 million.

On PC MGSV sold about 275k in the US. It should be easily over MGS3 but yeah 2m is highly unlikely.

Javin98

Banned

Any idea about how MGSV did worldwide? I remember the early reports that it shipped 5 million copies, but we all know that shipments aren't the measurement of success. Also, I asked earlier, but no one answered, but how did MGS4 do within the same time frame?

Phenomenal CoD numbers for a series once believed to be in "decline."

MGSV numbers are disappointing but understandable given how disappointing MGSV was as a whole. Konami has done an excellent job screwing up a formerly hugely successful IP.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Any idea about how MGSV did worldwide? I remember the early reports that it shipped 5 million copies, but we all know that shipments aren't the measurement of success. Also, I asked earlier, but no one answered, but how did MGS4 do within the same time frame?

No idea.
MGS4 sold 995,000 first month and >2 million LT in USA, while worldwide sold over 3 million first month and over 6 million LT, that's all i know.

And yeah, i believe that the last official numbers for Phantom Pain are 5 million shipped by end of September.

Javin98

Banned
No idea.
MGS4 sold 995,000 first month and >2 million LT in USA, while worldwide sold over 3 million first month and over 6 million LT, that's all i know.

And yeah, i believe that the last official numbers for Phantom Pain are 5 million shipped by end of September.
Wow, MGS4 did great, then. Its debut month sales are already higher than the three month sales of the PS4 version of MGSV. Also, wasn't there something along the lines of the mainstream gamers prefer Solid Snake's story and that's the reason MGS3 sold less? I'm not sure if there's any truth in that, though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Crazy to see the share that the 360 is still generating, c-r-a-z-y!

I still play with my 360 as well.

A lot of old online games like MW2, or BF4, or even some recent released which i don't bought on PS4.

The 360 is withouth doubt one of my favourite console.

Wow, MGS4 did great, then. Its debut month sales are already higher than the three month sales of the PS4 version of MGSV. Also, wasn't there something along the lines of the mainstream gamers prefer Solid Snake's story and that's the reason MGS3 sold less? I'm not sure if there's any truth in that, though.

Really no idea why MGS3 sold so "low" ( for a Metal Gear game ).
I guess the main reason is because many guys did not liked MGS2...

Btw it sold over 4 million WW, which is still great.

Top Bottom