• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

dr_rus

so gamegpu.ru, pcgameshardweare.de and techpowerup benchmarks are me using benchmarks selectively?

GameGPU has a fair share of benchmarks which you neglect with laughable arguments because they don't support your "trend" theory.

As for the average relative performance graphs - yes, they are using benchmarks selectively as any sane person would understand simply from looking at how these results are gained. Their benchmarking suits are not stable in time and change between 2013 and 2014 and 2015 quite extensively making such comparisons dubious at best. What's even more important - they are limited by what titles are used in each test they perform and these sets are quite often rather strange because they tend to be based not on what games are the latest ones but on what games have benchmarks built into them.

And just to illustrate your selective benchmarks approach again I'd like to notice that you've omitted computerbase.de average results which - again - don't prove that "trend" theory of yours:

2013 (290X launch review):
UkGb.png

780+7%=290X

2014 (GM204 launch review):
VkGb.png

780+6%=290X

2015 (Nano launch review)
WkGb.png

780+5%=290X

Averages are completely dependent on what games are used in a benchmarking suit and are not indicative of any "trend".

sniffy

Neo Member
So did some testing now that 1.3 has dropped for everyone. I have a 3GB 970M and run at 1080p with God Rays on low and Shadow Detail and Distance on medium.

Outdoors (not in city)
SSAO: 55-60fps
HBAO: 45-58fps
HBAO+high debris (with particles on floor): 41-49fps

I am probably going to stick with SSAO and no debris just for smoothness sake. HBAO is a much more impressive effect than debris though. It's definitely not as cool as the PhysX in Borderlands 2 was.

edit: Interestingly, as soon as 1 particle is formed, fps drops. However after shooting the ground more and producing more debris, no further fps is lost. I found that kind of odd.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Even with a i7 6900K and 980 TI, I am seeing low 40's in some areas. What the hell Bethesda?

It's using an engine designed for the XBox 360, and they are trying to throw in effects on top of the broken mess it already was.

My game performance has improved quite a bit with the 1.3 patch, but the game is still jittery with terrible framepacing. I used to drop the to 40's constantly in the large open city areas when setting shadow distance to above the PS4 version, now it only drops to the mid-50's. GPU utilization still suffers here, so there are still major problems in the underlying code.

Overall, too little too late. Already finished with the game and still assert that Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for releasing the game in its original state

Zexen

Hmm, can't get the PhysX effects to work.

Anyone having any issues?
Same for me, I put it on ultra, launched the game and started shooting here and there and no debris showed up.

This said, I don't think this is PhysX's work, as my dedicated PhysX card is not showing any usage with this effect toggled. Or the setting is broken on my end.

GameGPU has a fair share of benchmarks which you neglect with laughable arguments because they don't support your "trend" theory.

As for the average relative performance graphs - yes, they are using benchmarks selectively as any sane person would understand simply from looking at how these results are gained. Their benchmarking suits are not stable in time and change between 2013 and 2014 and 2015 quite extensively making such comparisons dubious at best. What's even more important - they are limited by what titles are used in each test they perform and these sets are quite often rather strange because they tend to be based not on what games are the latest ones but on what games have benchmarks built into them.

And just to illustrate your selective benchmarks approach again I'd like to notice that you've omitted computerbase.de average results which - again - don't prove that "trend" theory of yours:

2013 (290X launch review):
UkGb.png

780+7%=290X

2014 (GM204 launch review):
VkGb.png

780+6%=290X

2015 (Nano launch review)
WkGb.png

780+5%=290X

Averages are completely dependent on what games are used in a benchmarking suit and are not indicative of any "trend".

ok, just realized why computerbase.de results were so off. they test the 290 cards in quiet mode. pretty much makes the benchmarks useless IMO

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/grafikkarten-testverfahren-testsystem/2/

you need to be using the cards labeled uber. the card labeled oc is 1030 mhz which is closer to accurate than the quiet mode version.

leng jai

Well I take back what I said, the game still runs like garbage on my 970. Load times are absurd as well, even when simply exiting buildings.

dh4niel

Well I take back what I said, the game still runs like garbage on my 970. Load times are absurd as well, even when simply exiting buildings.

Really? I get substantial drops when new areas are being streamed in but only mini drops during regular gameplay. Load times are a mixed bag for me. Some are borderline acceptable other are so long I think the game crashed.

dr_rus

ok, just realized why computerbase.de results were so off. they test the 290 cards in quiet mode. pretty much makes the benchmarks useless IMO

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/grafikkarten-testverfahren-testsystem/2/

you need to be using the cards labeled uber. the card labeled oc is 1030 mhz which is closer to accurate than the quiet mode version.

Uber is an overclock mode. If you want to compare GF to Uber mode of 290 then you'll have to compare to factory OC GFs.

dr_rus

no, uber is the 290x running at its intended 1 ghz speed. its not oced at all.

AMD has given you a choice, do you want "Quiet" or do you want "Performance." AMD is utilizing the BIOS switch atop the video card. With a flick of the switch and a reboot, you activate the "Uber Mode" BIOS. All retail cards will ship in the "Quiet Mode" position. In this Uber Mode the fan is set to run up to a cap of 55% now instead of 40%.
Uber is an official factory OC mode of 290X. Quite mode is the normal mode of operation. If you want to compare 290X in Uber mode then you have to use factory OC GeForces for this comparison.

It is also hardly a big difference when it comes to performance:

index.php

seph1roth

After the official realease of the 1.3 patch, is still a thing that Nvidia cards runs this game like shit? even with his "gameworks" features like HBAO+ compared to AMD?

Game runs like shit with Nvidia cards using 1.3 beta patch...

What the fu** Nvidia...

Where are those mid drivers that increased the performance of the games by 10-20% like 2 years ago? Now after every patch or update the games are going to run worse and worse?

Again, what the fu** Nvidia...

AMD with every update runs better and better, what the hell are they doing?

Uber is an official factory OC mode of 290X. Quite mode is the normal mode of operation. If you want to compare 290X in Uber mode then you have to use factory OC GeForces for this comparison.

It is also hardly a big difference when it comes to performance:

index.php

its not the same as a factory OC model at all. its simply a higher fan speed. computerbase.de sample has a big difference. their sample runs between 820 and 870 mhz in quiet mode. thats 15%~ diff in clockspeed.

The Argus

I was having some major drops with my 3770K and 290x rig back in December. Started playing again this weekend and I'm happy to see it running at a locked 60FPS all settings (sans godrays) maxed even in the heavily populated urban areas. Weirder to see my Nvidia brethrens somehow getting worse performance.

daninthemix

I'n glad to see I'm getting a locked 60 still, even with HBAO+ on (and tested up and down Trinity Tower, which I heard was a problem area).

However, turning on weapon debris did produce the odd stutter, and since I couldn't really discern the effect (I only use single shot pistols) decided to disable it.

Well. So can't start the game on my 5 day old laptop. Crashes straight away. My laptop is easily up to the job. The auto-detect set me at Ultra high. But pointless as it doesn't start. Chances of getting a fix are nigh on impossible. At least it isn't a new game as I have it on my desktop. Still, fuck knows why it's borked on my laptop with virtually nothing on it.

This game is on sale for $40 on Steam right now.

What kind of settings would I have to use to get a solid 60fps in most areas with a GTX 970 and an i5 4460?

This game is on sale for $40 on Steam right now.

What kind of settings would I have to use to get a solid 60fps in most areas with a GTX 970 and an i5 4460?

Set shadow distance to medium if you want a solid framerate in Diamond City, which is one of the most intensive areas of the game.

madmook

Godrays on low is the first tweak I'd make. There's little to no difference for medium and high (except for dragging framerate down), and ultra has a very high performance cost.

Shadow quality followed by shadow distance are the next most useful tweaks.

HBAO does impact performance but it's worth it.

I have a GTX 960, and I get around 40ish fps most of the time with just godrays on low, shadow quality on medium and everything else maxed at 1080p (yes even shadow distance on ultra). Before the latest patch introduced HBAO fps was mostly about 50ish. Some problem areas will drop me down to 35fps, like standing atop Corvega Plant and looking down at certain areas. I imagine a GTX 970 would be able to stick to 60fps much better.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well. So can't start the game on my 5 day old laptop. Crashes straight away. My laptop is easily up to the job. The auto-detect set me at Ultra high. But pointless as it doesn't start. Chances of getting a fix are nigh on impossible. At least it isn't a new game as I have it on my desktop. Still, fuck knows why it's borked on my laptop with virtually nothing on it.

Specs? Drivers?

Specs? Drivers?
Sorry, I wasn't expecting a reply! Well, latest drivers and spec - i5 6600k@3.5ghz, 16GBDDR4 RAM@2133mhz, 970m, 120GBSSD and 500GBHD plus a 330w PSU.
Like I said it gives me Ultra High as the default then promptly crashes. Doesn't even get to the loading screen. Personally I don't see how it's fixable. I mean, it could be anything.
I can play Xcom 2 well and others so I have no idea.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sorry, I wasn't expecting a reply! Well, latest drivers and spec - i5 6600k@3.5ghz, 16GBDDR4 RAM@2133mhz, 970m, 120GBSSD and 500GBHD plus a 330w PSU.
Like I said it gives me Ultra High as the default then promptly crashes. Doesn't even get to the loading screen. Personally I don't see how it's fixable. I mean, it could be anything.
I can play Xcom 2 well and others so I have no idea.

Try what this guy did.+

Yeah, tried that. No luck. I'll see if Bethesda support can help but I very much doubt it.
Ha! Just looked and tried the Bordeless Windowed fix. It worked. Only I can't choose 1080. Why is this a problem? They're obviously aware it's a problem. Why no fix?

Edit: Well, just thought I'd try 1080p fullscreen and....it works. Seriously no idea why but it does. Truly, PC gaming can be a right bitch.

Paganmoon

New PC Beta update (1.4.124)

Seems modding-tools are in?

Edit: they could mean DLC with that line though after thinking about it.

New Features
Support for add-ons
Additional art customization added to Workshop:
Super Mutant clutter including meat totems, meat bags and meat cart
Raider clutter including raider poles, cages and tents
Abstract and portrait paintings
Variety of new signs
More metal and wood doors variants
Fixes
General stability and performance improvements
During "Getting a Clue" quest, Kellogg's desk will remain a working container
During "Rocket's Red Glare", resolved issue where companions could not be dismissed after completing the quest
Fixed an issue with "Kremvh's Tooth" quest item not spawning properly
Settlements under attack will now display an updated message with the results of the attack if player does not respond
Fixed an issue with screen effects not clearing away properly after using a scope
Fixed an issue with trying to sprint while in third person with a minigun equipped
Rank 4 of Demolition Expert perk now properly increases the area effect of explosives
The Scrounger perk now includes additional common ammo types
Fixed an issue where Calvin Whitaker would disappear in Vault 81
Fixed an issue where Ninja and Sandman perks combined would apply the incorrect damage bonus
Fixed an issue where Rank 3 of Grim Reaper's Sprint did not fill critical meter properly
Fixed an issue with key cards not spawning correctly in Vault 75
Fixed an issue where enemies would stop spawning during "Airship Down"
Being in first person while wearing power armor and quickly switching weapons will no longer cause the Pip-Boy to be stuck
Fixed an issue with the autosave counter getting incorrectly reset
Fixed issue that would cause the Pip-Boy menu to turn invisible while swimming
Fixed an issue where scrapping larger quantities of a single item would inadvertently scrap a legendary item
Fixed issue where exiting workbenches would cause third person to stop working properly
The Scribe can now be assigned consecutive settlements properly
Fixed issue with duplicating scraps shipments
Fixed issue with vendors not properly exchanging caps after several consecutive transactions in a row
Fixed issue with the quicksave and autosave message persisting through loading screens
Fixed an issue where updating to the latest patch would cause Options settings to reset back to default (Xbox One)
Fixed an issue with loading save with a placed object in water, not properly floating

seph1roth

Beta Patch 1.4 is out on PC.

I have been playing the game this morning with the patch, seems like the game runs much better on Nvidia cards, after the horrible patch 1.3 with HBAO+, which destroyed the performance of the game on Nvidia cards compared to AMD.

At least that's what i think after trying it...any opinions out there Gaf?

Neo_Geo

Banned
Same here. Ultra PhysX in BL2 and BL Pre-Sequel tank my FPS in certain scenario.

It only happens in these games, I personally think it's a bug with that engine or games.

It's a little of both, engine deficiency and developer incompetence. The engine itself can't handle the amount of objects and draw calls the developers are throwing at it in certain scenarios. Causes the framerate to absolutely tank sometimes. I called out the Dungeon Defenders devs on this, they had no idea what I was trying to explain to them and said if I wanted it fixed I should put in an application. Lazy devs are all too common these days.

dr_rus

Beta Patch 1.4 is out on PC.

I have been playing the game this morning with the patch, seems like the game runs much better on Nvidia cards, after the horrible patch 1.3 with HBAO+, which destroyed the performance of the game on Nvidia cards compared to AMD.

At least that's what i think after trying it...any opinions out there Gaf?

The game's performance on NV after patch 1.3 is fine, nothing was "destroyed":

JKIb.png

Some AMD cards did get a boost.

seph1roth

The game's performance on NV after patch 1.3 is fine, nothing was "destroyed":

JKIb.png

Some AMD cards did get a boost.

Sorry about that "awkward" word, but according to Gamegpu, after patch 1.3 the performance differences in Nvidia and AMD gpus are much bigger.

The HBAO+ pic is very funny, because this is a feature powered by Nvidia, and performs much better in AMD gpus in Fallout 4.

Here are the benchs, comparing 1.0 vs 1.3.

http--www.gamegpu.com-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Fallout_4-test-new-f4_1920.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.com-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Fallout_4_Beta_Patch_1.3-test-fall4_1920_s.jpg

1.3 HBAO+
http--www.gamegpu.com-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Fallout_4_Beta_Patch_1.3-test-fall4_1920_h.jpg

That 780Ti (600$) performing worse than R9 280x (250$) LOL Kepler...

dr_rus

Sorry about that "awkward" word, but according to Gamegpu, after patch 1.3 the performance differences in Nvidia and AMD gpus are much bigger.

Gamegpu tested the beta version while Computerbase has benchmarked the release one.

Never trust any benchmarks of alpha / beta versions of games.

leng jai

I wonder if Fallout 4 will eventually have good performance after numerous patches like Skyrim did? I remember Whiterun had terrible dips but after a few months of patching it was 60fps on my PC like every other area.

This game has such weird problems on my laptop. Tried DSR and playing at 1440p (monitor is 1080p). And what I get is a 1080p pic with a border around it. Other games work fine. But Fallout 4 is just continuously problematic.

julrik

Sorry for bumping, but I think I need some help.

Wanted to play FO4 just now, after taking a break for a while, but something is wrong. The loading screen and menu is just blinking? Figured ReShade might've fucked something up, so deleted the game and re-installed. Same thing. I have a 980M, but the game wants me to play on Low settings? Does FO4 not detect my 980M or something? Steam version BTW.

Pretty new to PC gaming, so help would be appreciated.

Arkanius

Sorry for bumping, but I think I need some help.

Wanted to play FO4 just now, after taking a break for a while, but something is wrong. The loading screen and menu is just blinking? Figured ReShade might've fucked something up, so deleted the game and re-installed. Same thing. I have a 980M, but the game wants me to play on Low settings? Does FO4 not detect my 980M or something? Steam version BTW.

Pretty new to PC gaming, so help would be appreciated.

I might suggest reinstalling your drivers. Is it just happening with that game?

dr_rus

Yeah, it's just that game.

What's the easiest way to re-install the driver? I just update the drivers via GeForce Experience.

It it's just that game try resetting / deleting the game's setting first. There's probably some issue between what is cached on your PC from older game versions and the newer game version you are running.

julrik

It it's just that game try resetting / deleting the game's setting first. There's probably some issue between what is cached on your PC from older game versions and the newer game version you are running.
Not sure what you mean here. I deleted the whole game, re-downloaded it, and it still doesn't work. It's really weird. Never had a problem with any games before this one.

curlycare

Not sure what you mean here. I deleted the whole game, re-downloaded it, and it still doesn't work. It's really weird. Never had a problem with any games before this one.

Did you delete the fallout4prefs and fallout4 ini files in C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\my games\Fallout4?

dr_rus

Sorry, meant to say "If it's just..."

Chances are that your old game settings are conflicting with the newer game version. Deleting those and forcing the game to reset afresh may help.

Redownloading the game won't help as the settings are saved separately - either in "My Games" folder or in Steam's Cloud.

julrik

Did you delete the fallout4prefs and fallout4 ini files in C:UsersYourUsernameDocumentsmy gamesFallout4?

Sorry, meant to say "If it's just..."

Chances are that your old game settings are conflicting with the newer game version. Deleting those and forcing the game to reset afresh may help.

Redownloading the game won't help as the settings are saved separately - either in "My Games" folder or in Steam's Cloud.
Thanks. I'll try deleting them.

Hopefully this will get answered here. I'm using a Dualshock 4 via DS4Windows and I'm noticing a significant sized deadzone with the analog sticks. It's frustratingly hard to aim. I'm wondering if the Xbox One controller is the same. If anyone has played the console versions, is there deadzone as well? Wondering if it's the game or my setup.

Hopefully this will get answered here. I'm using a Dualshock 4 via DS4Windows and I'm noticing a significant sized deadzone with the analog sticks. It's frustratingly hard to aim. I'm wondering if the Xbox One controller is the same. If anyone has played the console versions, is there deadzone as well? Wondering if it's the game or my setup.
You don't have to turn on DS4Windows.

Fallout 4 recognizes the DS4 natively (wired) without the use of an Xinput wrapper, and it actually maps all the buttons correctly (even uses the touchpad as a button to switch camera from FPS to TPS).

The UI button prompts are sometimes not correct, always in the same situations, but nothing that is too bothersome.

Top Bottom