• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain new stuff (pic & ^r

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
trk_rkd said:
Comments like this ignore the fact that even gamers who LIKE the concept of a neo-adventure game with an emphasis on storytelling, dialogue & character may hate this game because the story, dialogue, character & VA are so damn bad. The VA in the trailers has been goddamn awful so far.

My big concern with this game is that it will bomb not because of the concept but because of the execution, yet game financers will be so struck by the lousy sales that they won't fund another game like this for another five years. that'd be a shame. I'd LOVE to play a game like this, but that game still has to be good (on all the grounds that Heavy Rain is playing on: character, dialogue, story etc etc). Heavy Rain hasn't impressed me at all on those grounds so far (sure I haven't played it but trailers are a good indication of this kind of thing after all)
Yeah, I'm somewhat along those lines of thinking myself.

To me, the story seems very interesting from some comments I've read. It's certainly going to throw a few curveballs along the way (and I bet they will make you second guess if Ethan is the killer, but he will not be). The characters could be interesting, but the voicing doesn't help them. I'm sure that the game will play up the fact that as you participate and inspect their daily lives closely, they'll get under your skin, and you'll start caring. That has worked well in Fahrenheit, and I can see it working even better here.

But yeah, the voice acting and the unnatural flow of the dialogue could break it all so badly. It doesn't help when a recently released game that doesn't even focus on characters as much, has set the standards so high (UC2). I really wish they'd release some French voiced trailer or gameplay already, as French natives, I bet they've done a much better job selecting those actors, even if they are not aware of it.

jett

D-Member
Don't put crazy fucking stupid plot twists beyond the capabilities of David Cage. :p If this game actually delivers plot-wise I'll be amazed.

Shurs

netguy503 said:
:lol :lol :lol

Torgo, you hear that, he just called you a teen.

On the last PS Nation podcast I listened to, I think Torgo mentioned that he lived at home, in his mother's basement.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Chrysalis said:
Hey...nothing could be worse than the cluster comprising the second half of Fahrenheit. Nowhere to go but up...

It's funny because I didn't really mind the supernatural element in IP. I was used to it. Almost every single movie in Hollywood pulls a ridiculous supernatural stunt like that.

So I plowed through the game.
But then towards the end, the game lost every piece of thrill, investigation and loneliness. It was now DDR for your fingers as every scene in the game became a QTE cutscene. I didn't mind them so much in the beginning, but when a boss fight in the game ends up being a 10+ minute QTE that if you fail, you have to start over, I took out the game and never touched it again.

If Heavy Rain retains the first few hours of IP with a normal thrilling murder story (I would die for something cool like the Monster manga/anime) then it's got me sold all over.

u_neek

Here's a bigger version of the amazing Japanese boxart. Anybody know if this version is going to be censored and have an English language option?

51jBNy4RNzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
trk_rkd said:
BTW if it turns out ethan mars is the killer and he's been going on a murderous rampage every time he blacks out: david cage you have failed as a human being.

I can imagine David Cage reading this and running back to the typewriter to quickly change the story.

As long as the story doesn't become all giant bugs and the matrix and sex for no narrative reason that goes against everything we've seen before I'll be happy. Though, I can't see Cage going for a twist as obvious as the 'killer when he blacks out' one.

whatevermort said:
As long as the story doesn't become all giant bugs and the matrix and sex for no narrative reason that goes against everything we've seen before I'll be happy. Though, I can't see Cage going for a twist as obvious as the 'killer when he blacks out' one.

Cage has been very clear that the story will not take any insane sci-fi twists. So no Matrix stupidity this time.

trk_rkd

Banned
Lord Error said:
But yeah, the voice acting and the unnatural flow of the dialogue could break it all so badly. It doesn't help when a recently released game that doesn't even focus on characters as much, has set the standards so high (UC2). I really wish they'd release some French voiced trailer or gameplay already, as French natives, I bet they've done a much better job selecting those actors, even if they are not aware of it.

Too true. Naughty Dog have absolutely not done any favours to quantic dream on the character/dialogue/VA front. i mean, uncharted 2 was an excellent shooter but it wasn't what made it exceptional (as far as 09 games go i personally though tkillzone 2 was better as far as pure shooting & enemy AI mechanics go). but the two things that really stood out in UC2 for me were the dialogue/characters/va and the personality of the locations... the whole fucking game just wreaked of character. distil that kind of character in to the Heavy Rain gameplay concept and you have an absolute hands-down fucking contender for game of the generation (who wouldn't want to take control of nate drake, not as a guy who jumps around and shoots people but as a guy who makes decisions & delivers pitch-perfect quips? consider me sold). looking at the heavy rain trailers in that context and it just comes up kinda short. i'm still excited for the concept but all the trailers other than the liepzig 08 have been SERIOUSLY underwhelming.

Replicant

u_neek said:
Here's a bigger version of the amazing Japanese boxart. Anybody know if this version is going to be censored and have an English language option?

51jBNy4RNzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There's something Silent Hill-ish about this JPN cover.

Denzar

To me this game has the potential to be a huge succes and break out to the mass market.

For the mass market it's instantly recognizable. A noir thriller with different, realistic characters, everyday situations (baking eggs, ...), and no excessive violence and a gripping story (at least that's what they say).

The controls are different but not complicated, and when you need to perform a certain action the button prompt appears on the screen. No convoluted controls make it easy for people that are not used to 17 different buttons.

When you die it's not game over. The story continues. No penalty.

KTallguy

Banned
trk_rkd said:
...but the two things that really stood out in UC2 for me were the dialogue/characters/va and the personality of the locations... the whole fucking game just wreaked of character.

"Reeked of character." :)

I pray that this game does well enough to make a lasting impression.

AKS

ACE 1991 said:
I guess so, but I feel that the game will have more of an emotional impact if my eyes aren't diverted from the action on screen to read subtitles.

Unless you have a legitimate reading disability, I doubt it. Watch a movie like Grave of the Fireflies, Red Cherry, or Lilja 4-ever with subtitles and tell me it had limited emotional impact. I've never been more emotionally impacted by a movie than Grave of the Fireflies, and I don't speak Japanese. The tone and delivery of the original voice acting is typically the best and most powerful because it's exactly what the director intended. You usually lose a lot through dubbing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I remain extremely skeptical. It is a Quantic Dream game. Definitely not a 'day one' for me, but I'll almost certainly check it out at some point down the road.

Love the JP box-art

Dogenzaka

Banned
vazel said:
Uh, no not really... Not at all...

Do you....not watch movies or something? xD
How many times is there a killer that's killed someone and doesn't know why he's doing those things?

How many times does this crap end up getting mixed in with things like aliens or ancient cultures or ghosts or religious stuff?

It happens a lot....Indigo Prophecy doesn't exactly surprise me with the turns it took in its plot, especially since they pretty much hinted from the first moment in the game it was going to take a supernatural turn
the weird guy and the candles and the creepy girl and the trance he was in

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, suddenly I want this game. :lol

Do the characters get to pick up stuff and use 'em? (Like a point and click game)

FirewalkR

Rez said:
I remain extremely skeptical. It is a Quantic Dream game. Definitely not a 'day one' for me, but I'll almost certainly check it out at some point down the road.

Love the JP box-art

Nooooo!!! No skepticism, Rez! Just reverence for the GOTY 2010!!!!

Heavy Rain > You

;)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mr. Sam said:
Essentially, yes.

Day 1

I'm going to have to loan soon ;_;

Mr. Sam

ULTROS! said:
Day 1

I'm going to have to loan soon ;_;

You even get to - wait for it - open fridges and prepare food. What about that doesn't scream "game of the year" to you?

Nah, I'm looking forward to it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm actually not so hot on the Japanese cover now I've seen it in decent quality, if it was all grainy and not so obvious I'd prefer it. I still think it's way better than the other two though.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Rez said:

Love the JP box-art
Agreed. While I really want this to be great, I can't help but be concerned by the concerns for controls and the off-feeling I get from the trailers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
u_neek said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jBNy4RNzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg[/QUOTE]

remove the _aa280_ and viola

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jBNy4RNzL.SL500.jpg

way better than the shitty US cover

Mr. Sam

EU cover's my favourite, though it's not as if I'm going to be looking at it a lot - it'll be in my shelf with all my other PS3 games.

I'm also thinking about making the official thread for this.

ULTROS!

Mr. Sam said:
You even get to - wait for it - open fridges and prepare food. What about that doesn't scream "game of the year" to you?

Nah, I'm looking forward to it.

Oooooh.. *gets goosebumps*

i get ecstatic over really strange things

I've not really noticed anything too janky with the VA in most of the released trailers, it seems mostly servicable. Whether "servicable2 is enough remains to be seen I guess.

I picked up IP during the steam sale and loved it, I think partially because I knew from other peoples' comments that the plot goes apeshit near the end. Didn't stop it from being a totally unique experience.

This is by far my most anticipated title of the year. Definite day 1.

thcsquad

Does anybody think that Sony will market this on the primetime crime dramas? Others have mentioned that the game definitely has the opportunity to blow up, but it won't unless the target market (CSI/Criminal Minds/twenty other crime dramas) knows about it.

I think the animation and voice acting is good enough. We can compare it to Uncharted 2 all day, but the CSI crowd doesn't care. If they did, David Caruso wouldn't have a career.

Still, I just don't expect Sony to put that kind of a marketing push behind this game.

Deepack said:
To me this game has the potential to be a huge succes and break out to the mass market.

For the mass market it's instantly recognizable. A noir thriller with different, realistic characters, everyday situations (baking eggs, ...), and no excessive violence and a gripping story (at least that's what they say).

The controls are different but not complicated, and when you need to perform a certain action the button prompt appears on the screen. No convoluted controls make it easy for people that are not used to 17 different buttons.

When you die it's not game over. The story continues. No penalty.

Arguably, you could posit that the reasons you listed may also prevent it from going mainstream.

It could go either way at this point, but I think it will remain a niche title based on gamer trends and past games of the same nature.

I will wait for gamer reactions (rather than "official" reviews) to formulate a decision to buy the game. The demo will help too.

Truant

I don't know how David Cage could sit around with a straight face saying these characters are realistic. It looks like a The Asylum film with stage dolls.

Also, they should have waited a few years with this game for technology to catch up.

It's the gaming equivalent to the would-be the total disaster of Cameron making Avatar right after Titanic.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kanugo said:
51rLOgwfwDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Was this posted yet? Amazon.fr

why ? because it's from a french developer ?

HR is just don't fit with the idea of bundles ,it's niche game and not well knowing franchise or system seller title or even party/family game. :/

Mendokuse said:
Looks really bad.

if you think this is bad , then go and see Yakuza 3 US cover.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Truant said:
I don't know how David Cage could sit around with a straight face saying these characters are realistic. It looks like a The Asylum film with stage dolls.

Also, they should have waited a few years with this game for technology to catch up.
There have been story/dialogue heavy games with much, much crappier looking human characters, Dragon Age and Mass Effect just on top of my head, and that still didn't stop them from being enjoyable and with good critical reception. So if they didn't need to wait for technology to catch up, why should this, when it does a better job. It's much more about how they are voiced and how the dialogue flows anyways, and that's where this game has yet to prove itself.

Deepack said:
No, no, no! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTkmDLUm2w

Truant said:

It's the gaming equivalent to the would-be the total disaster of Cameron making Avatar right after Titanic.
I think they look fuckin' fantastic, compared to pretty much every other console release out there.

Top Bottom