• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

I play through Zelda once a year on average. Great way to kill a few hours. I prefer the sequel but the first one has a certain charm. Crazy how far ahead of it's time that game is

Tell me more what you think of Adventure of Link. I'm genuinely curious...it seems like a love or hate game.

Timu

Commando
Jackal
Rush N Attack
Silkworm
Heavy Barrel

All these games are under 10 bucks, I better get them while they're low.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So are the original Metroid and kid Icarus any good? Or are these in the "not aged well" category? Wondering if it's going to be an exercise in frustration or genuine fun challenge.

In Metroid, you should probably beat the whole game in one go to avoid grinding for health. I would also use a map since the rooms look so similar. Then it will be fun.

Kid Icarus is genuinely great, its kinda hard in the start, but gets easier and very fun with its varied levels and inventive dungeons. Hope you will have fun!

Morfeo

Tell me more what you think of Adventure of Link. I'm genuinely curious...it seems like a love or hate game.

I LOVE Zelda 2, its my third favorite game on the system actually. I really like the core combat in it, which is pretty deep for a game of its nature, and I love how the overworld is in overhead view, and it then turns sidescrolling when entering a hot spot. This gives the game a great sense of scale (the original is apparently only a small part of the map in Zelda 2). The level up-system, magic, bosses, dungeons, secrets are all great. Simply one of the best adventure-games ever.

For some reason it has a reputation as being difficult, but that is not true. There is exactly one difficult spot in the game, which comes at the end (as it should). The game is very well balanced, but its different, meaning many people who might just check it out on an emulator, probably would find it pretty hard. Kinda like Dark Souls today.

One of my favourites, but a completely different thing.

For maximum effect you need to play them in order. Metroid 3 directly references 1 so much, and one of the ways it is brilliant is the way it plays with the expectations of someone who has completed 1.

Then part of ZM's brilliance is the way it turns that back around, referencing 1,2 and 3, the latter two retroactively. It explains how certain changes happened to the planet for 3, and needs to be played after it IMO for maximum effect.

All are great games by themselves, but as a whole they are even better.

Play Metroid 1 with saving, a guide and a map and that will do, it's not that hard. It can actually be finished in like 30 minutes!

I've never actually played them all back to back but I definitely agree with this. And yeah, the NES original is still plenty playable today. It's not that hard and the structure may be non-linear but it's also not very complex.

In Metroid, you should probably beat the whole game in one go to avoid grinding for health. I would also use a map since the rooms look so similar. Then it will be fun.

Kid Icarus is genuinely great, its kinda hard in the start, but gets easier and very fun with its varied levels and inventive dungeons. Hope you will have fun!

I agree about using a map in Metroid. Norfair was pretty tricky for me without one, all those false floors and such. Plus using a map let me plan out the optimal route to hit all the missile/energy tank rooms etc. in a decent order to avoid back tracking. Managed to get the best ending using that method.
Its still a really fun game. Much shorter than I expected (though I have myself to blame for that, not using a map would have made it much longer). The bosses could be pretty tricky if not careful, they really packed a punch!

I LOVE Zelda 2, its my third favorite game on the system actually. I really like the core combat in it, which is pretty deep for a game of its nature, and I love how the overworld is in overhead view, and it then turns sidescrolling when entering a hot spot. This gives the game a great sense of scale (the original is apparently only a small part of the map in Zelda 2). The level up-system, magic, bosses, dungeons, secrets are all great. Simply one of the best adventure-games ever.

For some reason it has a reputation as being difficult, but that is not true. There is exactly one difficult spot in the game, which comes at the end (as it should). The game is very well balanced, but its different, meaning many people who might just check it out on an emulator, probably would find it pretty hard. Kinda like Dark Souls today.

I agree with this so much. I finally played Zelda 2 recently after putting it off for years but I absolutely loved it when I did play it through. I actually really like the combat - its a really fast paced system where you have to attack and block enemy attacks incredibly quickly in order to defeat them. I didn't find it hard either, challenging in places yes - but not really super difficult by any means.

Lol, not a souls or bloodborne fan :( too frustrating for me

But I see your points re: Zelda 2! Sounds great.

I wonder if the input lag on emulators clouds people's judgement on the difficulty level.

You can also buy a new label for it online for $3

oh i was just commenting on technoman giving it away to someone else =)

but yeah, i love some metroid.

does anyone still have their nintendo fun club issues?
one issue had a fan contest for metroid where nintendo fun club posted the top 5 drawings. number one was amazing. original suit samus in lava with Kraid in the backgound.
(number two was a cool picture of samus in purple varia missile mode) man i wish i could see those again...

btrboyev

oh i was just commenting on technoman giving it away to someone else =)

but yeah, i love some metroid.

does anyone still have their nintendo fun club issues?
one issue had a fan contest for metroid and ninetendo fun club posted the top 5 drawings. number one was amazing. original suit samus in lava with Kraid in the backgound.
number two was a cool picture of samus in purple varia missile mode.
I have all of my fun club issues, though not all of them are in good shape.

I have all of my fun club issues, though not all of them are in good shape.

can you post a shot of the metroid contest? that brings back so many memories. making metroid my all time favorite Nintendo franchise.
(until the most recent metroid announcement)

climbing up through walls by standing by bubble gates was awesome unless you get stuck.

in that case don't open them! sounds too expensive to take out.

i found a scan of it!
x1zHppVh.jpg

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Dang, that's a real good deal. Gargoyles Quest by itself goes for around $75 these days, with Darkwing Duck being around $40.

That makes me sad. If I want to go back and play some childhood videogames I have to pay as much as games that are published today.

There was a game store that opened for about six weeks here called Rhino Videogames, owned by Blockbuster I believe. They were awesome because they stocked all sorts of retro games. I was able to get Ducktales and Little Nemo for something like $10 each. (maybe less)

A shame things have gotten stupid lately.

D.Lo

I'm guessing I'd have to gut a NES extension cable or two and a famicom controller to get the ends?
Famicom/Neo Geo extension lead, and two NES extension leads. You could use a dead 3rd party Fami controller instead I guess.

I used the other half to make a reverse adapter which allowed use of Fami pads on NES.

Mine looked nicer than that, I installed the NES plugs in a small project box. Don't have them anymore though, sold with consoles ages ago.

Morfeo

That makes me sad. If I want to go back and play some childhood videogames I have to pay as much as games that are published today.

There was a game store that opened for about six weeks here called Rhino Videogames, owned by Blockbuster I believe. They were awesome because they stocked all sorts of retro games. I was able to get Ducktales and Little Nemo for something like $10 each. (maybe less)

A shame things have gotten stupid lately.

To be fair, these games are better and thus worth more than most games released today. Kinda makes sense to me that there is a big market for it, and that we thus have to pay quite a bit.

Huggers

With pleasure!

Adventure of Link isn't only the best NES Zelda, it's the best Zelda. Has the best of both worlds. Exploratory over head view with towns and hidden areas and secrets, in a huge map with great and varied areas. Mixed with some of the best 2D action platforming combat ever. I like to think of it as a 2D Dark Souls and This is where the game stands heads and shoulders avove other Ezlda games. It is tough in parts but there are far tougher NES games and really once you've got more skilled at tackling certain enemies and levelled up it is amazing. The progression system of unlocking various magics etc all of that. It's just so good. OST is stunning too. I LOVE Adventure of Link. Zelda as a whole should have taken more from this game going forward and less from the first

With pleasure!

Adventure of Link isn't only the best NES Zelda, it's the best Zelda. Has the best of both worlds. Exploratory over head view with towns and hidden areas and secrets, in a huge map with great and varied areas. Mixed with some of the best 2D action platforming combat ever. I like to think of it as a 2D Dark Souls and This is where the game stands heads and shoulders avove other Ezlda games. It is tough in parts but there are far tougher NES games and really once you've got more skilled at tackling certain enemies and levelled up it is amazing. The progression system of unlocking various magics etc all of that. It's just so good. OST is stunning too. I LOVE Adventure of Link. Zelda as a whole should have taken more from this game going forward and less from the first

These types of posts cost me money :) thanks!

Is the save system compatible with the difficult gameplay or do you "lose" your progression and become weaker when dying like souls/BB?

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

January has come and gone, and with it, the divisive Rygar has had its time
in the sun. Hopefully you've all saved the kingdom of Argool, but if not,
well, sucks for them! We're moving on to Shatterhand for February!​

BrMaHWu.png

Shatterhand is one of those games that came out late in the lifecycle of the
NES/Famicom, and as such, it didn't receive the widespread attention it would have
had it released when the system was in its prime. Its reputation is certainly
growing stronger, though, as its a pretty fantastic game.

At its core, Shaterhand is a side-scrolling action game with an emphasis on
brawling combat. The action is tight and responsisve and the power-up system is
unique and engaging. Everything about this one is top-notch, so enough blabbering,
let's get to playing it!​

w9fTkXd.png

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process
The first week of each month, the selection process for the following
month commences. The first five games suggested that have not
yet been played, and were not nominated the month before will be
added to the list and will be voted on.
So be sure to come in early to
nominate your favorites!

On the 7th day of the month, or when we reach five nominations (whichever comes
first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016

ElTopo

Banned
FxDUzwx.gif

I FUCKING LOVE SHATTERHAND!

It was one of those random games my dad bought me and I put a lot of time into it and did love it. But I could never beat the Ninja boss. I managed to beat the Ninja once, but I think I ran out of continues and couldn't finish. Then a couple of months after getting the game I got a Genesis and moved onto the 16 bit era without beating it. Flash forward to when I'm 19 and setting a goal of beating all of the old games I played as a kid. One of the first games I played was Shatterhand (once I saw the cover that jogged my memory as I actually forgot the name of the game and had mistaken it for Power Blade). Now it's a game that I beat yearly. AMAZING game. A masterpiece of 2D action/platforming. Better than any Megaman game.

OnPoint

I nominate mega man 1 for next month

Gotta put the kibosh on that idea. It's way over our proposed limit of $30, clocking in at around $75-$80 on eBay this morning. After a quick search you are free to nominate Mega Man 3, as it seems to be about $25. Unfortunately every other Mega Man game seems to be trending over $30.

Did you want to switch your nomination to Mega Man 3?

G-Fex

Gotta put the kibosh on that idea. It's way over our proposed limit of $30, clocking in at around $75-$80 on eBay this morning. After a quick search you are free to nominate Mega Man 3, as it seems to be about $25. Unfortunately every other Mega Man game seems to be trending over $30.

Did you want to switch your nomination to Mega Man 3?

PFFT

Sure ! I just beat it last night

OnPoint

So be it! We'll open voting when we reach five. Please remember that if a title was nominated last month, it can not be nominated this month. That means no Renegade, Trog, Startropics or TMNT.

Nominees for March 2016
  1. Mega Man 3
  2. Kickle Cubicle
  3. The Guardian Legend
  4. Deja Vu
  5. ???

TeaJay

How about Star Tropics again? I do need an extra incentive to play that one again. But it's one of my favourite games from my childhood.

OnPoint

Not limited to platformers. We are trying to steer clear of lengthy, super time-consuming games, but that doesn't mean nothing but platformers.

Kickle Cubicle is good.
The Guardian Legend is good.
Startropics will have to wait until next month.

OnPoint

We are not nominating TMNT for a third month in a row haha

Be ready to nominate it next month, is all I can really say.

One final nomination slot open still...

Huggers

We are not nominating TMNT for a third month in a row haha

Be ready to nominate it next month, is all I can really say.

One final nomination slot open still...

Haha would that really make it 3 months on the bounce? It was thrown to the wolves going up against Shatterhand. Still it got a solid amount of votes. Is Power Blade in budget? It's super cheap in pal land but I have a feeling the NTSC cart isn't?

These types of posts cost me money :) thanks!

Is the save system compatible with the difficult gameplay or do you "lose" your progression and become weaker when dying like souls/BB?

The save system is a little harsh but perfectly manageable and definitely not a deal breaker

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I woke up this morning to find out I was the winner of boxed copies of Pac-Land and Fantasy Zone for the Famicom at $12.49 and $5.00 respectively from Hit-Japan on eBay, so that was a cool surprise.

I wasn't ever terribly interested in getting CIB Famicom games, but I figured I'd throw in a few bids for some boxed games they were putting up to see what happens. I was outbid on Fantasy Zone 2 and just about everything else was already more than I was willing to spend by the time I made the first bid.

$5 for a boxed Fantasy Zone seems pretty good since it is pretty much that price for just the cartridge, with Pac-Land being a slightly less good deal because the cart seems to be around $8.

s-l800.jpg

s-l800.jpg

psylah

Saw a lady at my local thrift store put a stack of about 10 games down by the cashier to hold just as I walked in. She was definitely a reseller (there is a flea market nearby), because in the stack was absolute garbage, but the two she got away with that I would've grabbed were Super C and Ghosts n Goblins. I shoulda made the thrift shop my first stop.

So this is what came in the mail today. I thought it was an interesting concept.. a chiptune soundtrack on a Famicom cart. I'm looking forward to listening to it today :) Also looking forward to playing Shatterhand and Solbrain today as well :)

Top Bottom