• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom x Microsoft announcement...Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Stand down, people

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
uh uh no way said:
not really. the game is slow as hell with weird controls that aren't well suited to the huge battles you use them in. it's not for everyone. The Japanese seem to love it...not sure how big it is here in the U.S.

You say slow, I say "just right" Controls arent weird, theyre just different from other games.

I'll admit that its a game so different in gameplay that it needs a certain amount of time for it to "click", I dont think that happens in a couple of days.

Agnates

Banned
The franchise doesn't suck as mister-my-taste-alone-matters-and-anything-else-sucks says but it's also not megaton as it's just a 3 years old port, likely with fees, if it will even get localised, when the Wii's getting a sequel that doesn't look like a PSP game. Unless it's a remake or sequel but the description didn't sound like it...

TheCardPlayer said:
Want me to send you a message over Live? Monster Hunter will still suck shit though.

EDIT. Just sent you a message over XBox Live. Happy now?

Yes because i can add you to my block list

freaking out and saying a game sucks shit in an announcement thread? really?

If you don't like the news just GTFO and stop trying to shit this thread up for everyone else.

iceatcs

Very confused.

I just can't see if it is benefit for Microsoft at all. I mean it isn't brand new MH game.
I suppose good game Capcom, you deserve for more jackpot.

andymcc

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Sorry but millions have no taste then. Monster Hunter sucks fucking shit. Tis the truth.

hey you defended the hell out of super castlevania iv, so, it's not like your some purveyor of great taste or something.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
NinjaFusion said:
Yes because i can add you to my block list

freaking out and saying a game sucks shit in an announcement thread? really?

If you don't like the news just GTFO and stop trying to shit this thread up for everyone else.

I forgot that the thread was titled, for Monster Hunter fans only. What? People not liking a shitty game pisses you off? Guess you must have gotten my PM over Live. Go ahead and block me. I can't stand to play with people lacking a goddamn spine. :lol

andymcc said:
hey you defended the hell out of super castlevania iv, so, it's not like your some purveyor of great taste or something.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Right because SCVIV sucks compared to goddamn Monster Hunter. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Raging Spaniard said:
You say slow, I say "just right" Controls arent weird, theyre just different from other games.

I'll admit that its a game so different in gameplay that it needs a certain amount of time for it to "click", I dont think that happens in a couple of days.

how much should a person put in? it's not unreasonable to expect a game to be good within a day or two. Not everyone has time to get past the first shitty twenty hours of a game. Monster Hunter is slow-paced, unforgiving timing in fights, a complex item system with weird things like cooking food correctly (wtf) and sharpening weapons and other little things that people might find arbitrary and convoluted...you can't really expect everyone to care for it.

that said, I've tried MHF, MHF2, and the PS2 version. Can't get into it, but I'm sure I'll try a month of the 360 version :)

Agnates

Banned
Monster Hunter doesn't suck, you just suck at it, and lack the spine to play it properly. It's not hard at all to grasp the basics and start kicking monster ass.

Tenbatsu

IlliterateBookworm said:
1400 a month? Ouch. I guess that isn't too bad (seems comparable to other MMO prices), but that adds up fast. Having never payed for an online game, I guess this'll be my first.
Never make MH Frontier the first MH game you ever played. Make it MH3 Tri.

andymcc

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Right because SCVIV sucks compared to goddamn Monster Hunter. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i'm not even a big monster hunter fan and i can say this: at least monster hunter doesn't have broken combat.

Firestorm said:
TheCardPlayer, I think you missed a few smiley faces there.

Looking through his post history... let's just say he seems like a real nice, happy go lucky sort of guy - the kind that has a ton of real life friends and is dead popular.

[/sarcasm]

TheCardPlayer

Agnates said:
Monster Hunter doesn't suck, you just suck at it, and lack the spine to play it properly. It's not hard at all to grasp the basics and start kicking monster ass.

Sorry but I like good gameplay. MH doesn't have that. It's fucking souless.

NinjaFusion said:
Looking through his post history... let's just say he seems like a real nice, happy go lucky sort of guy - the kind that has a ton of real life friends and is dead popular.

[/sarcasm]
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Agnates

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Sorry but I like good gameplay. MH doesn't have that. It's fucking souless.
No, learn to play :lol

Edit: :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Raadius

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
This is the worst thread ever. :lol

It is MH, it isn't MH, it is MH, make up your fucking minds already internet!

it is mh, isn't it :(
Most likely.

buuuuut I'm still hoping for last minute breaking news of Rival Schools remake :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
uh uh no way said:
how much should a person put in? it's not unreasonable to expect a game to be good within a day or two. Not everyone has time to get past the first shitty twenty hours of a game. Monster Hunter is slow-paced, unforgiving timing in fights, a complex item system with weird things like cooking food correctly (wtf) and sharpening weapons and other little things that people might find arbitrary and convoluted...you can't really expect everyone to care for it.

that said, I've tried MHF, MHF2, and the PS2 version. Can't get into it, but I'm sure I'll try a month of the 360 version :)

This is how it worked for me (lol) Bought MHF2 on PSP due to seeing how popular it was in Japan. I played for about 20 or so hours and got my ass kicked, didnt know or understood the farm, barely could hit or defeat anything, never packed the necessary items ... At the end of the day I didnt get the hype. After a year my wife decided to try it and got SUPER HOOKED, which led me to buy her her own copy so that we could play together and see if multiplayer changed my perspective .. and it did! She kinda "got" the game right away, explained a bunch of shit, then I went online and read about timing, dodging, combos and items and I was way better and kicking ass overnight. After a while I had another breaktrough when I managed to beat Tigrex for the first time

Its a game that rewards reflexes and timing, with every weapon acting like a separate game. I love that its an action game that doesnt follow DMC or Ninja Gaiden, its like the Street Fighter of action games. Its gorgeous, has good music and the minimalistic story has a lot of charm, plus the armor designs are my favorite in the business.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
So there's a cellphonecam of the regular Famitsu cover now. It's real.

Hmm... does 360-only support my theory of a Basara 3-style dual platform PSWii release for MH3G? In the fullness of time we shall see!

NinMicroSega said:
No wait, guys, is this Monster Hunter?

toads.jpg

I can't tell. I haven't read the last few pages.

So is it?
Battletoads?

TheCardPlayer

Raging Spaniard said:
This is how it worked for me (lol) Bought MHF2 on PSP due to seeing how popular it was in Japan. I played for about 20 or so hours and got my ass kicked, didnt know or understood the farm, barely could hit or defeat anything, never packed the necessary items ... At the end of the day I didnt get the hype. After a year my wife decided to try it and got SUPER HOOKED, which led me to buy her her own copy so that we could play together and see if multiplayer changed my perspective .. and it did! She kinda "got" the game right away, explained a bunch of shit, then I went online and read about timing, dodging, combos and items and I was way better and kicking ass overnight. After a while I had another breaktrough when I managed to beat Tigrex for the first time

Its a game that rewards reflexes and timing, with every weapon acting like a separate game. I love that its an action game that doesnt follow DMC or Ninja Gaiden, its like the Street Fighter of action games. Its gorgeous, has good music and the minimalistic story has a lot of charm, plus the armor designs are my favorite in the business.

Again, I'm only one achievement away from 1000G in Bayonetta and I bought Mega Man 9 on both Wii and 360. And I got the DLC on both consoles. I nearly 100% the Wii version and I barely touched the 360 one. But I still bought it.

I'm an hardcore gamer and I love to learn games, but there is nothing deep about Monster Hunter. It's just a game that caught on, and people love to ignore the flaws since it's popular as fuck. It's the Twilight of games. Commercial drivel, with a huge marketing machine behind it.

Jonnyram

Aokage said:
So there's a cellphonecam of the regular Famitsu cover now. It's real.

Hmm... does 360-only support my theory of a Basara 3-style dual platform PSWii release for MH3G? In the fullness of time we shall see!
So, will we hear about the new Platinum Games title too? :O

Agnates

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
I'm an hardcore gamer and I love to learn games, but there is nothing deep about Monster Hunter. It's just a game that caught on, and people love to ignore the flaws since it's popular as fuck. It's the Twilight of games. Commercial drivel, with a huge marketing machine behind it.
Bullshit, you're acting like a hyperactive child who runs home crying and calls his friends to tell them what he didn't manage to "get" and get good at is the shittiest thing ever as it should have succumbed to his Mega Man busting awesomeness. And his friends suck too for liking it :lol

andymcc

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Again, I'm only one achievement away from 1000G in Bayonetta and I bought Mega Man 9 on both Wii and 360. And I got the DLC on both consoles. I nearly 100% the Wii version and I barely touched the 360 one. But I still bought it.

is this where i spam your laughing smileys to try to drive a point home?

edit: wait, the twilight of video games? hahahaha oh shit.

Tenbatsu

TheCardPlayer said:
You're making a fool of yourself here. Seriously.

mt09ap.jpg

Raging Spaniard

TheCardPlayer said:

I bet you like apples man, fuck you. Oranges are where its at.

Tenbatsu said:
Never make MH Frontier the first MH game you ever played. Make it MH3 Tri.

Not a problem, this is far from my first. Me and the little one are eagerly awaiting arena mode for Tri.

Also, for everyone saying the game sucks and whining about it- it's no different than the trappings and mechanics that every other genre or type of game has. Every genre has their nuances.

For example, I suck at FPS games. Can't control them worth crap. Do I piss and shit all over them because I go batshit crazy with the mouse waving it all over the desktop or flailing the right stick in every direction but where I need to go? Nope. I try to look past my own shortcomings and learn to see why others value it so much.

The game has an arbitrary set of rules and it not only expects you to play according to them, but teaches you how with the introductory quests, the magazines, the training hall... it's all there to help you get used to the mechanics. Just like most FPS games have you go through the ropes to understand how to play, or an RPG explains away all the intricacies of its systems as you're first starting out.

There's a reason people are getting uppity at the snide comments- they've put the time in to understand the game. I never considered the early hours of the game shitty by any means. It was exciting taking out the 'Dromes for the first time, finally killing a Kut-ku, heading out to new and exciting locations, getting online for the first time to gang up on the big guys, coordinate with friends and family to finish off Fatalis... every accomplishment in this game is something you earn by your own efforts. If you put no effort into it, you don't get anything in return. Pretty simple.

And this is coming from someone who's not even that great at the game- still haven't been able to finish off Yama by myself or with a partner. Some day...

Agnates said:
Bullshit :lol
How is that unbelievable? Bayonetta's achievements aren't that bad.

And Monster Hunter is nowhere near "Twilight" caliber. Just because a game doesn't meet your HARDCORE standards doesn't mean it sucks. :\

Cynar

TheCardPlayer said:

I'm surprised you've lasted here since 2006 to be honest with a post like that. :lol

Luigiv

Haven't been following this thread so can someone clarify. Is it or isn't it MHF for 360? If it is, I'll laugh so hard at the irony of it all. Remember how when MH3 was announced for Wii everyone assumed that it'd reuse the PS2 engine and content, but had the game stayed HD it would have been built from scratch? Well if MHF goes to 360 then the exact opposite has just happened.

Agnates

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
How is that unbelievable?
Eh, that was more for the 2nd part of his post, not for his awesome gamer cred +10 achievements :lol

Luigiv said:
Haven't been following this thread so can someone clarify. Is it or isn't it MHF for 360? If it is, I'll laugh so hard at the irony of it all. Remember how when MH3 was announced for Wii everyone assumed that it'd reuse the PS2 engine and content, but had the game stayed HD it would have been built from scratch? Well if MHF goes to 360 then the exact opposite has just happened.
It is confirmed (I'm not sure if more will be announced as they say it was confirmed via magazine). MHF, on separate servers from the PC version, 1400 yen/month.

onken

So MHF then. Pretty crazy how they're not doing cross play, how many subscribers do they really expect to get?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Jonnyram said:
So, will we hear about the new Platinum Games title too? :O

Fingers crossed for SOMETHING else. It does appear to be the yearly "Strategy" conference...

Firestorm

TheCardPlayer said:
Guess I should just bow down in front of the SHITTY ASS GAME, because it's popular.

NOT.
It's nice to not like it.

Calling it "not a huge announcement" is a little idiotic as this is Japan-centric announcement and this franchise is one of the biggest things in Japan right now. Of course, you could just go on and on about how unique you are for not liking this game, but that doesn't seem to serve much purpose.

goldenpp72

how is it a huge announcement when

360 is a flop in japan

it's a port of an old game

it would be like saying final fantasy 7 coming to xbla is a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, even though I don't care about the series, I could see monster hunter 3 or 4 being a bigger deal, but this seems kind of pointless unless i'm missing something.

TheCardPlayer

Firestorm said:
It's nice to not like it.

Calling it "not a huge announcement" is a little idiotic as this is Japan-centric announcement and this franchise is one of the biggest things in Japan right now. Of course, you could just go on and on about how unique you are for not liking this game, but that doesn't seem to serve much purpose.

To be honest, you're the only sensible person who replied to me, so I think that I will listen to you and stop posting here, since obviously, it's huge to some people. But I honestly cannot see why. I never liked that series, and I tried too.

But yeah, what's the point. Different folks, different tastes. It's all good.

Top Bottom