• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom x Microsoft announcement...Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Stand down, people

Teknoman said:
WHAT?

13yj8yd.gif

the raido has a face! you can't unsee it!

Glass Soldier said:
So.... is this a big deal or not? Please, someone tell me :(

That is entirely up to you. Most people aren't that interested, but if you like MMOs and/or Monster Hunter, then this is the revelation of all revelations.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wait... Isn't Monster Hunter Frontier a 2007 PC MMO?

Teknoman

If power stone collection XBLA really was announced, that is pretty much a megaton for everyone. I mean online power stone wars? C'mon!

NinMicroSega said:
That is entirely up to you. Most people aren't that interested, but if you like MMOs and/or Monster Hunter, then this is the revelation of all revelations.

But what's the point in getting this if there's Monster Hunter 3, which seems to be the better game? The MMO part?

None of this shit means anything without important details. Where are they? What's different from the PC version it's segregated away from and when or can we expect a release period in NA and Europe? Other stuff, too...where's the other stuff beyond dates for various titles in Japan? Stupid embargoes.

goldenpp72 said:
how is it a huge announcement when

360 is a flop in japan

it's a port of an old game

it would be like saying final fantasy 7 coming to xbla is a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, even though I don't care about the series, I could see monster hunter 3 or 4 being a bigger deal, but this seems kind of pointless unless i'm missing something.
It's a significant announcement BECAUSE 360 is a flop in Japan. Also with regards to your FF7 comment, just because YOU don't care about something doesn't automatically make it not a huge announcement. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Agnates

Banned
It's not a significant announcement, it's FFXI/PSU all over again, yet even more belated in this case. How did those two help the 360 in Japan? Unless MHF is insanely popular to WoW levels there, but somehow I doubt that as the series only took off with the PSP iterations for their local play, not online. If we're talking new console buyer potential from the MH fanbase, what would they be more likely to pick? 360 + MHF + 1400 yen fees, or Wii + MHTri + 800 yen fees?

Or like the MHG port of Wii they released to the build up for 3. That didn't do anything meaningfully good, yeah? Cos it was also an old port.

Raadius

Banned
but is MHFO gonna resurrect the 360 in Japan? No. So why is this huge? I applaud MS for not giving up, but in some cases there gasping for straws.

Rare willing to lend out their IPs to 3rd parties + Rare going back to their old IPs + Niitsuma announcing a new VS. title + Niitsuma wants to cross Capcom's IPs with American/Western companies' IPs + Capcom x Microsoft =

Luigiv

Glass Soldier said:
But what's the point in getting this if there's Monster Hunter 3, which seems to be the better game? The MMO part?
From my understanding, the MMO part is pretty superficial, so the only interesting part would be the exclusive monsters.

DR2K

Banned
Raadius said:
but is MHFO gonna resurrect the 360 in Japan? No. So why is this huge? I applaud MS for not giving up, but in some cases there gasping for straws.

No, but they can gain more market share with it, increase user base, increase their software portfolio, and do this silly thing called making money. You can sell less consoles than your competitors and do that, true story.

luffeN

Teknoman said:
If power stone collection XBLA really was announced, that is pretty much a megaton for everyone. I mean online power stone wars? C'mon!

why is everyone thinking it will be this? I HOPE SO! but where do you get your hope from? xD

This thread is too confusing, is this really a port of a 4 year old game that was second-rate in the first place? I think reconfirming SSF4 would have been a bigger announcement...

goldenpp72

Monty Mole said:
It's a significant announcement BECAUSE 360 is a flop in Japan. Also with regards to your FF7 comment, just because YOU don't care about something doesn't automatically make it not a huge announcement. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you.

its not huge because it's OLD, seriously, this is going to fail on so many levels. MH3 on wii was a big deal, this isn't.

Jonnyram

Agnates said:
It's not a significant announcement, it's FFXI all over again, even more belated. How did that help the 360 in Japan? Unless MHF is insanely popular to WoW levels there, but somehow I doubt that as the series only took off with the PSP iterations for their local play, not online.
How is it FFXI all over again? There isn't a console version of MHF available yet.
If anything FFXI on 360 in Europe was a big deal, because it was the first console version of FFXI there. The population had a pretty decent increase because of it too.

If we're talking new console buyer potential from the MH fanbase, what would they be more likely to pick? 360 + MHF + 1400 yen fees, or Wii + MHTri + 800 yen fees?
That can't possibly be a serious question. MHF is an MMO, MHTri has online multiplayer. There's a massive difference.

Luigiv said:
From my understanding, the MMO part is pretty superficial, so the only interesting part would be the exclusive monsters.

Meh, so this isn't something to get excited for, like at all :-/ Give me a proper DMC Sequel already!

Man
(Today, 08:23 AM)
Reply | Quote

:eek:

Agnates

Banned
Jonnyram said:
How is it FFXI all over again? There isn't a console version of MHF available yet.
If anything FFXI on 360 in Europe was a big deal, because it was the first console version of FFXI there. The population had a pretty decent increase because of it too.

That can't possibly be a serious question. MHF is an MMO, MHTri has online multiplayer. There's a massive difference.
It's a pretty serious question. Give a serious answer. MHF runs on any crap PC, and a LOT of the content is the same as Portable 2/2G. Can you make larger hunting parties in MHF? How much larger? Large enough for fans to wanna pay extra? That it's a MMO doesn't mean much if the bulk of the game is similar. And again the online play was never what got the franchise so popular. So, not a big announcement, imo. We will see what splash it makes on release I guess.

Glass Soldier said:
Meh, so this isn't something to get excited for, like at all :-/ Give me a proper DMC Sequel already!

Man
(Today, 08:23 AM)
Reply | Quote

:eek:
there are plenty more important things that capcom needs to do over another fucking DMC game

like a new Strider Game
or Power Stone

NeoGIF

Gonna go to sleep and check back in about 2 hours or so. This wait is effin up my sleep schedule. Here falling asleep. :lol

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Please positive people. At least the chance for MH4 for 360 is there now.
I doubt it. Capcom has already started to build a fan base on the Wii and if they continue to release mainline MH on the Wii then there's a chance to grow that fan base (much like what's happened on the PSP). So it doesn't make sense for them to jump ship until the next generation rolls along. That being said, I would love to see a true MT Framework MH, if only to see what the art team could do with the extra horsepower.

PseudoKirby said:
there are plenty more important things that capcom needs to do over another fucking DMC game

like a new Strider Game
or Power Stone

Oh I'm all for a new Power Stone, Strider or even Project Justice but they have to make up for DMC5 first.

Chemo

Hahah WOW. So the only console without a Monster Hunter game now is the one that Monster Hunter was actually first announced for this generation?

Bitchslap, Capcom. Low!

sillik

Banned
Holy shit, everybody's out for blood it seems!
Cool announcement, MH is the perfect game for xbl/psn.

Yes, it's a port of an older pc version.
No, that doesn't mean the 360 version won't get extra polish.
Yes, without polish it'll still look better then tri by a landslide.
No, it's not a game changer in the land of the rising sun.
Yes, this could mean that the next MH could land on the HD consoles, concidering that capcom's main engine scales across all platforms.
No, we didn't need an announcement announcement over this capcom :D

Agnates

Banned
sillik said:
Yes, without polish it'll still look better then tri by a landslide
Uh, lol. No. Higher res won't hide the far more basic geometry, detailing and texture work. Sorry. Better visuals > less jaggies. MHF is PSP in HD.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If it is MH, I will give it a try. All I've heard are good things. I was going to get Tri though. Is Frontier better than Tri, graphics aside?

sillik said:
Yes, without polish it'll still look better then tri by a landslide.

Nope. Monster Hunter pretty much looks the same across most platforms, but Tri is clearly near to if not level with Frontier. MH3 is the better game, I intend to get that and pretend this doesnt exist, as ever.

Is it confirmed that the scan supposedly confirming all this isn't fake then, or is jumping the gun still the order of business?

Tenbatsu

godhandiscen said:
If it is MH, I will give it a try. All I've heard are good things. I was going to get Tri though. Is Frontier better than Tri, graphics aside?
Tri is better by a landslide. Visuals too.

CamHostage

Not very exciting as far as megatons go, but once people forget the hype and get some sleep, I don't think it's too hard to see this as a good thing for Xbox. It's a great series with a strong fanbase, and if they orient the franchise so that the online titles are on PC/PS3/360 while Wii gets main chapters and PSP gets the cream scraped off the Wii games as well as some spin-offs, that's not a bad spread for this kind of franchise.

By the way, there were rumors of MHFO coming to Xbox 360 about two months ago, as well as PS3 rumors of that same Frontier port and then a PSP version of MH Tri. I wonder if Microsoft somehow worked out a timed exclusive for this release?

Top Bottom