• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom x Microsoft announcement...Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Stand down, people

Agnates

Banned
I don't know about benchmarks, I'm talking actual gameplay, I was looking at videos on the tube and missed the benchmark which, now that I've seen it, does look really really good. But even official PR videos like this CAPCOM video (so I assume it's set to max visuals) aren't as good as that. That video doesn't just scream PS2 HD to you? Some elements are really HD sharp, but clearly lacking in detail, and areas use many simply flat surfaces and boxy designs. Granted, it looks much nicer than I remembered, it must be that enhancement pack someone mentioned, but Tri easily looks at least as good. And before the enhancement, which mostly seems to have vastly improved monster texture work and the previously jaggy low res foliage etc, as well as adding bloom, MH Tri looked easily superior. In some ways it still does to me (geometry levels most notably, though I imagine some of the newer MHFO stuff are just as good perhaps).

So, disregard that generational leap comment, but the bulk of the MHFO content, mainly the actual areas you traverse, is still inferior.

Tenbatsu

Gomu Gomu said:
Well, fuck :(. Good news for MH fans though I guess.

from the PR:

QOQk9.jpg

^ Did the PC version look like this?
yes.

Glass Soldier said:
Hold the fuck on! There's no PC version of Lost Planet 2?!

ESRB recently rated LP2 and listed it as a PC title along with it being a PS3 and 360 title. Capcom's just never officially confirmed it despite the fact that they demoed it on a PC when it was first shown.

Luigiv

Gomu Gomu said:
Well, fuck :(. Good news for MH fans though I guess.

from the PR:

QOQk9.jpg

^ Did the PC version look like this?
Hard to tell at that res. If I could see a larger res screenshot, I'll let you know.

WhiteAce said:
woah hold the fuck up here!!!!!!

really?!!?!??!

it would be stupid to move an online heavy game to the strongest online console which is also the easiest to port PC software to?

... reallly!?

seriously, the amount of shite being spoken about this announcement is at an all time hight, and the crux of it is scared little fanboys.

pissing pants up 15594% today, wii fans at the cusp.

if you want the game that to sell well in the japanese market 360 not really had a good history being easy and selling well are not the same

SolidSnakex said:
ESRB recently rated LP2 and listed it as a PC title along with a PS3 and 360 title. Capcom's just never officially confirmed it despite the fact that they demoed it on a PC when it was first shown.

Well I hope so, I'd buy that fucker in a heartbeat.

Edit: wtf @ WhiteAce :lol

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
More EXTREME INFOS:

It'll be a packaged game (no client download), the monthly ¥1400 fee includes Xbox LIVE Gold membership, a closed beta test starts in May, the retail version goes live in summer, it will have updates up to Season 8.5, and they are considering allowing access to PC version servers for 360 players at some point in the future.

MisterHero

Monster Hunter; nice. It'll be interesting to see how this helps 360 in Japan...

WhiteAce said:
woah hold the fuck up here!!!!!!

really?!!?!??!

it would be stupid to move an online heavy game to the strongest online console which is also the easiest to port PC software to?

... reallly!?

seriously, the amount of shite being spoken about this announcement is at an all time hight, and the crux of it is scared little fanboys.

pissing pants up 15594% today, wii fans at the cusp.
For a guy who's ranting about rabid fans you sure know how to talk without hyperbole

what the hell is wrong with you

Defuser

Does capcom does not love money?no ps3? or they're satisfied with the fat cheque from ms?
Gotta love capcom constant screwing over SCEJ lol

Well nice to see Capcom well and truly confusing the other console makers with this seemingly exclusive announcement. Nintendo fronting publishing and advertising for MH3 in the west and before its even out they'll have the "HD ONE IS BETTER" forum battlecrys and Sony looking wistfully at old "Monster Hunter 3 - PLAYSTATION 3" release lists :lol

Looks like they've found a way to exploit MH with all three, so well done to Capcom I guess?

And jesus christ WhiteAce did you just do a line of cocaine before coming into this thread or something? Fucking chill :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow, I just ran the benchmark for MHOF, it looks so good that I doubt the 360 could look better. :lol

SecretBonusPoint said:
Well nice to see Capcom well and truly confusing the other console makers with this seemingly exclusive announcement. Nintendo fronting publishing and advertising for MH3 in the west and before its even out they'll have the "HD ONE IS BETTER" forum battlecrys and Sony looking wistfully at old "Monster Hunter 3 - PLAYSTATION 3" release lists :lol

Looks like they've found a way to exploit MH with all three, so well done to Capcom I guess?

Truly this gen's best third party :lol

Luigiv

Agnates said:
I don't know about benchmarks, I'm talking gameplay. Like this official video (so I assume it's set to max visuals). That doesn't just scream PS2 HD to you? Some elements are really sharp, but clearly lacking in current gen detail, and areas use many simply flat surfaces and boxy designs. Granted, it looks much nicer than I remembered, it must be that enhancement pack someone mentioned, but Tri easily looks at least as good. And before the enhancement, which mostly seems to have fixed texture work and the jaggy foliage etc, MH Tri looked easily superior. And in some ways still is (geometry levels most notably, though I imagine some of the newer MHFO stuff are just as good perhaps).
Yes, it is a PS2 game in HD. It has some higher res textures and the odd Direct X effect thrown in here and there, but nothing else is improved. Much like most other PS2 games, HD only serves to make the environments feel more "empty" (for lack of a better word). On the whole MH3 is a much better looking game (though I'd say you were pushing it with "generational leap").

Aokage

And what the shit... there will be an original SSFIV anime by GONZO focusing on Juri by Afro Samurai director Fuminori Kizaki... ONLY ON XBOX 360®.

Onemic

Hasn't capcom learned from others that MMO's on the 360 simply don't work? Couple that with releasing the game only in Japan, where the 360 is virtually non-existent, really makes me wonder what the execs at capcom must have been smoking when they thought they would make decent revenue off this.

Even Monster hunter online for PC doesn't make much sense when you factor in the fact that the PC market for games other than date sims are pretty low.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Aokage said:
More EXTREME INFOS:

It'll be a packaged game (no client download), the monthly ¥1400 fee includes Xbox LIVE Gold membership, a closed beta test starts in May, the retail version goes live in summer, it will have updates up to Season 8.5, and they are considering allowing access to PC version servers for 360 players at some point in the future.
Includes? Does that mean if I have Gold it is free or comes with Gold if I pay for the monthly fee?

Aokage said:
And what the shit... there will be an original SSFIV anime by GONZO focusing on Juri by Afro Samurai director Fuminori Kizaki... ONLY ON XBOX 360®.

Only possible with the power of the 360 :p
More or less likely be a download only thing for a bit similar to other DD media content on the systems.

Agnates

Banned
(note how the gameplay video on the 360 MHFO site is nowhere near the benchmark's quality, but much like the video I linked in the post at the top)

Aokage

shintoki said:
Includes? Does that mean if I have Gold it is free or comes with Gold if I pay for the monthly fee?

Only possible with the power of the 360 :p

Remains to be seen what happens to people who already have Gold, but Silver members will be upgraded to Gold status as a bonus perk of paying the MHF monthly fee.

AstroMan

Banned
onemic said:
Hasn't capcom learned from others that MMO's on the 360 simply don't work? Couple that with releasing the game only in Japan, where the 360 is virtually non-existent, really makes me wonder what the execs at capcom must have been smoking when they thought they would make decent revenue off this.

Even Monster hunter online for PC doesn't make much sense when you factor in the fact that the PC market for games other than date sims are pretty low.

Yeah man, after the countless failures of MMOs on the Xbox 360 this is a HUGE mistake.

Oh wait.

I wouldn't doubt this game seeing a bonus in revenue from the Xbox 360 release. Plus I'm sure they didn't use up too many resources porting this to the 360.

If this ever makes it over to the States, I'll pick up an Xbox 360 and check it out. Always wanted to play a monster Hunter game.

godhandiscen

Agnates said:
(note how the gameplay video on the 360 MHFO site is nowhere near the benchmark's quality, but much like the video I linked in the post at the top)
Well, it looks ok for an MMO, and it looks better than the Wii version though.

AstroMan said:
If this ever makes it over to the States, I'll pick up an Xbox 360 and check it out. Always wanted to play a monster Hunter game.

Or... you could...get the one that has no subscription required and is coming out in America in April, but hey, your call :lol

godhandiscen said:
Well, it looks ok for an MMO, and it looks better than the Wii version though.

360 trailer looks nowhere near the PC Benchmark levels. And you still only quest with 3 other plays so no, it still looks like a PS2 game up-rezzed on an HD console.

Jonnyram

john tv said:
...Why do people keep calling it an MMO?
Well, it's more an MO, but the term isn't used much.
I didn't realise that MHF has 4 vs 4 quests.

Is there any public info about what's coming in Season 8.0 yet?
The game is currently only on 7.0 isn't it?

AstroMan

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Or... you could...get the one that has no subscription required and is coming in April, but hey, your call :lol

Yeah, no thanks on that one. I'd rather wait it out for a stateside release of this or another MH game for the PlayStation 3 and/or Xbox 360.

Billen

Banned
I want MH on any console that can handle it, aside from the PSP version I have already been playing. Europe would want this. Pweez?

godhandiscen

SecretBonusPoint said:
360 trailer looks nowhere near the PC Benchmark levels. And you still only quest with 3 other plays so no, it still looks like a PS2 game up-rezzed on an HD console.
It still looks better than Tri from the videos I have seen. I will pick up Tri though, since chances are MHOF isn't making it to America.

Billen said:
I want MH on any console that can handle it, aside from the PSP version I have already been playing. Europe would want this. Pweez?

What about... Monster Hunter 3? Seriously, have people forgotten about that game? :lol

godhandiscen said:
It still looks better than Tri from the videos I have seen. I will pick up Tri though, since chances are MHOF isn't making it to America.

Err... it's less jaggy but textures, geometry and the lighting look better in Tri.

Top Bottom