• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

lljride

Oh shit, that's awesome news about the PS3 patch! I played through it on Normal already, load times and all, but I sort of set it aside before I started a Hard run and went on to other games. If the patch works well that'll give me some motivation to go back and wrap up everything I missed the first time.

Neckbeard

Is it me, or is Alfheim #12 the single most frustrating gaming experience anyone else has ever had? It certainly feels that way for me. I have played it for 2 hours, and I am way too stubborn to skip it :D

Is there an item or something critical that I'm missing if I am playing it on my first (normal) playthrough.

JEKKI

omg!! My new frustration... Kinship!!!

Not the enemy itself, that's the easy part...

It's the got damn camera!!! omg like u kill one no problem, then as u r trying to lock on to the next one u end up getting hit from directions u didn't even kno existed!!

How the heck do u guess parry in a direction u don't kno exists??

Either that or u try dodging, only to realize u dodged into a river of missiles that were coming from offscreen...

Also, I hate fighting enemies on sum wierd Mario galaxy sphere... bad camera there too...

Ataturk

Neckbeard said:
Is it me, or is Alfheim #12 the single most frustrating gaming experience anyone else has ever had? It certainly feels that way for me. I have played it for 2 hours, and I am way too stubborn to skip it :D

Is there an item or something critical that I'm missing if I am playing it on my first (normal) playthrough.
Yeah, that's the one that stopped me in my tracks, I've given up on them, for now at least.

You probably don't have the Durga (claws) or any of the accessories on your 1st playthrough, so I'd wait for those.

JEKKI

is alfheim 12 a torture attack challenge??

dood the torture attack alfheims are hella easy

jus sit there taunting all day, you gain magic during taunt.

Then when u get combo, do pppkkk, that combo is your meter builder

edgefusion

So maybe I'm lttp to the part on this one but the PS3 patch is out. Not tried installing it yet (didn't see an option to) but the little bit of loading before you collect item is now gone. So thank god for that. Still loads when you pause though.

edgefusion said:
So maybe I'm lttp to the part on this one but the PS3 patch is out. Not tried installing it yet (didn't see an option to) but the little bit of loading before you collect item is now gone. So thank god for that. Still loads when you pause though.

If you didn't manually install it through the menu then I don't think your game is patched. Apparently, it's a JP patch as well. Not sure if that matters or not, but I doubt the NA version will be patched at the same time. I am sure those load pauses are gone if patched, that's kind of the whole point.

edgefusion

AlbertWeskerUmbrella said:
If you didn't manually install it through the menu then I don't think your game is patched. Apparently, it's a JP patch as well. Not sure if that matters or not, but I doubt the NA version will be patched at the same time. I am sure those load pauses are gone if patched, that's kind of the whole point.

There were a few speed improvements without installing it. Anyway I just went through the relatively lengthy (even for PS3) install process, can't say it's made a massive difference but if you have nearly 4.5 gigs of space then you may as well.

nodish2

Banned
edgefusion said:
There were a few speed improvements without installing it. Anyway I just went through the relatively lengthy (even for PS3) install process, can't say it's made a massive difference but if you have nearly 4.5 gigs of space then you may as well.

Are you talking about the Japanese version? Because I just started the game and there was no update.

thundr51

Has anyone manage to finish a run through with Jeanne? I swear it's almost a different game since you can't dodge/wt everything. Does anyone know if you can still unlock the different costumes with Jeanne?

edgefusion

nodish2 said:
Are you talking about the Japanese version? Because I just started the game and there was no update.

I'm on the European version, could be that?

Oh and the update was just over 160mb for anyone interested.

Nemesis_

thundr51 said:
Has anyone manage to finish a run through with Jeanne? I swear it's almost a different game since you can't dodge/wt everything. Does anyone know if you can still unlock the different costumes with Jeanne?

Yeah. She pretty much has all the alternative costumes for Bayonetta except instead of d'Arc she has her White Bayonetta costume.

Neckbeard

JEKKI said:
is alfheim 12 a torture attack challenge??

dood the torture attack alfheims are hella easy

jus sit there taunting all day, you gain magic during taunt.

Then when u get combo, do pppkkk, that combo is your meter builder

You're correct, 12 is the torture attack challenge.

I was wondering if I should bother taunting. My dodging is always a bit on the early side so I commonly dodge directly into attacks, especially on the dogs. I'll definitely try this strategy though. Thanks for the tip!

N30RYU said:
Just got my Platinum... not too hard to get.

How many hours did that take you?

Drame

Just downloaded the patch, I have the JPN version if that matters, and installed the game.

All in all, the patch and install takes about 4.6gigs of space from your hard drive, but it's worth it. So much worth it.

The loading times are a lot quicker now, and I mean a lot. It takes around 15 seconds to continue your game from the title screen, while it used to take like 30ish seconds before.

Also, the loading times for changing equipment and so on, are ridiculously fast compared what it used to be. You'll be pretty much instantly in the menu after you press select. And the annoying loading times when picking up an item are gone.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait to see how the install affected the loading times. So I wasn't able to test the game only with the patch.

rezuth

Drame said:
Just downloaded the patch, I have the JPN version if that matters, and installed the game.

All in all, the patch and install takes about 4.6gigs of space from your hard drive, but it's worth it. So much worth it.

The loading times are a lot quicker now, and I mean a lot. It takes around 15 seconds to continue your game from the title screen, while it used to take like 30ish seconds before.

Also, the loading times for changing equipment and so on, are ridiculously fast compared what it used to be. You'll be pretty much instantly in the menu after you press select. And the annoying loading times when picking up an item are gone.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait to see how the install affected the loading times. So I wasn't able to test the game only with the patch.
The game had to load when you picked up an item? Seriously? :lol :lol :lol
The PS3 version sounds like a disaster.

rezuth said:
The game had to load when you picked up an item? Seriously? :lol :lol :lol
The PS3 version sounds like a disaster.

It was the Blu-Ray that was the problem, the PS3's read speed on Blu-Ray is much slower than the read on a DVD, there's much more space to get through on a Blu-Ray after all. Every PS3 game that I own (barring FIFA 10) has an install requirement or at least an option (Valkyria Chronicles benefits massively from it) because of this and it mystifies me why Sega overlooked that little issue in the first place. The PS3 version is otherwise fine.

54-46!

Dark Machine said:
It was the Blu-Ray that was the problem, the PS3's read speed on Blu-Ray is much slower than the read on a DVD, there's much more space to get through on a Blu-Ray after all. Every PS3 game that I own (barring FIFA 10) has an install requirement or at least an option (Valkyria Chronicles benefits massively from it) because of this and it mystifies me why Sega overlooked that little issue in the first place. The PS3 version is otherwise fine.
What about Uncharted 2? no install and no load times. Also, the PS3 version isn't fine, framerate is still shit.

54-46! said:
What about Uncharted 2? no install and no load times. Also, the PS3 version isn't fine, framerate is still shit.

Uncharted 2 I don't have so i can't comment, though Naughty Dog are an awesome developer so they probably did some cool voodoo whatever. PS3 version is fine, I've played through the Xbox version and it suffers from framerate and tearing just as much. Blame Platinum for shoddy coding if you want. The only thing about the PS3 version that I found was the darker colours and less contrast. Which I didn't mind in the least.

NIN90

54-46! said:

Did you somehow miss the massive loading after booting up the game?

BeeDog

Alright, finished the Prologue minutes ago, this game is completely insane :lol . The cutscene cheese is hilarious, but the abundance of tit/vag shots is a bit silly. :p The framerate actually didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, maybe I've outgrown the platform comparisons (thank you age!); I just hope it won't get much worse later on. The one thing that bothered me though was the length of the damn cutscenes; good lord, do they get much longer as the game progresses, or are they just long in this very early part of the game?

RuGalz

That's rather interesting if it is Sony who released the patch. If it wasn't for my friend picking up the game for my birthday I was going to boycott it despite how much I loved it at E3. As much as I love the game, effff PG and Sega if they pull this shit again.

gogogow

Dark Machine said:
Uncharted 2 I don't have so i can't comment, though Naughty Dog are an awesome developer so they probably did some cool voodoo whatever. PS3 version is fine, I've played through the Xbox version and it suffers from framerate and tearing just as much. Blame Platinum for shoddy coding if you want. The only thing about the PS3 version that I found was the darker colours and less contrast. Which I didn't mind in the least.
Yes, the 360 version also suffers from framerate and tearing problems, but most of the time the framerate is around 50-60 fps during gameplay. While the PS3 version is no where near that. In some scenes, like the clocktower scene, the PS3 version is running half the framerate and lower. It even goes as low as 16fps when using climax and/or during cutscenes. And not to mention the much lower res textures and missing shader effects. Not trolling the PS3. I own the PS3 since launch and is a fantastic console. I bought the 360 solely for Bayonetta, while I did pick up quite a few other exclusives too.

canova said:
I can just imagine Sony devs opened up Sega's code and said 'what a piece of junk these guys wrote' :lol
But should we blame Sega? Without Sega, the PS3 won't even have Bayonetta. They had to create an engine from scratch to port the 360 codes.

edgefusion

BeeDog said:
or are they just long in this very early part of the game?

They drop in length a bit for the bulk of the game but towards the end they get longer again. It does have surprisingly lengthy cutscenes, but they are terribly awesome.

Canova

Banned
gogogow said:
But should we blame Sega? Without Sega, the PS3 won't even have Bayonetta. They had to create an engine from scratch to port the 360 codes.

I don't think it worked that way. Platinum contracted Sega to port the game. So it's Platinum's decision. Sega is just a middle-contractor who did really shitty work

see5harp

akachan ningen said:
Like the camera, right?

Camera, especially during those horrible vehicle and flight sequences, along with some especially poor storytelling, and some major framerate issues, even on 360. I love that you can replay missions though, that's a great feature for a gameplay driven experience.

gogogow

canova said:
I don't think it worked that way. Platinum contracted Sega to port the game. So it's Platinum's decision. Sega is just a middle-contractor who did really shitty work
Do you have a link or something? Because I thought it was the same as Valve - EA with Half Life 2.
Valve: Thanks for being the publisher, but we are not doing a PS3 port. If you want to do it, go ahead, here are the 360 codes.
EA: Okay, we'll do it ourselves.

I don't think P* "contracted" Sega. Sega picked up all of P* games to be the publisher and demanded/requested Bayonetta to be ported to the PS3 also, but since P* isn't big all they could do is handing all the data and assets to Sega to do the porting and helped "oversee" the PS3 porting process.

Canova

Banned
gogogow said:
Do you have a link or something? Because I thought it was the same as Valve - EA with Half Life 2.
Valve: Thanks for being the publisher, but we are not doing a PS3 port. If you want to do it, go ahead, here are the 360 codes.
EA: Okay, we'll do it ourselves.

So does Sega own the right to Bayonetta? I didn't know that, I thought it's Platinum IP

gogogow

canova said:
So does Sega own the right to Bayonetta? I didn't know that, I thought it's Platinum IP
I checked the back of the box and it says "Sega, the Sega logo and Bayonetta are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation. Developed by PlatinumGames Inc."

But I wouldn't know why that would matter anyway.

Top Bottom