• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Shito

canova said:
So does Sega own the right to Bayonetta? I didn't know that, I thought it's Platinum IP
Yup, read somewhere that Sega does in fact own the IP.
If we want a legit sequel, we should start praying those two stay in good terms until then!

NIN90 said:
Did you somehow miss the massive loading after booting up the game?
U2 massive loading when booting up the game is probably shorter than what the loadings between Bayonetta's chapters used to be before the patch.
So, yeah, massive... ^^

Canova

Banned
gogogow said:
I checked the back of the box and it says "Sega, the Sega logo and Bayonetta are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation. Developed by PlatinumGames Inc."

But I wouldn't know why that would matter anyway.

Well if Platinum owns the right, I imagine they would have more saying on where their game is going, or even what publisher or contractor.

but looks like Sega actually contracted P* to come out with a new IP. Sega finances and owns the right.

or it could be Kamiya had an idea, but had no money to start his own company, so he sold the idea to Sega who agreed to finance the game

anyway...so I guess yeah it's Sega's decision all along

gogogow

Shito said:
U2 massive loading when booting up the game is probably shorter than what the loadings between Bayonetta's chapters used to be before the patch.
So, yeah, massive... ^^
So how long does it need to load when you start a new chapter pre- and post patch?

twenty1

Banned
canova said:
Well if Platinum owns the right, I imagine they would have more saying on where their game is going, or even what publisher or contractor.

but looks like Sega actually contracted P* to come out with a new IP. Sega finances and owns the right.

or it could be Kamiya had an idea, but had no money to start his own company, so he sold the idea to Sega who agreed to finance the game

anyway...so I guess yeah it's Sega's decision all along

This.

canova said:
So does Sega own the right to Bayonetta? I didn't know that, I thought it's Platinum IP

It's like with Capcom - Clover Studios over Okami I would think, Sega bought the rights to publish the IP. Therefore Sega now owns the Bayonetta IP just like Capcom owns the Okami IP. Unless there's a stipulation in the contracts saying Sega only owns the rights to this particular game and not any future iterations. We'd need said contracts to find out.

And @gogogow: Got to say I don't have a problem with the PS3's framerates. Then again without playing them side by side I find it difficult to tell the two versions apart excepting the colours. I've just installed the game on the HDD and it's helped the rate in my opinion, and the load times are virtually non-existent for me now, so great improvements there. I couldn't afford a 360 even if I wanted one let alone for the sake of one game. Just not that hardcore :D (My experience of Bayonetta on the 360 comes from a friends' copy)

Sega did a decent job with the port I think though if the patch has come from Sony then great for them for listening to people's opinions. My real disappointment is reserved for Platinum who felt they were too busy to spare a few programmers for an in house PS3 port. I must say it was a surprise to me that a Japanese company would develop exclusively for the 360, knowing it'd tank in their homeland. I suspect lots of money from MS being involved somehow there. ;) Meh, me and my pet theories...It's a great game whatever you play it on in my opinion.

How does the patched PS3 version compare with the 360 version in terms of loading times. I may get this for the PS3 if they are the same.

gogogow

Dark Machine said:
Sega did a decent job with the port I think though if the patch has come from Sony then great for them for listening to people's opinions. My real disappointment is reserved for Platinum who felt they were too busy to spare a few programmers for an in house PS3 port. I must say it was a surprise to me that a Japanese company would develop exclusively for the 360, knowing it'd tank in their homeland. I suspect lots of money from MS being involved somehow there. ;) Meh, me and my pet theories...It's a great game whatever you play it on in my opinion.
I highly doubt MS moneyhatted this game, since it's multiplatform and published by SEGA.
I don't think you should blame P*. They probably only bought 360 dev kits, since the PS3 dev kits are more expensive and is just more difficult to program for. Since SEGA was porting the game to the PS3, P* had nothing to worry about. SEGA also did a great job with the marketing campaign in Japan. Posters were everwhere, on buildings, metrostation, on the walls, various TV commercials etc.

I'm sure people can also enjoy the PS3 version, because it's a really great game and after the patch it should be better with less loading.

Drame said:
30ish seconds before patch. With the patch and game installed, around 15 seconds.
Sounds good if you only have a PS3. Quite the improvement. Though I think the 360 version is still shorter with the loading times.

lucablight said:
How does the patched PS3 version compare with the 360 version in terms of loading times. I may get this for the PS3 if they are the same.
There's no reason to not get the 360 version if you have both consoles. Maybe you prefer the controller?

Loving the PS3 install difference. I'd say up to par with the 360 version in load times at least.
A lot more motivated to complete Hard and Climax modes now and go for Pure Plat runs. :D

Also, I'm pretty sure ALL PS3 regions get the patch at the same time when a patch is released. At least it seems so in this case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Played with the patch and install. Load times are as short as some of the 360 vids I have seen (saying this without using a timer). Start menu is virtually instantaneous as well as select menu. Will the framerate whores still bitch? Yes, but at least the load times are fixed.

Peff

My real disappointment is reserved for Platinum who felt they were too busy to spare a few programmers for an in house PS3 port.

But they were, that's why there's some recycling which the great design makes less noticeable and why many cutscenes are still pictures.

After watching some of the combo vids, I've come up with an infinite combo that works on medium sized enemies like ardor. Its done with the katana:

PPKP (launch), jump and do afterburner kick, PX4, do afterburner kick diagnal down and towards the enemy, Px4, afterburner kick diagnal down and toward the enemy, Px4, repeat till dead.

The install seems to have also corrected a "bug" in the PS3 version: when you previously went to the Costume Select screen, the picture/model of the costumes would not appear. You could scroll as much as you want through costumes and none appeared.
Now they do.

Also is it just me or is the font for the "Torture Attack" prompt changed?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dark Machine said:
My real disappointment is reserved for Platinum who felt they were too busy to spare a few programmers for an in house PS3 port.
They are not a very big studio, and it takes a lot more than "a few programmers" to get something ported over to the PS3.

XiaNaphryz

Browsing around the web, initial impressions of the patch seem pretty positive.

Now if only we can get the boycotters to finally pick up the Bayonetta goodness. :p

54-46!

XiaNaphryz said:
Browsing around the web, initial impressions of the patch seem pretty positive.

Now if only we can get the boycotters to finally pick up the Bayonetta goodness. :p
Not until they release a second patch that fixes the framerate :lol

XiaNaphryz

54-46! said:
Some people swear they see some framerate improvement post-patch in certain areas, but I'm not sure if they're serious or not yet. :lol

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I picked up Bayonetta a couple of nights ago. Looking forward to playing it. I'm sure this is what the doctor ordered.

So how long is a single playthrough? Yea yea, totally not what the game is about, I know, but I'm rushed at the moment and got this game mostly on accident.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
rallaren said:
I believe so. Thanks for posting it again! :) Great song for a great game.
Not really into hip/hop but I am a HUGE fan of Switchblade Symphony and it's so awesome to hear Tina Root, who used to be the lead singer of the band, in this song.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Last night I farmed the chapter vii boss using the Durga exploit until I had enough halos to purchase the Bracelet of Time, at which point I started using the Kilgore exploit on the chapter ii boss.
I went for three sessions of that until I wearied of it, and went from a few thousand halos to 1.5 million, to 6 million, to 14 million. It's so fucking cheap, it's awesome.
Going to do one last time run tonight to bump me over 20 million, which should be all I need to finish cheesing my way to the rest of the unlockables!

Son of Godzilla said:
So how long is a single playthrough? Yea yea, totally not what the game is about, I know, but I'm rushed at the moment and got this game mostly on accident.

Between 9-12 hours.

It really depends on the player though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
edgefusion said:
They drop in length a bit for the bulk of the game but towards the end they get longer again. It does have surprisingly lengthy cutscenes, but they are terribly awesome.

what?

i absolutely love this game - it appeals to my need for engaging and challenging combat, pick up and playability, short levels w/ lots of checkpoints (easy to play for a few minutes, make progress and turn off)

but i don't understand the love for the cutscenes/character art/music... i feel like it's supposed to be intentionally over the top bad?

Mejilan said:
Last night I farmed the chapter vii boss using the Durga exploit until I had enough halos to purchase the Bracelet of Time, at which point I started using the Kilgore exploit on the chapter ii boss.
I went for three sessions of that until I wearied of it, and went from a few thousand halos to 1.5 million, to 6 million, to 14 million. It's so fucking cheap, it's awesome.
Going to do one last time run tonight to bump me over 20 million, which should be all I need to finish cheesing my way to the rest of the unlockables!
What are these exploits again?

Mejilan

Chapter VII boss fight:
Equip lightning Durgas to your fists, and the Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light accessories.

Start fight. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, etc., ... profit. You should be able to manage 1.5 million or so with every fight (which shouldn't last you more than 6 minutes).

Chapter II boss fight:
Before entering the cathedral to fight the dragon head, equip the Bracelet of Time and Gaze of Despair accessories. For weapons, have Set A with something weak on your fists (such as the Scarborough Fair guns), and lightning Durgas on your feet. For Set B, equip something like the Shuraba in your hands, and the Lt. Kilgore guns on your feet. Go in with max magic (preferably, all 24 orbs full), run up to the dragon's head, and hold down the button that activates the Bracelet of Time's Witch Time effect. Keep that held for the entire fight.

Then, while on Set A, initiate the Punch, Punch, Punch, Punch, (rapid tap) Kick combo and as soon as the lightning Durga Chun-Li style kicks start, tap the button to switch to Set B. Instead of regular lightning kicks, you'll get a barrage of rockets from the Lt. Kilgores equipped to your feet in Set B. It'll rack up HUGE combo points and multipliers. Once it's done, quickly switch back to Set A, and restart the PPP (tap) K combo and switch to Set B once the kicks initiate.

With a near constant barrage of linked rockets (thanks to the Witch Time), you'll quickly amass a 9999 x9.9 scoring rhythm, and by the time you finish the fight (don't whiff the QTE at the end of the fight), you should walk out of chapter ii with 7-15 million halos per run (each run taking about 10-15 minutes). This one's a bit tougher to do, but once you practice it a few times, it's WAY more efficient than the easier to do chapter VII exploit.

kinggroin

Banned
Finished the game on the easiest setting (married with kids) and it was a blast! It pretty much tickles my videogame fancy in all the right places (japaneesy cheesy presentation, over-the-top action, gratuitous T&A, great soundtrack, EXCELLENT character designs and art direction, and deep gameplay).

Gonna play through again on a harder difficulty when I have the time, but so far it's an early contender for my personal GOTY. Never thought I'd have "Fly Me to the Moon" stuck in my head after playing an action videogame :lol

XiaNaphryz

Mejilan said:
Chapter VII boss fight:
Equip lightning Durgas to your fists, and the Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light accessories.

Start fight. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, etc., ... profit.
Easier if you spam P while in the air for the first parts of the fight (see video link I posted).

Mejilan

XiaNaphryz said:
Easier if you spam P while in the air for the first parts of the fight (see video link I posted).

I alternated between both methods and always wound up with nearly identical scores/times/halos. Ultimately, jumping just injects another button press into the formula.

kinggroin said:
Finished the game on the easiest setting (married with kids) and it was a blast! It pretty much tickles my videogame fancy in all the right places (japaneesy cheesy presentation, over-the-top action, gratuitous T&A, great soundtrack, EXCELLENT character designs and art direction, and deep gameplay).

Gonna play through again on a harder difficulty when I have the time, but so far it's an early contender for my personal GOTY. Never thought I'd have "Fly Me to the Moon" stuck in my head after playing an action videogame :lol

No prob with that. Play the game how you want it. I like playing on normal, some play on hard. That's why they have different difficulty settings.

XiaNaphryz said:
Some people swear they see some framerate improvement post-patch in certain areas, but I'm not sure if they're serious or not yet. :lol

Nope. Plays the same, which isn't bad in the majority of cases to begin with.

54-46! said:

Not sure if this is possible (I just don't have the expertise to say so). That being said, we've seen sloppy games with nearly unplayable netcode be resurrected via patch, i.e. Socom Confrontation, Warhawk. Bayonetta is not in that dire straights, but a little optimization wouldn't hurt.

Aretak

Mejilan said:
Chapter VII boss fight:

Start fight. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, etc., ... profit. You should be able to manage 1.5 million or so with every fight (which shouldn't last you more than 6 minutes).
It's worth noting that this method is far less effective in the PS3 version. The Durgas' WW hits less times, meaning you can't build up anything like as big a combo. The best I've ever got from it was around 500k on the PS3.

Kilgore glitch method works fine though.

Chamber said:
Thank God for the patch. So happy I can pause the game now. :lol

Well, you could have just pressed the PS button for a very quick pause. Goes in and out of the game seamlessly, still faster than the patched loading.

Aretak said:
It's worth noting that this method is far less effective in the PS3 version. The Durgas' WW hits less times, meaning you can't build up anything like as big a combo. The best I've ever got from it was around 500k on the PS3.

Kilgore glitch method works fine though.

Does anyone know exactly why this is? I've been trying to figure it out...I mean the game is the same on both consoles except for technical issues...I don't get it.

BaronLundi said:
Here are the ones I rembember that consume magic :

- Instant wicked weaves (< >P and <>K after purchasing the techniques) ;
- Umbran spear technique (double Tap RB/R1) ;
- witch time on demand (with bracelet of time) ;
- witch time activation when hit (with selene's light)

I heard somewhere that you have to beat the game in less than 3 hours to get it, can you beat it on easy or very easy to get the bracelet ?

Unregistered007 said:
I heard somewhere that you have to beat the game in less than 3 hours to get it, can you beat it on easy or very easy to get the bracelet ?

Nope. And it's only your overall played time that counts. You can look at play history for normal mode and see your total play time for individual chapters as well as overall. You can then replay levels to get better times. You'd be surprised how much you can run past :lol

Is it true that wearing (or is it simply using the phone "cheat" to unlock it?) the Climax Ring disables your chapter scores from registering and be saved?

Don

The new patch is great. I just played through the first few chapters again with the patch installed and it made playing through those chapters a lot more enjoyable without the game having to load so much. No more stupid load times when picking up items and the loads between chapters are a lot quicker too.

Top Bottom