• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

knavish

^ Aw, thanks! According to your tips and a few vids I've checked on YT I wasn't making any huge mistakes at how I'm approaching corners or taking lines, it seems; I'm just not doing them fast/good enough with One-77 ten times in a row.

"Git gud" would've been an appropriate advice for me, in other words. :)

haha I did that event for like an hour so I guess I learnt the course for that car. First couple of attempts i got corner penalties everywhere pushing to see where the boundaries of the track were. I was cautious on my final run first couple of laps (especially at the hairpin and chicane) but you can really push that Aston more than you think.

Ok, I wanted to know how the Driveclub Hardcore mode braking distance compares to other games and came up with the idea to compare the time it takes to decelerate from 200km/h to 0km/h. To do that I took video footage and looked up the exact frames.
THEN I saw "hey, you got the speed of this car at any given time of the braking... what if you made a graph of those with lots of values taken from the video? The area under the graph would be braking distance!". So that's what I did here, just that I also used an interpolation algorithm from Mathematica and did a numerical integration on it, to have a very precise idea of the area under the deceleration-speed curve.

I used the Pagani Huayra in every game. Here are the results:
Driveclubnormal.png

Driveclubhardcore.png

Forza6.png

pCARS.png

GT6.png

Sidenotes:
- I tried to find a straight that was even in Japan, but the road in Driveclub might have had a very minor inclination/unevenness, unlike in Monza or the Forza drag strip where the values for the other games where taken. This has nothing to do with the dents in the speed curve on the last meters.
- In GT6 the standard tyre for the Huayra [sports hard] seems a little weak; the same tyre is used in your usual sport saloons in the game. pCARS has the outstanding Pirelli Trofeo on the car. Forza doesn't name the tyre brands, but assigns different tyre compound values to every car in stock configuration.
- Tyres were warmed up, no ABS was used, except in GT6, where I went for ABS on the lowest possible setting (1/10), because my threshold braking is terrible in that game. In Forza and pCARS I went for a lower brake pressure in the setup and then pushed the pedal to the metal. Driveclub automatically doesn't lock up the brakes in 100% input as long as you're not trying to steer or are going downhill.
- I might add the last 2 Grid games and Assetto Corsa in late April.

knavish

Ok, I wanted to know how the Driveclub Hardcore mode braking distance compares to other games and came up with the idea to compare the time it takes to decelerate from 200km/h to 0km/h. To do that I took video footage and looked up the exact frames.
THEN I saw "hey, you got the speed of this car at any given time of the braking... what if you made a graph of those with lots of values taken from the video? The area under the graph would be braking distance!". So that's what I did here, just that I also used an interpolation algorithm from Mathematica and did a numerical integration on it, to have a very precise idea of the area under the deceleration-speed curve.

Driveclubnormal.png

Driveclubhardcore.png

Forza6.png

pCARS.png

GT6.png

Sidenotes:
- I tried to find a straight that was even in Japan, but the road in Driveclub might have had a very minor inclination/unevenness, unlike in Monza or the Forza drag strip where the values for the other games where taken. This has nothing to do with the dents in the speed curve on the last meters.
- In GT6 the standard tyre for the Huayra [sports hard] seems a little weak; the same tyre is used in your usual sport saloons in the game. pCARS has the outstanding Pirelli Trofeo on the car. Forza doesn't name the tyre brands, but assigns different tyre compound values to every car in stock configuration.
- Tyres were warmed up, no ABS was used, except in GT6, where I went for ABS on the lowest possible setting (1/10), because my threshold braking is terrible in that game. In Forza and pCARS I went for a lower brake pressure in the setup and then pushed the pedal to the metal. Driveclub automatically doesn't lock up the brakes in 100% input as long as you're not trying to steer or are going downhill.

Arent't you Papo?

Tbh, it's too much over analysing there.

It's a different game mode we got for free, some will like it... Some won't!

Like they say, you can't please all the people all of the time.

krioto

What are everyone's thoughts on the new tracks?

I really like them, and enjoy that they are relatively short - you can just keep lapping them for ages. I like the elevation changes, and especially the hairpin crescent on Old Town 3, as well as the surface-level bumps etc going over the gutters.

I also like that obviously the town was aware that there would be street racing happening (i.e. barriers erected, roads closed etc), yet there are some absent-minded residents who still put out both their garbage and re-cycling bins for pick up.

Shaneus

What are everyone's thoughts on the new tracks?

I really like them, and enjoy that they are relatively short - you can just keep lapping them for ages. I like the elevation changes, and especially the hairpin crescent on Old Town 3, as well as the surface-level bumps etc going over the gutters.

I also like that obviously the town was aware that there would be street racing happening (i.e. barriers erected, roads closed etc), yet there are some absent-minded residents who still put out both their garbage and re-cycling bins for pick up.
I really like them, but was hoping they'd be a bit narrower:
KalHphrl.jpg
AsOMqeLl.jpg

gCtkM8ml.jpg
uDdLSS9l.jpg

While we're here, let's just bask in the level of detail PGR4 had ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO:

But... But... It makes no sense. It's a village/town in Scottland. It cannot have close to SIX lanes PLUS bicycle road PLUS sidewalk. Thete should be two lanes with cars parking on the sidewalk to make it even more narrow.

I've never been to Edinburgh and you're probably half joking, but it seems to have some pretty wide streets in parts, if you ignore the parking spaces in the second pic.

Arguably the track name might not be entirely accurate, as it seems like you're driving on the edge of the city and old towns are usually more in the center (at least in my meager experience), so the actual old town might be the inaccessible part of the map below the track, but then again i'm probably just speaking out of my ass. :)

In the end it's at least partly artistic license and they chose to make the roads a bit wider because a lot of people weren't happy with the more narrow original tracks. Do you guys still remember "corridor racing"? Now that's a blast from the past! :D Of course you can never make everyone happy and i still remember some heated debates about the Japanese tracks being too wide, but can you imagine what a mess Nakasendo would be with a full grid, if it was as narrow as something out of Initial D?

Comparison.png

Had a quick scan on Google Earth at lunchtime, looks like the cliffs in the distance are Salisbury Crags but obviously the other details are completely different. I was looking for the crescent section but there's quite a few in the area.

Have you ever noticed or remembered that during Sonys E3 Conference 2014 four of Driveclubs music tracks were played? I'm not unitl i rewatched the show. Made a small compilation of these 5 moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN_o9ujgfak&feature=youtu.be

Nice find, i would have never remembered that. :)

Guys, is the current endurance race challenge also part of the ongoing GAF rally, or is it standalone? I'm a bit busy lately and since a single run takes quite a while, i'm not sure how much time i can dedicate to putting in a decent attempt. If it's not part of the rally, i'll do a quick run or two and leave it at that.

Nice find, i would have never remembered that. :)

Guys, is the current endurance race challenge also part of the ongoing GAF rally, or is it standalone? I'm a bit busy lately and since a single run takes quite a while, i'm not sure how much time i can dedicate to putting in a decent attempt. If it's not part of the rally, i'll do a quick run or two and leave it at that.

No, I chucked that into the mix Monday past as a taster. :)

So I've 100% all but two tours in the season pass, I've 100% the main tour and the Bikes tours. How have I not unlocked the "Credit Where It's Due" trophy yet?

Edit- just 100% every tour. It's crazy how much playtime you have to put in to get that trophy. It looks like I'll have to do another 100-200 events :/

Driveclubnormal.png

Driveclubhardcore.png

Forza6.png

pCARS.png

GT6.png

Sidenotes:

You provided this information but not a conclusion or opinion. Unless my interpretation of you data is incorrect, hardcore mode in Driveclub is actually a step too far in terms of how it represents breaking? That's a little awkward, as I'm not certain that was what anyone wanted either.

Seeing if this pattern is consistent across a couple of cars would be neat too.

Arondight

You provided this information but not a conclusion or opinion. Unless my interpretation of you data is incorrect, hardcore mode in Driveclub is actually a step too far in terms of how it represents breaking? That's a little awkward, as I'm not certain that was what anyone wanted either.

I think the braking is compensated by the fact of how fast and easy it is to make a corner in HC DC. I think it's less to do with step too far but rather just being a different driving model. Having a braking distance similar to PC would result in even more abnormal times as you would break much later resulting in faster times. That's kind of how I see it with the graphs shown.

Remember that this is an Arcade/Sim mash-up guys. They're not taking a 30cm Ruler to Princes Street to figure out the tracks.

No you're right, and also I think they have to change places so you don't get people trying to reproduce the races on the real life roads. I just found it interesting to find the cliffs from the game (which I hadn't noticed while playing tbh). I'm sure there will be very similar pieces to other parts of the track that they stitched together to form a meaningful circuit. Width wise, I prefer the narrower twisty tracks to the more wide open ones but I'm sure the wide tracks work better online. I think this is also something Evo have probably learnt, haven't all the later released tracks been wider than the initial selection?

I didn't offer an interpretation, because ultimately neither my conclusion or if it's harder or easier or more or less realistic than other games, as long as it's fun to you personally. For me personanally DC's normal driving model was never fun, probably because my brain told me "this isn't an arcade game" because of how it looks, how detailed the cars are modeled and how realistic some parts of DC's physics are - and then especially the everything about braking and crashing is a total mismatch. The braking-understeer of the hardcore mode makes the game a lot more fun for me - overdone stopping distance or not, I don't have that mismatch-feeling anymore. I just need adjusted lap-times or a new star-system just for hardcore mode and I'm set.

Now, about the interpretation: You are right, my data suggests that Driveclub has a longer braking distance than the actual racing sims(or at least sim-heavy "sim-cades"). I don't want to test more cars because taking the video and reading the data points takes quite some time, but there could be many reasons why DC's braking distance is longer without meaning that it's overdone or "harder than reality". GT6 has a 12% longer braking distance than Forza and pCARS, probably because it puts a set of tyres on the car that Pagani would on the car for road use, while pCARS Pirelli Trofeo is a very expensive road-legal tyre that is extremely soft and weared down after a few hard laps. DC has only a 5% longer braking distance than GT6, which could be due to differences in track and tyre temperature. It could also be different active aero modeling as the Pagani Huayra deploys its flaps under braking. Road evenness could play a role, as could the too soft on the tyres braking assist (100% brake input doesn't look the tyres even at 20km/h where there is no downforce anymore). There could be good reasons why the braking distance was longer and under the hood hardcore-DC might be just as realistic as the other games.

If I had to guess what it is though..., I'd say there is problem with DC wanting to go too fast. Look at the Speed-curves from 200km/h to 160km/h and compare them to Forza. At very high speeds decelerates just as fast as Forza and pCARS but then decelerates slower and slower, while the other games maintain the pace. DC probably offers somewhat disproportionately higher downforce (front and rear) to stay so steerable and agile at very high speeds, while staying as oversteer-drifty at low speeds.

In case you're really interested, I could do one more and we compare it to real-world braking distance. Pick a car that is in the game and look up the 160-0 deceleration distance and I'll give it a try (or you do it and upload the video, give me the link).

farmerboy

Driveclub sounds are horrendous. Never understood why they get so much praise. Hardcore mode is a step in the right direction but still far from perfect. Still way too much grip for rwd cars.

At this point I don't get why you post here.

Made you click

Evolution. This is what a Ferrari 599 sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdY_tbk9LCA

Not this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jf5KV-F0d4

Driveclub sounds are horrendous. Never understood why they get so much praise. Hardcore mode is a step in the right direction but still far from perfect. Still way too much grip for rwd cars.
One sounds like it was recorded with an onboard mic on a handycam. The other sounds like it was recorded with several professional microphones.

No Love

Banned
One sounds like it was recorded with an onboard mic on a handycam. The other sounds like it was recorded with several professional microphones.

Wait, you're telling me that people are so dumb they can't tell the difference between acoustics recorded with a camera microphone and high quality microphones?

I always laugh when people try to compare exhaust sounds using Youtube videos. Oh dear god, the ignorance. Might as well judge an opera singer on a smartphone mic vs. using a high end recording studio microphone.

Not this...

It's funny you posted this a couple pages back and nobody cared enough to respond and felt the need to post it again. At least it sort of worked this time.

Not this...

Well...now bear with me here as it's as it's a totally out there solution... Maybe bog off playing DC?

Granted, it's a wild and wacky solution but desperate times call for desperate measures!

.....Or maybe we should use a can of this?

tGFLqF6.jpg

If anything, a lot of cars aren't just loud enough.

Then there are things like (F-type Jaguar, maybe not scream like the others but still sounds really good) Renault Alpine and RS and the GT3 AMG Mercedes that really scream at you.

Then again, I drive only in the cockpit cam so I understand that the sounds should be muffled (correct word?) compared to outside / chase cams.

If anything, a lot of cars aren't just loud enough.

Then there are things like (F-type Jaguar, maybe not scream like the others but still sounds really good) Renault Alpine and RS and the GT3 AMG Mercedes that really scream at you.

Then again, I drive only in the cockpit cam so I understand that the sounds should be muffled (correct word?) compared to outside / chase cams.

You can switch to exterior sound for cockpit view in the settings, if you prefer it louder.

Well done to Bouniter in becoming our 6th different winner - thats rocketed you up to 4th place in the standings. SigSwat551's late dash into 2nd secured him 2nd place in the overall chart whilst Ainsz's 3rd place meant he dropped a position in the chart but still closed in on Sirenty in the overall lead. Motorised Mallard closed out the top 5 with his best finish to date.

DCWK6.png

You should have also received your invites for the Week 7 challenge - Let me know if you haven't received yours or if you want to take part and aren't currently on the list.

https://youtu.be/Vw9I4fxUGKs

The time on this vid has already been beaten several times...

Aha those final minutes count just as much. Sigswat took second from me in the last hour. Well done to ff8 with that ridiculous score!

Yeah...didn't play the last three days. Logged in an hour before the challenge ended and noticed i dropped down to 4th. Worked my way up to 2nd (and noticed Ainsz was bettering his score also) but unable to beat ff8's fantastic score. Well done!

NewDust

You should have also received your invites for the Week 7 challenge - Let me know if you haven't received yours or if you want to take part and aren't currently on the list.

You can chalk me up... ID is the same as my GAF. I'm shite, but have loads of time on my hands... certainly next week.

Bouniter

Aha those final minutes count just as much. Sigswat took second from me in the last hour. Well done to ff8 with that ridiculous score!

Well done to Bouniter in becoming our 6th different winner - thats rocketed you up to 4th place in the standings.

Yeah...didn't play the last three days. Logged in an hour before the challenge ended and noticed i dropped down to 4th. Worked my way up to 2nd (and noticed Ainsz was bettering his score also) but unable to beat ff8's fantastic score. Well done!

Wooo! Thanks Guys! I didn't manage to figure out quite how you were all scoring the 1900 points In the final area either, Never managing more than 1750 or so myself, so still points to be had. Also I hadn't looked at everyones levels before this challenge made me feel like a real newbie in comparison .

I do have to ask though. I got the impression the drifting fix was in the last patch did I just get the wrong end of the stick??
(I hope I got the wrong end of the stick)

Top Bottom