• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-WoW players: Is there anything that could bring you back?

LexW

Neo Member
Blizzard's new business model is built around 1 or 2 month subs and 18 month Expansion releases.

Warlords brought people back for two months. They had 10 million Warlords buyers ($50) and subs ($15) for about two months. Then, everyone beat the main campaign and quit again.

I think they're back down to the 4 million sub range?

Their new business model:

1. Faster releasing, but smaller content expansions.
2. They increased the price of the expansions to $50 from $40
3. They now sell Game Time Tokens for people to sell for in-game gold, but they're market-dependent, not static Blizzard store offerings. So, someone has to PAY for the time token with cash before it enters the game for a gold price.
4. Fewer content patches per expansion.

They may as well just go Free 2 Play now and sell cosmetic Transmogs, pets and mounts in the Blizzard store, along with the boosts, transfers, name changes and whatever else they do to make money.

The bolded bit doesn't follow at all from the rest. On the contrary, the non-F2P business model seems to be working for them.

J-Rzez

For those of you out of the loop WoW is a much different looking game from vanilla, it's night and day.

While it changed, the game is still fugly as sin itself. Mix in that it runs like junk from all the bandaids and it's not enjoyable.

Balanced PVP.

Blizzard balance something correctly? Good luck on that. They struggle to balance 3 factions in SC, let alone class based games like this. They neutered the hell out of all the classes to make them all fell and play the same, not special at all, and there was still issues somehow. Now they're doing some changes again, but we'll see how that turns out lol.

While it changed, the game is still fugly as sin itself. Mix in that it runs like junk from all the bandaids and it's not enjoyable.

Blizzard balance something correctly? Good luck on that. They struggle to balance 3 factions in SC, let alone class based games like this. They neutered the hell out of all the classes to make them all fell and play the same, not special at all, and there was still issues somehow. Now they're doing some changes again, but we'll see how that turns out lol.

Balancing PvP in an MMO is way harder than balancing three factions in an RTS, since PvE and PvP work identically in an RTS.

WoW's (and frankly most MMOs) approach to balance while dealing with how different PvE and PvP has always been a problem, and it's a large part of why I prefer it when MMOs just pick one or the other, or opt for very different rules for PvP.

Gibbles17

already did, and had more fun with the game in three short months than i did with my entire cata-warlords retail experience. would still be playing if i wasn't so busy after coming back from overseas

Yep, this is exactly how I feel having toyed around with Nostalrius (private Vanilla server). Definitely worth trying. Runs very well (a few interface glitches here and there that I've seen, fixable by reloading the UI) and has a gigantic population on the PvP server, arguably to a fault as the beginner zones have large groups of lowbies vying for the same quest mobs (think I read the PvE server has a population more akin to the retail servers). Luckily this is offset pretty well by the community itself; found people were regularly insta-inviting others who were waiting on the same spawn and were generally very helpful.

Would definitely recommend to those who want to see if their experience with Vanilla is hinged on nostalgia. Was the most fun I've had with the game since TBC. Seeing /2 filled with LFG/LFM 'X' was all kinds of awesome.

Edit: Thinking about it, not too sure if discussing private servers is allowed, will delete post if I'm breaking rules.

Jospina

Banned
The bolded bit doesn't follow at all from the rest. On the contrary, the non-F2P business model seems to be working for them.

Agreed. 90% of the post discusses the merit of the 2-month sub cycle and then there's a sentence at the end suggesting F2P. That was just random.

TBiddy

The PvE server population is actually very close to what a retail vanilla server had population-wise. The PvP server is very un-vanilla-like because it has about 4-5x the population of what a retail vanilla server had. We're talking ~1,500-3,000 on the PvE server vs 8,000-13,000 on the PvP server versus retail vanilla which had a population cap (aka, after this point you had to wait in a queue) of 2,500 to 3,500.

Really? I always thought there were many more players on each server. It seemed like it, when running around in IF and SW, back in the days.

Really? I always thought there were many more players on each server. It seemed like it, when running around in IF and SW, back in the days.

I'm 95% sure the maximum players online in vanilla was 3,500 or 2,500. I mean, go to Orgrimmar on the Nostalrius PvP server (you can find some YouTube Let's Play videos). I don't remember seeing anywhere near that many people on my server (Malygos) back in live vanilla WoW.

Gonna go ahead and call Kungen a big fucking liar here.

Nobody enjoyed the shit out of farming mats for raid consumables.

Nobody.

They thought it was fun to clear ZG and Onyxia every fucking week while progressing on tier 3 content? They liked farming level for 20 elixirs in Faralas and Hinterlands? They liked farming level 40 blues and greens for nature resist gear while progressing in AQ40? They thought it was fun having to chug mana pots every 2 minutes on clockwork or else you literally can't dps or heal a boss past the first third of any encounter? No, no they fucking didn't.

Nobody.

They thought it was fun to clear ZG and Onyxia every fucking week while progressing on tier 3 content? They liked farming level for 20 elixirs in Faralas and Hinterlands? They liked farming level 40 blues and greens for nature resist gear while progressing in AQ40? They thought it was fun having to chug mana pots every 2 minutes on clockwork or else you literally can't dps or heal a boss past the first third of any encounter? No, no they fucking didn't.

People enjoyed being of the "elite" few that were able to farm enough to complete these high-end raids. It's not that the farming itself was fun, but the reward was relatively very cool and uncommon. Hardly any guilds full-cleared Naxxramas before TBC released, for example. Being one of those guilds was a great feeling.

Oh jesus Kungen just prased Lineage.

Ok, I get where he's coming from, but I also understand why his type of play style is fundamentally incompatible with a game that is expected to actually grow its userbase.

rav

I preordered Legion, however I think this is my last Expansion. Every new expansion to me makes me think this will be the one to hook me again, and each one hooks me for about a month.

And, I find that when I do have an mmo subscription I play it exclusively. I have been favoring single player only games lately, and I'm going to try to support multiplayer only games less from now on.

Reishiki

Banned
People enjoyed being of the "elite" few that were able to farm enough to complete these high-end raids. It's not that the farming itself was fun, but the reward was relatively very cool and uncommon. Hardly any guilds full-cleared Naxxramas before TBC released, for example. Being one of those guilds was a great feeling.

Worked out real well for Wildstar.

Aomber

No. Warlords was my last expansion, asides from the huge flaws the expansion had I realized I just didn't want to bother with the game at all anymore once I got to 100. I think a lot of people have moved away from MMOs in general due to their time constraints.

Nobody.

He's right, but for the wrong reasons. Full disclosure, I've been an MMO developer for almost 8 years, so I'm slightly biased in this opinion because I've been arguing this point for almost a decade and losing to upper management who refuse to do anything but emulate the WoW post-Wrath formula.

Convenience is the antithesis of fun. All of the additions that Blizzard, and other competing game companies, have introduced in the last 6 or 7 years has been to make the game, in fact the entire genre, more convenient to play - chasing larger and larger subscription numbers by removing barriers to entry for literally everything from raiding to PvP to crafting to mega-servers. And every single one of those additions objectively made the game less fun.

But wait? How can you say that things like Dungeon Finder and Mega-Servers objectively make a game less fun?

Because the fun in playing an MMO isn't necessarily in the mechanics. It isn't necessarily in the content. It isn't in any back-of-the-box feature that makes a good marketing blurb. It isn't in raiding or PvP or soloing. The fun in playing an MMO has, in general, actually very little to do with anything the development team creates implicitly for the player. The fun in an MMO ... is it's COMMUNITY. Think back for a few moments to your fondest memories playing any MMO ... go ahead, actually think about it. What is the common denominator amongst probably all of your best memories? The other people playing the game. Your guild. Your friends. Your rivals. People doing dumb things. People doing crazy things. People doing nice things, mean things ... people doing things. Together.

The problem is that WoW, and pretty much every MMO since then, has forgotten that's the main 'fun' that players get out of the game. They forget that while Mega-servers make it easier to get groups for content - it removed the need to form meaningful interactions with people on your server. I don't need to maintain a community presence. I don't need to make friends with people on my server, people I will definitely see again, and again, and again. I don't even really need a guild. And my guild doesn't really need to work together.

(Side note: As an example, in Vanilla and BC, I was known across my server by my main character name. I had open invitations to the top raiding guilds, PvP guilds, and RP guilds. There were literally threads made in the WoW forums about my character (and my wife's) as well as several of our friends. And I knew other characters by name as well. I knew an asshole Nelf Hunter named Tamlin - I still remember that fucker to this day - who I fought with endlessly at Crossroads and Southshore. The fact was that we were basically 'done' with raiding several times, we had completed 'the game' after months and months of grinding, earning our gear and server reputations. And we kept playing because of all the connections to other players we had made. That literally can't happen in today's WoW.)

Kungen was sort-of right in that regard. Vanilla (and most of BC) required huge amounts of effort, within your own server and community, to accomplish anything. There was no Raid Finder, there was no Dungeon Finder, there wasn't even PvP gear, everything took forever to accomplish anything. And you had to accomplish these things with the same group of people - for better or worse.

The problem is that the theme park MMO genre has, quite literally, taken itself to absolute extreme in the sense that literally every activity in the game is now you, by yourself, getting into a line and riding on the ride. And that alone doesn't keep people playing.

Serick

Married Member
He's right, but for the wrong reasons. Full disclosure, I've been an MMO developer for almost 8 years, so I'm slightly biased in this opinion because I've been arguing this point for almost a decade and losing to upper management who refuse to do anything but emulate the WoW post-Wrath formula.

Convenience is the antithesis of fun. All of the additions that Blizzard, and other competing game companies, have introduced in the last 6 or 7 years has been to make the game, in fact the entire genre, more convenient to play - chasing larger and larger subscription numbers by removing barriers to entry for literally everything from raiding to PvP to crafting to mega-servers. And every single one of those additions objectively made the game less fun.

But wait? How can you say that things like Dungeon Finder and Mega-Servers objectively make a game less fun?

Because the fun in playing an MMO isn't necessarily in the mechanics. It isn't necessarily in the content. It isn't in any back-of-the-box feature that makes a good marketing blurb. It isn't in raiding or PvP or soloing. The fun in playing an MMO has, in general, actually very little to do with anything the development team creates implicitly for the player. The fun in an MMO ... is it's COMMUNITY. Think back for a few moments to your fondest memories playing any MMO ... go ahead, actually think about it. What is the common denominator amongst probably all of your best memories? The other people playing the game. Your guild. Your friends. Your rivals. People doing dumb things. People doing crazy things. People doing nice things, mean things ... people doing things. Together.

The problem is that WoW, and pretty much every MMO since then, has forgotten that's the main 'fun' that players get out of the game. They forget that while Mega-servers make it easier to get groups for content - it removed the need to form meaningful interactions with people on your server. I don't need to maintain a community presence. I don't need to make friends with people on my server, people I will definitely see again, and again, and again. I don't even really need a guild. And my guild doesn't really need to work together.

Kungen was sort-of right in that regard. Vanilla (and most of BC) required huge amounts of effort, within your own server and community, to accomplish anything. There was no Raid Finder, there was no Dungeon Finder, there wasn't even PvP gear, everything took forever to accomplish anything. And you had to accomplish these things we the same group of people - for better or worse.

The problem is that the theme park MMO genre has, quite literally, taken itself to absolute extreme in the sense that literally every activity in the game is now you, by yourself, getting into a line and riding on the ride. And that alone doesn't keep people playing.

My fondest MMO memories are from DAoC, WoW through BC, and EverQuest. None of them had _____ Finders and your reputation as a player mattered. Community mattered. Your actions and how you treated other people mattered. I still remember players and guild names from EverQuest (screw you TMO!!! :p)...

Now you queue up for LFR and nothing matters. How you act, how well you play, and who you play with is all completely irrelevant.

You are 100% correct.

It's a shame, really.

Fuck my favorite genre is dying :(

Azzurri

The heads over at Carbine should have listened to you.

But this is what I've been saying for the longest time, there is no sense of community, and it's much easier to see it in Theme Park MMO's because of their inherent design. At least with BDO and ArcheAge; even though, some might they they're P2W at least they have a sense of community for the most part. Early WoW had this, but the more and more casual (easy) it became it lost any sense of community of working together for a greater goal outside of raiding, raiding and more raiding.

Worked out real well for Wildstar.

In what regard was my post suggesting the financial/long-term viability of vanilla WoW? I was merely stating that some people found a great deal of enjoyment in being the best of the best in a game that made it extremely difficult to achieve such a status.

I was a Wrath baby but having heard the stories of vanilla and BC era WoW they absolutely did the right thing in lessening or eliminating some of the grindy garbage which played a big part in my finally completely, burning out in WoW a few months after MoP launched with those dailies. With Wrath they made a mistake IMO with making Death Knights an instant 60 though and so OP early on that it didn't matter just because of how many level 80 Death Knights there were with players who had zero idea how to play the class.

Raid finder and dungeon finder were great additions to WoW when it comes to easing the trouble finding groups on low population servers, especially on those days (where could be frequent) when I played on Suramar and couldn't find a group to anything when my guild mates were either busy with their own thing and I didn't want to wait if they were even on at all. Unfortunately when it comes to LFD it went to total shit when it was expanded into cross-realms and you were plagued with an overload of shitheads in LFR/D and nothing to do about them, maybe it would've been better to have made it cross-faction which I argued for back then. They should've just merged some of the lower population servers, which they've kind of done now in a round about way that was probably only implemented to avoid the bad PR of being forced to merge realms because of declining interest.

One thing I really don't miss is the toxic elitism attitudes (especially among people who had zero business having such an attitude) that plague a lot of online gaming and especially WoW.

I can think of other reasons why the WoW community died. For example, it's been nine years since Vanilla 'ended.' Those people are all much older and if market trends are to be believed, moved their gaming hours to a platform that so far doesn't have its own 'WoW.' Whether or not they'd come back to that life is not something I want to guarantee and it's definitely not the risk I would take if I were a AAA publisher like ActiBlizz. So you're left with people who pay for convenience in increasing numbers. So I don't see them rebuilding their way towards the glory days of people shouting for help in org/if for hours on end while filling in their hours at their second job farming for gold or doing quests for reputation. The people who love doing that are all now playing ios games where they tap on things that give them gold/donuts/candy crush tokens/etc.

As an aside, in retrospect I can see why Blizz banked so heavily on Garrisons, only to realize how further toxic they became to the community aspect of their MMO.

Oh jesus Kungen just prased Lineage.

Ok, I get where he's coming from, but I also understand why his type of play style is fundamentally incompatible with a game that is expected to actually grow its userbase.

The userbase grew back then.

It doesn't now.

That old model wouldn't bring that back.

Continuing to do this current is doing ain't either.

This reality will never change.

Class warfare about a game can only shroud memories in fog.

The genre's fate is sealed.

The userbase grew back then.

It doesn't now.

That old model wouldn't bring that back.

Continuing to do this current is doing ain't either.

This reality will never change.

Class warfare about a game can only shroud memories in fog.

The genre's fate is sealed.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this. I just wish Kungen wouldn't get so much oxygen when he's such an extreme outlier of a community and even he knows it. WoW exploded into what it was at Wrath's peak for a lot of reasons, and it wasn't people overjoyed by the hours spent begging for groups in trade chat and farming for materials.

(Side note: As an example, in Vanilla and BC, I was known across my server by my main character name. I had open invitations to the top raiding guilds, PvP guilds, and RP guilds. There were literally threads made in the WoW forums about my character (and my wife's) as well as several of our friends. And I knew other characters by name as well. I knew an asshole Nelf Hunter named Tamlin - I still remember that fucker to this day - who I fought with endlessly at Crossroads and Southshore. The fact was that we were basically 'done' with raiding several times, we had completed 'the game' after months and months of grinding, earning our gear and server reputations. And we kept playing because of all the connections to other players we had made. That literally can't happen in today's WoW.)

Kungen was sort-of right in that regard. Vanilla (and most of BC) required huge amounts of effort, within your own server and community, to accomplish anything. There was no Raid Finder, there was no Dungeon Finder, there wasn't even PvP gear, everything took forever to accomplish anything. And you had to accomplish these things with the same group of people - for better or worse.

Agree with this post 100%.

TBiddy

I'm 95% sure the maximum players online in vanilla was 3,500 or 2,500. I mean, go to Orgrimmar on the Nostalrius PvP server (you can find some YouTube Let's Play videos). I don't remember seeing anywhere near that many people on my server (Malygos) back in live vanilla WoW.

I've never really been to Orgrimmar - pure Alliance player here! But you might be right, though. I have no idea how many people were actually online at the same time. It may be that it just seemed like a lot, because of all the social interaction.

An amazing post. I've said something akin many times, but never as well constructed.

Lesmith88

Banned
I played for WoW 7.5 years after playing Everquest for 5 years before that. On Everquest I was Senior Guide Blisik on the Druzzil Ro server. I am burned out on MMORPGs. .

Kenai

I played WoW several years, from the end of BC up until a few months post WoD. Definitely enjoyed my time with the game but I think I'm good for now.

Biggest thing for me was probably class design/balance. Seems like they didn't really want to separate PvE and PvP balance so one held the other back a lot. For example my PvE Resto Shaman was crap to play for pretty much all of Cataclysm mainly because they were really good in PvP. Same with my Mistweaver Monk, healing in general went through several design shifts largely thanks to PvP (mana regen, instants, solo play damage) to the point where I just wasn't enjoying myself much at all. Who wants to feel like the dev team dislikes not just their class of choice but their entire role and thus feels like flipping the table every expansion, especially for such a standard MMO aspect as healing?

Part of why I enjoy playing FF14. It's not a perfect game by any stretch (especially since we are just now getting away from the trash that was 3.1), but they have never let any PvP stuff affect PvE content.

Server populations being very hit/miss were kind of a problem too but at least things like Openriad were able to alleviate that.

Renekton

Even if you have objectively great arguments about how the barriers to entry and lack of QOL enhanced the community magic... a MMO released today without said convenience/theme park/QoL will fail commercially. A low pop server was a pain.

Cyrano

I would really like for all MMOs to just have one leveling cap. I really dislike the "level 5-10 levels" every content expansion.

I want to see more iterating on the gameplay, not trying to balance these new levels that tend to destroy whatever previous balance was established.

Spend time giving players new skills to work with, not bigger numbers.

Also, more sandbox. Allow players to actively change the game world. Allow things players do to matter.

None of this will happen of course, but it'd be nice to see a modern game try it at a multiplayer level.

Sasie

I will give Legion a try since I still keep in contact with people who I got to know through wow years ago but honestly I'm not sure if anything can bring the magic back to the game for me. It might just be that I'm less willing to grind these days but somewhere along the line it feels like everything has become a grind and there is almost no activities left just for fun.

I just to do battlegrounds alone when I wanted to kill time and while the whole "Lets win/lose fast" mentality was always there it used to be possible to at least do something interesting while the others tried to rush the objectives. Like defending a tower in AV or guarding the flag room in WSG.

However with the ability and health/damage increases over time I think PvP lost it's charm for me around Cataclysm. The raise of bots for a while didn't help at all either but even if everyone would play again I think they simply spread the pvp population out too thin as well. While everyone used to do battlegrounds back in the day now serious/casual pvp players are spread out over arena, ranked battlegrounds and normal ones. Doesn't help that most battlegrounds they added over the years done nothing to revive interest in them or been all that good.

Same with PvE with dungeons, raids, heroic dungeons of the same normal ones, flex, looking-for-raid. While most of the sign ups are automatic toward the ends of Pandaria it just felt like playing with bots most of the time unless there was a core group of friends. Wow always been friendly for playing alone but at least it used to feel like I was playing with actual people when I did that and not just human-bots rushing through things.

....i liked farming maraudon for nature resistance for AQ o.0

at least when it was brand new, was kinda a fun guild effort... it was kinda like the drunk downtime after we spent a few hours raiding, practicing the first few bosses. whoever was still on would goof around on mara, try work on our nature res, drink and bs in ts, and just casually farm a bit of nature res haha

the entire AQ war effort, server wide 'world war' (at least on pvp servers), and the early weeks of AQ were probably my favorite 3-4 weeks of WoW. the server pride, politics, and drama were never as active and busy as they were then. lot of it was bolstered by the AC war effort and the awesome 24/7 world PvP war over bug farming tunnels, but i don't know how many servers had that -- maybe it was unique to the biggest pvp servers.

Felessan

Unification via common enemy (in this case - harsh and unfriendly game mechanics) is a good thing, but most people solve it in an opposite way - they just abandon this fight altogether. MMO communities pre-WoW was even more involved with each other... but they have at max 1/10 of WoW size. Most people don't want to live a constant life of struggle, even together with friends, they want to play game peacefully in breaks from real-life where they are often struggle endlessly.

Exactly the same as in RL. Games no longer "forcing" you into relationships. But if you want to achieve something reasonably good - communication is required.

Since forever the strongest thing that kept people together (even way beyond MMO itself) is a common chat. Not doing things together, not a common enemy, just a simple chat where everyone can talk whatever they want.

Cyrano

I just to do battlegrounds alone when I wanted to kill time and while the whole "Lets win/lose fast" mentality was always there it used to be possible to at least do something interesting while the others tried to rush the objectives. Like defending a tower in AV or guarding the flag room in WSG.
AV was cool when it lasted for days or weeks at a time and winning it meant something for people. Doing it in 20 minutes or less and just being able to stand there to get your Blizzard points is a silly waste of time, especially when in a few months you'll just have to get your Blizzard points again.

Sasie

AV was cool when it lasted for days or weeks at a time and winning it meant something for people. Doing it in 20 minutes or less and just being able to stand there to get your Blizzard points is a silly waste of time, especially when in a few months you'll just have to get your Blizzard points again.

I mostly remember the several hour/day AV as a endless zerg between base 1 and 2 and quite often a complete waste of time. My favorite AV was in Wrath with the 30 minute ones when teams did rush but at the same time there was a high focus on keeping your own towers bases and with the right balance it was possible to keep all your own things intact while crushing the enemy in a 25-30 minute game.

I played from middle of 2005 up to Pandaria and I think Wrath of the Lich king was probably when I personally found the game to be the most enjoyable.

yeah i liked it at release when it could be a days long tug-a-war... it was a pretty big deal if someone won it

that said, that was partially because of 2 bugs =p the fact the realm points (for winning a match) were kinda bugged and incorrectly appeared on the stats screen, so no one really felt there was any realm points incentive to farm bgs; and also the loot-from-a-distance bug... AV first few weeks were basically just people either nina looting AV marks from a distance to try get the mounts/epic maul or farm HKs from a distance (why most of the first Rank 14s were mages)

in terms of actual progress, the RP was so slow... again, that was a big reason why the first R14s relied on RP generated from HKs and were primarily mages, or otherwise warlocks and hunters. when people started to farm WSG and then 5-minute 2000/0 AB by August, RP progress changed so fast. it kinda made it even more competitive though because as a relative system, it basically raised the bar... my final week when I hit R14, my weekly total was almost 9x higher than it was basically any week (even at #1 standing) during the first couple months of original AV or WSG haha, usually it was... maybe 100k-200k rp IIRC...I think we broke over 1 million RP twice in the second and third week of AB.

it actually made it worse cuz for the first couple months, #1 standing in casual days-long AV was a bit of a crap shoot, it was hard to tell who really got more HKs in all those casual AV days. but in early AB, there must have been 15-20 people that were all running organized AB-farming guild groups 24/7... even playing 24/7 was not enough because a bunch of people were doing it. you had to play 24/7 but also be more efficient with your 5-minute 2000/0 AB farming. though the 1st nerf did help that a bit since it reduced the penalty for lower standing (e.g. my friend was Rank 13 and he got #3 standing and actually lost basically just over half his entire Rank 14 'Honor' bar. a lot of people forget this but in 2005, Blizzard actually nerfed Rank 14 twice... first time was barely 3 months after the system was added, second was i think in the winter just before AQ added. the original system for the first 2-3 months was even worse the requires (e.g. how much Honour bar filled at #2 standing, how much lost at #3 standing... it was much less forgiving to R13s that got less than #1 standing haha my friend gave up... he spent 2 entire weeks playing 24/7 to got from R13 to about R13.5, and lost basically all of it by getting Standing 3... got to listen to him bitch about that hwl staff for months ;p

people used to AFK a lot in AVs too but not even for RPs really at first because the stats screen was bugged and 2 day old AV wasn't really rewarding RPs haha it was almost like AV was a little community town or server, like, it was where people would just 'live' for days at a time, so people would AFK because they wanted to still be part of that 'community' when they got back to their PC... sort of like, hey guys, just back from class, how we doing...

was pretty cool first month or two, actually rather similar to Hillsbrad in that it was a sort of local community and a never ending tug-a-war battle style

Cyrano

I mostly remember the several hour/day AV as a endless zerg between base 1 and 2 and quite often a complete waste of time. My favorite AV was in Wrath with the 30 minute ones when teams did rush but at the same time there was a high focus on keeping your own towers bases and with the right balance it was possible to keep all your own things intact while crushing the enemy in a 25-30 minute game.

I played from middle of 2005 up to Pandaria and I think Wrath of the Lich king was probably when I personally found the game to be the most enjoyable.
I played from Vanilla to Pandaria as well (or at least, that was the time when I had a consistent subscription), and have jumped on the new expansions for a month or two before becoming bored.

I still enjoyed Vanilla the most, partially because it didn't break up the world, but also because doing stuff was difficult. Required thought, required coordination. I didn't enjoy the grinding, but just about everything else was far more interesting than it is now or ever was later. You had to work with people, and it was even more true since my server was one of the low population servers (eventually jumped to a larger server post-BC, after me and my guildies thought the game started to lose its... we called it "home-ness" at one point).

Felessan

AV first few weeks were basically just people either nina looting AV marks from a distance to try get the mounts/epic maul or farm HKs from a distance (why most of the first Rank 14s were mages)
WG/AB was much more efficient for HK farming for a pre-made teams, so AV was left to casual crowd, and because of this we got what we got - endless brawl.
There were times when top PvP pre-mades went to AV - and it was rather fast and clean win.
On my server rank 14 was strictly distributed by a pre-agreement for some time.

No

I'm working at a restaurant from 11:00 - 1:45 PM then 4:30pm to 11:00 in the evening. And the server I was playing in was as dead as a dodo

yeah later on, i just mean the first month or two when RP for bg victory was bugged

once we got AB, the honour per week increased at least 5x upwards of maybe 9x at a record i think... i think early AV, #1 standing on stormreaver which was probably #4-5 pop. pvp server was maybe 150k, up to 200k. when rp got fixed, started getting up to 500k, and then once the AB got added and pre-mades started running, #1 standing started break 1m.. think highest i ever got was 1.2m or 1.3m (this was about august 2005 so the first few weeks it was released). which was crazy... we had no pre-distributed arrangement, was always like a dozen people all playing 24/7 and competing for it.

it began to suck because the system made your fellow horde the competitors, the enemy -- not alliance ;p

Ex-WoW players: Is there anything that could bring you back?

Only if Blizzard pays me to play. I'm talking a salary with benefits and vacation days.

Top Bottom