• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: COLECO to release Chameleon, console that focuses on new cartridge games

As horrible as this whole thing has been, I was kind of feeling bad for Mike.

Yeah....not anymore. I thought maybe he was just delusional but it's quite obvious now that he's trying to scam people. Disgusting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mike Kennedy. Actions of a true scammer, through and through.

massoluk

Banned
I was wondering why a retro console system thread got so long, lol. I missed all the drama. This is pretty damn incredible.

ConceptX

CcbqbTMVAAAWGGC.jpg

where's dreamwriter?

This is one of the most incredible thing's I've ever seen.

This guy is relentless.

Machina

Banned
That would be beautiful, but I fear it'd take him weeks just to get up to speed on the whole story from the first Jaguar case teases to today's bombshell.

I don't even care. Give him a couple of weeks to get caught up then watch the payoff be glorious regardless.

The real question is who takes Dreamwriter's place as the Chameleon Defender now, and what type of tag will Dreamwriter get for their efforts thus far?

Risible

The real question is who takes Dreamwriter's place as the Chameleon Defender now, and what type of tag will Dreamwriter get for their efforts thus far?

What's funny us that Dreamwriter was a HUUUGE defender of the Ouya as well, to the point where I was wondering if he was a astroturfer for them. Basically if Dreamwriter is backing your protect it's doomed. :)

ekim

This is just too good. I can't wait to hear the excuse about the capture card inside the Jaguar shell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike just faded off into oblivion now, I mean how can he feasibly make up enough lies and excuses to come back from this debacle?

Kyari

Frank Cifaldi was directing the story towards kotaku's Patrick Klepek last night. Interesting to see if that results in a story - giving a summary of events to friends is becoming exhausting at this point.

s_mirage

Oh dear. I thought it would turn out to be a PCI card, and I've never thought there was a huge market for this product even if it was real, but it's kind of sad that it's turned out this way.

At this point, Mike is either an outright scam artist or he is delusional, for real. I don't see any other possibilities.

Meohsix

People need to be warned to ensure their kickstarter fails and these shady mother fuckers don't take anyone's money.

Not even worried about people losing any money on this, the kickstarter has little chance of launching. And even if it does there will be an army of people clanging the warning bells to protect people from it.

They deserve to remain failures and never allowed on Kickstarter with their blatant lies.

Once they launch on Kickstarter everyone needs to report them to kickstarter for being a scam so it gets taken down. I know I plan on doing it.

Instead of waiting for them to potentially launch a Kickstarter and then reporting them, isn't there anyone at Kickstarter we can contact with the full history of this to make sure they never get the chance in the first place?

emb

Just caught up on this thread from the recent news. This whole thing keeps getting crazier. Can't wait to see if RVGS makes a damage-control response or if they fold.

SerTapTap

The first sign this attempt was a scam should have been their insistence on this thing somehow playing Coleco games, brand new proprietary carts and SNES games despite a 1 slot console design. There's no way in the world all 3 of those fit in the same slot. Even a scam artist should have seen the problem with that.

I'm kind of sad we didn't get to see the scam kickstarter but this is better than them putting up a scam and somehow actually being funded.

emb

Even a scam artist should have seen the problem with that.
It really makes me wonder how the last few decisions were made. Like, Mike or whoever took those pictures thought no one would ever identify that capture card? Did they not think claiming to create the first competent SNES FPGA in a such short time would raise eyebrows? Did they get ready to go to the Toy Fair, feeling good about the electrical tape slathered over their Jaguar shell?

It seems like at any of these points, the risks of trying to deceive people would be obvious. Breaking the promise to be at the Toy Fair or show the board on the day of the planned Kickstarter would have been better attempts than showing fakes for people to disprove.

SerTapTap

They probably didn't think they'd bump into anyone proficient enough to call their bluff on the toy fair thing. I guess they were hoping to fall back on the "oops, projects don't always turn out as planned!" thing when they cut half their features after their kickstarter. (I still doubt they would have been funded, the IGG campaign was a ghost town)

Still this has been oddly fascinating. I feel sorry for anyone earnestly awaiting the Return of Carts though.

Mega

Banned
The first sign this attempt was a scam should have been their insistence on this thing somehow playing Coleco games, brand new proprietary carts and SNES games despite a 1 slot console design. There's no way in the world all 3 of those fit in the same slot. Even a scam artist should have seen the problem with that.

I'm kind of sad we didn't get to see the scam kickstarter but this is better than them putting up a scam and somehow actually being funded.

It's all very muddy and has changed a lot, but the plan was roughly

1. RVGS-specific carts running games ported from other systems (SNES, Genesis, etc).
2. Carts from other systems running on adapters plugged into the cartridge port.

This is all entirely possible and has been done before... but at the hands of competent companies that weren't trying to scam the userbase.

I have to wonder at what point do Mike and Friends finally stop with the lies. Time and time again they've been shown they are dealing with a demographic that is extremely knowledgeable and vigilant, that always sees through their bullshit. What possesses a person to insist on continuing with trying to deceive people who are steps ahead of them? Maybe he's a true pathological liar, the sort of person with a mental state that simply cannot stop telling constant lies, for no reason, to anyone who will listen. I have met a few people like this before.

SerTapTap

I don't think they expected the interested parties to be so thorough, but who the hell did they expect to be interested if not hardcore retro/game fans? Casual fans will just buy those licensed/unlicensed repro consoles with X in 1 games and wouldn't care enough to buy a bunch of pricy new games.

Yeah the market size for this product is microscopic. Even without the fake prototype backfire, I don't think this would have even broken 25% funded on Kickstarter anyways.

emb

So this wasn't meant to just be a concept image??
Correct. It could be perceived as harmless enough if presented as an idea of what the system would look like. That's what we got about a year ago with the various color photoshops of the RVGS.

Several images were revealed all at once though. The one you quoted was shown alongside of this:
Which indicates that they wanted people to think there was a working prototype (something they also claimed to have at the Toy Fair).

In addition, they provided this text:
Coleco Chameleon said:
We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything we’d imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant we’d need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our team’s overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If there’s ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system soon on our Facebook page, and we’ll focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

OnPoint

Wow.

They might have been able to salvage something if they came clean right after the SNES discovery. But this is full commitment to willful deception.

Fuck off with this. You won't see a dime of my cash. What a shame, too. I would have been in if this were real.

This youtube video has been removed by the user.

He did it between midnight last night and noon today. Just checked, your right. I listened to it last night and was cracking up. I'm sure, Stop, Drop & Retro has it saved, as he has a nice collection of MIke Kennedy interviews, so probably can grab it again.

emb

Speaking of things being removed, I hope someone has been archiving everything. You never know when they'll try to remove info about the CC. They act like it's a decent way of controlling information.

Vamphuntr

I wonder who or what will put the final nail in their coffin. At this point they were probably hoping to get a huge sum on Kickstarter to be able to afford someone that could create their hardware. It's fairly disgusting they've been caught twice in a row in like two weeks with fake prototypes. Mike no longer has any credibility let's see how he will embarrassingly explain the capture card being in the hardware. They seem desperate to trick people so they will throw money at their poorly conceived scam. Are we watching a life long dream slipping through his fingers or a shameful attempt at repaying the debts he incurred during this endeavor?

Speaking of things being removed, I hope someone has been archiving everything. You never know when they'll try to remove info about the CC. They act like it's a decent way of controlling information.

I've backed up all the videos they've posted.

In fact, why do you think they only posted under their old Retro VGS YouTube channel?

coleco_youtube.png

Lookin' for this Mike??

I have a nice home for those videos. I'll reupload them later this week.

I didn't save everything, but let me check my files because I think I might. Might have the Gamester81 interview you guys were talking about.

I've backed up all the videos they've posted.

In fact, why do you think they only posted under their old Retro VGS YouTube channel?

coleco_youtube.png

Lookin' for this Mike??

I have a nice home for those videos. I'll reupload them later this week.

I didn't save everything, but let me check my files because I think I might. Might have the Gamester81 interview you guys were talking about.

Haha have you by any chance got the original pitch video for the indiegogo campaign? That should be good for a chuckle...

Mega

Banned
Looking in retrospect at the pattern with Retro, the Carlsen video should count as the first of three fake prototypes.

I never bought for a second that Carlsen acted on his own as Mike would have us believe when he threw him under the bus and blamed him for that video disaster and everything involving the VGS. Even under a NEW team it's been the same old shit and worse... with Mike as the common denominator throughout. He has the same cycle:

1. Make impossible promises
2. Attentive viewers get impatient with the fluff and lack of progress
3. Release manipulative images or video for damage control
3. It gets justifiably torn to shreds by the discerning public
4. Deny, deflect, delete, blame, insult, lie, etc.
5. Repeat

s_mirage

I wonder who or what will put the final nail in their coffin. At this point they were probably hoping to get a huge sum on Kickstarter to be able to afford someone that could create their hardware. It's fairly disgusting they've been caught twice in a row in like two weeks with fake prototypes. Mike no longer has any credibility let's see how he will embarrassingly explain the capture card being in the hardware. They seem desperate to trick people so they will throw money at their poorly conceived scam. Are we watching a life long dream slipping through his fingers or a shameful attempt at repaying the debts he incurred during this endeavor?

The more farcical this gets, the more I wonder if he's in the midst of some kind of breakdown. He had the chance to make this a reality, but his poor project management skills and shifting, unrealistic, design goals fucked things up by driving away the people who had the skills needed to make it so. Having a dream come so close to being realised, and then throwing it away because of your own ineptitude, might weigh heavily on someone.

Christof

Neo Member
I was surprised by how this thread seemed to still have so much momentum, so I thought "eh lets see what's going on in there".

Wow...

Top Bottom