• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

OnPoint

No way. The last level's checkpoint is harsh, but it's totally fair. Probably the best part of the game; it really feels like a gauntlet.

I typically hate gauntlets in NES games, so it's no surprise I disliked this one as well. Still, it didn't ruin the game for me.

Votes aren't tallied?

Yeah, I'm closing the voting on the 4th since I screwed up and didn't post the link until super late. My mistake for sure.

That said, here's the voting form, in case anyone was wondering!

Teknoman

The Youtube effect happened again.

Sky Kid on the NES is ranging around 40 bucks on eBay after being featured on James and Mike Mondays.

What the hell, Skykid?!

Sky kid? Seriously? How'd that jump up but the other recent games dodge the bullet?

I typically hate gauntlets in NES games, so it's no surprise I disliked this one as well. Still, it didn't ruin the game for me.

Yeah, I'm closing the voting on the 4th since I screwed up and didn't post the link until super late. My mistake for sure.

That said, here's the voting form, in case anyone was wondering!

Ah gotcha, just curious. Ready for the next challenge!

Teknoman

I've heard that Metroid 2 shot up as well - although not so drastically, maybe to $15 or so.

Was just about to check that. At least Golden Axe 2 is still the same. I can see rare games getting more attention going up in price, but that was just odd. Unless they really gushed about it.

Edit: Yeah they seemed ok... but that's definitely not 40 bucks worth of game.

OnPoint

Look I love Sky Kid (accidentally asked my aunt for it as a child because I saw and wanted Alex Kidd because of a magazine... oops), but it's not worth that price.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
post-37046-thats-actually-hilarious-gif-S-MmDq.gif

That being said, my NES has some sort of power switch issue that's causing interference on the display when being used. I'm gonna hook it up tonight and see if I can show you guys what's up to see if you can diagnose it.

I dunno if I should buy a "new" one, repair mine, or just wait it out for a decent clone system to come along someday.

Mega

Banned
Yeah, get the hell out with that price. Sky Kid was one of the cheapo Fami games I got with my AV Famicom purchase on ebay.

-KRS-

You know the prices on retro games in your country are really bad when my first thought when seeing that was "That seems pretty fair, a bit cheap even".

Then I read this:
$225 for that haha.

I could get a top loader with two dogbone controllers and the same games on ebay for $180.

I'm glad I have some good retro game stores by me.
Huh. :p

Weird. I guess someone from HAL was involved in the development of Punch Out!! somewhere along the way.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
The Youtube effect happened again.

Sky Kid on the NES is ranging around 40 bucks on eBay after being featured on James and Mike Mondays.

Dang, if you ever doubted the YT effect, this is undeniable proof. Price charting sites had that game listed for selling $10 last month. The Retro Stock Market never ceases to amaze me.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sky-Kid-Ninte...pan-import-US-Seller-/331779838948?nav=SEARCH

Unless you want it complete. I have a bootleg of it floating around somewhere that came with my converter.

Definitely tempting. Will have to watch GameCenter CX first, assuming the last one doesn't get sold in the meantime.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You know the prices on retro games in your country are really bad when my first thought when seeing that was "That seems pretty fair, a bit cheap even".

Yeah, it would be a pretty good deal here too, could split it up and sell it on for more without a sweat.

That is correct, while the original arcade version of Defender 2 was in 81, the Famicom version didn't come out till 88. Punch Out!! was in 87. The original arcade Defender 2 had no music.

Pretty sure it's the other way around. This was a quick and dirty port by HAL and it came out after Punch-Out!!
That is correct, while the original arcade version of Defender 2 was in 81, the Famicom version didn't come out till 88. Punch Out!! was in 87. The original arcade Defender 2 had no music.
No, I'm pretty sure Defender 2 NES came first. Star Gate for the Famicom (its Japanese counterpart) came out 1987/09/24; Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!'s first release, the North American one, was a month later in October. (Japan followed two months later still, on 1987/11/21.)

Actually the Gold version which came out first was also September of 87. It was a prize given away for their Famicom Golf US Competition in Japan. I don't know if it has a specific day of release.

Holy_Grails32.jpg

Is there any specific fix for jail bars? I've refurbished this front loader from parts of 3 NES systems that gave their best parts so this one might live, as well as getting a new 72 Pin connector, and I snipped the lockout chip pin. Life got in the way and I haven't touched it in a year. Now every cart I put in it has these ugly jail bars. Other than the obvious cleaning issues thay may have cropped up from it being idle for a year (and with a cart in it :/), is there anything specific to look for?

lJ0zCeh.jpg

When I take the top shell off of the console, the issue does not appear. Something must be getting pressed on... but I can't tell. Wacky!

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Shatterhand was great, but February has passed us by and now
we're off to the mighty month of March. And with it we have a new game to
play, and it's a bit of a shocker -- The Guardian Legend is now in our crosshairs!​

zpdOju0.png

The Guardian Legend is an incredibly strange game, but it
encapsulates the multi-genre experimentation of the NES-era pretty well, despite
not being quite as well-loved or at least as talked about as games like Blaster Master.

The game is basically two genres in one -- top-down adventure (like a sci-fi Zelda) and,
and SHMUP (like Gradius and its ilk). That it's made by Compile is interesting, since
they're pretty well known for games like Gun Nac and Puyo Puyo. It's a pretty ambitious
adventure so get ready for a true quest!​

MTotT24.png

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.
I won't lie: I'm a bit surprised Mega Man III was beat out, but y'all have spoken
and here we are! Democracy, bitches!​

tqGWDQB.png

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).
The first five games suggested that have not yet been played, and were not
nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016

Morfeo

Nice choice and my second behind Strider. Wasnt able to participate last month, but hope to be back this time!

-KRS-

When I take the top shell off of the console, the issue does not appear. Something must be getting pressed on... but I can't tell. Wacky!

In that case it's probably the connector that's having some issues making a connection. Does the issue disappear if you press down the cartridge all the way while the console is on? I know that fastening the screws of the shell can sometimes align the connector differently enough to give issues like this when the connector is getting old. Try taking it out and boiling it in water for a while.

In that case it's probably the connector that's having some issues making a connection. Does the issue disappear if you press down the cartridge all the way while the console is on? I know that fastening the screws of the shell can sometimes align the connector differently enough to give issues like this when the connector is getting old. Try taking it out and boiling it in water for a while.

Awesome! Just picked up a boxed copy recently, I've been waiting to see if it would win before I really started playing through it.

Pretty neat, but im more impressed by your Battle Beasts in the background there :) I always liked those when I was little, and liked to blow people's minds when I told them they were technically part of the TF universe..

Anyways on topic, Transformers Mystery of Convoy sucks, and yet I will never get rid of it. What were we talking about again?

Were they related to Transformers in some way? Or did I make that up. I made weird logical leaps like that as a kid; since they both user those heat-activated stickers to hide their allegiance, they must be related somehow.

OnPoint

According to the Wikipedia entry:

Battle Beasts were created by Takara of Japan in 1986 Tomy Co., Ltd., aka K.K. Takara-Tomy, still owns the worldwide rights to the property. The heyday for the toyline came during the period in which it was licensed to Hasbro for distribution outside Japan when Hasbro marketed the toys in America and many other parts of the world. Although in the Japanese market Takara branded the toys as a spin-off of Transformers and even named the toys "BeastFormers," their tie-in to the Transformers universe was not part of the Hasbro story or marketing.

I have a bunch of those floating around though most of the stickers are long gone.

Just installed the blinking light win I ordered a couple months ago and I'm impressed. It's bizarre to be able to just plug in an NES game and have it work the first time without any issues.

Hard to go back to composite though after playing SNES and other systems via s-video on my CRT. I might end up doing the RGB mod to get s-video on an NES and future proof the system if I ever find myself a PVM or pickup a framemeister.

Morfeo

I guess the black thing that is around the pin-connector, the little mechanic that lets you push the game down, isnt screwed onto it the correct way. Try unscrewing it and the motherboard, and put it back on when you hold the motherboard at an angle, so that you make absolutely sure that it is done the correct way. I think this will probably fix your issue.

Timu

It's finally done, the no death run of Batman is finally fucking done. Holy fuck, this was one of the most painful things I've done this year so far. After over 6 months of training and over 50 fucking attempts this week, it's done, and man did I farm quite a bit and made many mistakes in this run. I'm not doing another no dying run ever again with this one, once is enough. Now onto Sunsoft's Superman game which I will need lots of practice on, though I been doing that for a while now.

Ah, The Guardian Legend, looks interesting, will give it a try.

Top Bottom