• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain - A Neogaf Official Thread on the Gaming Forum

Big_T

KAOz said:
Does the Origami come with every edition? :D

Hoping so. At least hoping it's so for the PAL-version aswell. <_<
yes, i thought it only come with the special edition but it was in the EU normal copy.
But the game guide really small around 13 pages

KAOz

Short bus special
Big_T said:
yes, i thought it only come with the special edition but it was in the EU normal copy.
But the game guide really small around 13 pages

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I was going to force my girlfriend to create one herself, complete with all the texture, but no need now. Wonderful! Thanks alot! :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sotha Sil said:
Well, I never thought I would post on GAF, but I just had to get this out of my chest: buy it, people.

If you think you can relate to these characters (English VA may be an issue: the French one is good, so I wouldn't know), please buy it. I've been moved to tears by games before, but the story was forced on me back then; in Heavy Rain, it's about the choices you make, or fail to make. And this fact alone redeems most of the game's flaws.

There goes my first post and probably my last: buy Heavy Rain! It's worth it.

Pedant(s) and haters be damned.

Back to lurking.

Only game to date that brought me to tears was Devil May Cry 2. Goddamn that thing sucked.

Kasra_2x4

Big_T said:
Got the game
I really like the EU cover , btw its available in Kuwait
img_048461ae2.jpg

img_04863038c.jpg
hey dude,you have it...let me touch you.I want it :'(

SamBishop

Banned
Press final retail copies went out today, I believe, for us US folks. That can only mean the game is being shipped to retailers soon. Just a bit longer and you guys will be able to make your own calls on things.

I've already said my piece. This thread is the 100x100 of poop in a shit bun with special dookie sauce, but at least it'll soon be filled with people actually talking about the game. Ignore what others (including me) have said thus far, dig into the game and enjoy it for as much or as little as you can. I'll be on the other side to (hopefully) start the chatter thread a week or so after the game's out.

Until then, I can only impress upon you, those that finish early, to leave the game be and let others have their experience. You will be surprised at the things they did vs. your version and it's imperative that we let that experience be as untainted as possible.

I wish you luck in your hunt for the Origami Killer, and ask only that you let yourselves get just a little invested in the characters. The game, I think, will do the rest and you'll come out the other side with a pretty unique take on things, from perception to actual interactions to threads through the bulk of what Quantic Dream has tried to do.

ACE 1991

So my mother, someone who NEVER games nor knows anything about them, approached me and asked me about this game she heard called Heavy Rain and is really interested in seeing me play it when it releases next week. Awesome.

slider

SamBishop said:
Press final retail copies went out today, I believe, for us US folks. That can only mean the game is being shipped to retailers soon. Just a bit longer and you guys will be able to make your own calls on things.

I've already said my piece. This thread is the 100x100 of poop in a shit bun with special dookie sauce, but at least it'll soon be filled with people actually talking about the game. Ignore what others (including me) have said thus far, dig into the game and enjoy it for as much or as little as you can. I'll be on the other side to (hopefully) start the chatter thread a week or so after the game's out.

Until then, I can only impress upon you, those that finish early, to leave the game be and let others have their experience. You will be surprised at the things they did vs. your version and it's imperative that we let that experience be as untainted as possible.

I wish you luck in your hunt for the Origami Killer, and ask only that you let yourselves get just a little invested in the characters. The game, I think, will do the rest and you'll come out the other side with a pretty unique take on things, from perception to actual interactions to threads through the bulk of what Quantic Dream has tried to do.

With that I'm now avoiding every Heavy Rain thread. Cheers!

ACE 1991 said:
So my mother, someone who NEVER games nor knows anything about them, approached me and asked me about this game she heard called Heavy Rain and is really interested in seeing me play it when it releases next week. Awesome.

I think you're not the first one posting this kind of story. what I want to know though, where the hell does these 'mom and dad' hear about Heavy Rain? is there any strong marketing push for Heavy Rain? I haven't seen any heavy rain commercial. any Kevin Butler ad?

hsukardi

ACE 1991 said:

This is really interesting.

I think adult interest in the game won't be a big factor in driving sales of the game as it's still quintessentially a game and I don't think most of the non-gaming mainstream would purchase a $60 entry ticket to a piece of video game entertainment.

However, if Heavy Rain can accumulate enough good press on the adult/game-is-art side it could be a gaming landmark which would prompt more of the gaming community to try it out and purchase the game in turn.

The next 4 weeks will see how Heavy Rain plays out.. fingers crossed QD and David Cage unleash a success.

All the actors' auditions in the making of video. Wonder where some of the passion went. But I digress, I haven't heard it all. I'm excited to see more of the characters' personalities. It's just going to be a longg couple days until release.

Frester

Has there been a link/file posted for a hi-res image of the PAL boxart? I hate the US cover so I was thinking of getting the PAL one printed out somewhere and swapping it out. I just ordered my copy on Amazon, now I just need to finish up ME2 :D
about to head through the Omega 4 relay :O

SmokyDave

ACE 1991 said:
My brothers saw me playing the fight scene from Sleazy Place and it sold them both on the game (and the PS3 needed to play it). Everyone in the room was fixated on the on-screen action and by the end we were all cheering for Scott Shelby.

This is a game by adults, for adults that uses sex and violence in subtle ways rather than the egregious crap in most other games. I think it's going to be a real hit once word-of-mouth kicks in. I know for sure there are others coming over this weekend after hearing my brothers waffling on about the game.

Big_T

Played 3 chapters good start, but sometime there is a really bad slowdown during the cut scene (i have a 60GB launch ps3)

I found a weird glitch at the third chapter i tried to pick something the character disappeared and appeared in a different place it happens every time i try to pick that item.

Maybe there is an update for the game on the release day .

after 20 minutes i did it , im really bad at this stuff
17022010055cae1c.jpg

SmokyDave

Jamesearlcash said:
My gf isn't into games, however i will pursuade her to play the demo, hopefully she won't be put of by the vr glasses
See, I don't have a problem with them given the alternatives would either be random prompts or looking around with the naked eye. It also made me feel cooler than the regular police because I had my FBI toy.

ACE 1991 said:
My girlfriend, who primarily hates when I play video games, saw the latest trailer with me when it released, and actually said, "I'd like to watch you play that." I was shocked.

New interview with Cage

Eurogamer: The first reviews of Heavy Rain have appeared now. How do you feel about the critical reaction to the game so far?

David Cage: I think they're very positive, I'm really pleased with most of the things I've read. I was expecting more polarised reactions and probably with a different ratio, I was expecting some kind of 50/50 between the people believing this is great, and the people saying "why doesn't the hero have a gun". And in fact this is absolutely not what I got, I got 90/10 if I had to estimate, with an average score of 9 out of 10, which I'm really pleased with... I believe that it's a game that allows journalists to be very good, also, in how they write...

Eurogamer: Well, it is nice for us to have something different to write about.

David Cage: Exactly. Because when you write about another first-person shooter all you can say is how great it looks, how many enemies, how many levels, etcetera. But here with Heavy Rain all journalists had to analyse the medium and take a position. And I think that was something really interesting to see and to hear.

Eurogamer: What's been your favourite response to the game so far?

David Cage: Honestly, there are many. I loved the Eurogamer preview, from Tom Bramwell. It was something that really surprised me, because the game led him to tell something about his own life. I thought that was so unique, so different, I mean how many games can lead you to talk about something you've lived in your personal life? Very few. I thought it shows that the game can resonate with people.

But I also loved another review from the Official PlayStation Magazine in the US, they wrote a fantastic review giving five out of five to the game, and during the whole review they didn't talk about the technology, about the graphics, about the animation or anything, they just talked about what they felt when they played. This is exactly what I wanted to read, forget about the technology, these are just tools. No-one cares. What is important is what the game achieves emotionally or not.

Eurogamer: What do you personally want to do next? Do you want to continue developing this format that you've created for Heavy Rain, or do you want to do something completely different?

David Cage: Both. I'm interested in triggering emotions in this interactive medium, this is exactly what I believe is my mission. But maybe in different forms: I know one thing for sure, it's that Heavy Rain is the end of my personal trilogy trying to tell the same type of stories with serial killers and stuff, in the thriller genre.

I'm really happy I've done so because I wanted to have a very codified genre that I can really play with, I know where the boundaries are, it's really well defined for me and for everybody and at the same time I can try to play and learn within this space. Now I think I'm grown up enough to say, OK, let's expand the space and try to see what else I can do with what I've learned.

Eurogamer: Do you think there's a scope for making interactive drama for more than one player?

David Cage: Oh! Yes. Yes, I think it's possible and I think this is the next challenge. And that would be fascinating. It's incredibly challenging. When I saw the efforts that were needed just to make a single-player experience work on Heavy Rain, I have an idea of what it's going to take to make a multiplayer one, but that would be very exciting.

Eurogamer: Will your next project be a PS3 exclusive, and if so would you use 3D or motion control?

David Cage: [long pause] We are interested in both. In 3D and motion control. The very first game design of Heavy Rain was based on a motion controller, actually, that we designed ourselves. We wanted to use the Dual Shock and clip a plastic part on it with three little lights that would be detected by the EyeToy. That was four years back, so we suggested the design to Sony but it was not feasible at the time, so we agreed to go back to Dual Shock.

But we've had an interest in motion control for a very long time, and all of Heavy Rain's interface is really designed around motion. So we have a lot of interest in this motion controller, we start to play with it, and yeah, we definitely want to do something with it.

Now, is it going to be a PlayStation 3 exclusive? Well, that really depends on the publisher of Quantic Dream's next game. If it's Sony again, yeah no doubt it's going to be exclusive.

Eurogamer: How did you come up with the Origami Killer's back-story and motivation? Did you do a lot of research into serial killers?

David Cage: Oh yeah, I really worked on serial killers, I read a lot of books about them. I'm fascinated by what they write. Because when you read what these people write, they are nuts of course, but sometimes there is a kind of logic, a kind of poetry... a strange poetry in what they say. It's really intriguing and frightening at the same time.

I did some research, I was looking for something that would be very intriguing as a modus operandi, and I came up with the fact that the killer may give a gift to his victims, like, "I'm sorry for what I've done, it was not you that I intended to kill." Everything started from there: why? Why an orchid on the chest? And mud on the face was something that has been done by some real serial killers just to make the victim anonymous, so they replace the person that is the victim by a symbol.

Eurogamer: I noticed there was a trophy for seeing all the possible endings... Can you say how many distinct endings there are?

David Cage: There are many different endings, I think there are 23 epilogues actually in the game. But it doesn't mean that there are 23 endings, because there are many different paths leading to different endings, and there are combinations of paths and consequences offering more choices leading to more consequences... so the way it's written, it's not like there's one branch here, one branch here and you end up with two endings.

What was really surprising to us was that when people played the first time, they got the feeling that they were making no choices. They were just doing what seemed logical to them, and the story just unfolded whether they succeeded or not, so they didn't feel they did something wrong or right. Because the story always continues.

Eurogamer: Were you surprised that Sony put the resources behind Heavy Rain that it did?

David Cage: [pause] I'm extremely pleased that they signed the title initially. I think that when they did so it was a huge risk. Because look, if they failed, if the game didn't receive 90 per cent average but 60 per cent, they would be in a strange position here.

But no, they trusted us from day one. They were very patient - it's a strange kind of game, because it looks like shit until the very last months, or even the very last weeks. Because until you've got the music, all the dialogue in it, all the cameras, all the sound effects, it looks like crap. It must be very scary for a publisher to see all the scenes, emotion nowhere, everything looking ugly... and in fact they were not nervous. I'm not surprised because I think that Sony wants to expand its market, which makes a lot of sense.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/heavy-rains-david-cage-interview

btkadams

i only own the ps3 out of the next gen consoles so the others might do this as well, but it really makes me happy that sony seems to invest in innovative titles so much. it always seems like they are trying to push different genres of games rather than solely cash in.

please don't take this as a fanboy statement, im not saying other gamemakers dont do this, i simply do not have any idea about 360 or wii titles.

David Cage said:
But at the same time we could do a short movie that would be maybe 30 minutes long... or you could do a TV series, you could have an hour delivered weekly. There is no limit to what you can do because we invented a language to tell stories in general.

I thought that was interesting; I've thought it/mentioned it before but it's definitely a great "format" for doing some sort of episodic content or short story format weekly, monthly, whatever.

andycapps

So I played the demo on my launch 60 GB PS3 and I enjoyed it immensely. The only issue I had was a technical one and may have been a glitch that could have been fixed by a reload, but I wanted to ask other users if they encountered it as well. Putting this in spoilers in case some want to remain unspoiled by what are pretty minor details..

I walk in to the "sleazy apartment" and am talking to the woman in there and instead of walking around the apartment, she zips across it really fast. Sometimes the camera would zoom in on what I'm assuming was supposed to be her, but it was zooming in on nothing. I'm thinking that something is corrupted there or just a glitch.

Anyone else encounter this or am I the only one?

KAOz

Short bus special
andycapps said:
I walk in to the "sleazy apartment" and am talking to the woman in there and instead of walking around the apartment, she zips across it really fast. Sometimes the camera would zoom in on what I'm assuming was supposed to be her, but it was zooming in on nothing. I'm thinking that something is corrupted there or just a glitch.

Never experienced that at all. And, well, I haven't ran into any glitches at all during my 15+ playthroughs of the demo. So, you might not be the only one.

Filldough

andycapps said:
So I played the demo on my launch 60 GB PS3 and I enjoyed it immensely. The only issue I had was a technical one and may have been a glitch that could have been fixed by a reload, but I wanted to ask other users if they encountered it as well. Putting this in spoilers in case some want to remain unspoiled by what are pretty minor details..

I didnt get that particular error but I did have it glitch on me during the FBI scene. Static mess of nonsense, had to do a hard reset, kinda freaked me out actually.

SmokyDave

andycapps said:

I'm pretty certain that someone in either this thread or the demo impressions thread mentioned the same thing. It was shortly after someone mentioned her cigarette had been hanging in the air on it's own on one of their playthroughs.

andycapps

SmokyDave said:
I'm pretty certain that someone in either this thread or the demo impressions thread mentioned the same thing. It was shortly after someone mentioned her cigarette had been hanging in the air on it's own on one of their playthroughs.

Yeah similar issues too for me, will try it again. Hoping that it doesn't happen when I get the retail game.

Does anyone know if you get the free first episode of DLC when you pre-order from Best Buy? Does it have to be Amazon? Reason I'm asking is I don't see anything about it on the listing on Best Buy's site.

Phloxy

Yeah can't find it anywhere here on the East Coast. If anybody here gets an extra copy I'd paypal quick for it, leaving on vacation Friday lol. Pm me

LordPhoque said:
Some douche spoiled the name of the killer on another board... fuck I've been owned :(

yeah, i think, for me, it's time to go total blackout, this thread included - but will return with impressions once i'm done :) ...

Phloxy said:
Yeah can't find it anywhere here on the East Coast. If anybody here gets an extra copy I'd paypal quick for it, leaving on vacation Friday lol. Pm me

Same here, I'll paypal as quick as lightning and pay for overnight shipping even. I check my local Blockbuster and not only did they not have it out for rental, no mention of the game in any of their advertisements/cardboard cutouts/release list etc... Weird is all I can say. Anyone have success in getting it early, yet?

Hey if LA GAF finds a spot that is selling the game early can you guys let me know? I'm on the lookout myself and will let you guys know if I find one.

Kasra_2x4 said:
ok.I wont read any spoils even in off topic discussion from now on.

It's my fault though, the guy was giving his impressions in
and he warned that there were some spoilers, I just didn't see the warning :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just had a weird glitch in the demo where the prostitute seemed to be standing in the wrong spot and she would frequently "teleport" back and forth in the room while talking. When she poofed away the camera would show an empty area but she would still be talking. When she went to have a smoke the pack and cig sort of levitated where she was meant to be and lit itself, it was some trippy shit. Anyone else see this happen?

Also, maybe we don't need it till Tuesday but someone needs to make a story discussion thread so we can keep end game spoilers the fuck outta here.

Forsete

Gold Member
btkadams said:
i only own the ps3 out of the next gen consoles so the others might do this as well, but it really makes me happy that sony seems to invest in innovative titles so much. it always seems like they are trying to push different genres of games rather than solely cash in.

Feeling the same. I have felt this way since ICO/Shadow of the Colossus. <3

LordPhoque

Time to bail out from the internetz. :/

Forsete said:
Feeling the same. I have felt this way since ICO/Shadow of the Colossus. <3

Time to bail out from the internetz. :/
They are so good at fucking up other things. But the one thing they nail is making the actual games. It leads to so many love/hate relationships with them.

Ploid 3.0

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
David Cage said:
But at the same time we could do a short movie that would be maybe 30 minutes long... or you could do a TV series, you could have an hour delivered weekly. There is no limit to what you can do because we invented a language to tell stories in general.

I thought that was interesting; I've thought it/mentioned it before but it's definitely a great "format" for doing some sort of episodic content or short story format weekly, monthly, whatever.

I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have a House M.D. game made like this. Or a tv series that's canceled (Arrested Development) and just create a world in a game with multiple things to do, like heavy rain, so it always feel different. Would be a good thing for the fans that miss the show. House would be good because it's also like a mystery, and there's Cuddy and her boobs. You could also screw up a break in at the patient's home to look for clues and have to work that much harder wondering if the answer to curing the person was in that house and if you'd be able to save the day anyway.

I like where this is going.

I'd like to do a flash game based on Heavy Rain, except I'll be exploring the reason my wife is being short with me this week. It will be called Heavy Flow.

Top Bottom