• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

Lagamorph

JPPs9Yp.jpg
Uh, where is the extra $200,000 coming from?

Probably money from lost sales from a sixth game they decided they could have "made" during the time it took to add the amounts up.

Haha, nothing like shitty math in a claim.

Thing is, those numbers actually add up to $11,561,000
So they're effectively short changing themselves by $800,000

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The genuinly sad part about all of this is, that listening to that Sterling x DH interview you actually get the impression that those guys CARE about the games they make. They make fucking awful games but it doesn't seem like they know that they behave like fraudsters. At least that's the impression I got. I think they genuinly believe that they are in the right and that Jim is attacking them for no reason. That they are the victims here. It's really sad if you think about it. I almost pitty them.

Zomba13

You're right. I should've maybe actually looked at the numbers before making a shitty joke because the actuality is funnier.

Primus

Thanks for the rundown, I just got a copy of the complaint myself and had been poring over it when you wrote your summary.

Counts 1 and 6-10, and 10 again are pretty weak and boil down to "Jim said things we didn't like" or "Jim said something but then we changed it so now he's wrong". 6 and 7, the two Per Quod libels, are laughably bad and they should be ashamed for putting those in a legal filing. "mob or mob family" indeed, LOL.

The "Incident Causing Lost Product Damage", to me, is the most interesting part because we had no idea that Steam was actively breathing down Digital Homicide's neck due to the Jimquisition videos. To the point that Steam was going to delist everything DH had done, plus essentially ban them. The problem with this segment, as Jim's video from the other day shows, is that apparently DH is able to dump stuff back on Greenlight again. Maybe they ended up with just a suspension, but regardless the fact that they have product currently listed on Greenlight pretty much deep sixes this whole line of argument.

Counts 2-5, the ones that cover the portion of the kerfluffle regarding ECC Games out of Poland, this part they might actually have a small bit of room to stand on. Problem is, their evidence is crap. The idea of submitting random screenshots of websites as evidence should be making Jim's lawyer giggle with glee.

I fully expect that you'll be right, and whatever Federal judge has the bad luck to draw this case will take one look through the complaint and throw it right back in Digital Homicide's face. The Federal bench has a notorious lack of humor.

Sorcerer

The genuinly sad part about all of this is, that listening to that Sterling x DH interview you actually get the impression that those guys CARE about the games they make. They make fucking awful games but it doesn't seem like they know that they behave like fraudsters. At least that's the impression I got. I think they genuinly believe that they are in the right and that Jim is attacking them for no reason. That they are the victims here. It's really sad if you think about it. I almost pitty them.

To me it seems the opposite, they get very touchy because they are being exposed, but in that interview with Jim their damage control was just awful.

I seriously doubt it will though. Going Pro Se in Federal is dangerous. You have to really know your shit and it's a minefield of deadlines and reports you have to file or you get in trouble. Digital Homicide probably won't follow the scheduling order requirements (or not even know what to do with them) and the judge will use that as an excuse to dismiss it and have one less shitty case on his docket to worry about. They really made a mistake going into Federal Court.

As a pro photographer with some experience with federal court cases (all copyright matters are a federal case in the USA, unfortunately,) I can confirm this to be true. I've seen cases rack up a hundred grand in expenses for the plaintiff before discovery was over in "slam-dunk" cases of copyright violation that shouldn't take more than an hour or two in court. No joke. That's why photographers, musicians, filmmakers, and writers (and their various trade orgs) have been trying to get some sort of "small claims" copyright legislation pushed through the halls of the US capital for years now. The federal courts are a bear to deal with.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm not a fan of Jim Sterling, personally, I find him kind of obnoxious, but I hope he crushes these guys. This is just stupid. Hopefully the case gets dropped. Digital Homicide (I've actually never heard of them), sound like a bunch of loons/tools. Good luck, Jim, but I honestly don't think you're going to need it. These guys have no leg to stand on.

Probably money from lost sales from a sixth game they decided they could have "made" during the time it took to add the amounts up.

Ha!

Haha, nothing like shitty math in a claim.

Yeah, just a cursory glance should've shown that wasn't right.

Woops. Haha shows me for not looking closer! XD I wouldn't have expected the millions range to be off, just noticed the thousands were off. I'm not filing a lawsuit though, you'd think someone who was would at least at up the total with a calculator to double check.

You're right. I should've maybe actually looked at the numbers before making a shitty joke because the actuality is funnier.

I guess we both couldn't believe that they were missing that much so it was easier to see it as a smaller error.

From wherever that $1M disappeared to. Heh, maybe that accidentally subtracted their lawyer's retainer?

Though they are self-representing, right? I don't think a lawyer would have made such a mistake.

Save your sympathy by using basic logic. They have 18 games on Steam Greenlight. If they actually cared, they couldn't possibly believe they could churn out that many games at a time.

Look at how real indy devs, who really care, work, and how long it takes for them to make just one game. Save your sympathy for developers who deserve it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Save your sympathy by using basic logic. They have 18 games on Steam Greenlight. If they actually cared, they couldn't possibly believe they could churn out that many games at a time.

Look at how real indy devs, who really care, work, and how long it takes for them to make just one game. Save your sympathy for developers who deserve it.

I'm not sympathetic to them at all, don't worry.

Xander51

Wow. This is amazing. So glad I stumbled into this thread. What a...fascinating story. Although I can respect passionate developers, part of personal growth is knowing where you can improve, and not just defending your mistakes all the way into federal court.

Wow. This is amazing. So glad I stumbled into this thread. What a...fascinating story. Although I can respect passionate developers, part of personal growth is knowing where you can improve, and not just defending your mistakes all the way into federal court.

I'd be really surprised if this made it to Federal Court

They are suing him in the US? Aren't UK laws more conducive to this sort of fuckery?

The US is a difficult jurisdiction for libel suits. That said, I doubt DH have any legal presence in the UK, and who knows how much of Jim's assets (if any) are still under UK jurisdiction

patchday

Lol! I actually saw Jim's review of The Slaughtering Grounds (or rather his rehash of this debacle) many many months ago. Yeah... cant believe this has escalated even more since then.

It would in the UK, if it were there (is it?).

UK libel laws are very backwards.

They are suing him in the US? Aren't UK laws more conducive to this sort of fuckery?

Filing is in Arizona, USA. Jim is also in the USA; people seem to think he still lives in the UK for some reason.

I love the 1k hours = 800k XD I did the math factoring in 8 hour work days, five days a week, no breaks ever, these fuckers are claiming they earn just over 1.6 MILLION a year!!!

And yet continue to claim they're barely making a living.

RevenWolf

I love the 1k hours = 800k XD I did the math factoring in 8 hour work days, five days a week, no breaks ever, these fuckers are claiming they earn just over 1.6 MILLION a year!!!

foltzie1

Completely ad hominem, but looking at their house on Google Street View I challenge the math unless they have a gambling problem.

James93

This actually is a huge deal if it goes anywhere.
Its actually fairly important in general as its going to set a precedent for this weird area.

This actually is a huge deal if it goes anywhere.
Its actually fairly important in general as its going to set a precedent for this weird area.

Not really. The case is frivolous and will most likely get dismissed due to Digihom's own incompetence, so there's not going to be any ruling to take precedence. Just wait and see.

It's not a very unique case either, people get sued for stupid shit like this all the time. It may be unique to us in the fact that it involves an internet personality in our community but those elements aren't unique enough to set a precedent. If by some miracle it actually goes to trial it'll be decided like any other libel case. Frivolous cases are run of the mill for courtrooms across the country every day.

Hahah how do you even send a pile of shit through the post, surely the smell alone would ring alarm bells at the post office? Some people on the internet are crazy lol. Must've dropped it off in person ;o)

neshcom

Banned
This got me to relisten to the skype interview.

With as potentially important as this case could be, I almost wonder if someone would put up the money for DH just to get this to go to court and set a precedent.

With as potentially important as this case could be, I almost wonder if someone would put up the money for DH just to get this to go to court and set a precedent.

There's really no precedent here. It's someone angrily taking another person to court over internet commentary.

tebunker

Banned

God bless the Dunning Kruger effect

http://mindhacks.com/2010/02/11/the-burglar-with-the-lemon-juice-disguise/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367

bender

What time is it?
II'm really excited to see what happens! Federal Court judges are no fuckin joke, they have no time for this bullshit. Most judges tend to be nice to Pro Se litigants because they don't want to look bad in the public eye. But it's harder to find a federal judge like that because they're appointed for life so they don't have to put on a good face for anybody. I want to see what the judge tells them! I'm not too far from Arizona, if this really drags out maybe I can go watch!!

I seriously doubt it will though. Going Pro Se in Federal is dangerous. You have to really know your shit and it's a minefield of deadlines and reports you have to file or you get in trouble. Digital Homicide probably won't follow the scheduling order requirements (or not even know what to do with them) and the judge will use that as an excuse to dismiss it and have one less shitty case on his docket to worry about. They really made a mistake going into Federal Court.

Thanks for the write-up. I wonder if Jim can counter-sue to recoup legal fees he will incur to defend himself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uhhhh.....should that really be getting posted here? I mean it's got his address and phone number on there. Is that kind of information really made public knowledge when someone files a lawsuit in the US?

Also, $10,761,000?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
JPPs9Yp.jpg
Nothing like bad math in your legal claim, LOL

What a joke.

I mean, I feel bad that these guys are being harassed, but taking it out in a lawsuit against Jim makes no sense. It's not like he's ever sicced his subscribers on these guys. Some people just don't know how to hold that L and just let it go, I guess.

Top Bottom