• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad_Ban

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's not the question of whether his analysis is correct, it's the question of how representative those images are of the actual final build of the game. Square Enix has messed up with the last batch of images (the identical PS3 and 360 versions), and these are not perfect either (visible mouse cursor in one of the shots, for instance). I guess we won't know for sure until someone like Digital Foundry gets its hands on the playable 360 code.
MazingerDUDE is from Digital Foundry. :p

However I do agree that we should wait until we get some more shots before finally damning SE into Purgatory.

Take this for what it's worth, but I got a chance to play FF13 during their bus tour in San Fran where they had four TVs, all Samsungs, running 2 on 360 and 2 on PS3. IMO the overall image quality looked on par, but the colors jumped out at me way more on the PS3 version. The 360 version just looked washed out in comparison. They both looked about the same in terms of resolution and jaggies, though.

miladesn said:
So the embargo date is the next Monday?

No, what I mean is it should be here by next monday, maybe I can clear up the confusion with the resolution and quality before the embargo date without breaking it.

Synless

APZonerunner said:
No, what I mean is it should be here by next monday, maybe I can clear up the confusion with the resolution and quality before the embargo date without breaking it.
I think the only way that will happen is if you hand off some pics to someone who looks at pixels all day or count them yourself. I believe you would be breaking embargo by doing either to be honest.

gkryhewy

Synless said:
I think the only way that will happen is if you hand off some pics to someone who looks at pixels all day or count them yourself. I believe you would be breaking NPD by doing either to be honest.

:lol :lol

manzo

Wow if those shots are real. This will be the first time I'm ever buying a multi-plat release on PS3 because it's truly superior.

PS3 version for me it is.

I thought everyone knew the ps3 version would be superior. It was always designed/optimized for the ps3 and then 3 quarters in development decided to port it to the 360 as well. It was never meant to be a multiplatform game. It's almost like the difference between RE4 gamecube compared to ps2 version. I don't know what goombas were expecting an identical game.

chris0701

The cut-scene screenshots from the latest batch of "360 pictures" are 1024*576 too?

It doesn't looks bad as gameplay ones.

Maybe somebody just released 1024*576 gameplay 360 shots(for hiding aliasing/flat texture sake),but lazy SE pr department terribly resize them to 1280x720 at all.

You gotta be kidding, everyone is still bitching over the batch of fuzzy pictures that featured mouse pointers and possibly screengrabbed over a low-res movie? For one, the textures don't match up with the latest X10 builds as I already pointed out and two, if the game was that fuzzy and sub-HD I think it would have been reported by now. Not to mention the back of the box mentions 720p to 1080 resolutions. So much drama...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
riceandbeans said:
Not to mention the back of the box mentions 720p to 1080 resolutions. So much drama...

The back of the box refers to output resolution. All 360 games output 720p.

This thread is discussing the game's internal resolution, which appears to be 1024x576 on the 360 version. Star Ocean 4 outputs 720p on the 360, but the internal resolution is 960x510 (closer to SD than HD). Halo 3, CoD4, and many other games all have sub-HD internal resolutions.

Please don't bitch people out when you don't even know what they're referring to.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
riceandbeans said:
You gotta be kidding, everyone is still bitching over the batch of fuzzy pictures that featured mouse pointers and possibly screengrabbed over a low-res movie? For one, the textures don't match up with the latest X10 builds as I already pointed out and two, if the game was that fuzzy and sub-HD I think it would have been reported by now. Not to mention the back of the box mentions 720p to 1080 resolutions. So much drama...

logo_halo3.jpg

Just kidding, Or am i?

Again, the top selling game on each platform has a sub-HD internal resolution. I don't think most people are that bothered by it (especially since half of them are still using RCA A/V cables to hook up to their HDTVs).

Ponn

Banned
Seda said:
Yeah, most people don't know anything about resolution anyways.
Working at Best Buy
, I have people asking ALL THE TIME: "Does this TV have 1080 pixels?"

Please for the love of god tell me you say with a very serious look and your chest pumped out

"No...this has 1081 pixels!!"

defferoo

Seda said:
Yeah, most people don't know anything about resolution anyways.
Working at Best Buy
, I have people asking ALL THE TIME: "Does this TV have 1080 pixels?"

or you could tell them it has 2,073,600 pixels just to confuse them.

Zinga

Banned
I hope this game gets a PC Port just because I think it would be amazing playing it at 1920x1080, loved playing FF7 and FF8 on PC back in the day :D

Danj

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, since Search is disabled and Google doesn't show up any results for it, but apparently there's going to be an official UK launch event for FFXIII, at HMV in London. There's more details at MCV. I was just wondering if it's worth going to events like this? And if so, when would be the best time to turn up to get in the queue?

h3ro

riceandbeans said:
Not to mention the back of the box mentions 720p to 1080 resolutions. So much drama...

:lol

YES.

Anyway, seems like the scaling isn't just in place for battle as it was in Star Ocean. Those screens of the Cristarium grid look to be scaled as well. As long as the build is solid, with a stable framerate and no glaring issues (such as Bayonetta had), then people who only have 360s shouldn't worry. If you're into the game, play the game. Stop worrying about a version that you weren't going to get anyway.

burgerdog

DMPrince said:
those images look like shit.

That fuzzy look makes the IQ so bad. Too bad for SE, I was considering getting the 360(would play it on ps3, of course) version as well if they did a good job on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think people really underestimate the effects of "lead platform." Teams that put out games that are "close" work really, really hard.

duckroll

The evidence does seem to be piling that the 360 port does not look as close as it be to the PS3 version considering all the talk about Crystal Tools being multiplatform.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I wonder how much this game will trade in for on day one?

I want the 360 bundle (for the 250GB HD and stuff) but with the way things are turning out I'd rather get the PS3 version of the game.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
duckroll said:
The evidence does seem to be piling that the 360 port does not look as close as it be to the PS3 version considering all the talk about Crystal Tools being multiplatform.

Looks like that was BS talk. Btw, isn't SE a UE3 licensee? 5$ they dumped the assets on the UE3 and had an intern fix the rough corners here and there to produce the port.

Y2Kev said:
I think people really underestimate the effects of "lead platform." Teams that put out games that are "close" work really, really hard.

But you would expect a huge company like SE to put as much effort on their flagship franchise on both platforms.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duckroll said:

Kitase DID say they had to build a separate engine (part of the engine?) to get the 360 version working.

Robot 492

Banned
Just got back from pre-ordering this game at GameStop.

I guess the pre-order "bonus" is supposed to make me want to buy the full guide.

dorz1d.gif
e00b5z.gif

Lol.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Yeah. This isn't really a big deal that one looks better than the other, it just finally puts to rest this notion that any system is 'hard to develop for', when the statement should have been 'porting an engine from one platform to another is hard'.

Oh well... It looks playable on both platforms, so no one should be unhappy with this game... It's definitely not a bayonetta. :lol

expy

Banned
Kagari said:
Kitase DID say they had to build a separate engine (part of the engine?) to get the 360 version working.
Makes sense, I would guess that even though it's a multi-platform engine, they probably optimized all the code to work with the PS3 (before it got ported).

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah. This isn't really a big deal that one looks better than the other, it just finally puts to rest this notion that any system is 'hard to develop for', when the statement should have been 'porting an engine from one platform to another is hard'.

Oh well... It looks playable on both platforms, so no one should be unhappy with this game... It's definitely not a bayonetta. :lol

Seems to be more of a Ghostbusters debacle than a Bayonetta. Except Ghostbusters was PS3 lead platform and was worse but still playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom