• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

miladesn said:
I just watched the Leona Lewis video again, that footage is definitely from 360 because you can actually see the back of the TV and cables, ground texture is definitely not like the in the messy shots released.

here skip to 00:22 , watch in HD.

How do you notice the textures on an sd video where the off screen footage is so washed out? And the "gameplay"footage looks exactly like the b-roll video SE released to the press. Judging from that, the game should play fine on either console so you guys shouldn't get all bent out of shape from it. Especially when the textures in that scene on PS3 are crap to begin with. :D

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
miladesn said:
I just watched the Leona Lewis video again, that footage is definitely from 360 because you can actually see the back of the TV and cables, ground texture is definitely not like the in the messy shots released.

here skip to 00:22 , watch in HD.
GTFO :lol
it's a video, they could make it look like the 360 is playing Uncharted 2 if they like, yes with the back of the TV, cables & shit:lol

Pooya

ZeroRay said:
How do you notice the textures on an sd video where the off screen footage is so washed out?
There is an HD version.

ZeroRay said:
And the "gameplay"footage looks exactly like the b-roll video SE released to the press.
no it's not like the released video.
ZeroRay said:
Especially when the textures in that scene on PS3 are crap to begin with. :D
You can see the grass at least, in the shot above ground is a green mess, you don't need direct feed to tell the difference here.
ZeroRay said:
Judging from that, the game should play fine on either console so you guys shouldn't get all bent out of shape from it.
right, I can't believe I'm doing this stupid shit , I stop here.

EDIT: if the ps3 leona video is the same , then forget about this, I haven't seen the ps3 leona video, sorry

Vamphuntr said:
You're comparing screenshots of ''in the field'' and ''in battle''. The game might use different set of textures in and out of battles.

They're the same from what I could tell. I'm done with comparing, March 9th is only a couple weeks away and the 360 version is on par with the PS3 version. Haters gon hate.

FuturusX

riceandbeans said:
On another note, why is it that the fans have to do Square's job of showing off that the 360 version is on par? Yeesh....

riceandbeans said:
They're the same from what I could tell. I'm done with comparing, March 9th is only a couple weeks away and the 360 version is on par with the PS3 version. Haters gon hate.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

riceandbeans said:
Pointing out weaker version of a multiplat title does not mean there's hate going on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I'll be keeping my eye on the 360 version. Correct me if I am wrong, but 5 DVDs, yes?

Anyways, there seemed to be a lot of talk going on about Square has gone too far in changing the classic FF formula... especially in terms of linearity. Is it really as bad as a lot of people make them appear to be?

How many hours can be expected from a normal playthrough? Does this game has good replay value or not?

Any answers would be appreciated.

danwarb

hamchan said:
Yep.

Also, didn't we all expect the 360 version to look worse? Maybe not this bad but I definitely expected a lower quality.
The FMV definitely, but not the gameplay or even the real-time cinematics. Game seems relatively simple.

On a plus side it looks like there's at least some AA in those messy captures.

expy

Banned
Honestly, even if you get the "worse version", does it really matter? You probably got it because it was:
1. Your only option
2. Your only option
3. Your only option
4. Your only option
5. Your only option
And besides, unless you buy both and compare them side to side, you will NEVER know how much better or worse your version is to the other.

Ballistictiger said:
It's not the first time GT have made this mistake. I think the game was Grid.

Unless Square Enix messed up on the b-roll they sent out, the footage in that interview marked as XBox 360 is from the 360 version.

expy

Banned
TSA said:
Unless Square Enix messed up on the b-roll they sent out or sent them bullshots, or sent them edited footage, or... , the footage in that interview marked as XBox 360 is from the 360 version.

:D

MazingerDUDE said:
FF13_360_res.jpg

(* PS3 version's running at 1280 x 720 2 x MSAA in case you didn't know)

FF13_lighting_PS3.jpg

FF13_lighting_360.jpg

Resolution isn't the only thing that took a hit. PS3 shot has better lighting too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So maybe Leona Lewis was just mashing random buttons while the hooked up systems were just playing a high quality video of the gameplay...

ULTROS! said:
So maybe Leona Lewis was just mashing random buttons while the hooked up systems were just playing a high quality video of the gameplay...

I thought that was pretty obvious from the beginning. Canned gameplay from whereever just being played on screen and Ms Lewis miming playing with whatever wireless controller they handed her for that shot. Set a 360 or PS3 not actually connected to the TV on the table and presto, your perfectly controlled commercial shoot. Why anyone would have thought this commercial was irrefutably indicative of 360 gameplay is beyond me.

RpgN

Laughing Banana said:
So I'll be keeping my eye on the 360 version. Correct me if I am wrong, but 5 DVDs, yes?

Anyways, there seemed to be a lot of talk going on about Square has gone too far in changing the classic FF formula... especially in terms of linearity. Is it really as bad as a lot of people make them appear to be?

How many hours can be expected from a normal playthrough? Does this game has good replay value or not?

Any answers would be appreciated.

1. Just like mentioned before, it will be on 3 DVDs. The 5 DVDs where just rumours and joking around in the past.

2. Linearity? It's pretty bad, for 2/3 of the game at least. You can't go back to older areas and often times you have a straight line. But then things start to get more interesting in chapter 6 and chapter 4 was pretty varied too. If you can't handle it then it will turn you off. I personally still enjoyed and loved what I've played of the game despite wanting some more freedom. As for the game itself, it's not really different from others FF games, it's just making certain RPG elements streamlined. Like there not being shops you can go to but rather have them on a save point. There are no towns to speak of in a traditional sense, you have people and towns but because of the story you will fight there as well. And you don't go to NPCs and speak with them by pressing the x button but just when you're around them they say something. These kind of changes give some fans the feeling that it's not like the FF games or RPGs for that matter.

3. If you try to clear the main story only it can take you between 40-60 hours depending on how you play. After you finish the game, you can continue with your save. It is said that new missions/areas open up and some cutscenes will be revealed to flash out more of the characters on side missions (=not sure exactly how this works). It has 60+ extra missions that resemble FFXII.

Suzzopher said:
Didn't people say that the 360 version looked better?

Depend on who you talk to.

Common folks (a couple pages back) said PS3 looks better.
Gamespot say PS3's cut scenes are better, but gameplay better on 360.
IGN say PS3 version is better than 360.
1up say they can't tell a difference.
Nowgamer says PS3 version is better.

I say SE been lying to everyone and we won't know till 3/9/2010 (or whenever review embargo ends).

careful

The "japanese culture expert" guy must be having a massive erection looking at those screens. The ultimate sacrifice. Make pretend an alliance with those Western people to stab them in the back with a craptastic port. :lol

I can understand some small visual downgrades from doing a port, but those shots look completely off. There's no way it really looks like that.

Suzzopher

Eternal Sleeper said:
Depend on who you talk to.

Common folks (a couple pages back) said PS3 looks better.
Gamespot say PS3's cut scenes are better, but gameplay better on 360.
IGN say PS3 version is better than 360.
1up say they can't tell a difference.
Nowgamer says PS3 version is better.

I say SE been lying to everyone and we won't know till 3/9/2010 (or whenever review embargo ends).

Those pics on this page make it look the Bayonetta situation in reverse. But then you hear people saying 360 looks crisper or they look 100% the same etc. So confusing on who/what to believe.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I just noticed that in the link I posted earlier the titles are chaotic:

Link: "http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2526/ffxiii-significantly-poorer-on-xbox"
Post title: "FFXIII Slightly Worse on Xbox 360"

Make up your mind!:D

Khrno

RpgN said:
some cutscenes will be revealed to flash out more of the characters on side missions (=not sure exactly how this works). .

You get to point X, then cutscene plays and shows something about the place and a little conversation between some characters.

Ponn

Banned
I'm going to go with my own tried and true philosophy that if GAF starts whipping out screenshots with things circled to prove a difference in games then us regular human beings that don't count FPS or pixels aren't going to be able to tell a damn difference between the two.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
C'mon! It's obvious the issue is the capture card and not the game. It can't look THAT bad. I mean, look at the edges, the hair...

dramatis

Call it schadenfreude, but SE PR and this thread have been intensely entertaining :lol

Although, at this point, the PR team might be looking for new jobs soon.

danwarb

Arpharmd B said:
Resolution isn't the only thing that took a hit. PS3 shot has better lighting too.
That really isn't apparent in any of the screenshot comparisons.

If this is definitely the 360 version, then they've had more trouble than simply avoid tiling, given the super low resolution, and only 2xmsaa. If it runs well enough that's something, but still probably the worst port of all time.

Suzzopher

danwarb said:

If this is definitely the 360 version, then they've had more trouble than simply avoid tiling, given the super low resolution, and only 2xmsaa. If it runs well enough that's something, but still probably the worst port of all time.

Worse than Bayonetta on PS3 or Metal Arms on PS2?

danwarb

I didn't pay much attention to Beyonetta.

Actually, there have been loads of equally awful or worse ports this generation, but none are as high-profile as FFXIII.

The graphics will probably be pretty much identical...difference being negligible unless you play them side by side.

If you have both get ps3, if you only have a 360 get that version. if you are ambivalent about the game rent it and see if it has the ff magic.

SuperÑ said:
C'mon! It's obvious the issue is the capture card and not the game. It can't look THAT bad. I mean, look at the edges, the hair...

If this shot (http://www.mazingerdude.com/FF13_360_res.jpg) really is genuine, it is definitely up scaled. It doesn't matter what capture system they used, or how terrible the image compression they used is. If you can see the stair stepping, you can tell what the original rendering resolution was.

The hair looks as expected for a 1024x576 up scaled image with that dithering technique they are using for faking transparency.

danwarb said:
The naff looking transparencies are also in PS3 shots, but not quite as noticeable.

Well because the PS3 version is 1280x720 and according to this screen shot the 360 is 1024x576 . Basically 1/3 less pixels. 921600 pixels vs 589824 pixels. So each pixel in the dithering just looks bigger/uglier on the 360 version.

Really I think it was a terrible idea to keep the dithering approach on the 360 version for transparency. 360 probably could have handled regular alpha blending. Especially at that lower resolution.

if the hud is 720p on those captures then the pixel counters are probably correct and for me that means i can cancel my preorder and save some cash next month :)

Synless

WickedLaharl said:
if the hud is 720p on those captures then the pixel counters are probably correct and for me that means i can cancel my preorder and save some cash next month :)
For some reason I thought you had a PS3. I guess not.

Synless

danwarb said:

Not worse than Bayonetta and the more horrific Splinter Cell: DA on the PS3.

danwarb

nelsonroyale said:
The graphics will probably be pretty much identical...difference being negligible unless you play them side by side.

If you have both get ps3, if you only have a 360 get that version. if you are ambivalent about the game rent it and see if it has the ff magic.
You're right. This is the same image quality as CoD4 and Haze, lol. Looks worse by comparison than on its own in motion.

So this is kind've embarrasing for MS after all the hype... how come they spent millions on marketing and nothing on helping with the port?

You suck at logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom