• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

V1AKqU4.jpg

So I was getting ready for a shooting game event at a local game store and I decided to snap these pics of my boys. I think they will inherit the soul of Takahashi Meijin now that they've touched the carts.

sphinx

the piano man
Pretty cool thing about an insert that came with StarTropics.

https://youtu.be/Bnw0SiVO9lQ?t=5m55s

New to me :)

it was a horrifying nightmare for me.

I rented the game at a local movies&games store and they had no booklets or anything else with their games.

I LOVED the game, reached the part with the frequency, realized how screwed up I was, I went running to the store and asked if they by chance had the booklet or something, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I came back home and started from scratch inputting every possible code

until I reached... 747

and I managed to play the game til completion, it sure was a hassle...but ever since then I use that code for my baggage locks ^_^

shanafan

I rented the game at a local movies&games store and they had no booklets or anything else with their games.

I LOVED the game, reached the part with the frequency, realized how screwed up I was, I went running to the store and asked if they by chance had the booklet or something, they had no idea what I was talking about.

until I reached... 747

and I managed to play the game til completion, it sure was a hassle...but ever since then I use that code for my baggage locks ^_^

WOW.

You didn't call the Nintendo Hotline though? ;)

I used to call them all the time asking if NBA Jam was coming to SNES. They eventually told me to stop calling, lol. I was a kid, ah well.

sphinx

the piano man
Haha, props on the dedication there. Amazing to think about how much free time we had as kids.

I think I did 000 to 299 and then went 999 to 700 so it didn't take that much time.

now that I think about it, there are worse grinds in RPGs these days.

unlocking some trophies/achievements takes longer than figuring out this code.

thank god it was 3 digit, 4 digits and I would have given up.

WOW.

You didn't call the Nintendo Hotline though? ;)

I used to call them all the time asking if NBA Jam was coming to SNES. They eventually told me to stop calling, lol. I was a kid, ah well.

it didn't occur to me :p

and I was too shy. Talking to strangers over the phone to ask for tips on how to pass video games would have sounded like a bad idea back then.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

until I reached... 747

Haha, great story, I love to hear about stuff like this.

Yeah, come to think of it, Destiny or Candy Crush are probably worse than that...

Indeed.

bearbytes

I just picked up a copy of Bionic Commando. I've played it and seen the cart before but I've never really thought about this... What's up with the blue label? As far as I know, Bionic Commando and 1943 are the only US Capcom NES titles that don't fall into either the older "laser beam" themed design or the newer "purple frame" design.

According to Wikipedia, Gun.Smoke was the last "laser beam" label in February 1988. The next Capcom game was Legendary Wings in October 1998, which had the "Purple" label. Then came 1943 with the "Blue" label, then Mickey Mousecapades (Purple), Then Bionic Commando (Blue). After that it was all Purple.

I'm guessing they were going to switch the Blue design, but ended up going Purple instead, after the artwork for 1943 and Bionic Commando were already finalized?

WsEWm50.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member

until I reached... 747

Haha, I worked on Nintendo Hotline and I still remember the number today.

OnPoint

This Startropics thing would have driven me nuts if I sat down to play it and didn't know about it.

Does Zoda's Revenge have anything similar?

I'm guessing they were going to switch the Blue design, but ended up going Purple instead, after the artwork for 1943 and Bionic Commando were already finalized?

That's a solid assumption. Also, those two games are arcade ports. But it's not like they're the only arcade games in the Capcom lineup...

bearbytes

That's a solid assumption. Also, those two games are arcade ports. But it's not like they're the only arcade games in the Capcom lineup...
Yeah at first I thought it could an arcade port thing, but as you said Capcom put out other arcade games, including Gun.Smoke and Legendary Wings.

BTails

Yesterday my Analogue NT finally arrived in the mail! The HDMI upgrade is absolutely amazing, definitely the way to go if you want to play on original hardware on an HDTV, in my opinion.

I played a bunch of Batman last night, man that game kicks. Love the music and the control is extremely tight! When you hit a run of amazing jumps/wall jumps, you really feel like Batman. Ended up getting to the end of Stage 3, but I forgot the best strategy to take down the boss (Guy who shoots the tall energy beams). Looking forward to playing more tonight!

hey guys,
i don't even have a NES yet but i picked a few titles at lunch:
blaster master was 7.99
dr. mario 5.99
and TMNT was 7.99

i hope i didn't get ripped off... i'll try and get a NES plus get RGB mod or whatever option is best.
so far, i'm working on doing the RGB mod for my snes mini while messing w/ the Sony BVM w/ genesis and non 1chip snes RGB'd currently.
hope to join you guys soon.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

I hope everyone enjoyed The Guardian Legend in the month of March,
but it's April, so fools or not, get ready to try your hands at
Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight!!! Get ready to rumble!​

B2bNURv.png

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight is a side-scroller released by Capcom
toward the end of the NES lifecycle. Despite the name, it's not related to either of the
famous series' it calls out to, though apparently the English localization might suggest
otherwise by renaming the protagonist "Ken", from "Kevin".

As for the gameplay? I haven't played it. But Wikipedia says:
"Like most side-scrolling action games, the player uses one button to attack and the
other to jump. Ken can also climb walls and poles or pole-like structures, as well as hang
onto and climb (or drop down from) certain kinds of ledges. In addition to his regular
jump, Ken can also do a backward flip jump by doing a neutral upward jump and then
pressing the directional pad on the opposite direction he's facing. Ken's main weapon is
an energy projectile which he launches with his fists. Ken can shoot straight at either direction
horizontally, as well as upward vertically by holding the d-pad upwards. Ken can
launch curved power shots by holding the d-pad left or right and pressing the B button,
which have further reach and are more powerful than the regular shots. Ken can also
launch his projectiles with his kicks by holding the d-pad downward and pressing B,
which will travel upward diagonally. To shoot downwards, Ken must do a flip jump first
and then B while still in mid-air"​

I expect I'll have a lot more of my own to say about the game after this month!​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

Turned out Street FIghter 2010 and Wrecking crew ended up tied, so we had to
think quickly and come up with a tie breaking procedure. We selected the game that
has, on average, the cheapest price. Going forward, that's how we'll do things.

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).
The first five games suggested that have not yet been played, and were not
nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015

I've played Super C on the virtual console, so I decided to go out and buy the original Contra.

Since Konami doesn't seem to want to port it anywhere. It's a ton of fun and looks surprisingly good even on Component.

Definitely glad I purchased it, despite being a little pricy.

-KRS-

I've played Super C on the virtual console, so I decided to go out and buy the original Contra.

Since Konami doesn't seem to want to port it anywhere. It's a ton of fun and looks surprisingly good even on Component.

Yeah it's one of the essential games on the NES imo. And that's exactly why it's so expensive despite selling really well, and will probably only get more and more expensive. So it's good that you grabbed it now. :)

ultimos

Neo Member
Yeah it's one of the essential games on the NES imo. And that's exactly why it's so expensive despite selling really well, and will probably only get more and more expensive. So it's good that you grabbed it now. :)

Contra's going rate makes me think that there must not have been quite as many copies out there as one would think. Certainly not rare by any means, but it's interesting to me that it goes for quite a bit more than other games that I would consider equally essential, like Mega Man 2/3 or Punch Out. In fact, if you sort the VGPC by popularity, it's the most expensive cart for quite a ways down.

I'd love so much to have a list of the amount of carts sold for every NES game.

Yes that is partially the reason I got it. It was either it or Punch Out, but I already have that on virtual console and Contra's price seems to be going up a lot recently.

D.Lo

If you think the US version of Contra is expensive, don't even think about getting a CIB Japanese copy. It is relatively rare, and because it's the superior version it's in demand worldwide.

b3b0p

This reminded me that I recently found out Super C and Contra are unlockables on Contra 4.

If you think the US version of Contra is expensive, don't even think about getting a CIB Japanese copy. It is relatively rare, and because it's the superior version it's in demand worldwide.

Ha, I know better about getting CIB anything.

Just getting loose carts is expensive enough for me. My wallet would be dry if I went out looking to start a CIB collection.

D.Lo

This reminded me that I recently found out Super C and Contra are unlockables on Contra 4.
Pretty crappy emulation though, and it's the US version of Contra.

Contra 4 is a great album too, well worth playing. Feels like an SNES followup to Contra 3.
Indeed, that's why it's called Contra 4 ;) It's finally a return to the classic Contra gameplay after every spin-off game in-between messed around with that formula with gimmicks.

I really need to get this now that I have a Famicom. No CIB for me, though. Just the cart.

Another game ticked off my Famicom backlog today - Trojan (Tatakai no Banka). I've recently been playing through the arcade version of the game and while I've quickly become quite a big fan of the game it is still a little rough round the edges, so I was looking forward to seeing if the Famicom port fixed any of my issues with the game.

The good news is, they did a great job porting the game and especially tightening up the combat. Collision detection is better, no longer does it seem like your attacks hit thin air. Action seems to be slowed down just a tad, so combat isn't so messy either (that coupled with the superior collision detection really helped me through some of the harder parts of the game).

Other little bits I preferred over the arcade version - the first boss seems to have been retooled slightly to have rocket punches where the attacks fly around like a boomerang. It makes him far easier to defeat while still providing a decent challenge.

The armidillo mid boss of stage 2 has been tweaked oh so slightly so he always rolls in the same direction once hit, making him far easier to predict in terms of attacks.

The third boss (Trojan) is much easier to battle fairly, I actually have a strategy beyond leaping in and hitting his shins really quickly.

The 5th level is retooled so its half the length and you only fight one guy with a club and one cyborg dude. Makes it much more bearable.

The final boss is way easier to fight fairly, he's a pushover when you know how to damage him, but he's still dangerous if you screw up as he can kill you in two hits.

All round I'd say the Famicom version is better than the arcade version. Tightening up several parts of the game makes it far more fun to play. I've gotten Legendary Wings to play next on the NES (no Famicom version unfortunately), I'm not a fan of the arcade version at all and I know the NES version is quite different in places, here's hoping its like Trojan, Gun.Smoke and Bionic Commando in terms of port quality.

NDPsycho

hey guys,
i don't even have a NES yet but i picked a few titles at lunch:

blaster master was 7.99
dr. mario 5.99
and TMNT was 7.99

i hope i didn't get ripped off... i'll try and get a NES plus get RGB mod or whatever option is best.
so far, i'm working on doing the RGB mod for my snes mini while messing w/ the Sony BVM w/ genesis and non 1chip snes RGB'd currently.
hope to join you guys soon.

Blaster Master is pretty fun. Since you're also big into PS1 games you should also check out the sequel there. Sealed copies are cheap so one to play or try out should be really cheap.

Just ordered Power Blade for a decent price. One more of the "big" ones off my list. I still want Gargoyle's Quest 2, Felix the Cat and Metal Storm and then I think I've pretty well got all of the really expensive games I want. Maybe Kick Master? Anyone like that one? I still have a huge want list but after those three the rest are much more reasonably priced as loose carts. (This of course excludes my quest for CIB black box games...)

And I have a neat toy waiting for me at the post office today -- I'll post pics and impressions in the coming days.

OnPoint

I'm noticing a lack of activity over the last month to two months for the Game Club, so I figure I should kind of ask "What's up?" Voting is down, people aren't talking as much about the games as they were when we started (Street Fighter 2010 just kicked off, but literally nothing has been said yet)... if we can do this better, I'd like to try. So what can I/we improve upon to make this more engaging?

I'm not excluded from this, so I'll just say that The Guardian Legend isn't my favorite game and I didn't really sit down to play it, so my participation last month was low. I will be sitting down with Street Fighter at some point this week (maybe tonight?) and I'll be posting some impressions.

Just ordered Power Blade for a decent price. One more of the "big" ones off my list. I still want Gargoyle's Quest 2, Felix the Cat and Metal Storm and then I think I've pretty well got all of the really expensive games I want. Maybe Kick Master? Anyone like that one? I still have a huge want list but after those three the rest are much more reasonably priced as loose carts. (This of course excludes my quest for CIB black box games...)

And I have a neat toy waiting for me at the post office today -- I'll post pics and impressions in the coming days.

Gargoyle's Quest is def on my list now that I've learned the JPN cart is not for me haha That's awesome that you got Power Blade for a decent price though.

BTails

Well, I tried out Street Fighter 2010 (Which I voted for) last night, and only played it for about 5 minutes... Still trying to figure out the controls, which feel very wonky. It was a revelation when I learned how to do the diagonal kick.

Anyone have any tips for beginners? I need to track down a PDF of the manual and read it, methinks.

I'm noticing a lack of activity over the last month to two months for the Game Club, so I figure I should kind of ask "What's up?" Voting is down, people aren't talking as much about the games as they were when we started (Street Fighter 2010 just kicked off, but literally nothing has been said yet)... if we can do this better, I'd like to try. So what can I/we improve upon to make this more engaging?

I'm not excluded from this, so I'll just say that The Guardian Legend isn't my favorite game and I didn't really sit down to play it, so my participation last month was low. I will be sitting down with Street Fighter at some point this week (maybe tonight?) and I'll be posting some impressions.

Gargoyle's Quest is def on my list now that I've learned the JPN cart is not for me haha That's awesome that you got Power Blade for a decent price though.

I've been busy with school and the twins unfortunately. Been wanting to get some game time in and that's just not happening. Hopefully after tomorrow and my test I can relax this weekend.

I think it's the time of year. People are getting busier and busier between now and Memorial Day - then many will have more free time.

I don't own The Guardian Legend and just didn't get a copy. I focused my retro playing time last month on Revenge of Shinobi in the Genesis thread instead. I have SF2010 and will be playing it this month but I have been busy with work and home life so I haven't dug in yet. I have some days off next week and will definitely be playing then.

Top Bottom