• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official EspGaluda II Thread of Gender-Toggling Multiplier Madness

LiK

holy crap Arrange mode is awesome! so hard but so awesome!

btw, i only noticed some slowdown in a few small sections. most of the game runs really smooth. it doesn't seem to have the same slowdown issues as Mushi, sweet :D

issue?

the slowdown in mushihimesama futari was intentional, to mirror the arcade version.

360 could probably natively run the game at several thousand frames per second

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Hot damn, game is shit hot and hard as fuck, a winning combination.

Gamertag: luse666 add me for score comparisons and so you all have someone on the bottom of your leaderboards...

LiK

adversesolutions said:
You're going to be longing for that slowdown by the end of stage 2 man. :lol
Nah I like the normal speed. Ceresa(sp?) is quite fast during her taptap attack. This game also seems to play better with the controller than Mushi, imo. I survived for quite a bit without dying until like the 3rd or 4th stage bosses

LiK

_dementia said:
issue?

the slowdown in mushihimesama futari was intentional, to mirror the arcade version.

360 could probably natively run the game at several thousand frames per second
Really? Wish they had a mode without any slowdown at all. Just to see what it's like

Got mine from VGI.

Haven't tried it yet, will try it later!

Here's a snap of the back of the LE box, which is quite nice;

photo-84.jpg

LiK

epmode said:
So the LE is twice the price purely because of that faceplate and box? Crazy.

and different box art. i also read in another forum that there's a phone card in the game case.

hipgnosis

Okay, I watched a couple of videos of Black Label-mode and sometimes the enemy bullets seems to dodge the player. Why this happens?

andymcc

Banned
got the game today. it's ridiculously hard, runs circles around mushi futari in terms of difficulty. i don't want to say it's Dai-Ou-Jou level hard, but.... :lol

can't wait to invest more time into it.

simtmb

andymcc said:
got the game today. it's ridiculously hard, runs circles around mushi futari in terms of difficulty. i don't want to say it's Dai-Ou-Jou level hard, but.... :lol

I received my copies awhile ago and i probably WOULD put it next to DOJ in difficulty level, but that makes it all the more better :D

But dear god i have absolutely no understanding on the mechanics at play here. Don't even know what I'm doing half the time, but I'm managing! :lol

However, I'm as happy as can be with this despite how big of a change it is from the original. Still was the one CAVE game i was waiting for, and glad we got it!!

Now to read a strategy guide...

andymcc said:

Espgaluda was the hardest of all the sh'mups anyways, this is no exception. :D

andymcc

Banned
red shoe paul said:

i thought the first espgaluda was comparatively easier to most cave stuff, especially if you were just playing for survival.

LiK

i dunno why, but i find this game easier than Mushi for some reason. i guess the whole shield/counterattack thing really saved my butt quite a few times. i also dont have as much of a hard time with the enemy patterns as i did with Mushi

jlevel13

Got my copy today. Never played Espgaluda II before, so I just fooled around in pretty much all the different modes trying to figure stuff out. Overall (depending on the mode) it doesn't seem exceptionally harder than any other CAVE shooter I've played. The Omake mode (even though I didn't quite get what I was doing) seemed the easiest - died on the level 4 boss. Some very nice bullet patterns, though the final boss (one quarter feed run to see everything) seemed kinda boring & repetitive(?).

Two quick questions...

Is there a difference between your regular shot and the rapid shot (a shot vs. d shot) or is it just preference?

Is the arcade mode and the 360 mode basically the same, except for the graphics?

red shoe paul said:

I'd say EPSgaluda is one of the most easy games of the Manic shooters genre.

What's the difference between ordering a shipping box vs an envelope? there was only a dollar difference in cost. I've never ordered a game from play asia.

andymcc said:

It doesn't have multiple difficulty levels, and from what I've seen on youtube, it doesn't approach 1.5 Ultra mode.. especially if you know what you're doing with the bullet cancel/slowdown system.

Someone should write an instruction manual for the game though because it's hardly as pick-up-and-play as Mushihimesama Futari.

shoplifter

gundamzeta209 said:
What's the difference between ordering a shipping box vs an envelope? there was only a dollar difference in cost. I've never ordered a game from play asia.

For one extra dollar you get a box instead of an envelope.

jlevel13

Just watched a replay of the current high score in 360 mode - it helps A LOT with understanding what's going on. It's wonderful to be able to do this inside the game - one of the great additions to this generation of consoles.

Next game I played after watching the replay, I got 4-times my previous high score.

jlevel13

I sort of get what they're trying to do accomplish with the Novice Modes, but they're sooo easy, I really don't understand the point. The least satisfying 1CCs ever! Does anybody paying $80 for the game really want a mode free of any kind of challenge?

Ryn

I hope the game is sitting at home after I get out of this class...gah!

I still can't beat mushi futari, which I played more of yesterday but still dying on stage 4 attempting 1cc. Yeah I suck lol. Oh well its still fun. Can't wait to get wrecked in esp2.

My copy arrived this morning, another triumph for ebay (YesAsia takes forever to deliver to the UK and no matter the shipping method anything I order from PlayAsia gets hit with customs charges) - haven't had much a chance to play it yet, although I credit fed through the X360 and it seems this game is indeed hard as hell. I'm not sure if i've got the gist of the scoring system yet (normal shot gives you green gems which are consumed when you use the alternate shot type, destroying enemies with alternate shot turns enemy bullets into gold ingots and spawns suicide bullets), but even so i've just got my hands full playing for survival - the 2nd level boss is a real challenge and level 3 onwards is just crazy.

gundamzeta209 said:
Is there a downside to getting an envelope?

I've never had any issues but if you have a history of postmen bashing your packages about, or you order something that you want protected, then pay the little bit extra for the box. I pretty much always choose the envelope, IIRC last time I chose the box the postman rang the doorbell as it wouldn't fit through the letter box so if you're going to be out of the house, they may take it back to the depot.

vireland

What's the deal with TATE mode on this? I changed the screen to "sideways right" on the options, but I still get HUGE borders all the way around (actually much worse than the default with borders left and right). This would rock if it were full screen in TATE mode, but as it is, it's really crappy. Am I missing some related option?

BTW, the XBOX360 faceplate is really nice for this. Makes me feel a little better about missing the Blue Dragon one...

vireland said:
What's the deal with TATE mode on this? I changed the screen to "sideways right" on the options, but I still get HUGE borders all the way around (actually much worse than the default with borders left and right). This would rock if it were full screen in TATE mode, but as it is, it's really crappy. Am I missing some related option?

BTW, the XBOX360 faceplate is really nice for this. Makes me feel a little better about missing the Blue Dragon one...

Did you up the zoom to 150% or so?

gunstarhero

Holy crap - i just played this for the first time...and HOLY CRAP. :lol

Love it so far, but I have some learning to do. After about 30 minutes, I started to understand kakusei and the game started clicking with me. This game is awesome.

Might just top Futari for me.

vireland

adversesolutions said:
Did you up the zoom to 150% or so?

Yeah, zoom helped, but it also zoomed the relatively lo-res graphics and still left a sizable bar at the top and bottom of the screen. I guess I was hoping for a closer to full-screen experience like Death Smiles.

gunstarhero

I sort of get what they're trying to do accomplish with the Novice Modes, but they're sooo easy, I really don't understand the point. The least satisfying 1CCs ever! Does anybody paying $80 for the game really want a mode free of any kind of challenge?

Consider it the mode for people who can't devote enough time to the game to get good. :)

Has anybody shut SMOOTHING off in the options? Game looks a lot better.

Kind of disappointed with the score breakdown for each level - Futari did a nice job of breaking it down.

Ok, I'm off to http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6281

gunstarhero said:
Consider it the mode for people who can't devote enough time to the game to get good. :)

Has anybody shut SMOOTHING off in the options? Game looks a lot better.

Kind of disappointed with the score breakdown for each level - Futari did a nice job of breaking it down.

Ok, I'm off to http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6281

Is "smoothing" just for the arcade mode? Couldn't find it in options for the Xbox 360 mode. edit: found it!

Also, what does the option "link rotation" refer to?

And finally (probably not actually), how should I arrange my buttons so that it is like the arcade? I'm using the Hori stick. Thanks!

2yzidzs.jpg

epmode said:
So the LE is twice the price purely because of that faceplate and box? Crazy.

It's not twice the price, unless I'm looking at the wrong LE here. Play Asia has it listed for 110$. Is this not the right LE?

As soon as someone confirms that this is indeed the right one, I'm all over this like white on rice (is that the correct saying?). The perfect way to set off my Japanese 360.

Dwayne

Can anyone do a unboxing photo set for the LE? I don't plan to open mine, will order regular edition sooner or later.

Okay, I think I'm getting the gist of it... someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The whole point is to get that rotating score thingy up to 1000, so that when you kill enemies that have fired shots in Kakusei mode, the bullets turn into this 1000 point score thing (so obviously the higher that point value is, max of 1000, the better). You can only be in Kakusei mode for a limited time, because it takes away your green gems. If you go into Kakusei mode and you don't have any green gems left, all the bullets are red and you don't get awesome points. The laser is less powerful, but you have more control over your character since movement is slower, vs rapid fire is more powerful with less precise control?

Man, this is some awesome stuff!

Bebpo

Banned
Got mine today.

The final part of the last boss where you can't use slow motion or barrier and have to survive a while before you can do damage...IS EVIL OMG :lol

Otherwise I'd played the first few stages in the arcade a bunch of times in the past and dug it and still do. Game gets pretty hard by the stage 3 boss. Espgaluda is my favorite Cave game and I really do love the art style and music of the series. Scoring system (arcade mode) is not as interesting as Futari, Black Label seems better but I only tried it once.

The port is pretty good. It's not as insanely nice as M2's Futari port and arrange mode is nowhere near as super cool as Futari's arrange, but everything works as it should. I actually prefer the graphics in Arcade mode on this. They look too pre-rendered cgish in X360 mode and lose a bit of their pixely charm that Espgaluda 1 had.

With all Cave shmups I need to play the hell out of it to really get a feel for if I like it or not. First impression is that it's not terrible and it didn't jump out as the best game ever. Looking forward to playing it more.

Also what's up with Omake mode? It seemed really easy when I tried it. Almost like novice-mode but not.

Bebpo

Banned
I have a question, I read that shmup.com page and went through normal mode again trying to learn the new scoring system.

So you use normal shot to get gems, kakusei (press B) to get gold along with points, and zesshikkai (hold B) to get more bullets to turn into gold along with points. Esp1 didn't have zesshikkai, right? I remember just going into kakusei for combo.

Anyhow, my question is that when you go into zesshikkai and kill the enemy and their bullets turn into more bullets.....ummmmmmmmmmmm, how do you turn those new bullets into points? Because the original enemy who fired them is dead and usually you cancel bullets into points by killing the original enemy that fired them. So confused! >_<

Also arrange mode is way too hard for me. It'd be one thing if different enemy types fired different bullet colors so you'd switch between shot and rapier to cancel them out depending on the color of a group of bullets released, but with all the big enemies firing weaves of red/blue it's pretty much impossible to get rid of both by switching back and forth, so you just fire on type and dodge the other type and then it's just like normal mode except harder because of the added bullets that may come from the side even in the color you are canceling. I dunno, maybe I'll get better at it, but while I like normal/black label/novice/omake, I'm just not digging arrange atm.

Top Bottom