• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do you think a lion could fuck up a grizzly bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DedValve

Banned
2iIKB.gif

Hidden Fist, Crouching....lion?

Tigress

Define strongest cat? Because I don't think lions are stronger, certainly not because of their mane which is defensive. And their are various species of lions as well that vary in size.

The strongest cat for its body size is the leopard (I thought it was the jaguar but looking it up I read leopard and I vaguely remember something about that). Leopards are cool cause they are like the coyotes of the cat world (They can adapt to humans better than most cats. Scientists say if they were bigger because of this they would be more of a threat to humans than tigers. Only their size makes them less threatening). Though apparently the jaguar has a super strong bite (like 2nd strongest bite of a mammal). Strong enough to go through turtle shells.

Most sites agree that the tiger as a lone creature is the most deadliest of cats (only beaten by lions cause lions hunt in groups). One pointed out they take down prey as big/bigger than them that takes lions a whole pride to take down. And that they do take down bears where they live (though from what I understand the bears aren't as big as grizzlies in that area). Tigers = awesome (and yes I'm very biased. Always loved tigers. Lions honestly are probably one of my least favorite cats but I love all cats :) ).

Also, from that bear size graphic, I didn't realize grizzlies were almost as big as polar bears. Yeah, my vote is on the grizzle for sure then.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
i love all the cat people coming out with "in a natural setting a tiger would have a pretty good chance to take down a grizzly!"

In a natural setting any tiger that isn't a cub would take one look at a full grown grizz and turn right the fuck around and walk away to an easier meal. forced to "naturally" stalk a grizzly and make an attempt the chances of a tiger getting literally torn to bits while making a strike are waaaayyy to close to 100%. Again... a simple swipe from a bear is faster than most people could ever realize and hits like a sledge hammer with 8 inch claws attached followed up by another 5 or 6 swipes in the next 15 seconds.

these fights have been forced before and the Grizzly always ends up costing promoters a pretty penny in lion/tiger/whatever shipments. they are facking. Monsters.

edit: Also yes Hippos are the scariest shit. Like tempermental wrecking balls of hate and teeth.

kswiston

The brown bears that the Siberian/Amur tigers kill are the Ussuri brown bear, which are larger than some of the inland American grizzlys and get pretty close to the size of Kodiak grizzlys/West coast grizzlys.

Tigers aren't hunting huge male brown bears, but they aren't killing tiny dwarf bears either.

Here's a science abstract from a study studying the interaction between bears and tigers in east Russia

In the Russian Far East, the Amur tiger (Panthera tigris altaica), brown bear (Ursus arctos) and Asiatic black bear (U. thibetanus) all share the same habitat. These three species all prefer deciduous and mixed wood forests. In the Sikhote-Alin protected area, the relationship between bears and a tiger were studied during extensive telemetry research in the region. During the non-denning period bears scavenged 16.7% of surveyed tiger kills (n=427). Brown bears scavenged tiger kills 6.7 times more often, than Asiatic black bears. The frequency of autumn scavenging by bears was less than spring (X2 = 8.7, df= 1, p= 0.003) andsummer (X2 = 10.5, df= 1, p= 0.012). In 44.4% of cases the bears scavenged tiger kills only after the tiger had abandoned the kill site. In at least 4 cases (11.1 %) bears displaced tigers from a kill, while in 4 cases both tigers and bears utilized the kill during the same period. Analysis has shown that 2.1% of bears diet is obtained from tiger kills, 1.4% for brown bears and 0.7% from Asiatic black bears. In 44 recorded encounters between tigers and bears, the tiger initiated contact in 12 cases while the bear initiated contact in 8 cases. Of these encounters, 50% resulted in the death of the bear, 27.3% resulted in the death of the tiger and in 22.7% of encounters both animals survived and parted ways. Records of tigers killing Asiatic black bears are unclear. Tigers can prey on denning bears, and the Asiatic black bear have better protected dens then brown bears. Bears often follow tiger tracks through deep snow for ease of movement, to scavenge tiger kills and to potentially prey on tigers. Tigers, brown bears and Asiatic black bears all use the same mark and rub trees.

Tigress

i love all the cat people coming out with "in a natural setting a tiger would have a pretty good chance to take down a grizzly!"

In a natural setting any tiger that isn't a cub would take one look at a full grown grizz and turn right the fuck around and walk away to an easier meal. forced to "naturally" stalk a grizzly and make an attempt the chances of a tiger getting literally torn to bits while making a strike are waaaayyy to close to 100%. Again... a simple swipe from a bear is faster than most people could ever realize and hits like a sledge hammer with 8 inch claws attached followed up by another 5 or 6 swipes in the next 15 seconds. So let the tiger use its advantages which is stealth and good hunting techniques and the bear its advantage of raw power (and ability to stand over the attacker).

these fights have been forced before and the Grizzly always ends up costing promoters a pretty penny in lion/tiger/whatever shipments. they are facking. Monsters.

edit: Also yes Hippos are the scariest shit. Like tempermental wrecking balls of hate and teeth.

Except tigers have been known to hunt bears and we're talking theoretically here which means we could encourage the tiger and the bear to hunt/fight in their own ways rather than do the smart thing and not mess with the thing that can hurt them (I'm talking bears too. Most predators don't want to go after prey that could hurt them even if they'd most likely win. Being injured is not a good thing to be in the wild). So like the tiger's ability to stealth and good hunting techniques cause it is a pure predator and relies on hunting to eat vs. the bear's raw power and ability to stand over its opponent.

And no, we're (ok I'm) not denying that an out and out fight the grizzly would win. But naturally the tiger doesn't play fair and do an out and out fight as they are a natural hunter and will stack the odds in their favor ;) (They stalk and surprise their prey). And they have been known to kill bears (see the post somewhere above mine talking about it). It's kinda like how we're the most dangerous animals cause we do the same thing (stack the odds in our favor) ;). Tigers and bears have a lot more to fear from us than vice versa (look how badly the tiger is doing as a species cause of us :( :( :( ). And one of us against one of them if you don't let us use our advantage is definitely going to have us die.

Anyways, I acknowledge the bear overall is the more fearsome to come across (even with techniques I'm sure they're not easy prey for tigers and as above post points out, the tiger doesn't always survive/win). And I've said before, you don't want to mess with any animal that can take on a tiger ;) (I was referring to grizzly bears when I was in Yellowstone). I think it's pretty impressive that tigers can actually take on bears sometimes honestly (especially given the power difference).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
no fucks given
82vSTzo.gif

The lions look young, so it looks more like they're playhunting rather than anything else.

And lions - like every carnivore predator - are opportunistic in nature. They're not going to waste their energy going after big-ass shit like this when some defenceless gazelle with a pulled hamstring is in the next field.

I also got charged by a rhino on foot. I've never run so fast in my entire life. I was in Kruger National Park

I got chased by a bull when walking through a farmer's field when I was 10 and it is easily the scariest memory I have. A rhino? Godamn.

Diabelli

A bear's attack is just far more ferocious. That thing will charge you head on like a tank, use its indomitable strength to wrestle you to the ground and then shake the living fuck out of you with its gnarly teeth, tearing all kinds of flesh and bone. A lion tends to use its claws more, and will try to go for the neck. But with the way a grizzly is built, with its high shoulders and low hanging head and all that fur, getting that killer blow is harder for the lion than the bear just rolling the lion over and fucking it up. In a caged arena, where the lion has nowhere to run, it's dead meat 9 times out of 10.

Edit - I mean, just look at the sheer power shown in this encounter. If a bear tackles a lion and grabs hold of it and starts to shake it in its jaws like at 1:59 and 2:07, the fight is over.

Mumei

Mother of god. How is it that we are able to tame these savage monsters?

You should watch Blackfish. :(

The brown bears that the Siberian/Amur tigers kill are the Ussuri brown bear, which are larger than some of the inland American grizzlys and get pretty close to the size of Kodiak grizzlys/West coast grizzlys.

Tigers aren't hunting huge male brown bears, but they aren't killing tiny dwarf bears either.

Here's a science abstract from a study studying the interaction between bears and tigers in east Russia

Mm. There are quite a few references to the bear-siberian tiger relationship under Interspecific predatory relationships on the Wikipedia page, too. I believe that your article is referenced there, too.

I feel like people often leave Elephants, Rhinos and Hippos from the discussions simply because they ain't popular. A lot of attention (popular culture) is paid to lions and tigers and gorrillas e.t.c than is paid to elephants or rhinos or hippos. Elephants dominate everything that walks the earth, absolute domination. Rhinos will probably rip apart anything that isn't an elephant, and hippos are generally aggresive monsters. I wonder how Bears and tigers will fare against those three, we already know lions don't have good track record with any of the three.

What about Kodiak bears? They are pretty huge.

Mature male Kodiak bears average 1,000 to 1,200 pounds but can weigh up to 1,500 pounds when conditions are right. Adult males also average around eight feet in length and stand – on all four feet – a little over four feet at the shoulder, while larger bears stand up to five feet at the shoulder. A fully upright bear, standing on its hind feet only, could reach 10 feet in height.

Larry-Fitzgerald-grizzly.jpg

Larry-Fitzgerald-Grizzly-2.jpg

Speely

Banned
Grizzly would take any big cat but the lack of respect for lion is not ok in this thread. You don't fuck with a big ass male lion.

Well that's true in their natural environment. A bear and a male African lion would never meet, nor would said lion and a tiger. But hypothetically, either would fuck any lion up in quick fashion. Lions are badasses, and indeed are so in arguably the toughest part of the world as far as badass creatures go. I mean you have hippos, dinosaur-like crocs, elephants, crazy-loyal bison herds... Lions might not be the baddest cat out there (tigers are,) but they have to deal with the toughest peers for sure. Africa is brutal. Lions are therefore the toughest cat in my opinion. Shit they have to deal with is insane... Not to mention males having to fight for pride dominance. Shit is real.

Hydrus

Nah. I think people just don't really get the weight differences between African Elephants and everything else.

maxresdefault.jpg

Elephants just do whatever the hell they want.

I love how the birds are just chilling in the back like, " Just another day in the hood".

one grizzly blow would finish the lion

Male african elephants are a whole different league.
There are videos of them fighting with hippos, cars and rhinos. they just ram their 3.5m(11.5ft) teeth into them, lift them up and throw them literally away. note that a rhino can weight up to 3.5tons.

elephants go beserk videos are scary as fuck. when you see a rather small indian elphant tossing around ~100 people at once, you can imagine their strengh.

Kallor

I could see maybe 1 out of 25 death fights where a lion could get lucky and actually kill the grizzly. Grizzlys are massive, fast, extremely strong and constantly going at each other. They're hide is very tough. Most of the time the lion would get its fuckin' head knocked off.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Except tigers have been known to hunt bears and we're talking theoretically here which means we could encourage the tiger and the bear to hunt/fight in their own ways rather than do the smart thing and not mess with the thing that can hurt them (I'm talking bears too. Most predators don't want to go after prey that could hurt them even if they'd most likely win. Being injured is not a good thing to be in the wild). So like the tiger's ability to stealth and good hunting techniques cause it is a pure predator and relies on hunting to eat vs. the bear's raw power and ability to stand over its opponent.

And no, we're (ok I'm) not denying that an out and out fight the grizzly would win. But naturally the tiger doesn't play fair and do an out and out fight as they are a natural hunter and will stack the odds in their favor ;) (They stalk and surprise their prey). And they have been known to kill bears (see the post somewhere above mine talking about it). It's kinda like how we're the most dangerous animals cause we do the same thing (stack the odds in our favor) ;). Tigers and bears have a lot more to fear from us than vice versa (look how badly the tiger is doing as a species cause of us :( :( :( ). And one of us against one of them if you don't let us use our advantage is definitely going to have us die.

Anyways, I acknowledge the bear overall is the more fearsome to come across (even with techniques I'm sure they're not easy prey for tigers and as above post points out, the tiger doesn't always survive/win). And I've said before, you don't want to mess with any animal that can take on a tiger ;) (I was referring to grizzly bears when I was in Yellowstone). I think it's pretty impressive that tigers can actually take on bears sometimes honestly (especially given the power difference).

prep time tigers... no gud.

But bears are the best and the bestest cuddlers and they eat berries and sleep for months so they are obviously the more intelligent and warmfuzzy animal sooooooo.. pooshaw on your tigers, lady!

Bears rule tigers drool!!

(i'm a dog person)

Tigress

prep time tigers... no gud.

But bears are the best and the bestest cuddlers and they eat berries and sleep for months so they are obviously the more intelligent and warmfuzzy animal sooooooo.. pooshaw on your tigers, lady!

Bears rule tigers drool!!

(i'm a dog person)

Ah, you're just upset that bears just get Winnie the Pooh and Smokey the Bear to represent them while Tigers get Tigger! Oh, and Hobbes! I mean I like Winnie and Smokey but they don't compare to Tigger and Hobbes.

And who wants to be warm and fuzzy when you can look aggressive and predatory? Besides, you want warm and fuzzy (http://www.siberiantigersworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/siberian_tiger_cub.jpg) ? Siberian Tigers are pretty fuzzy (http://www.liveanimalslist.com/interesting-animals/images/siberian-tiger-gazzing.jpg) and if we keep inside the cat family we got snow leopards. They are way more warm and fuzzy looking than bears! And gorgeous too. I mean beat this for warm and fuzzy:

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/02429/Snow_2429317f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom