• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think gaming is too popular?

tmlDan

not popular enough, thats why GaaS push is happening, they're not selling enough content so they gouge us in other areas.

It's been hard getting a substantial amount of casual gamers to hop onto both PC and console gaming at a more rapid rate since most people turn to Mobile.

not popular enough, thats why GaaS push is happening, they're not selling enough content so they gouge us in other areas.

It's been hard getting a substantial amount of casual gamers to hop onto both PC and console gaming at a more rapid rate since most people turn to Mobile.

It's interesting since studies have been showing that zoomers aren't as into gaming as Millennials are

So I would expect a decline in 10 to 20 years

I might be wrong about it though

Last edited:
I hear the younger generation is not getting into sports. Some things like Nascar have a viewership problem and now I wonder if Basketball and Football are next.

Three

How popular do you think gaming is, and what do you think it does for it?
Gaming used to be the most popular type of entertainment but it has recently lost that title.

It being more popular means more games and more investment. Unfortunately the type of games that are popular are usually mobile games and GaaS. As they say though, a rising tide raises all boats.

core gaming really isn't all that popular, a lot of people will call themselves gamers for playing candy crush etc, but they'll completely fumble trying to operate a twin stick controller.
And it really looks like younger gen z, and a have much less of an interest in console gaming (let alone pc) and are just glued to their mobile devices instead.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I hear the younger generation is not getting into sports. Some things like Nascar have a viewership problem and now I wonder if Basketball and Football are next.
My anecdotal observation is that NASCAR has a viewership problem because it's boring AF to watch cars going around in an oval for hours on TV. Always has been. It's more fun to watch auto racing in person because drinking beer and eating hot dogs in the stands makes any sport better.

KXVXII9X

It definitely got much more popular over the years. I don't think the popularity is necessarily an issue though. I think most game try to make their game for the largest market available. If there are more and more people, I think it dilutes the potential of the game and makes it very safe and non-experimental. I wish the industry was okay with making more niche games. What I do like is that they have been making more niche titles more accessible with multiple options and getting people into more niche genres like CRPG's with Baldur's Gate 3. I wouldn't want gaming to be dominated by a single kind of audience. I just hope the industry can try to make different kinds of games for multiple audiences instead of trying to make a game for everyone to maximize profit.

Chastten

Banned
None of the super popular games interest me in any way, shape or form, but as long as my niche games keep existing I don't really care what happens to the rest of the industry.

That being said, I liked when gaming was smaller and it was easier to geek out over geek stuff with your geek friends.

Danknugz

this is exactly why they have the whole taylo swift / foot ball thing going on right now and they make such a huge deal out of it, it's disgusting

still, better than previous attempts at brainwashing young girls in america like they did with madonna who just straight up taught women how to be promiscuous and "feel good about it"

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Sonys consoles tap out at around 120-150million Xbox sells roughly 50 and nintendo sells 120-150 million that's about roughly 300 -350million console players then steam has userbase of 130 million user so there's roughly nearly half billion gamers out there. So I would say it's very popular

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Definitely, I miss the time of playing games "was for child", at least games were ignored by the crowd and creativity was at its best with no fucking stupid politics.

So tired of all these StR34m3rs G4m3rs with RGB everywhere screaming and being shocked for nothing and anything.

Last edited:

magnumpy

I think gaming has more mainstream appeal now than it did say 10 years ago, but I think it still has room to grow in popularity, so check back in 10 years I guess...

MagnesD3

Yes since the tail end of the 360 generation gaming popularity skyrocketed and as a result the pool of people who should have a say on the state of the direction games should go in has been greatly muddled. There are more good games than ever now but fewer truly great games pushing things. GAAS, toxic gaming subscription services, microtransactions, etc. the Lowest common denominator always ruins art eventually since the majority of humans lack self awareness, creativity and self control. Im thankful we still have games like Elden Ring coming out but I fear the worst when you see stuff like them nerfing bosses to appease the masses...

I will say though that there are still plenty of great games to play from indies, its mostly the AAA franchises that you grew up loving that are heavy infuenced, that and the death of the AA sphere.

Last edited:

Agreed. The more consumers there are, the less corpos feel the need to fuck over gamers in general. Plus, who wants a hobby with guarded gate keeping and snobs as the only personas in the industry? Not me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

No, they definitely are. It’s up to the parents though. Most parents make it a priority to get their kids involved in team sports or physical activities.

Mortisfacio

In some ways, yes. I think writing in particular is worse due to popularity/mainstream of gaming. Just look at some devs with great games from 2000-2010ish vs their releases in the last few years. Writing took the biggest hit and I think a large part of that is pandering to broader audiences.

tmlDan

Oh they are certainly selling enough. The problem is that these publishers want to continually sell more. “Enough” is not enough.
With population growth, and under capitalism, constant growth is expected.

This is not a new concept, the rate of growth is subjective but we've gone from 7 to 8 billion people in 12 years

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So on one hand, gaming's popularity has attracted influence from outside of the sphere of gaming. Dollar signs in the eyes of these perpetrators has jaded the industry ways we've become all too accustomed to.

The art is fading, giving way to bloated profiteering. Indies are the last bastion right now, but I feel the industry is in for a reckoning and relatively soon. Like in the next 5 years.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I said it once before in another downer thread. lol I think it took away that “only kid on the block” feeling that gaming had back in the 80’s and 90’s. It’s especially ruined the whole import and new release scene. Think you’re playing something unique? Nah man, that one dude on the web got a copy of that game months ago and he decides with his review on what the drama will be like until the game actually comes out.

Now a days anyone can have a stream and some streams go over stuff we talked about years ago. Older games, franchises, and new news. That’s all great and it’s probably a lot of overthinking to what I’m saying. It’s like the meaning of gaming to an individual like myself doesn’t mean the same thing. You can see too much of the guy behind the curtain and it’s all about making money. I guess stuff like The Last of Us and BioShock were a taste of the good stuff. The drama around certain games right now gets capped by a select group of outspoken individuals. It tends to make me, the excited gamer, feel like they’re even a smaller minority than before.

Gaming caters to so many people, including myself. I still get excited for games, but there’s certain genres and games that I don’t care about. I wouldn’t play a MOBA or battle royal game just to feel like I’m gaming.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You’re still considered a nerd ass bitch who can’t get any chicks on his dick if you game outside of FIFA or CoD.

If you’re a chick who plays and doesn’t look like a goblin, you get an extra 3 points in appeal by male goblins who play and have hentai waifu pillows.

Basically gaming has improved slightly for mass appeal but if you’re an adult male in say, sales, and you tell someone you game, you’re gonna not only get weird looks but massive stigma that you’re some kind of lazy weirdo.

I have more confidence telling someone I paint miniatures than being a gamer.

bender

What time is it?
In a way, yes. It's part of the reason along with inflated development budgets that we get dumbed down experiences and games for of MTX.

Top Bottom