• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is the most important video game of the 21st century.

Yoda

Probably a tie between WoW and LoL.

WoW was the first mainstream GaaS.

LoL was the first mainstream GaaS given away for "free".

Both games did not pioneer this facet, but I'd say they are what caught the industry's attention.

Purely on gameplay? Probably a tie between GTA3 and COD4, again, neither pioneered their respective facets. But both are still influencing games to this date.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Had to be 12 when it released.

I don't have to/won't explain to a triggered about someone's opinion so they quote and whine like a child type person anything.

Not what the threads about.
I asked you nicely/genuinely if you thought ER did more for open worlds than GTA 3. You said absolutely, then proceeded to call me a clown. Its free game from there, I can call your opinion dumb.

If you cant back up a claim then don't post nonsense lol

S0ULZB0URNE

I asked you nicely/genuinely if you thought ER did more for open worlds than GTA 3. You said absolutely, then proceeded to call me a clown. Its free game from there, I can call your opinion dumb.

If you cant back up a claim then don't post nonsense lol
Again I do and don't have to explain myself.
I think all of GTA is trash but I'm not calling you dumb.

IAmRei

Monster Hunter, they spawned new gameplay
Phantasy Star Online, as far as i know, this is the first online game in console, tied with MH, and Dark Souls, as they are inspired by PSO (if my info is not wrong)
BoTW, changes the way lot of developer views to modernized and better open world game design.
Cave Story, rise of Indies and pixel art, most people will say FEZ, but for me, it's cave story, it just hidden in plain sight at the time
Demon/Dark Souls, bring back NES Difficulty in modern style, and spawned new genre : soulslike
Silent Hill PT (if it release, released as demo, it might still count)
Resident Evil 4, You know the drill, 3rd person shooter camera, but if i can say, kill switch also cool at time.
Gears of War, Cover based mechanic
GTA 3, and my personal is San Andreas, doesnt need to be explained
Metal Gear 3, realistic approach, kind of rambo game i wish it like so
Dragon Dogma, KoToR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Narative Design tied with the gameplay

Just Cause 2, their optimization within the scale of the game is massive achievement for me
HL2, level design and physic based object manipulation (not sure myself)

i cant write more, there are too many and i can't choose which one
the closest is Resident Evil 4, for the camera and efficiency of the gameplay.

TLDR: Resident Evil 4, GTA, MH, and Dark souls

what do you think is the most influential and important video game of the 21st century? (has to be a game that has came out since Jan 1. 2000)
Ackshually the 21st century is 2001 through 2100, this owes to the fact that there was no year zero, therefore the first century included the years 1 through 100, and the year 2000 is part of the 20th century.
Glasses Nerd GIF by Team Coco

I would say;

GTA 3 - Open world games started to become more of a thing
Halo - Really solidified console FPS
Cod 4 - The progression system became the standard for pretty much every MP game afterwards
PUBG - BR Explosion which led to Fortnite
Minecraft - Mass appeal
The Last of Us - Was the genesis of the "Sony" game
Demons/Dark Souls - I dont recall there being a "Git Gud" mantra before this
Pretty good list, I could tack on a Warcraft 3 and call it a day.

Top Bottom