• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

Brofist

railGUN said:
I believe MAG will no longer work if you don't get the newest firmware. In fact anything that connects to the PSN will no longer work.

I think you can get around it by disabling your internet connection through network settings if you really wanted to play without updating. Of course if you want to play online you are screwed.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Corto said:
Anyone else with problems connecting to PSN server? Can´t download the update or play online...
Update it via USB then. DL links here and remember to capitalize the folder names.

Quick question guys. Can I play PSP games and PSP Minis I got off the PSN on my PS3? I heard you can play some games on the PS3 with the 3.15 update.

Is this true?

Thanks.

Zen

Banned
I think the update killed my PS3

So here's the timeline:

Downloaded the update, hit cancel because I was unsure
Shut down
Started it up later
Redownloaded the update, hit accept, installed
Restarted PS3
Downloaded and Installed Heavy Rain DLC
Started Heavy Rain
Yellow light for half a second before flashing red

My PS3 has had no real problems before this (it's a 60gig classic PS3 with BC). It's way too coincidental that the very first time that I tried to execute a game post update that the system completely dies.

I can start it up again, but nothing comes up. It sits in green state for about 15 seconds before turning yellow for a fraction of a second before flashing red again.

I don't know man, that just sounds like standard ylod to me. It can happen at any time without any warning beforehand and it could just be a coincidence. 15 seconds seems like a long time for it to stay on before the yellow light though. Try to get your disc out if you can.

Zen

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
I don't know man, that just sounds like standard ylod to me. It can happen at any time without any warning beforehand and it could just be a coincidence. 15 seconds seems like a long time for it to stay on before the yellow light though. Try to get your disc out if you can.

Yeah I already got it out, thanks though. It actually 'started up' once before crashing again.

It could be a pure coincidence. I guess any further discussion might be better suited for the PS3 died thread.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zen said:

So here's the timeline:

Shut down
Started it up later
Restarted PS3
Started Heavy Rain

My PS3 has had no real problems before this (it's a 60gig classic PS3 with BC). It's way too coincidental that the very first time that I tried to execute a game post update that the system completely dies.

I can start it up again, but nothing comes up. It sits in green state for about 15 seconds before turning yellow for a fraction of a second before flashing red again.

same here , I turned it on for first time after the new FW and it's dead , no problems at all with it before.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Okay, update from Amazon:

We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of £84.00 for your Order 666-5327564-4432412.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B0007SV734
Reason for refund: Account adjustment

The following is the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: £71.49
Item Tax Refund: £12.51

So much for anyone who said nothing would ever come of this and we should all shut up and enjoy being shafted by Sony. :D

Falastur

Neo Member
iapetus said:

So much for anyone who said nothing would ever come of this and we should all shut up and enjoy being shafted by Sony. :D

What did you have to say to Amazon to get them to do this, and did they explain how they have they have calculated that amount? Very interested in this, but I bought mine with Gameplay rather than Amazon.

onken

iapetus said:

That's awesome.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Falastur said:
What did you have to say to Amazon to get them to do this, and did they explain how they have they have calculated that amount? Very interested in this, but I bought mine with Gameplay rather than Amazon.

Pointed them at the relevant EU directive, pushed back when they tried to point me at their 30-day guarantee, and that was it. I hadn't even asked for any refund - just what their policy was going to be on such things. No idea how they calculated the refund - it's about 20%, I think.

coopolon

Huh, without updating to 3.21 you can still download and install the updates for all your games. So basically I have no reason to update the firmware until a game or bluray comes out that I can't play.

missile

Just a quick hint.

You don't have to update to fw 3.21 to use the PSN. Just enter the following
DNS -- 67.202.81.137 -- into your PS3 under Network Settings. The server fakes
the authentication and hands the connection back to your PS3 shortly thereafter.
No proxy needed.

iapetus said:
Okay, update from Amazon: ...

Awesome.

jett

D-Member
Zen said:

So here's the timeline:

Shut down
Started it up later
Restarted PS3
Started Heavy Rain

shit happens

Mad_Ban

iapetus said:

Why are you only being refunded £84? I'm guessing they only offer partial refunds?

EDIT: You replied whilst I was being a slowcoach. T_T

brotkasten said:
No, £84.00 for the fact, that the OtherOS function was removed. It's not that he sold his PS3 or something.

Erm... for a refund to be applied he would have to give his PS3 away as well... right?

*edit* Guess not oO Are you sure about that iapetus?

Btw, is that in the US or Europe?

Sapiens

Fuckadoodle doo. Was hoping this new firmware would add BC support for me new HRAp...and no.

oh well.

Have to buy another joystick now (I'm secretely happy about this.)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
missile said:
Just a quick hint.

the authentication and hands the connection back to your PS3 shortly thereafter.
No proxy needed.

Awesome.
I wish you would have posted that yesterday ;_;

Its too late for my system, but I added it to the OP on the other thread.

Falastur

Neo Member
iapetus said:
Pointed them at the relevant EU directive, pushed back when they tried to point me at their 30-day guarantee, and that was it. I hadn't even asked for any refund - just what their policy was going to be on such things. No idea how they calculated the refund - it's about 20%, I think.

Cheers for this - have sent off an email to Gameplay to ask the same.

missile

Killthee said:
I wish you would have posted that yesterday ;_; ...
Sorry mate. :(

Sux pretty hard to lose such a feature for nothing.

Btw; I almost always wait one or two days before updating my little
super computer that is.

missile

CodecSys Personal sales ended.

Fixstars said:
CodecSys Personal

Sales ended on April 1, 2010

Important notice: CodecSys Personal is no longer available for purchase.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. has announced that firmware version 3.21 for PlayStation(R) 3 will remove the feature to install a different OS ("Other OS") on PS3. This will directly affect CodecSys users because the encoder runs Yellow Dog Linux on PS3 utilizing the "Other OS" feature. Therefore, if you upgrade to firmware 3.21 or greater, you will NOT be able to run CodecSys.

If you wish to continue using CodecSys Personal, do not upgrade the PS3's firmware after March 31 2010.
Fixstars remains committed to provide updates and support to our customers. We offer 1 year support from purchase date to customers of CodecSys Personal. However, we will stop selling CodecSys Personal and the upgrade and maintenance offer for CodecSys Personal on April 1st 2010 ...

railGUN

Banned
iapetus said:

Awesome. I wonder if something like that would apply in Canada...

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
missile said:
Just a quick hint.

No proxy needed.

Awesome.

Works like a charm - thanks man!

Question though - so let's say you upgraded to 3.21 and then did a system restore, would this not bring back the "Install Other OS" functionality?

Slavik81

iapetus said:

That's Amazon paying. Their customer service is nice and often goes beyond the legal requirement. After all, if you took them to court, even if you lost, it would cost them hundreds of times more.

And did anyone really say to be happy about it? It was a dickish move on Sony's part for sure.

TheOMan said:
Works like a charm - thanks man!

Question though - so let's say you upgraded to 3.21 and then did a system restore, would this not bring back the "Install Other OS" functionality?
System Restore does not change the firmware version, only the settings and user files.

missile

TheOMan said:
... Question though - so let's say you upgraded to 3.21 and then did a system restore, would this not bring back the "Install Other OS" functionality?
That would be the biggest joke evar. But who knows? :lol Well, I think a restore
will only bring back the content that was once your disk.

missile said:
Just a quick hint.

No proxy needed.
bless you.

sohois

iapetus said:

Hey iapetus, could you clarify what EU directive it is that got you said refund - i hope to do the same with my order from GAME. Will it matter that my order was a bundle? And is there a time period after which i could not do this? - mine was a launch PS3. Thanks

missile

A note for those who wanna keep their OtherOS for longer.

Over time you may wish to install a new HDD into your PS3 to increase the
OtherOS' partition. Keep in mind that the system will force you to install a
firmware after it has formatted your disc!
Don't accidentally let the system
download / install a firmware >= 3.21, have 3.15 ready on an USB pen drive.

Similar, you may come to the idea formatting your internal HDD to now allocated
the bigger chunk for the OtherOS. Make sure that you have firmware 3.15 ready.
Do an MD5 check first to ensure you've got the right one! There will be no
second chances.

tass0

Banned
So, if geohot releases a CFW which retains OtherOS and has to ability to use PSN, new games etc, will the hate on him stop here? :)

Gravijah

Slavik81 said:
That's Amazon paying. Their customer service is nice and often goes beyond the legal requirement. After all, if you took them to court, even if you lost, it would cost them hundreds of times more.

And did anyone really say to be happy about it? It was a dickish move on Sony's part for sure.

I wouldn't say happy, but surely you've read the comments from people saying who gives a shit, etc?

missile said:
Just a quick hint.

No proxy needed.

Awesome.
Wow nice loophole.
missile said:
Sorry mate. :(

Sux pretty hard to lose such a feature for nothing.

Btw; I almost always wait one or two days before updating my little
super computer that is.
lol

missile

Killthee said:
I wish you would have posted that yesterday ;_; ...
Just a thought. You may probably find someone in your neighborhood (a good
friend perhaps) who hasn't updated to fw 3.21 just yet and who doesn't care
about the OtherOS feature either. You may ask him / her to switch consoles.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Slavik81 said:
Amazon's big enough to put the hurt on Sony for having to issue these kinds of refunds.

Plenty of people seemed downright proud that Sony had taken away a feature.

jorma

is now taking requests
Slavik81 said:

They will pass the bill on to Sony. And they must be pretty sure that they will get the money since they paid up at once.

So this might not be illegal, but Amazon seems to agree that this is not acceptable business practice. I reckon Sony just violated the TOS for doing business in EU. =)

missile

tass0 said:
So, if geohot releases a CFW which retains OtherOS and has to ability to use PSN, new games etc, will the hate on him stop here? :)
In this case he will get all the girls, I guess. xD

obonicus said:
Please explain. Are you saying Linux was subsidized somehow?
Quite the opposite is true.
patsu was talking about all the dollars lost due to PS3Linux, i.e. that
PS3Linux is not a sustainable business and as such not worth to be considered
any longer. If we would always need a sustainable business running, then most of
the good things, like Linux, wouldn't exists in the first place. One cannot
expect that PS3Linux brings heaven down to earth just after three years. A
proper scene needs about 5 - 10 years to establish itself on a new hardware /
architecture.

obonicus

missile said:
any longer.

It's not just that it isn't a sustainable business, but that there's nothing there that really interests Sony. You mentioned how it could be a desktop replacement, but Linux hasn't really caught on in that regard in the PC space. Why would it be any different on the arcane, limited PS3? Is Sony even in the business of working on desktop replacements?

Which isn't even addressing patsu's point that Sony loses money on these machines. If you're not buying games (and potentially blu-rays) for your PS3, Sony doesn't really want your business. Is the subset of gamers that are looking for a desktop replacement big enough to warrant further investment in OtherOS?

Even the angle of ostensibly serving as a platform for coders to train with Cell may not make sense anymore -- for all we know, Sony might go in a completely different direction with PS4. (Dropping OtherOS doesn't speak wonders for Sony's commitment to Cell.)

If we would always need a sustainable business running, then most of
the good things, like Linux, wouldn't exists in the first place.

Linux started as a grassroots sort of thing; when it reached sufficient mass, corporations decided it was worth investing money into. That's not really the case here. Here Sony is investing money in something that costs them money today, may cause them significant trouble in the future -- all on the promise that one day something that is both good and interesting to them might come out of the community.

Once cannot
architecture.

But is Sony interested in PS3Linux bringing heaven down to earth? They don't make money off it. There's no reason to believe that they'd ever make money off it.

Zapages

Some other boards that I visit are stating that GameOS has been dumped by some guy called geohotz... I don't know how true it is... But he and board is talking about Level 2 has been attained. I really don't know if to believe this or not...

tass0

Banned
I hope some of you didn't update, geohot is saying he's done it, expect a video soon. :>

also:

<mha> geohot: is it hardwarewise possible to unlock otheros support on slims etc?
<@geohot> i believe so

Erebus

tass0 said:
I hope some of you didn't update, geohot is saying he's done it, expect a video soon. :>

also:

<mha> geohot: is it hardwarewise possible to unlock otheros support on slims etc?
<@geohot> i believe so
Where? His blog hasn't been updated.

tass0 said:

also:

<@geohot> i believe so
Where'd you read that? Unless it's on his blog or Twitter account I'd say it's fake.

Seems highly unlikely the guy has coded a cfw in a couple of days. He is good but I doubt he is that good

patsu

missile said:
In this case he will get all the girls, I guess. xD

any longer. If we would always need a sustainable business running, then most of
the good things, like Linux, wouldn't exists in the first place. One cannot
architecture.

Linux *is* sustained by businesses and user donation. Do you donate money to Sony for PS3 Linux ? Without those funds, Linux would have remained small, especially when the economy turn sour and IT folks go out of job.

Top Bottom