• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

hirokazu

MrPliskin said:
in the long run will stand to the benefit of users who value things like a secure platform.
Yeah, no. In the long run, it benefits Sony. Secure platform? I don't care what other people have done to their PS3, it's none of my business. The PlayStation Network would still be secure if Sony aren't incompetent.

Mako_Drug said:
I still doubt that the reasoning behind the removal of the feature was in anyway motivated by costs incurred in making firmware compatable.

This strikes me as unlikely. We already know that the feature was cut from the slim model specifically due to costs -- I'm really not sure why costs wouldn't similarly be a motivating factor in ending the line on OtherOS in the original models.

MrPliskin said:
I think Sony had reason good enough to close a security exploit.

Still, I think it's a bit dramatic to think that this paves the way for the exploitation of consumers and future reductions of our rights. Consumers will understandably be upset, but I don't think that Sony, or any other corporation, would be willing to start removing things essential to the core use of the system. It is unfortunate that this happened, but it happened with good reason (at least IMO) and in the long run will stand to the benefit of users who value things like a secure platform.

I do wish to take the discussion further and talk about some other things, but I don't want to be banned again for talking modding / hacking / piracy. Maybe we could discuss it privately over PM or something? I think there is a good amount of discussion to be had here, but not good enough to lose my posting privileges over :p

When you buy a multi-use device, you shouldn't have to wonder if it will someday cease to be a multi-use device. And define "core use of the system". That implies one thing. I agree that Sony's unlikely to remove, say, Blu-Ray movie playback. But which functions might still be considered expendable? Mp3 playback? DVD? CD? Mpeg? Photo browsing? Internet browsing? The PSP 3000 has a security hole in its photo browser, maybe the PS3 does, too. And any one of those (as well as Linux, of course) might have been the deciding factor in someone's purchase, vs. getting a 360 or Wii.

This does indeed "pave the way", as you said, if it stands unchallenged. The law needs to be clear about this sooner rather than later. Selling a multi-function device and then removing functions shoudl be just as illegal as selling a single-function device that doesn't work.

Also, where is the benefit of a secure platform? The PS3 is currently secure, while the other 15 consoles I own aren't. I fail to see any benefit at all. PS3 games aren't cheaper or more plentiful. They don't run better, or have fewer bugs. The other systems don't suffer from "hacking" attacks or anything of the sort. The most successful systems in history have all had poor security. I'm racking my brain, and I just can't see any benefit to the consumer at all.

charlequin said:
This strikes me as unlikely. We already know that the feature was cut from the slim model specifically due to costs -- I'm really not sure why costs wouldn't similarly be a motivating factor in ending the line on OtherOS in the original models.

We'll never know, I suppose, but I agree. All things considered, cost-cutting seems at least as likely to be the reason behind this as some vague potential security flaw.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
MrPliskin said:
Still, I think it's a bit dramatic to think that this paves the way for the exploitation of consumers and future reductions of our rights.

I don't see how you can think that. Sony have removed a feature that they touted as unique and powerful, that some people bought the PS3 for, either exclusively or partly, and that some people spent extra money on their PS3s for. They've done it without consultation with users, and even though they're clearly in breach of a whole range of laws, they're refusing to provide any compensation or to support retailers who end up in the shit because of their actions.

Forget future exploitation of consumers - this is a clear example that Sony can get away with exploitation of consumers now, and anyone who's not directly affected will buy the company line and support their right to do so.

MrPliskin said:
Consumers will understandably be upset, but I don't think that Sony, or any other corporation, would be willing to start removing things essential to the core use of the system.

Really? So when they want to push a new console out there you don't think they'll be considering making sticking with the old model less tempting?

MrPliskin said:
It is unfortunate that this happened, but it happened with good reason (at least IMO) and in the long run will stand to the benefit of users who value things like a secure platform.

No, doesn't impact other users at all. Except, of course, inasmuch as it tests their willingness to be told that they're basically criminals unless proved otherwise. You're happy with that, I'm not.

crispyben

I haven't seen the money yet, but the French retailer where I bought my 80 GB PS3 + GT5P + 2 DS3's for 449€ in 2008 just offered me a 200€ gift card as a partial refund after they confirmed with Sony that Sony wouldn't budge on the issue...

Top Bottom