• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

Again: NOT an April Fools joke. Maybe calling PS3 a computer was a belated April Fool's Joke! :lol

What? You were expecting them to fix the leap year clock glitch? PFFT! :lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

So PS3 is not a computer anymore... Ken Kutaragi (and the military) would be sad...
Also, if you don't update, you can't use PS3 as a "gaming and bluray" console anymore.
Oh and to add to this; What's next: Firmware update 3.22: Removing PS2 backward compatibility from older PS3s?? :lol

Oni Jazar

Holy shit wow. I was asking for a firmware update but I wasn't expecting THIS.

How about giving us a carrot with your stick Sony?

edit: if this is an April fools joke.... Grrrr not funny.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Here comes an onlaught of complaints.

Mostly from people who have never installed another OS I would bet.

Then again it will be on April 1st, so :lol :lol

geohot-abc.png

Bebpo

Banned
Yep.

This is the reason why most sane people don't want Sony hardware to get hacked. Because it makes Sony go CRAZY and throw quick patches/preventions left and right and only ends up hurting the consumer.

Really bullshit that the first thing they are doing is taking Linux out. For the people that actually use this feature they're pretty much forced to buy a 2nd PS3.

*I take this back if it's april fools joke, but uhhh it's not 4/1 ANYWHERE in the world right now...

AndyD said:
Here comes an onlaught of complaints.

Mostly from people who have never installed another OS I would bet.

Then again it will be on April 1st, so :lol :lol

Got OtherOS installed. Screw Sony.

Let's hope geohot gets the PS3 fully hacked. I'm not budging now, cos I'm pretty sure the opensource community can write a better fucking OS than Sony can these days.

Fusebox

Banned
First it was the BC, the SACD and USB ports, now it's the Linux support... what will you take from the PS3 next Sony..?!

Cruzader

Banned
WTF, no way. This is an April fools joke right Sony?

I mean I would hate for PS3 to get pirated but it comes down to this?

Zen

Banned
People in the 'PS3 Hacked' (even though it wasn't hacked) called this as a response to the Iphone guy trying to hack the system.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I couldn't care less.

Zen said:
People in the 'PS3 Hacked' (even though it wasn't hacked) called this as a response to the Iphone guy trying to hack the system.

The measure seems unnecessary considering he really didn't get anywhere.

Oni Jazar

Fusebox said:
First it was the BC, the SACD and USB ports, now it's the Linux support... what will you take from the PS3 next Sony..?!

Big difference here is that they are removing functionality for those who already have it.

This is such a fucking no-brainer for Sony. .01% of the userbase uses the Other OS function and half of that population uses it for gaming. If the option is between appeasing them and allowing a crease for someone to hack the PS3, it's an easy choice. Fuck the whiners.

Cruzader

Banned
Does that mean PS2 BC is returning via an update now? Are users gonna get something back in return? I never used OtherOS but wanted to mess around with some Linux loader stuff..

Chrange

Banned
Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

So what are these new features that you wouldn't be able to use? Because I don't see any listed...

Cowie

I was going to get indignant about this, but then I realized my slim never had the option to begin with. Oops.

Still shitty?

loosus

Banned
Two ways to look at this...

A.) Who cares? Nobody except a vocal community really uses this.

B.) Who cares if only a few people used it? If this was one of the reasons they bought the damn thing, it's a pretty raw fucking deal for them.

I am convinced that Sony wants to do everything the Sega way this generation.

wait. this is an april fool's joke.
i mean they say it's optional to download
but they mention shit that won't work unless you're on 3.21 or later if you want to keep the "Other OS" Feature WTF? :lol.

DMPrince said:
but they mention shit that won't work unless you're on 3.21 or later if you want to keep the "Other OS" Feature WTF? :lol.

Dude! PS3 is a computer, man!! It's optional if you want your Linux!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Dragona Akehi said:
If you really think that the official Sony Blog would post this an April Fool's...

I am wondering what is worse, this being real or an april's fool joke :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bebpo said:
There's already some hardcore denial in this thread.

This isn't a joke. It's real.

Nobody actually expects this to be an April Fools joke. :lol

Dabanton

DMPrince said:

It's 'optional' in the loosest sense of the word. :lol

Not that i use the other OS feature seeing as i have a Slim but it's pretty fucking cheeky of Sony trying to strongarm users into having to DL this update if they actually want to use thier PS3's for anything.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bebpo said:
Yep.

This is the reason why most sane people don't want Sony hardware to get hacked. Because it makes Sony go CRAZY and throw quick patches/preventions left and right and only ends up hurting the consumer.

Funny thing is I've heard it argued that the "Install Other OS" feature was a big reason that hackers never went to town on the PS3, because it already let them run code in a limited fashion. The initial motivation for hackers isn't piracy, or even homebrew software per se... they usually just like the challenge of seeing if they can run their own code in a closed corporate device. Install Other OS tempered this desire significantly.

Now that we've been shown that other OSs are a possibility on PS3, and they've actually taken it out in very public anti-consumer, anti-geek way, it seems to me that the PS3 has a big target on its forehead saying HACK ME PLEASE.

Geohot was nowhere near to making anything substantial, this is only going to send a fucking flare up to get serious about hacking the thing, so this is a pretty big mistake on their part.

Although that said, did anything interesting ever come out of the PS3 Linux scene anyway? Seemed like a complete novelty at best to put the "COMPUTER" into the PR mouthful PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM®

Kind of bizarre they didn't offset it with any new features. What on earth happened to XMB voice chat?

ShinNL

I once saw someone have an LCD screen, keyboard and mouse and a PS3 in his room. I asked where the computer was and it turned out that the PS3 was the computer thanks to Linux. That made me think PS3s were awesome. I guess Sony doesn't think the same ._.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
At least they could add some features or something. :3

Top Bottom