• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Although that said, did anything interesting ever come out of the PS3 Linux scene anyway? Seemed like a complete novelty at best to put the "COMPUTER" into the PR mouthful PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM®

Just companies that were buying PS3s to turn them into server farms. Sony loses a ton of money in this scenario.

V_Ben

Banned
Fair enough. I don't know anybody that uses this feature, so if it frees up some more memory, i'm cool with that. Besides, if you want Linux on something, buy a cheap PC.
But it still sucks for you guys.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Just companies that were buying PS3s to turn them into server farms. Sony loses a ton of money in this scenario.

Why would they update their PS3's? they don't need to, they aren't playing games online on their server farms. Sony's not going to screw them over.

Cep

Banned
BocoDragon said:
HACK ME PLEASE.

And the the community will hopefully oblige them, they DO NOT like to be fucked with.

V_Ben said:
Fair enough. I don't know anybody that uses this feature, so if it frees up some more memory, i'm cool with that. Besides, if you want Linux on something, buy a cheap PC.

Not even sure where to begin.

Not that I'd ever seriously planned on using the other OS feature, but I really hope this is just a poorly done April Fools joke.

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.
Hmm. So will the partition become unusable or will it merge with the game os partition?

Cruzader

Banned
Soneet said:
I once saw someone have an LCD screen, keyboard and mouse and a PS3 in his room. I asked where the computer was and it turned out that the PS3 was the computer thanks to Linux. That made me think PS3s were awesome. I guess Sony doesn't think the same ._.
Seriously WTF is SOny thinking! They could just go try to go after geohot's ass but instead they screw all phat PS3 owners.

iceatcs

4060468542_4223976c66_o.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well sucks if it's not an April Fools joke. I mostly used the Linux partition on my PS3 whenever my laptop would take a turn for the worst and had to be repaired.

Chrange

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
They weren't selling them Slims if they needed Linux anyway.

I'm afraid one day these guys will try to disable ps2 playback on the launch systems. Linux and SACD I don't care about. But if they mess with my ps2 bc....

Valkyr Junkie said:
No, because 1) those companies just need the cheap computing powers, not the blu-ray and game function and 2) Sony loses money on each PS3 and those companies were purchasing no software or peripherals.

Burger

:lol

Awesome, the actual removal of features. Do I also have to take a marker and redact parts of my user manual ?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
shagg_187 said:
Launch buyers shafted = confirmed.

*hugs his 60GB PS3*
It's not all that bad.

I remember the first hint that BC hardware was being taken out of future PS3s, and at the time they were moving to inferior software-supported BC as in the PAL launch model (this was before BC was getting the axe completely). I remember arguing with Kadey on another message board that Sony would probably patch the flawless hardware BC out of the US launch models so that all PS3s did BC the same way...

I was so wrong about that. But here we do have Sony patching out a real feature of the hardware.. so fears like that actually have a basis in reality...

loosus

Banned
Probably shouldn't joke about getting rid of backwards compatibility in older PS3's. I'm sure that has been talked about at Sony. After all, by letting PS2 software run on those PS3's, there is indeed some insignificant increase in risk for Sony.

Of course, the real reason for disabling playback would be to re-sell PS2 software. But they could easily use security as a front.

Meh, no biggie for me.

But ouch at Sony punishing the fuck out of those for not upgrading.

"If you don't update, we'll effectively turn your PS3 into a paperweight. A hot looking paperweight".:lol :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
H_Prestige said:
I'm afraid one day these guys will try to disable ps2 playback on the launch systems. Linux and SACD I don't care about. But if they mess with my ps2 bc....

The only possible scenario in which that could happen is if Sony developed a well-working software-based PS2 emulation system introduced via firmware and began selling PS2 titles via PSN.

I can't believe some people are really trying to spin this as a sign of things to come. Take off that tin foil hat. :lol

RdN

Well.. never used it, so I don't really care.

But sucks that Sony has to take a feature in order to prevent piracy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can't wait for the update that removes PS2 BC so Sony can sell me Collection ports prevent piracy :lol

I really hope this is a joke but a) I doubt they would announce a joke early b) April 1st is a Thursday which is PSN update day.

What's gonna happen now to all the people that bought PS3 for the Cell's computing power? Like the US army and shit...

Seriously Sony... FUCK YOU!

Y2Kev said:
What can you do with OtherOS on PS3? I thought it was gimpo'd.

Erm... you can install Linux on it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Y2Kev said:
It pretty much runs as a terribly slow computer with parts of the hardware locked out, so it was effectively only useful for emulating SNES games, and browsing the web.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OH NOES I CAN PLAYZ WITH LINUKS ON MY PSTHREI !!!

* Goes and play BFBC2 *

Less piracy is better for everyone.

Metalmurphy said:
What's gonna happen now to all the people that bought PS3 for the Cell's computing power? Like the US army and shit...

LOLZ RUSSIA is goint to invade US!
It was all part of Sony's Keikaku !!!

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Pretty sure you couldn't access the graphics card, IIRC. Sounds almost entirely useless. I think some people made some emulators for use with it?

* Goes and play BFBC2 *

This.

So: Let's some this up:

1. Heavy Rain announced. PS3 announced to be $599 US
2. Heavy Rain released: PS3 faces leap year glitch.
3. Heavy Rain DLC releases April 1st: "Other OS" feature removed from PS3.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!!!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

I doubt the Army uses PSN or watches Blu-ray movies on them. :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Metalmurphy said:

Nothing, because they don't need to update. It's not as though companies that use PS3 server farms update each and every PS3 whenever a new firmware hits, unless of course the update improved/added something both substantial and relevant.

Y2Kev said:
I'm sure Sony can sell large clients like the US Army special PS3s if they want them with OtherOS. I bet they might even give them a solution that allows them to access the full PS3 under OtherOS.

Agreed.

fallen_elite

Neo Member
To all you guys getting upset: why not install Linux on your PC? It's not like it being on PS3 made it any better. Actually I doubt you could do half as much with Linux on PS3 than you can on a computer.

Somnid

It doesn't really matter in the overall scope of things but it's a very good example why we can't have nice things. Some stupid fuckwit hacker has to ruin it for everyone.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm sure Sony can sell large clients like the US Army special PS3s if they want them with OtherOS. I bet they might even give them a solution that allows them to access the full PS3 under OtherOS.

JaxJag

Banned
Fersis said:

* Goes and play BFBC2 *

LOLZ RUSSIA is goint to invade US!
It was all part of Sony's Keikaku !!!

So basically "the less features, better for everyone".

Nice man, do you by any chance work at Sony?

Does anyone on gaf actually use OtherOS functions apart from messing about to see linux running then never touching it again?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Having upgraded to a Slim shows how much I care about this removal. It sucks for those actually using it tho but if it's for preventing piracy than it does make total sense for Sony and its partners.

Anyways... curious about what features 3.21 actually brings in.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JaxJag said:
So basically "the less features, better for everyone".

Nice man, do you by any chance work at Sony?
Totally.

They're removing the feature to avoid piracy. It sucks but is the right thing to do.

Aigis said:
Can't wait for the update that removes PS2 BC so Sony can sell me Collection ports prevent piracy :lol

i can see the responses now if that were to happen: "lol i don't use BC anyways so who cares!"

So they set up a website asking people what new features they want in firmware updates as a distraction to remove features that have been around since launch?

I guess this is Sony officially admitting that OtherOS was a bad idea in the first place.

Top Bottom