• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furi Review thread (Free Game For PS+ Members)

Oh awesome! I'm so glad it is getting great reviews! I thought it looked cool a while ago but want sure how it's turn out. I almost feel too bad that it it's releasing first on PS+, I hope Sony gave them a good deal. Maybe since it is getting good reviews, it'll get really popular off of PS+ like Rocket League did and even be able to attract a lot of additional sales. Maybe the low barrier of entry could even introduce a lot of people to action games of this nature, since it seems to be similar in style to Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc. In a genre sometimes called character action, but with a specific focus on bosses.

It took my friend a good amount of time to beat the boss he faced. He didn't die, though.

Hopefully it's not too, too hard. Challenging is okay.

sjay1994

Nice to see some positive impressions. Wasn't 100% sold on the game, but what I've heard in its soundtrack is excellent.

dzelly

I've played about 7 hours since last Tuesday and I really like it. The game is HARD. Third boss on highest difficulty has me stumped for a day or so.

Story isn't amazing, but it's a nice touch when traveling between the bosses.

I've played about 7 hours since last Tuesday and I really like it. The game is HARD. Third boss on highest difficulty has me stumped for a day or so.

Story isn't amazing, but it's a nice touch when traveling between the bosses.
Sounds longer than I had expected. Titan Souls was around 5 hours and SoTC around 9-10

Wagram

Been looking for an indie that matches Salt and Sanctuary.

Been incredibly disappointed with the offerings lately indie wise on PSN.

dzelly

Sounds longer than I had expected. Titan Souls was around 5 hours and SoTC around 9-10

I played around 4 hours at home. I restarted once because I wanted to record some gameplay. And probably 2-3 hours at work swapping with a buddy on death.

Each boss fight takes between 10 and 15 minutes, if you win. If you lose a life (you have three per fight) you start whatever segment of the boss you were on over again. Second boss has six segments. If you do a perfect run you can probably end most bosses in 5-7 minutes, but I've never done that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Oh wow, this is good news.

But about the AAA vs. Indie dialogue in this thread, that's oversimplyfing it. Some of us don't like constant 8-bit throwback sidescrollers, but they had become near constant on PS4's PS+ offerings. I don't think it was a matter of loving or hating indie, more it was being sick of that revival.

Oh wow, this is good news.

But about the AAA vs. Indie dialogue in this thread, that's oversimplyfing it. Some of us don't like constant 8-bit throwback sidescrollers, but they had become near constant on PS4's PS+ offerings. I don't think it was a matter of loving or hating indie, more it was being sick of that revival.
Pixel art doesn't equal "8-bit throwback"

And I'd say "constant" is a pretty big exaggeration. Helldivers, Galak-Z, Dead Star, Switch Galaxy, Gauntlet, King's Quest, Gone Home, Dragon Fin Soup, Broken Age, and so on

I wouldnt bust anyones balls for thinking that given a TON of games that used that style during the PS360 gen were throwback games.
Glancing through the free games for this year and late 2015, it's definitely a big exaggeration to say that the games offered are "constant 8-bit throwbacks"

Don't know what was offered last gen

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Pixel art doesn't equal "8-bit throwback"

And I'd say "constant" is a pretty big exaggeration. Helldivers, Galak-Z, Dead Star, Switch Galaxy, Gauntlet, King's Quest, Gone Home, Dragon Fin Soup, Broken Age, and so on

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, just stuff like Mercenary Kings and Broforce weren't my cup of tea. Even if Super Meat Boy didn't have the same look, its gameplay was a more egregious example and there have been others.

Meanwhile, I thought Galak-Z was an awesome space shooter with a great story and soundtrack, while I've loved lots of other indies on + too. Outlast is the game that brought me back to survival horror for example.

sarcoa

I just finished it. Cool bit in the credits with a nod to Furi's influences:

3R1Egxx.jpg

I've completed every Platinum game outside of Infinite Space and TMNT and Furi really stands up with the best of them. Maybe its scale isn't as wide, but raw combat is a careful application of skill + improvisation. There's some recency bias in effect given that I've done nothing but eat a few meals and play Furi all day, but damn what a ride.

sn00zer

Glancing through the free games for this year and late 2015, it's definitely a big exaggeration to say that the games offered are "constant 8-bit throwbacks"

Don't know what was offered last gen

I just means interms of pixel art, as many pixel art games, especially popular ones are throwback games. But I know indies are your wheelhouse and Im out of my element.

Eurogamer - Recommended

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...punch-out-successor-you-didnt-know-you-wanted

A stylish, mechanically polished boss rush game, Furi effectively channels the spirit of Punch-Out!! to make for an unexpected gem.

Furi may look rough around the edges and its seemingly slight slew of content may be a tough sell (especially at the somewhat pricey €24.99 / $24.99) but at the end of the day it's a winning premise done right. Elegant, deep, inspired, and oh so tight, Furi is a gem.

Dascu

I just finished it. Cool bit in the credits with a nod to Furi's influences:

I've completed every Platinum game outside of Infinite Space and TMNT and Furi really stands up with the best of them. Maybe its scale isn't as wide, but raw combat is a careful application of skill + improvisation. There's some recency bias in effect given that I've done nothing but eat a few meals and play Furi all day, but damn what a ride.

Nice references there.

I think I will buy this one.

Edit: It's not showing up on the European PSN store for me?

Didn't think it would hold up... I mean, it looked like it was lacking but reviews are glorious.

Definitly picking this up.

Won't lie, kinda wish I had PS+ again right now.

Well I'm getting SFV soon anyway, so resubscribing doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Shin-chan

First time I've been excited for plus in a while. If we get a handful of titles like this throughout the year I think the sub is worth it. I think offering more 3D indies as plus games would get people more interested (as it seems to be the sidescrollers people like to complain about). For example, Volume or Stories would have been good candidates for plus titles to give them more exposure.

Jingo

That boss attack with all the balls reminds me of Nier, really close, wonder if it was a inspiration

NeoRaider

It looks like my kind of game after seeing some gameplay and first two bosses. I think that i'm gonna love this.
I mean i knew from the first trailer/gameplay what to expect but i am even more sure now.

Great to see that game will be free for PS+, but it's kinda pricey on PC for few hours of gameplay imo.

I was in from the second I saw the first trailer. Boss fights are the reason I play Souls games, Platinum Games and Metal Gear games. This game looks like it has that along with the style and soundtrack of Hotline Miami. The news it was PS+ was the best I've had all month.

WITHE1982

Listening to some Carpenter Brut and Toxic Avenger right now and I have to say this game is gonna be awesome for the soundtrack alone. I love a good use of synthwave in games and this looks to be a perfect mix.

A frantic boss-run style game with bullet-hell elements... count me in. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

SomTervo

Wow, wasn't on my radar at all. Stoked to play it.

The idea of 'boss fights only' sounds like what Prince of Persia 2008 was trying to go for, but they messed up IMO by making is almost a dance game.

This looks completely different ofc.

Top Bottom