• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Kibbles

I stripped all the gameplay from the ViDoc and put it together in a nice HD video. Yes, I forgot to cut Tyson Green out at one point (only a second or two), but it took so long to render >_> Not worth re-rendering.

(Should be up in HD soon if not already) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCxS0VKZ9g

I just realized that since Invasion isn't until May 7th... that means no splaser until May 7th. *cries* I need to see how that beast looks and fires in first person. Hopefully some caught it with their gameplay captures for Monday.

Doodis

Natakuu said:
How're people getting the deal? I'd like a heads up before I do it:lol
You need to have caught the "glitch" yesterday and ordered Legendary at the $59.99 price while it was available (which Amazon then canceled today). Then you can call up and plead with them to give you the $99 discount.

Natakuu

Banned
Doodis said:
You need to have caught the "glitch" yesterday and ordered Legendary at the $59.99 price while it was available (which Amazon then canceled today). Then you can call up and plead with them to give you the $99 discount.
Yeah I did catch that and have it ordered, I'll call them in a little while and see if I can get a discount then, thanks:D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kibbles said:
I stripped all the gameplay from the ViDoc and put it together in a nice HD video. Yes, I forgot to cut Tyson Green out at one point (only a second or two), but it took so long to render >_> Not worth re-rendering.

(Should be up in HD soon if not already) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCxS0VKZ9g
Unacceptable, take down the video, no one wants to see this shit.
Kidding man, nice job.

GhaleonEB

Kibbles said:

I just realized that since Invasion isn't until May 7th... that means no splaser until May 7th. *cries* I need to see how that beast looks and fires in first person. Hopefully some caught it with their gameplay captures for Monday.
Tyson's cameo at the end is actually kind of hilarious. It's this awesome montage of Reach gameplay for four minutes, then it cuts to Tyson in his hat out of the blue. :lol

I really like all the details that go into the animation. When the flag is dropped off the bridge at 2:59 and lands on the level below, the flag flaps downward on impact. And when the guy picks it up, his hand does this little animation where it loosens and re-grips the flag pole. You can tell the animators have really spent time adding nuance to all of the movements.

That kind of detail applies to everything on display. It's quite remarkably polished.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Geez watching just the straight footage put up by Kibbles I am still blown away by the improvements, I love the impact that head shots have on the death animations.

clav

Kibbles said:

Nice vid.

Thumbs up.

Can't wait.

feel

InvincibleAgent said:
So, you get "Opportunist" if you kill someone who is being assassinated? Stealing the assassin's kill?
I think it's killing someone while they reload, or is it when you steal a kill after someone else stripped the enemy off his shield?

Not a Jellyfish said:
Geez watching just the straight footage put up by Kibbles I am still blown away by the improvements, I love the impact that head shots have on the death animations.
It's like the guy's head burps while the body continues forward and then they both realize they died.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Killing someone while they reload, or is it when you steal a kill?
Also, while not in the Beta, in the shipping game there will be medals for both stealing a kill from someone performing an assassination, and killing the assassin in action (per Luke from a while back).

I'm wondering what happens if I just rocket the both of'em.

neoism said:
Thanks man. I wish Bungle would just make a video of a whole match, with no commentary, just the games audio. It would give us a lot better view on how the game plays, looks, and sounds!
I'm planning to do that exact thing to my first game on Thursday - just render out the entire video of my first run in with Reach. For posterity.

neoism

Kibbles said:

Thanks man. I wish Bungle would just make a video of a whole match, with no commentary, just the games audio. It would give us a lot better view on how the game plays, looks, and sounds!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Letters said:
Killing someone while they reload, or is it when you steal a kill?

I think it is when you "steal a kill", or in other words when someone else gets an assist the person who got the kill is the opportunist.
I hate the phrase "stealing a kill".

GhaleonEB

Not a Jellyfish said:
I think it is when you "steal a kill", or in other words when someone else gets an assist the person who got the kill is the opportunist.
I hate the phrase "stealing a kill".
When someone tells me I stole their kill, I just tell them I gave them an assist.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Son of Godzilla said:
It's like the guy's head burps while the body continues forward and then they both realize they died.

It looks really satisfying to get a well placed head shot on a sprinting enemy. It looks like they get close lined. :lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:
I'm referring to the stat. Helpin' them pad their assists.

Hopefully in Reach they will be more appreciative when playing the Arena knowing they still get points towards their rating for the assist you just gave them. :D

JMizzlin

Pre-ordered Legendary edition today with a huge grin on my face.

Did so at EB Games as I'm sure they'll get a neat pre-order bonus. Now to wait.

Thermite

Awesome update today. Invasion sounds incredibly fun, I cannot freaking wait to get my hands on the beta and play that mode. The campaign-esque feel the objectives have in each phase is a really nice touch. Trying to defend doors and a security system which protects a building that has an important data core inside seems like something that would make a campaign level, but we're going to experience it in multiplayer. Holy. Shit.

Edit: Also, think I'm going to stick with default for Reach. I love having X as my reload/interact button. :p

feel

Contacted Amazon customer support about the order cancellation, and in the end all I got was $10 in credit towards a future videogame purchase, which at least it's something.

Thermite said:
Edit: Also, think I'm going to stick with default for Reach. I love having X as my reload/interact button. :p
Yes! The X button just feels/looks so right as the reload/action button. Looking forward to getting used to playing as default in Reach, specially after urk said it's what he's been using after being a halo 3 bumper jumper user.

Tashi0106 said:
It's only stealing kills if it's FFA. Otherwise, it's called teamwork.
I agree, I worded it badly earlier trying to express what I was referring to. I'm all about helping the team over having a better individual performance, I usually don't care if someone else lands the final headshot.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
I agree, I worded it badly earlier trying to express what I was referring to. I'm all about helping the team over having a better individual performance, I usually don't care if someone else lands the final headshot.

Same, unless it's for your Overkill :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Also, while not in the Beta, in the shipping game there will be medals for both stealing a kill from someone performing an assassination, and killing the assassin in action (per Luke from a while back).
Theres also a medal for getting a map nobody likes 4 games in a row, driving your teammates off a cliff, sending someone an angry message, and running the wrong way with the enemy's flag.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Fantastic in-depth update last night. Slight shame about Invasion and Generator Defence not being immediately available, but that should allow folks to get used to some of the new hotness of the Beta before it gets better.

i just noticed, is the plasma repeater the new name for the plasma rifle? I always through plasma rifle was a laughable name for the weapon, considering how crappy it was. Assuming the name change comes with an upgrade out of obsolescence, it's pretty ironic that "repeater" sounds middling at best.

EazyB

Banned
Thermite said:
I ran some tests and I've found out that reloading with B takes a millisecond longer than than reaching for X.

With the time I save I should be able to play as well as Nutter now.

Son of Godzilla said:
i just noticed, is the plasma repeater the new name for the plasma rifle? I always through plasma rifle was a laughable name for the weapon, considering how crappy it was. Assuming the name change comes with an upgrade out of obsolescence, it's pretty ironic that "repeater" sounds middling at best.
Two separate guns. The repeater is MP=exclusive and was introduced to give elites something similar to the AR to spawn with while the plasma rifle will still be in campaign but I'm not sure if it'll make its way to MP (probably not).

Son of Godzilla said:
Both guns are in Reach. Repeater is in multi and is stronger, and slows when overheating. Rifle is in campaign and is the gun you're familiar with.

InvincibleAgent said:
Both guns are in Reach. Repeater is in multi and is stronger, and slows when overheating. Rifle is in campaign and is the gun you're familiar with.
Trying to read NeoGAF on Elinks... text based browsers are fun.
Edit: Completely missed the posts. Traversing using this is interesting. Must read text based BWU on HBO...

Thermite

EazyB said:
I ran some tests and I've found out that reloading with B takes a millisecond longer than than reaching for X.

With the time I save I should be able to play as well as Nutter now.

:lol Believe!

Cool. That made me think, there should be a medal for killing someone before they fire a shot/throw a grenade/melee after spawning :lol

Paired with a system that has good enough spawn points as to eliminate spawn killing *cough bungie cough* that would be pretty rad.

Should be an achievement for killing a guy who is teabagging your teammate

"Bag em and tag em" or somesuch

I am curious to see the actual list of achievements though :D

Kibbles said:

Sweet! Thanks for the vid, its so super awesome I can eat
watch
it all day! To be honest im sort of happy with the staggered approach to matchmaking, I wont feel the need to spread myself so thin on day one, this also gives us all time to get an Arena rating before Invasion comes out!

I hope there arent any multiplayer achievments, I like the challenges idea, but achievments would just make people play the game in weird ways. The only achievments ide like to see online are like very basic ones that dont affect gameplay, I.E. Earn 500 credits.

Out of interest theres no way of getting maybe just a months worth of Bungie Pro is there? Im going to want to render bits and peices of my Reach gameplay but probably wont use it for Halo 3 much (mostly because I cant save films anymore).

Diablohead I actually dreamt I had played the beta and woke up while making a forum post on NeoGaf "Its super awesome", how messed up is that, after the beta im going for therapy!

I was very restless last night while trying to sleep, my thoughts were on reach and it was annoying not being able to fall asleep when tired :lol

Not a Jellyfish said:
It looks really satisfying to get a well placed head shot on a sprinting enemy. It looks like they get close lined. :lol

It's actually clotheslined... as in how it would appear that the person ran into a clothes line. From when I was 9-10 years old and I watched WWF, I could hardly understand the commentary as well (although it's probably changed now).

This thread moves super fast. It just took me twenty minutes to catch up, including the update, which was great. Turns out I was right about how Invasion works, I just didn't realize there were multiple territories you could hit to activate the next phase.

A little worried about the controls. I don't know why we can't have a Bumper Jumper hybrid where Armour Ability is on the right bumper and melee is relegated to a face button (B?), but hey. I'll adapt. Slowly. While swearing.

Top Bottom