• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

I love Bumper Jumper but I'm not sure that I'd want my Armor Ability to be mapped to X.. that means no looking around while you're jetpacking or evading :(

I'd like to use this one:

layout_chompy.png

Sure it means I can't look while tossing grenades as well, but I think it's worth the trade-off. I'd imagine you folks at Bungie have tried it though?

urk said:
Off until the 7th. Sorry, dude.
Wow, that is honestly tough to hear... Had this been a few days earlier I would definitely have used some vacation days.

Oh well, guess my first time with invasion will have to be at PAX (hopefully?)

Thanks urk

Spasm

hay make this happin bungle and ill give u $20!

2h2grxw.jpg

But seriously, am I the only one who just about never crouches? This isn't Counter Strike!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
timetokill said:
Sure it means I can't look while tossing grenades as well, but I think it's worth the trade-off. I'd imagine you folks at Bungie have tried it though?

I don't know. I need to be able to look around while tossing grenades, good grenade placement is a huge advantage in Halo.

Spasm said:

But seriously, am I the only one who just about never crouches? This isn't Counter Strike!
Not even if you have Active Camo and want to sneak around and rack up some kills? It is the only time I really ever crouch but it helps out.

Spasm

darkressurection said:
Not even if you have Active Camo and want to sneak around and rack up some kills? It is the only time I really ever crouch but it helps out.
Not even when sneaking. I just push the left thumbstick softly, like God intended.

Trasher

Seems there was a bit of confusion coming out of the most recent press previews (and from some of leftovers we neglected to strip out of the menus. Whoops!). Here’s some stuff you won’t find in the Beta (it’s super awesome): Scarabs, the Mongoose, Night Vision, Brutes, Push to Talk, Race, Squad Regrouping, puppies that never die, that purple WIP map from the ViDoc, Team Chat, melees from behind that don’t kill dudes with one pop, muffin tops, Bumper Jumper…oh wait, Bumper Jumper is back.
What? No team chat?

Btw:

Halo CE: 10
Halo 2: 10
Halo 3: 10...now 7 :lol

Is my age beginning to show?!?! I WILL BE TEN ONCE AGAIN IN REACH BITCHES!

So thinking back to the Tom Morello leaks.. I wonder if the "Halogram" will make the final game.. I could see that being a pretty fun ability, if not complicated.

Metalic Sand said:
Same, Goodbye legendary... Back to regular.

I called Amazon and they offered the game to me for $99 for the mishap. So while its not 59.99, its definitely nice. Just give them a call and be friendly. It works.

feel

Dammit, Amazon thing was too good to be true, but I'm more than happy to settle for Limited, that thankfully includes everything good. I won't even try for the $99 price, the extra stuff is not worth the $20 for me.

urk said:
I was using Bumper Jumper for Halo 3. Went back to Default for Reach. At first I was all WTF, but now I'm like ZOMG.
Nice to hear, I was thinking of doing this.

Trasher said:
What? No team chat?

Looking at the control layout screens, I'm lead to believe that in the final game we will be able to toggle at will (using dpad up and down) between only team chat (like in Halo 3 ranked) or team chat plus proximity any voice (like in halo 2). I think "no Team Chat" means that in the beta proximity voice will be in every game.

Spirit3

Demoncarnotaur - $99 from $159, what's not to love about that. I'm an Aussie, so I'm going to have to shell $200 (after currency conversion and shipping taxes apply) for the Legendary. I'd take $99.

Mayyhem

Demoncarnotaur said:
So thinking back to the Tom Morello leaks.. I wonder if the "Halogram" will make the final game.. I could see that being a pretty fun ability, if not complicated.

I called Amazon and they offered the game to me for $99 for the mishap.
So while its not 59.99, its definitely nice. Just give them a call and be friendly. It works.
Dude, your
super
lucky

Spirit3 said:
Demoncarnotaur - $99 from $159, what's not to love about that. I'm an Aussie, so I'm going to have to shell $200 (after currency conversion and shipping taxes apply) for the Legendary. I'd take $99.

Oops, i may have worded that oddly.Ouch on those prices.. I absolutely am happy I got it for $99, and definitely jumped on that offer. I recommend others who had it ordered to for 59.99 to call them up and see if they will offer anything.

assuming I read that right, it seemed I wasn't happy with $99?

Mayyhem said:
Dude, your
super
lucky

Yup I am. From the last page:

Demoncarnotaur said:
Like everyone else I got the cancelation notice from Amazon.. =(

I called them, and while they couldn't give it to me for 59.99, they did allow me to purchase it for $99.99 which is still
super
awesome.

:lol

Spasm

What magical Amazon number are you guys calling? I could only find where they call you back, and was stonewalled on $99. Best they could offer me was $10 off a future order.

Spasm said:
What magical Amazon number are you guys calling? I could only find where they call you back, and was stonewalled on $99. Best they could offer me was $10 off a future order.

1-800-201-7575

Not sure why I got $50 off. Maybe it is because I called yesterday and they said they would honor it. They pulled up the record verifying I called, so maybe that is why. Not sure.

soldat7

I just decided to make the switch to bumper jumper. Not gonna switch back anytime soon. I'm not that great with it yet, but I like it.

chess

Unless vertical look sensitivity is now tied to horizontal, I don't see an option to change it. :(
Really hoping that makes the final game since Reach is so much more vertical with the addition of jetpacks.

GhaleonEB said:
While sounding awesome, this also confused me. The goal of Invasion is to prevent the Elites from stealing the Data Core. So in celebration of preventing the theft, it gets blown up? Why not just blow it up in the first place? :lol
Because that's not fun!
greenthumb.jpg

And with that, I can say that Green Thumb is the best button layout in Reach. Melee on the stick? Zoom on RB? Equipment on LB? Yes please.

One more week!

Presco

Spasm said:

2h2grxw.jpg

Oh gawd yes. Looks like a great solution! I can't imagine the finger gymnastics required to use a jetpack with the AA on X. Dudes who rolled with the claw back in the day might be able to manage it, but not me.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Church RvB said:
When will console games allow us to format our own controls? Is it really that difficult to allow? Serious question. TF2 did it!
I asked about that. Didn't get much of a solid answer.

Looks like Recon for me.

Kapura

Banned
vhfive said:
I think that's the one I'll be rocking. I wish I could have had bumpers for equip and jump (on left and right respectively) but Recon is so close.

I also wanted to say out of the blue that Sai-kun's avatar beard is by far the most hilarious. I laugh every time I watch it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Default == Recon

Recon == Default

Also, sensitivities:

Halo CE - 3
Halo 2 - 6
Halo 3 - 6, 10, 5, 4, and now 3 for good
Halo: Reach...we'll soon find out :D

zumphry

Banned
The update (it's super awesome).

Definitely going to try either Bumper Jumper or Recon for Reach. 10 more days until the beta (for the plebeians like me) is going to be hard.

Blueblur1

Update was great. I can't wait to play on the 3rd! Gonna take a half day off of work though. Just in case something screwy happens in the morning. :lol

To quote a game from earlier tonight "Man, I don't know about that Reach game, I just don't think it'll be as good as Halo" :lol

Good games Chapel btw.

Great update, I'm ok with delaying the playlists, gotta admit I'd probably stay in Invasion after trying out the rest if it was available from the start.

Kapura

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Oh hey that looks awesome! Wait what the fuck? RB for reload? I don't want that ugly fucker rearing his head again. :lol

Switch RB and X in Recon and we would have a decent control scheme.
I dunno, when I initially got Halo 3 I was a duel wielding noob. The default control scheme worked very well for that: Left reload was over left trigger, right reload over right trigger. Since then I'm seen the light of Bumper Jumper, but I stilll like the idea of keeping the most basic weapon functions in roughly the same area. Bonus: You can only either reload or shoot at one time, so you'll never need to bring up another finger to feel prepared. I usually need to do just that when going for the AR beatdown on BJ.

Blueblur1

Spasm said:
Damn, I got $5 off a future order. :(

Mayyhem

I wonder what happens when you quit games in reach, I mean in halo 3 you lost an exp. What happends in Reach? what about quitting in Arena?

Kapura said:
And then Froman gives you a taste of his Hadouken if it required a host migration.
and then Richard Simmons comes to your house with his own bungie podcast intro, and doesn't leave.

EDIT: I'm trying to get used to bumper jumper, but it's really frustrating, especially when I keep dying from pressing the wrong buttons, and then the person who killed me laughs and says, "pwned." *shakes fist!!*

Sai

recon.jpg

C'moooonnnn! Just switch up X with LB and I won't have to take up until the tail end of the beta to adjust to this minor change. :lol

[EDIT] - On second thought, seeing as how you'll have to look around, or shoot while using certain AA, I suppose using the X Button for them would be kind of inconvenient.

I'll do my best. :(

Top Bottom