• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

neoism

Plywood said:
Question: There isn't gonna be any 'exclusive' armor, this time, right?
I think Bungie should have their own, exclusive ones, 100000X more cooler than Recon, that only they can have! :p

Oozer3993

Dax01 said:
Does that mean we'll be able to unlock armor sets for the Elites in the Beta?

I think in one of the last Updates Urk mentioned that we'll only be able to tweak our Spartans in the Beta.

Letters said:
Things are looking slightly positive, people have been calling/emailing customer support about it, and have been all told that they will be charged just the 60 dollars on release, and that the order won't get canceled, unless having ordered multiple copies of it, or if orders exceed stock. Of course, this could all go to hell in an instant if someone from amazon management just feels like canceling them, without caring about what CS told people.

Awesome.

Sikamikanico said:

Audacity

Import the song into it, select the whole thing, then go to Effect -> Amplify then click OK. It will automatically turn up the volume as much as it can.

bobs99 ... said:
Depends how its done really, but this really is the perfect testing period. If theyre not sure about the strength of something and potentially want to push it, seeing how millions of people react to it in a limited time beta isnt going to hurt in the long run.

I would also love to feel like a god with pre-nerfed weapons
for a limited time only
:lol

Oh yeah to the guy that made the podcast into, try Audacity, im sure I saw a function which somehow magically increases the volume of a sound. It's easy to use but has a bunch of features so there will probably be a way to make it work for your podcast!

Thanks dude!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea Audacity is the best. I used that HEAVILY for my submission.

Also that Froman Kamehameha is fucking amazing.

Kapura

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Yea Audacity is the best. I used that HEAVILY for my submission.

Also that Froman Kamehameha is fucking amazing.
Agreed on both points. I wish I had a bigger monitor to keep the files in line. Additionally, importing and cutting down the podcasts for the tiny tid-bits I used took a loooong time.

Hey guys! I'm late to this thread! I'm very very pumped for the beta. I was thinking about it today, and my excitement grew too intense and a near by tree caught fire. My mental state has always kind of been on the decline, but jeez...

Oh also I think the whole beard thing is really weird. Photoshopping stuff onto other stuff... You guys is crazy guys...

Also I can't wait to get my Legendary Edition! Just look at this thing! I love that the users custom armor tweaks make it onto the statue and everything. :D

23uskmg.jpg

Looking forward to posting more in this thread! REEEEACH!

Kibbles

Buttonbasher said:
Hey guys! I'm late to this thread! I'm very very pumped for the beta. I was thinking about it today, and my excitement grew too intense and a near by tree caught fire. My mental state has always kind of been on the decline, but jeez...

Oh also I think the whole beard thing is really weird. Photoshopping stuff onto other stuff... You guys is crazy guys...

Also I can't wait to get my Legendary Edition! Just look at this thing! I love that the users custom armor tweaks make it onto the statue and everything. :D

23uskmg.jpg

Looking forward to posting more in this thread! REEEEACH!
The return of Wilford Brimley!

Sikamikanico - Loved the use of the respawn timer at the end! (It's super awesome).

As for the podcast LOL @ the Gifs and references to the vidoc and other videos :lol Also that old pic of Boneyard is insane, almost looks like Halo 2. The new picture looks incredibly super awesome. This also got me excited:
So, what are the Spartans doing all this time? Simple. They’re killing the Elites and defending their territory. If the Spartans can hold out during any one phase, the game is over and they score a victory. In celebratory fashion, UNSC Longswords will fly overhead and scrub the zone with a tactical strike, rendering any and all data stored on the core completely de-datafied! Skunked!

No words describe the potential this has, they programmed in weapon drops and tactical airstrikes, thats just super awesome. I quite simply cant wait for the beta, from the sounds of it, its going to be super awesome.

When Urk started talking about stuff that media outlets had mistakenly reported are in the beta, was I the only one who hoped he would list "aliasing." I so expected it to happen.

Fantastic update, otherwise. I really, really wish the Beta launch did not correspond with one of my busiest times of the year . . .

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone else keep thinking about the sniper on the statue and how there going to manage that without it breaking.

I can already see the stories of there statues sniper being broke.

Kapura

Banned
I liked a few select lines from the BWU (and, of course all of the content)
urk said:
You might imagine that things get chaotic here. That’s ‘cause they do. You got a good imagination!
Besides, Spartans start off on the high ground, Obi Wan Kenobi-style.
If Invasion isn’t your thing, then you’re probably one of those people who are impossible to please. Because it’s super awesome. Seriously, it’s really fun.
All stores everywhere are now accepting pre-orders for Halo: Reach.
I also heard the beta is parenthetically super awesome. hype hype hype hype.

masterkajo

After reading the Bungie update I somehow get the feeling that the Halo Reach Beta is going to be super awesome...

Anyway, if someone wants to donate a 48 hour trial code my way, I'll check for myself.

i swore after halo 3 that i would never get anything but the standard edition again...but now the journal??? dammit...i just might...maybe.

The Lamonster said:
"default control scheme"
um, these controls suck. What the hell? Will there be any way to go back to RB reload, B melee, LB switch grenades etc?

recon.jpg

with the exception of x for grenade switching its basically the same...

wwm0nkey

masterkajo said:
After reading the Bungie update I somehow get the feeling that the Halo Reach Beta is going to be super awesome...

Anyway, if someone wants to donate a 48 hour trial code my way, I'll check for myself.
I think I have 2 laying around from the Blur beta I might be able to give you if I find them.

GhaleonEB

I made some tweaks to the OP based on the Update. Look forward to the Reach Guide next week. :D

The tweak to grenades is interesting - starting with more than the current cap in a Loadouts as a temporary boost is a nuance I wasn't expecting. The two grenade cap will limit grenade spam as well.

I'm digging the initial Invasion Loadouts. Elites start with more close quarters weapons than Spartans, so they have to be more careful about closing the distance, but once they do, they've got the advantage due to their attributes. Should make for some great strategies in that first phase.

Wizpig

I just read the update and... I think a new meme is born.

edit. Oh and
If you were looking for something a little more slick on the marketing side, don’t worry, there will be plenty of time for that stuff in the not so distant future.
Are you guys looking for something like that? not me, I love these vidocs.

Kibbles

The Lamonster said:
default.jpg

um, these controls suck. What the hell? Will there be any way to go back to RB reload, B melee, LB switch grenades etc?
Recon mode says hi. Although, LB isn't switch grenades.

I'll probably play default, if that doesn't work out for me, I'll go back to good ole' Bumper Jumper.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Metalic Sand said:
Anyone else keep thinking about the sniper on the statue and how there going to manage that without it breaking.

They're packing the weapons in separately to prevent that from happening.

NJ Shlice

Well I was going to learn Bumper Jumper for Reach but I guess not anymore. I don't see how anyone can function without the armor ability being mapped to either LB or RB?

Looks like its default for me

urk said:

Cat-sized weapons confirmed. pew pew pew

Buttonbasher said:
That's really smart. My Rookie action dude that came with ODST is still missing and arm (but I kind of like him that way).

mine has no left hand. gives him some character sitting on my desk at work though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Metalic Sand said:

You don't have to worry about that. It has been considered.

edit. Urked.

MrDaravon

Funny/ironic that urk mentioned that Microsoft is saying the Legendary Edition will actually be limited; I just got back from Gamestop to pre-order the Legendary (I had like $230 in credit). The clerk there was actually surprisingly nice and knowledgeable. He asked if I had seen the statue yet and when I said yes he gave me two thumbs up. He then said "They're individually numbered, so it'll actually be limited....hopefully." Then there was a pause and we both started laughing at same time :lol

Oozer3993

Some notes from the update:

Fail to shut down the generators in the four minutes allotted for Phase 1, and the Spartans will win. Cue the Marty music and start the celebration.

Marty music in multiplayer? At least during the postgame. Sweet.

If the Spartans can hold out during any one phase, the game is over and they score a victory. In celebratory fashion, UNSC Longswords will fly overhead and scrub the zone with a tactical strike, rendering any and all data stored on the core completely de-datafied! Skunked!

So if the Spartans win, they get Marty music and a Longsword strike? Awesome!

Bumper Jumper is back comfortably familiar. I am pleased.

We worked directly with Eric Nylund to ensure that the details contained therein married up perfectly with our game fiction as well as the fiction explored in the novels.

Oh that is just too good.

T'Zariah

Banned
Everyone have their work excuses ready? :lol Here's what happen today:

Me:Yo, John, I'm taking off May 3rd to May 8th
John:*Raises Eyebrow* Why?
Me:*shrugs* Halo:Reach beta
John: I understand.

:lol :lol :lol I did NOT expect that.

Schmitty

Looks like I'll be using Recon for my controls, unless I get used to Default. I'm surprised Generator defense doesn't start until the 14th

urk said:
Out of curiosity, which control scheme do you roll with in Reach, and which did you use for Halo 3? I've been all over the place: (Default H1, Boxer H2, Bumper Jumper H3), but I'm thinking about going back to default for Reach.

Man, the update was super awesome this week. Bumper Jumper makes me happy :D Will be a shame not to have aiming while using AA's but its a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Honestly can't wait for May 3rd now. Everything is just looking super awesome.

I think Urk broke his personal record for GAF in-jokes/references this week too :lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Schmitty said:
Looks like I'll be using Recon for my controls, unless I get used to Default. I'm surprised Generator defense doesn't start until the 14th

I think part of that is because they really want the Arena system to take a real good beating and see how their rankings and system hold up.

Schmitty said:
I'm surprised Generator defense doesn't start until the 14th

if anything i hope that means we're most likely to get 3 weeks of beta. i know we keep seeing 2 as the minimum, but i'm guessing that's a worse case, our netcode is spontaneously manifesting wilford brimleys
unless that's the secret fourth phase of invasion
sort of thing.

GhaleonEB

If the Spartans can hold out during any one phase, the game is over and they score a victory. In celebratory fashion, UNSC Longswords will fly overhead and scrub the zone with a tactical strike, rendering any and all data stored on the core completely de-datafied! Skunked!
While sounding awesome, this also confused me. The goal of Invasion is to prevent the Elites from stealing the Data Core. So in celebration of preventing the theft, it gets blown up? Why not just blow it up in the first place? :lol

Top Bottom