• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Syracuse022 said:
Out of curiosity, which control scheme do you roll with in Reach, and which did you use for Halo 3? I've been all over the place: (Default H1, Boxer H2, Bumper Jumper H3), but I'm thinking about going back to default for Reach.

I was using Bumper Jumper for Halo 3. Went back to Default for Reach. At first I was all WTF, but now I'm like ZOMG.

Schmitty

GhaleonEB said:
While sounding awesome, this also confused me. The goal of Invasion is to prevent the Elites from stealing the Data Core. So in celebration of preventing the theft, it gets blown up? Why not just blow it up in the first place? :lol
Because that makes too much sense.

Mark V

Just got this from Amazon: :(

Hello,

We're contacting you about order #XXX. Unfortunately, we recently discovered that an error caused the following item(s) to be displayed at an incorrect price:

Halo Reach Legendary Edition

In this case, we're unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price. Therefore, we've cancelled your order for this item.

At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced. We're very sorry for this disappointing news.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com

Wizpig

I don't even know the English names for the controls, I just use default.
You know, B = Melee, RB = Reload...

What I still can't quite figure out is the "best" Look Sensitivity, default is 3, I like that but also use 5 sometimes... what about you?
And I guess I'll just keep the default one for the beta.

Schmitty

Wizpig said:

What I still can't quite figure out is the "best" Look Sensitivity, default is 3, I like that but also use 5 sometimes... what about you?
I usually stay around 7.

Wizpig said:

Sensitivity 4 for me. 3 is a little slow. I also switch off vibration, it throws off my super awesome aiming skillz.

Question for Urk and compadres: Can AA's be swithced to toggle mode ala crouch? Could be quite handy for Sprint and Armor Lock while using BJ

Doodis

ghostmind said:
The hammer drops - just got my Amazon cancellation email with no offer of giftcert.
Dern bern it. Knew it was too good to be true. Looks like the limited edition for me then.

Oozer3993

Wizpig said:

For Halo 1 I was default (3), for Halo 2 I was usually 7, dipping up to 10 whenever the fancy struck me. For Halo 3 I usually stick with 5 or 6.

P.S. Amazon canceled mine too :( On to the limited!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
While sounding awesome, this also confused me. The goal of Invasion is to prevent the Elites from stealing the Data Core. So in celebration of preventing the theft, it gets blown up? Why not just blow it up in the first place? :lol

You're buying the Longswords time! Plus, it's awesome.

LukeSmith

Oozer3993 said:
For Halo 1 I was default (3), for Halo 2 I was usually 7, dipping up to 10 whenever the fancy struck me. For Halo 3 I usually stick with 5 or 6.

H:CE - 10
H2 - 5
H3 - 2
H:ODST - 2
H:R - 1 or 2

I'm getting old. :(

GhaleonEB

urk said:
You're buying the Longswords time! Plus, it's awesome.
:lol

Really, "it's awesome" is the only justification needed in multiplayer. It just read funny.

"Yay, we protected the Core!"

*whooooosh.....BOOM*

".....fuck."

urk said:
I was using Bumper Jumper for Halo 3. Went back to Default for Reach. At first I was all WTF, but now I'm like ZOMG.
I think that's how I'll roll then. It just feels like sprint and jetpack are better served on a shoulder button than jump, as nice as Bumper Jumper was for H3.

urk said:
You're buying the Longswords time! Plus, it's super awesome.
Also, fixed.

Do the Spartans get out before the Longsword saturation bombing, or are they just acceptable casualties (or, rather, M.I.A.'s)?

Wizpig

The last section of the update and all these "prizes" coming up reminded me of something; in an old Bungie Podcast (before ODST came out I think) there were rumors about some rewards for people with an old Halo: CE PC CD Key... did I miss updates on this or what?

Of course this isn't "in topic" but maybe it's going to be Reach rewards :p
Domino Theory said:
For some reason, ODST's controls felt a lot slower than Halo 3's. I rock 4 for Halo 3, but do 7 for ODST. What is this I don't even.
It's the difference between impersonating an ODST and a Spartan, I think.

Schmitty

BladedExpert said:
2 is actually really good for sniping and a steady long range BR (or DMR). Plus he's getting old :p
Is it really? I've always figured the faster the better for quick turns and changes.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
LukeSmith said:
H:CE - 10
H2 - 5
H3 - 2
H:ODST - 2
H:R - 1 or 2

I'm getting old. :(

Pretty similar drop in sensitivity over the years for me. :lol
I'm talking games people. Where are your minds?

I can't kill anything with a sniper rifle without dropping it down a few notches.

Domino Theory said:
For some reason, ODST's controls felt a lot slower than Halo 3's. I rock 4 for Halo 3, but do 7 for ODST. What is this I don't even.

Can't say I ever noticed the difference in ODST, kept it the same as Halo 3. Halo 2 on the other hand I played on 6. Maybe that was just a by-product of crazy aim assist though.

Schmitty said:
Is it really? I've always figured the faster the better for quick turns and changes.

In a close quarters situation you can be out manouvered sometimes at those speeds, but if you're a long rifle kinda guy, like Mr Smith, you really don't want to be in those situations to begin with.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
:lol

Really, "it's awesome" is the only justification needed in multiplayer. It just read funny.

"Yay, we protected the Core!"

*whooooosh.....BOOM*

".....fuck."

In early builds we just dumped a shitload of fusion coils onto the map.

Kapura

Banned
I was sad to learn that the eight grenades total have been toned down to four. I trust Sage, Josh, and The Beard, but I always like having more gren pockets in my utility belt.
urk said:
Yes, pretty sure everybody did that in Halo 3's forge, which is like a very early build of Reach. Same engine, right ;)

Aw man, I just found out about the staggered release of mode.

Sucks that I'll have to slum it in Arena for a few days before getting to the good stuff, but I guess Bungie can get more data out of the beta test if they can funnel everybody to specific modes.

Plus, Arena should be a good place to learn the ropes with the various loadouts.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FeartheFro.jpg

RaveFro.gif

More, plz. These make us so very happy.

Oozer3993

Wizpig said:
The last section of the update and all these "prizes" coming up reminded me of something; in an old Bungie Podcast (before ODST came out I think) there were rumors about some rewards for people with an old Halo: CE PC CD Key... did I miss updates on this or what?

That was a (very intriguing) nugget dropped in a podcast last year, but they haven't talked about it since.

Lower sensitivity makes me feel more powerful. When it's too high I feel like a nude runner that's leaping and jumping evading capture. 2-3 is the sweet spot for me.

urk said:
Sounds like a game a friend of mine made in Forge where we made a box filled with Fusion cores and tried to duel each other with shotguns without blowing up everyone.

stldave2

I will be in Flordia until the 7th, however I really want to play the beta on the 3rd. It was cheaper to have comcast hook up the condo with internet than it was to change my return flight a few days earlier. I really hope the weather is shitty so I won't feel guilty skipping the beach to play the beta:lol

I'll probably start with bumper jumper because that is what I am used too. We'll see how/when I use armor abilities to see what I need on the shoulder button.

urk said:
They're packing the weapons in separately to prevent that from happening.

Is it weird that im almost tempted to get Legendary now just to have a tiny Sniper rifle?

I think im going to have tough decisions to make between Defualt and Bumper Jumper, I guess ill switch with defualt for now. Hmm. I actually know 1 guy who plays on 10 sensitivity, its so horriible it just makes me dizzy lol, how do you guys do it?

Kibbles

Pretty soon we'll have gameplay videos up. :D On Monday Halo Waypoint is going to have videos of Reach up brought to you by the folks over at Machinima's Inside Gaming. I wonder if they just did some narration and such or if they did machinima stuff as well.

urk said:
Woah I totally forgot about that. Thank god I still have my cd case and yellow sticker on the back (not that I would get rid of it anyways) =) Will this be put to use before the game comes out?

Like everyone else I got the cancelation notice from Amazon.. =(

I called them, and while they couldn't give it to me for 59.99, they did allow me to purchase it for $99.99 which is still
super
awesome.

I love the idea of a longsword bombardment. :D . Do they shoot down the Phantoms also?

ManCannon said:
Obligatory Urk update spoiler:
the Invasion playlist will be turned on starting May 7th.
That's incredible... I fly back to work on May 7th...

I wont get a chance to play Invasion during the beta period, that is devastating. :(

Will it be turned on for F&F and then back off for May 3rd? Or just off until the 7th..

Top Bottom