• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Magni

Gui_PT said:
For those of you who are buying the LE, do you actually plan on using the flaming helmet?

In Campaign/Firefight, why not.
In non-MLG customs/social MM, why not.
In Arena/MLG customs, hell no :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Yeah, I'll be using the Flaming Helmet all the time. It's attached to the Noble 6 helmet (which is win), I won't be using the Active Camo AA that much and using Armor Lock while having your head on fire is too good to pass up. :p

xray49er

Not really A halo fan but would love to try the beta. I just recently bought my son the 360 that came with forza III and halo reach. Does anyone know if i can access the beta through the pack in game or does it have to be a brand new store bought halo reach. Thanks in advance

big ander

xray49er said:
Not really A halo fan but would love to try the beta. I just recently bought my son the 360 that came with forza III and halo reach. Does anyone know if i can access the beta through the pack in game or does it have to be a brand new store bought halo reach. Thanks in advance
I'm assuming you mean Halo 3 ODST, not Reach. If so, the answer is yes. All ODST copies, used or not, will work for the beta. But Bungie deserves your dough, they work hard, why not grab it new? :p

GhaleonEB

I'm agnostic about the DLC armor.

I tend to get really into unlockables, and I value in-game stuff I've saved up for or otherwise earned. So I'm probably more likely to be rocking some weird combination of stuff that I unlocked via credits than to be wearing flaming armor that I got from a DLC code. I can remember three or four other games I've bought that had premium DLC with the LE's or as pre-order bonuses, and I gave all of those codes away; they're just not something I value. Which is what's making the Legendary set hard for met to pick up: it's another $70 for a statue. A good looking one, but I'm not sure it's worth $70, since that's the only other differentiator from the middle package.
Plywood said:
Question: There isn't gonna be any 'exclusive' armor, this time, right?
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25773

Blueblur1

xray49er said:
You probably bought the Forza 3/Halo 3: ODST bundle. And yes, you can use that copy of Halo 3: ODST to access the Halo: Reach Beta that begins on May 3rd. You will be able to download the Halo: Reach Beta by accessing the Extras Menu in the Halo 3: ODST title screen.

xray49er said:

Hey, nice purchase :D

Are you sure you didnt mean it was Halo ODST in the package deal? Im guessing you got ODST but of course I may be wrong. Have you got the game already, or are they going to send it to you as soon as its out? If you have it already, its ODST.

If so the beta comes on the story mode disk of ODST.

Wow, how many times did I say ODST in one single post :lol

spvuir.jpg

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:
I'm agnostic about the DLC armor.

I tend to get really into unlockables, and find I tend to value in-game stuff I've saved up for or otherwise earned. So I'm probably more likely to be rocking some weird combination of stuff that I unlocked via credits that to be wearing flaming armor that I got from a DLC code. I can remember three or four other games I've bought that had premium DLC with the LE's or as pre-order bonuses, and I gave all of those codes away; they're just not something I value. Which is what's making the Legendary set hard for met to pick up: it's another $70 for a statue. A good looking one, but I'm not sure it's worth $70, since that's the only other differentiator from the middle package.

This. Armor coming with the Legendary Edition just doesn't interest me because I didn't earn it, I bought it.

I am all about unlockables, really going to get sucked into MP because of it.

Gui_PT

ZayneH said:
Well, since I already suck at Halo, there's no other option than for me to use the flaming helmet then. :lol

Let's be battle bros!

Letters said:
-Lol, you paid 150$ for legendary Halo reach lolololol
-bitch, I'm rich, I bought 10 of those...

I'm only getting it if amazon honors the 60 dollars preorders, if not, I'm totally going with limited, 150 is way too much for me

This is the last Halo game I'll probably buy. And I have no limited or legendary editions of the other halos so after selling a liver ( I really hope that's the one you have 2 of) I ordered the LE

Speaking of jerk kids. I really hope those search filters work as well as they say it does. It'll make the game much less annoying

Things I'd like to know/see:

- Is there going to be Halo 2 style proximity voice?

- It would be cool to do a special jetpack-to-jetpack assassination... like the one guy grabs the victim in mid-air and dive-bombs the victim into the ground, while the assassin pulls up at the last second :lol

- I too would be a little sad to see the bubble shield go but it makes sense when the armor lock is around. The best thing about the bubble (or regen) to me was when you saved your teammate with it... they'd be near death and then "pop!" a bubble would be protecting them

- Using a jetpack to hijack a flying vehicle = awesome

- Is there going to be any changes to the method of getting a player-made forge map into the playlists? Come to think of it I'm not sure how it happens now!

GhaleonEB

Vinterbird said:
http://i43.tinypic.com/spvuir.jpg
holy crap

:lol
timetokill said:

- It would be cool to do a special jetpack-to-jetpack assassination... like the one guy grabs the victim in mid-air and dive-bombs the victim into the ground, while the assassin pulls up at the last second :lol

- I too would be a little sad to see the bubble shield go but it makes sense when the armor lock is around. The best thing about the bubble (or regen) to me was when you saved your teammate with it... they'd be near death and then "pop!" a bubble would be protecting them

- Is there going to be any changes to the method of getting a player-made forge map into the playlists? Come to think of it I'm not sure how it happens now!

To the bold, download this: http://downloads.bungie.net/videos/onthewingsoflove.mov

Jacking vehicles via jet packs is something I never thought of, but is almost certainly in. It didn't occur to me, but jet packs are a great way to level the playing field against the team that has Banshees/Falcons.

Sai-kun

Banned
xray49er said:

It's on the campaign disc of ODST which you should have :)

I just realized that this beta is going to really get in the way of me playing Red Dead Redemption next month....

....maybe I should just quit my job...for awhile.

Can you do that?

Magni

dslgunstar said:
I just realized that this beta is going to really get in the way of me playing Red Dead Redemption next month....

....maybe I should just quit my job...for awhile.

Can you do that?

Get pregnant.

Gui_PT said:
Let's be battle bros!

This is the last Halo game I'll probably buy. And I have no limited or legendary editions of the other halos so after selling a liver ( I really hope that's the one you have 2 of) I ordered the LE

Speaking of jerk kids. I really hope those search filters work as well as they say it does. It'll make the game much less annoying

Nope, only one, you're dead bro.
two kidneys

timetokill said:

Would like to know this as well.

I also want to get rid of the ridiculously annoying timed Postgame Lobby and go back to the Halo 2 style of stay and talk trash for as long as you want.

Proven

Letters said:

I'm only getting it if amazon honors the 60 dollars preorders, if not, I'm totally going with limited, 150 is way too much for me
Pretty much my situation. Amazon or regular.

Proven said:
Pretty much my situation. Amazon or regular.
Yep. If Amazon won't honor those $60 Legendaries, I'm going with standard.

Which is very odd for me, but I have no interest in a special edition if it has no making-of or soundtrack or worthwhile digital goodies.

GhaleonEB

Apologies if this was posted - I saw it on HBO earlier and just now read through it.

IGN interview with Chris Carney. Good stuff all around, but it ends on this note:

IGN: Are you guys talking at all about community tools? I know Forge is in, but Sandbox in ODST was so cool. Anything like that to raise the bar again this time around?

CC: We've got some special stuff coming, but that's all we can really talk about. Actually, I'll use the word 'crazy.' We've got some crazy stuff coming.
:eek

timetokill said:

This. We know they have some plans worked out for mid-air assassinations but one like this would be cool. I also would love to see one where a guy goes to take off with a jetpack and a guy on the ground just grabs him by the neck and slams him down.

Oh god, the options for assassinations are endless. Its going to be awesome..

GhaleonEB said:
To the bold, download this: http://downloads.bungie.net/videos/onthewingsoflove.mov

Jacking vehicles via jet packs is something I never thought of, but is almost certainly in. It didn't occur to me, but jet packs are a great way to level the playing field against the team that has Banshees/Falcons.

:lol :lol Awesome, thanks for that link.

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to hijack via jetpack since I'm pretty sure it's just a radius check to see if you're able to perform the action. I was just thinking about how awesome it is to jack one currently, and how great it will be to hijack one in mid-air and watch the former pilot fall to his doom :lol

The Lamonster said:
Would like to know this as well.

I also want to get rid of the ridiculously annoying timed Postgame Lobby and go back to the Halo 2 style of stay and talk trash for as long as you want.

This would be good as well... it may help people in partying up, and it could also (hopefully) cut down on the number of people who just leave their system running in order to "delevel" their character. So annoying, I run into these guys like every day in Halo 3 nowadays :(

xray49er

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I got the elite bundle with forza 3 and halo odst with a 50 dollar gift card from bestbuy. It was a sweet deal so I guess I'll see you guys in the beta. If anybody wants to give me some tips or play my gamertag is XRAY49ER. Thanks for the quick response

Oozer3993

Letters said:

Ditto. If Amazon does honor the $60 deal, then I'll probably buy a regular copy at Walmart at midnight and then sell it when the Legendary arrived.

GhaleonEB said:
Apologies if this was posted - I saw it on HBO earlier and just now read through it.

IGN interview with Chris Carney. Good stuff all around, but it ends on this note:

This is not fair. I'm already far too hyped for this game. It already has more than I could ask for in a single game. And there's still "crazy" stuff they haven't talked about? Too awesome.

feel

Oozer3993 said:
Ditto. If Amazon does honor the $60 deal, then I'll probably buy a regular copy at Walmart at midnight and then sell it when the Legendary arrived.
Things are looking slightly positive, people have been calling/emailing customer support about it, and have been all told that they will be charged just the 60 dollars on release, and that the order won't get canceled, unless having ordered multiple copies of it, or if orders exceed stock. Of course, this could all go to hell in an instant if someone from amazon management just feels like canceling them, without caring about what CS told people.

GhaleonEB said:

The Elite's going to have armor sets. So he's not going to be tweakable like the Spartan where there's going to be helmets and everything else. There will be armor sets you can unlock for the Elite.
Does that mean we'll be able to unlock armor sets for the Elites in the Beta?

neoism

ManCannon said:
We are staggering the playlist activation specifically to focus the population and our testing efforts. There will be a point where everything is up though.

We haven't committed to the final duration yet but we'll draw a line in the sand next week so people have some kind of expectation. For now I'm just saying it'll be at least two weeks but shouldn't exceed a month. We will see how the release goes, see how we're tracking for our testing goals and be flexible as the beta progresses. Ultimately though we don't want to run it any longer than we have to. (sorry)
Here's hoping for June 1st. :D

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
Fyrewulff actually made a really interesting point on HBO - he said something along the lines of this giving Bungie a chance to power up some weapons and see how it works. Im butchering his post, but it was a really good point. Im looking forward to seeing the "Deathstar" weapons in full glory before Bungie tone them down.
I sure hope not. :(

neoism said:
I sure hope not. :(

Depends how its done really, but this really is the perfect testing period. If theyre not sure about the strength of something and potentially want to push it, seeing how millions of people react to it in a limited time beta isnt going to hurt in the long run.

I would also love to feel like a god with pre-nerfed weapons
for a limited time only
:lol

Oh yeah to the guy that made the podcast into, try Audacity, im sure I saw a function which somehow magically increases the volume of a sound. It's easy to use but has a bunch of features so there will probably be a way to make it work for your podcast!

Top Bottom