• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Havok said:
Giant Bomb is running a limited edition Halo quest on their site (have to be logged in to complete, visit your quest page), and they say there's a chance for a beta key to those that complete it.

Bet you're sorry you made fun of Brad's voice now, eh? (edit: Just caught up on the last page, didn't realize the GB video had turned into full-on douchery. Way to represent, HaloGAF.)

I'm #152 in finishing the quest.

Any idea if it is an early access code or just a regular May 3rd code for non ODST owners?

Mo0

2 Minutes Turkish said:
this

recon.jpg
Wait a sec, so does this mean you're toggling between team chat and everyone chat, since there's no push to talk anymore? That's kinda weird.

EazyB

Banned
Going to bed knowing I'd wake up to fresh Reach footage had an interesting effect on me. I had a dream that I was playing the beta and one of the powerups made you fucking gigantic and you would lumber around the map and stomp on people. Was pretty fucking awesome except the map was Last Resort for some reason. :lol

Anyways, beta's so close I hesitate to call these concerns so I'll instead refer to them as "wait and sees:"
  • Seems like the DMR and NR's slow rate of fire make them take really long to take down opponents. It seems the CQC is much shorter than long range (shotguns, swords, hammers not treated as power weapons any longer) with many of them being one or two hit kills. Voc said the game played a bit longer range than 3 so that gives me hope though.
  • Weapons like the needler, grenade launcher, beam rifle, and plasma rifle seems disproportionately powerful to how easy they are use.
  • Vehicles seem like disposable death traps. With the laser and two lock on weapons (rocket and plasma launchers) it seems easier than ever to take down vehicles with little effort. Combined with EMP from grenade launchers and plasma pistols (glad to see Luke take down someone using the pp) it seems like it could make vehicle use frustrating.
  • Armor lock looks neither balanced nor fun to fight against. On big open maps like Boneyard armor lock won't but that useful because you can easily step out of blast radius and cook some grenades on most of the other, smaller maps I can see it getting really annoying. It's be a lot better if they couldn't lock for a range of time and instead it was one fixed duration so you could plan grenade tosses with less unpredictability.

Anyways, you realize that once you start dreaming about playing the beta that you're sufficiently hyped and ready to actually play it. Just. One. More. Week.

Havok

ashbash159 said:
I'm #152 in finishing the quest.

Any idea if it is an early access code or just a regular May 3rd code for non ODST owners?
I have no idea, I'd love for it to be Friends and Family, but I wouldn't put money on it.

S1kkZ

Dirtbag said:
Boy does armor lock look totally overpowered in this footage.
Maybe if your shields didn't recharge during it, I duno then it'd probably be mildly useless. But hot damn does that look unfair the way it works right now.
watch the luke video. its not unfair. just run away from the person using it and wait. when armor lock is done, shoot or throw grenade.

Mo0

EazyB said:
Armor lock looks neither balanced nor fun to fight against. On big open maps like Boneyard armor lock won't but that useful because you can easily step out of blast radius and cook some grenades on most of the other, smaller maps I can see it getting really annoying. It's be a lot better if they couldn't lock for a range of time and instead it was one fixed duration so you could plan grenade tosses with less unpredictability.
Armor Lock looks to me like a real situational power. When you're in a gigantic field it's ridiculously easy to get out of the blast. Stick yourself in a small room somewhere and you're gonna blast anyone not prepared to get the hell out of the room.

feel

Mo0 said:
Wait a sec, so does this mean you're toggling between team chat and everyone chat, since there's no push to talk anymore? That's kinda weird.
Yeah, my guess a few days ago was also that you can toggle at will between them.

Open mic = Chat works like in Halo 3 social (teammates and nearby enemies)

teamchat = Chat works like in halo 3 ranked (just teammates)

In the beta only open mic will be available.

Pappasman

can armor abilities be toggled with the button or does it need to be held down?. I don't want to have to use the claw to go invis with bumper jumper.

Teknoman

S1kkZ said:
watch the luke video. its not unfair. just run away from the person using it and wait. when armor lock is done, shoot or throw grenade.

Thats what I was thinking.

Letters said:
Yeah, my guess a few days ago was that you can toggle at will between:

Open mic = Chat works like in Halo 3 social (teammates and nearby enemies)

teamchat = Chat works like in halo 3 ranked (just teammates)

In the beta only open mic will be available.

Always liked the way Halo 3 social open mic worked. Enemy proximity chat and all.

Learn the timings of the armour lock and you could probably land a sticky nearly every time, for that second of coming out of that crouch you can't move, you are fucked by that sniper.

Don't tell Sage he'll nerf it!

Really, I don't think it is going to be an issue. Those giantbomb vids were awful, the players were as smart and aware as the zombies in L4D.

Armor Lock is a big "get the fuck out" sign. I know it can get complicated in small areas, but still, no one is forcing us to attack. Bail out and strike back.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. xD

Magni

DopeyFish said:
the shield/marker around the blue teams drop point were blue but the UI is what is wrong, it was red. (so they kept thinking it was their zone because of the red UI marker) when you have 3 different elements (team colour, zone colour, ui colour) doing different things, it's completely unnatural.

Bungie for halo 3 and (from it looks like) reach think about keeping the UI down to 2 colours, Red for being enemy and blue being friendly. there are teams that have the colours of red and blue - and they're the primaries. so ultimately having the UI using those colours is completely confusing... hence one of the long list of reasons that Halo 3 objection completely failed.

in Halo 2, UI was your team colour, even if up to 8 teams it remained consistent. seriously i don't want to have to go through an entire halo beta again bitching about this to not see it fixed. me? I'm not confused about it but it's a travesty of UI design and very damn confusing to rather new players.

This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.

Please!

Loving what I'm seeing otherwise :D

godhandiscen said:
It will feel weird if suddenly all the bounces just appear out of nowhere compared to Halo 3 when the bullet is actually traveling and you are able to see it. However, I trust Bungie to handle it well.
Did it travel in 3? I don't remember so maybe I got that wrong then.

But yeah you can still have bouncing shots even with hitscan.

Mo0

Yeah, wouldn't it be possible to just, uh... hitscan all the bounces? Like the scan goes all the way through bounces and hits instantly anyway?

I could be wrong here :(

gillty

Banned
Church RvB said:
I liked the GiantBomb footage because it was pretty much uncut. Sure they guys didn't know everything about the Beta and Reach in general, but I didn't feel like it was that big of a deal. I say good job to the guys.
this.

For the record, while I made plenty fun of the GB commentary, I don't think they're failing at their jobs or anything for not knowing every detail of every unreleased game, and it seems harsh to hate on them for it. They admit they're not Halo fans, but give their honest impressions anyway. That's fine.

(But I still reserve the right to laugh at the guy talking about his patented pistol/needler combo.)

My goodness just watched the Luke Smith video and this looks so fantastic. I love the little powerslide you can do now to evade it just seems like there are so many little nuances they have added to the combat to keep it consistently fresh. Can't wait for this.

Mo0

BruceLeeRoy said:
My goodness just watched the Luke Smith video and this looks so fantastic. I love the little powerslide you can do now to evade it just seems like there are so many little nuances they have added to the combat to keep it consistently fresh. Can't wait for this.
I find it interesting that the dodge is restricted to one class. If they do it right it'll be two different playstyles balanced to play against each other.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Diablohead said:
Did it travel in 3? I don't remember so maybe I got that wrong then.

But yeah you can still have bouncing shots even with hitscan.
It did travel in Halo 3, and it made up for an awesome effect.

Ten-Song

Shake Appeal said:
For the record, while I made plenty fun of the GB commentary, I don't think they're failing at their jobs or anything for not knowing every detail of every unreleased game, and it seems harsh to hate on them for it. They admit they're not Halo fans, but give their honest impressions anyway. That's fine.

(But I still reserve the right to laugh at the guy talking about his patented pistol/needler combo.)

But they don't know about completely pointless bits of information, like people that eat, sleep, and breathe Halo do! NEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAGE! GRRRRR!

Hugbot

MagniHarvald said:
This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.

Please!

Another one for this, it can get pretty confusing.

feel

MagniHarvald said:

Please!

Where's that dopey post? I can't find it. I totally agree, I get confused so many times in objective games in Halo 3, in symmetrical maps with similar bases I sometimes walk for a bit the wrong way then I see my teammates going the opposite direction, and then I'm like, wait a minute... I guess I should just pay more attention or learn the minuscule little differences between the various UI symbols or whatnot, but dammit, it should be more intuitive.

EazyB

Banned
SMH at people confused about which way to run a flag. If the combination of UI + different bases isn't enough, just stick to grifball for your objective fix.

Havok said:
I have no idea, I'd love for it to be Friends and Family, but I wouldn't put money on it.
They're Friend & Family codes, Brad said there will be more details on how to get them later today. It will involve finishing the quest set though.

#18 :D Would have been earlier but I accidentally reloaded the long video while it was playing :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
SMH at people confused about which way to run a flag. If the combination of UI + different bases isn't enough, just stick to grifball for your objective fix.

If I had a penny for the amount of times I've seen randoms heading towards the wrong way...

... I'd could a second copy of ODST right now
second hand

Hopefully Giant Bomb will do a drawing based on those who completed the quest and not just give it to the first amount of people they have codes for.

Thagomizer said:
Nice water effect at 9:00 in the Giantbomb video.

The graphics look so good. Bungie has a excellent art team so its nice that they finally have a engine that can properly show off some of their more ambitious designs.

Havok

Mark V said:
The GB codes, like other media code giveaways, are Friends and Family aye.

FilthyLies said:
They're Friend & Family codes, Brad said there will be more details on how to get them later today. It will involve finishing the quest set though.

#18 :D Would have been earlier but I accidentally reloaded the long video while it was playing :(
Oh awesome. I'm way down at #355 (I really wish they'd update the iPhone app so I could log in and do quests in between classes (as well as the other issues with it). I've watched that Ask Me Anything three times now.), so I don't expect to get anything, but that would be pretty awesome.

Magni

Letters said:
Where's that dopey post? I can't find it. I totally agree, I get confused so many times in objective games in Halo 3, in symmetrical maps with similar bases I sometimes walk for a bit the wrong way then I see my teammates going the opposite direction, and then I'm like, wait a minute... I guess I should just pay more attention or learn the minuscule little differences between the various UI symbols or whatnot, but dammit, it should be more intuitive.

Four hundred posts back, but it needed to be quoted. Especially for multi-team games, this needs to happen. So much simpler.

EazyB

Banned
Dani said:
If I had a penny for the amount of times I've seen randoms heading towards the wrong way...

... I'd could a second copy of ODST right now
second hand
Randoms can't Halo their way out of a wet paper bag. If that's where we're setting our expectations HaloGAF has hit an all-time low.

So watching that Inside Xbox thing, this pops up:
1058eo7.jpg

IIRC Bungie hasn't said anything about there being more AAs but Tom Morello said there was a halogram one and maybe others. I'd be surprised if there were more AAs for MP as they'd probably want them to be tested in the Beta but having campaign exclusive ones is to be expected. Halo 3 had the turret, invincibility, and invisibility equipment that never made it into MP.

Edit: Jesus, that flaming head permutation is obnoxious. I just might have to t-bag everyone I see who uses that.

Schmitty

Havok said:
Oh awesome. I'm way down at #355 (I really wish they'd update the iPhone app so I could log in and do quests in between classes (as well as the other issues with it). I've watched that Ask Me Anything three times now.), so I don't expect to get anything, but that would be pretty awesome.
Where is this quest thingy?

Havok

Schmitty said:
Where is this quest thingy?
If you log into Giant Bomb, down at the bottom of the screen you'll see a Quest Log link. The quest is number 17 of 24, and if it's not one of the ones displayed on the quest screen, just click on a quest and go to 17 from there, or go down to the Limited Edition Quests tab and some of those will be Reach related.

Portugeezer

So...

Any new .gifs today? :D

Captain Blood said:
I a bit surprised by how quickly the recharge is with some of the AAs. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
I think it would add more variety, from what I've seen they look useful to use, you don't have to keep worrying about not being able to use it, but you can't spam it either.

Trasher

Captain Blood said:
I a bit surprised by how quickly the recharge is with some of the AAs. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Armor lock seems like you can go invulnerable wayyyy too much. And the fact that you can use it for a fraction of a second if you want.

Magni

EazyB said:
Randoms can't Halo their way out of a wet paper bag. If that's where we're setting our expectations HaloGAF has hit an all-time low.

Scenario: Multi Team Oddball

If I'm on Gold Team, playing against Blue Team and Red Team, and Blue Team has the Ball, the Ball indicator should be Blue, not Red.

Do you agree with this, or not?

Schmitty

Havok said:
If you log into Giant Bomb, down at the bottom of the screen you'll see a Quest Log link. The quest is number 17 of 24, and if it's not one of the ones displayed on the quest screen, just click on a quest and go to 17 from there, or go down to the Limited Edition Quests tab and some of those will be Reach related.
Oh wow, I'm not going to watch that 35 minutes thing again plus the trailers

The Luke Smith playthrough on GamesRadar is the only time ive seen the pistol be used properly. Watching all the videos posted people been using the pistol pretty idiotically knowing that theres cross hair bloom they just spam the trigger as opposed to getting good shots.

Kibbles

EazyB said:

1058eo7.jpg

IIRC Bungie hasn't said anything about there being more AAs but Tom Morello said there was a halogram one and maybe others. I'd be surprised if there were more AAs for MP as they'd probably want them to be tested in the Beta but having campaign exclusive ones is to be expected. Halo 3 had the turret, invincibility, and invisibility equipment that never made it into MP.

Edit: Jesus, that flaming head permutation is obnoxious. I just might have to t-bag everyone I see who uses that.
I think that was the Juggernaut on fire.

EazyB said:

1058eo7.jpg

Good catch - it was kind of expected that we would see more.

I hope that they keep it open to add more AA's with DLC (and armor), unlike their inability to with H3. The community can come up with some great things that would be fun to implement.

MagniHarvald said:
Scenario: Multi Team Oddball

If I'm on Gold Team, playing against Blue Team and Red Team, and Blue Team has the Ball, the Ball indicator should be Blue, not Red.

Do you agree with this, or not?

I actually disagree - you want to know which team has the ball so you can deal with them accordingly. If Red team has a power weapon you know to attack a lot more cautiously.

Oozer3993

Thagomizer said:
For the new page:

Anyone know when the build we are seeing is from? The text at the bottom says it's not the Beta.

The Joystiq videos show the date of the press event being April 14th, so before that.

Top Bottom