• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Dabanton

I hope this leads to more game makers adding commentary to their games i would rather have some in depth commentaries vs another rubbish plastic figurine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
sbj3ft.jpg

I suddenly have a massive hard on.

FrankT

hilarygoldstein: Just finished Alan Wake @remedyalerts. It's great when story and gameplay work as one -- Congrats!

Betting he is the IGN reviewer. I guess we shall see Tuesday then.

Haha that is one awesome looking CE.

Shurs

Karma said:
Why is that? You getting the game or not?

It's possible that I'll eventually get the game. I think the game looks good. The only area of contention I have is whether or not this game can be placed in the top tier of console games, graphically.

I'll lay it out some things I like about the game in a list so it's easy for some to understand.

-The gameplay looks good.

-I think the in-game lighting is excellent.

-The game oozes atmosphere.

-The game looks like a tense thriller, we need more games like this.

I would like to know more about the exploration aspects of the game. Once reviews come out, we'll know more. Not that I have a problem with linear gameplay. Some of my favorite games are very linear.

Shurs

Jtyettis said:
Not sure why I was under the impression he didn't even have a 360 heh.

I don't have a 360. I'm going to have to get one eventually. I'm not anti-360, it just doesn't make sense for me to have one at the moment. I was initially scared away because of the RROD stuff, but I figure that, at this point, the newest hardware is just as reliable as the other consoles. Free wi-fi is provided per my lease so I'd have to buy a wi-fi adapter to get online with a 360. I'm against paying for online multiplayer.

There are a number of games that are on 360 but not on PS3 that I'd love to play, including Mass Effect 1/2, Banjo, a bunch of XBLA games, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Dead Rising, Crackdown and more.

It just made more sense at the time I was looking to get back into gaming to buy a PS3. I still don't have enough time to play all the games I want to on that system.

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Not sure why I was under the impression he didn't even have a 360 heh.

Ofcourse he has a 360. Why would he post so much in this thread unless he had a 360 and was thinking of buying Alan Wake?

edit:

Shurs said:
I don't have a 360.

Nevermind.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Shurs said:
It's possible that I'll eventually get the game. I think the game looks good. The only area of contention I have is whether or not this game can be placed in the top tier of console games, graphically.
I'll lay it out some things I like about the game in a list so it's easy for some to understand.

Besides resolution debate how is this not a top graphical game on Consoles? I would really like to hear a top 5 graphical games list from you.

You put up this point

That is graphical is it not?

FrankT

Ok, I didn't think I was dreaming because that would a big obstacle as to getting the game. If I was going to jump in this year I'd just wait it out until the Slim really unless something like AW was just a must have.

Shurs

Metalic Sand said:
Besides resolution debate how is this not a top graphical game on Consoles? I would really like to hear a top 5 graphical games list from you.

Do we really want to get into this again?

Jtyettis said:
Ok, I didn't think I was dreaming because that would a big obstacle as to getting the game. If I was going to jump in this year I'd just wait it out until the Slim really unless something like AW was just a must have.

It might be a must-have. There are enough games on 360 collectively to make it a must-have system, it's just a matter of having the time for all of them, plus the other reasons I stated in my last post.

FrankT

Karma said:
Ofcourse he has a 360. Why would he post so much in this thread unless he had a 360 and was thinking of buying Alan Wake?

Shurs said:
I don't have a 360.

jedimike said:
I really hope this thread doesn't become the Official Alan Wake thread... come on creative GAF, give AW a proper thread.

No worries BruceLeeRoy is on it and I think he said it was going up around the 4th.

So you have 100 posts in a thread dedicated to a game you're not even sure to buy ? And you're saying you don't have enough time for gaming ? :lol

Metalic Sand said:

You put up this point

That is graphical is it not?

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Don't get him started again. Damnit!

LordPhoque said:
So you have 100 posts in a thread dedicated to a game you're not even sure to buy ? And you said you haven't enough time for gaming ? :lol

Some people enjoy spending their time endlessy crusading against things that they have no interest in. Makes them feel better about themselves. Should have been evident 20 pages ago.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Shurs said:
Do we really want to get into this again?

You seem so worried about purchasing the game because it doesnt hit some top tier of graphics(So far, from what you are saying). Which really shouldnt matter. Its as if you are somehow trying to form excuses for yourself not to want to get it. besides not even owning a 360.

TheLegendary said:
NOOOOOOOOOO.

Don't get him started again. Damnit!

Taking a break from reach and im bored, Whats so bad about talking? its not like this is the official thread.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
So you have 100 posts in a thread dedicated to a game you're not even sure to buy ? And you said you haven't enough time for gaming ? :lol

I can multi-task while posting on GAF. When I play a game, I like to give it my full attention.

Edit: Also, is it so hard to see why my post count in this thread is so high when people specifically ask me questions (bait me) like Karma did a few minutes ago? I then give an honest answer but that's not good enough for some of you.

I'm sorry I don't love the game that none of us have played as much as you do.

Banned
Shurs said:

Read the comments for the people that have played the game and you will clearly see it is one of the best looking games this gen. So you dont need to worry about that anymore.

adamsapple

Shurs said:

You don't love the game, you don't have the system it's on, you're not even sure whether you'll want to buy either the game or system, what are you even doing in the thread then ? :lol

Shurs said:
I can multi-task while posting on GAF. When I play a game, I like to give it my full attention.

Edit: Also, is it so hard to see why my post count in this thread is so high when people specifically ask me questions (bait me) like Karma did a few minutes ago? I then give an honest answer but that's not good enough for some of you.

man theres not loving the game and then theres posting over a hundred times in a thread for a game you cant play and arent sure youre going to buy

Amir0x

Banned
Karma said:
Read the comments for the people that have played the game and you will clearly see it is one of the best looking games this gen. So you dont need to worry about that anymore.

Man I hate to keep defending Shurs (since he's out), but are you shitting me? How many games come out and people play them and it's "one of the best looking games", and that's not even remotely true?

What makes something the one of the best looking games this gen is subjective, and you can't put an end to the subject by utilizing a few people's personal opinions (often driven by "afterglow" from the fact that they're playing the game and we're not)

With the resolution issue alone, my own personal feeling means it's excluded from the list. neither view is wrong, and you can't put an end to either view by someone's opinion and be all "you shouldn't worry!"

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Shurs said:

Im just trying to figure out how you think :lol

Your honest answers dont really go with what you actually say.

EagleEyes

Shurs said:

What games are you giving your full attention to right now? Honest question

FrankT

Amir0x said:
Man I hate to keep defending Shurs (since he's out), but are you shitting me? How many games come out and people play them and it's "one of the best looking games", and that's not even remotely true?

What makes something the one of the best looking games this gen is subjective, and you can't put an end to the subject by utilizing a few people's personal opinions (often driven by "afterglow" from the fact that they're playing the game and we're not)

With the resolution issue alone, my own personal feeling means it's excluded from the list. neither view is wrong, and you can't put an end to either view by someone's opinion and be all "you shouldn't worry!"

Actually if there are enough people from reputable sites saying the same general comments on the matter I think enough of a conclusion can be drawn. Is it definitive; absolutely not. But then again that is why we will all get to test it out in a couple of weeks. Graphics certainly do not seem to be a concern at all outside of what has been described as uncanny valley a couple of times. Are they top tier this gen maybe. Again we who will play this game and reviewers will decide ultimately. Even if I was borderline the graphics would certainly be a pro not a con. If I was a non 360 owner would that push me over the edge? I don’t know. ( I should admit I'm not one to go out and buy a console on this kind of measure alone). For me it is non-issue at this point because that last video sealed the deal.

However this is much more important to me at this point;

hilarygoldstein: Just finished Alan Wake @remedyalerts. It's great when story and gameplay work as one -- Congrats!

adamsapple

Amir0x said:

But those are the same guys who are eventually gonna write up reviews for the game that are followed by the masses .. it's their personal opinion sure, but it's still a reassuring thing when you read someone say something positive about an aspect that a lot of people think is not that positive anymore.

edit : more importantly for me though is that multiple people have tweeted in favor of the game having some of the best atmosphere they've seen.

Amir0x

Banned
chandoog said:
But those are the same guys who are eventually gonna write up reviews for the game that are followed by the masses .. it's their personal opinion sure, but it's still a reassuring thing when you read someone say something positive about an aspect that a lot of people think is not that positive anymore.

These are the same guys that are going write up reviews? That's the argument in favor of their opinion being some sort of end-all-be-all?

For as smart as GAF is, I swear, it has a shorter term memory than fucking Cheech and Chong. EVEN if you held up game journalism as some sort of standard to be compared to (and it's not - it's uniformly terrible), the reality is there can be no consensus on how successful something is visually. If we all agreed on what was an acceptable standard on visuals, people wouldn't still be acting like Wii had games with good 3D graphics.

No, I don't bring up Wii to trash it as I tend to do - it's just the point that everyone has a different metric for what makes a good visuals good. To me, resolution is one of the most important issues with games today. The difference in visual detail and clarity is immense, and Alan Wake has served to be one of the most crushing disappointments to me yet in this regard. As the reason I purchased a 360, the fact that it's not even part of the HD gen is damning to me. And automatically removes it from any list of the greats this gen.

But, that's my standard! Why should my standard be more important than any others? The same applies for these reviewers. No amount of reviewer opinions can put to rest the debate about the merits of Alan Wake's visuals.

darkwings

Banned
Amir0x said:

This. I am not that impressed by AW.

acm2000

wait, shurs didnt even have a 360?!? :lol

i want the CE, but, i also want the game cheap as poss, so im gonna go for normal versions for £28 (voucher code + £5 ewallet)

Man

Amir0x said:
With the resolution issue alone, my own personal feeling means it's excluded from the list.
I'm not sure how it's even arguable. It's resolution, it's pretty much the most basic principle that determines graphics performance.
Remedy's 360 engine can't stoke with HD, it's not even near HD. Mario Galaxy pushes more pixels than Alan Wake per second.

adamsapple

Man said:
I'm not sure how it's even arguable. It's resolution, it's pretty much the most basic principle that determines graphics performance.
Remedy's 360 engine can't stoke with HD, it's not even near HD. Mario Galaxy pushes more pixels than Alan Wake per second.

See this is what I'm talking about .. some of you guys have decided that Alan Wake is a visually unimpressive game now because it doesn't push as many pixels as some other games do, where as the media and hands on previews from the guys playing the retail version imply very heavily otherwise.

I'm just banking on the fact that Remedy know what they're doing, the tech video that was released a day or two ago certainly shows some mighty impressive technology behind the game. Y'all should see it.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...ideos/alanwake_trl_tech_featurette_42810.html

Amir0x said:
These are the same guys that are going write up reviews? That's the argument in favor of their opinion being some sort of end-all-be-all?

For as smart as GAF is, I swear, it has a shorter term memory than fucking Cheech and Chong. EVEN if you held up game journalism as some sort of standard to be compared to (and it's not - it's uniformly terrible), the reality is there can be no consensus on how successful something is visually. If we all agreed on what was an acceptable standard on visuals, people wouldn't still be acting like Wii had games with good 3D graphics.

No, I don't bring up Wii to trash it as I tend to do - it's just the point that everyone has a different metric for what makes a good visuals good. To me, resolution is one of the most important issues with games today. The difference in visual detail and clarity is immense, and Alan Wake has served to be one of the most crushing disappointments to me yet in this regard. As the reason I purchased a 360, the fact that it's not even part of the HD gen is damning to me. And automatically removes it from any list of the greats this gen.

But, that's my standard! Why should my standard be more important than any others? The same applies for these reviewers. No amount of reviewer opinions can put to rest the debate about the merits of Alan Wake's visuals.

Way to speak in generalities.

adamsapple

abacab driver said:
Are people really still trying to convince themselves that Alan Wake isn't an incredible looking game?

If only pixel count alone defined the entire visual fidelity of a game.

FrankT

Amir0x said:

This is very funny business but I like it. So this begs what in fact is the list of greats from you this gen, but we can narrow that down even further let's just say 360. Because I can tell you and after playing pretty much all the greats this gen HD wise there is no doubt in my mind this is one of the best I've ever seen in that last video from Korea.

And see we can put aside what previwers are saying as well because people actually outside of reviwers are saying the same. I suppose your standard shouldn't be put above the others but if there is a general consenus among the gaming community then yea I think it can and will be put above a few naysayers on resolution. I'll take stock in the reviews on the graphical level, but my own personal opinion after playing the game will be enough for me to make a final call. And I say all this preferring to have 720p as well. It's a good debate, but it isn't going to be one worth even having after the game hits though. I know this much to be true.

Bpatrol said:
man theres not loving the game and then theres posting over a hundred times in a thread for a game you cant play and arent sure youre going to buy

It's a good discussion to be sure, but it matters little because there becomes a point when a game just doesn't matter how good it is due to the fact that simply put nothing will convince someone to invest in the hardware and the game.

Amir0x

Banned
chandoog said:
If only pixel count alone defined the entire visual fidelity of a game.

ITT people try to utilize the phrase "pixel counters" to devalue the vast importance of resolution, as if it puts them "above the fray."

There is a reason there exists "pixel counters" at all. It's because resolution is one of the cornerstones of visual fidelity. It's one of THE single most important aspects to use when determining a games basic technical bona fides. Within it, all of its lesser aspects weigh upon, even up to and including its art direction, as the less resolution the less clarity and detail you have to share your vision.

It doesn't make you somehow beyond reproach to ignore the issue or discredit those who find a problem with it as "pixel counters". It just makes you seem out out of touch with the realities of the problem.

Jtyettis said:
This is very funny business but I like it. So this begs what in fact is the list of greats from you this gen, but we can narrow that down even further let's just say 360. Because I can tell you and after playing pretty much all the greats this gen HD wise there is no doubt in my mind this is one of the best I've ever seen in last video from Korea.

And see we can put aside what previwers are saying as well because people actually outside of reviwers are saying the same. I suppose your standard shouldn't be put above the others but if there is a general consenus among the gaming community then yea I think it can and will be put above a few naysayers on resolution. I'll take stock in the reviews on the graphical level, but my own personal opinion after playing the game will be enough for me to make a final call. And I say all this preferring to have 720p as well. It's a good debate, but it isn't going to be one worth even having after the game hits though. I know this much to be true.

There will never be any metacritic, gamerankings or any other accumulative "consensus" that can wash away legitimate criticism on subjective subjects like overall game quality, visuals, music, controls. It's an impossibility. Because it is an inherently subjective subject, where what an individual values comes into play above all else. In this, the value of a single opinion is equal to the value of three hundred. It's all about what your flavor is.

FrankT

Amir0x said:
In this, the value of a single opinion is equal to the value of three hundred. It's all about what your flavor is[/B].

No I very much disagree. 100 times over. Simply put there is nothing to wash away because the opinion is like someone yelling amongst a crowd. It matters little in fact.

adamsapple

Amir0x said:
I know I should think of the reviewers and their standard of unlimited quality game criticism!

the metacriticz are teh serious buzness !

anyway, i understand others criticism, but i still think it's weird to say this game will not be visually impressive mainly for it's resolution, yes its subjective, but my display of bewilderment is also subjective.

Amir0x said:
I know I should think of the reviewers and their standard of unlimited quality game criticism!
It's always convenient to either shit on reviewers or praise them, just depends on the point one is making at the time. All you have to do is read gaf or any other forum ....

Game I like that reviews poorly? It's those lolworthy reviewers and their shitty journalism full of payola and they don't like what I like anyway, right?
Game I like that reviews well? "Look at the reviews, you're crazy if you think this is a bad game!"

Luckily, everyone will be able to play this game and enjoy it, or not enjoy it, and no review or other person's opinion, no matter how tortured they might be that you hate something they seem to like, can change that.

FrankT

Amir0x said:

Nope, only as those with a voice outside the crowd.

elrechazao said:
It's always convenient to either shit on reviewers or praise them, just depends on the point one is making at the time. All you have to do is read gaf or any other forum ....

Game I like that reviews poorly? It's those lolworthy reviewers and their shitty journalism full of payola and they don't like what I like anyway, right?
Game I like that reviews well? "Look at the reviews, you're crazy if you think this is a bad game!"

Luckily, everyone will be able to play this game and enjoy it, or not enjoy it, and no review or other person's opinion, no matter how tortured they might be that you hate something they seem to like, can change that.

And that is the bottom line.

Top Bottom