• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Zezboob

I tried to play this night, impossible to get a match with a correct connexion. And it was more or less always the same guys (but that's kind of normal for the moment).

I don't really see why people say that netcode is better. H3 has a good netcode, but I don't notice any clear improvement.

By the way, the plasma launcher is a very very terrible idea.

Kibbles said:
New permutations and rocket hog spotted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17793j6pMtk
Oh good.

Schmitty

StUnNeR H2K said:
I getting destroyed on some games, and honestly not playing that well... kind of tired of the same two maps, but I'm still having a blast :D

Tons more fun then Halo 3 multiplayer... each weapon has it's own unique satisfaction to getting a kill with!
Right now I barely have over a 1 K/D. In Halo 3 is was consistently >1.5. I really don't know what's going on. The guns are just too weak compared to grenades and melee now.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
God, FFA Oddball is so terrible.

Entire game:

Someone pickups up the ball, goes to some nook or cranny of the map, grenade spam there for the rest of the game. If you try to take it out, someone else just takes it right back to the same damn spot.

On Powerhouse it was the locker area with the grenade launcher, on Swordbase it was the bottom dark staircase corner. So frustrating.

Trasher

What's with assists not registering like EVER for me? I'll shoot a dude like three times and a teammate will kill him, but I will get no assist medal. Wtf!

Pennybags

Demoncarnotaur said:
There is something too fun about assassinations. They are great. Although, I do wish there was a greater variety of them, so you don't know exactly what will happen.

Nice helmet choice. I don't see many others using the MP police permutation.

I definitely agree that there should be a greater variety of assassinations. I know it has been said many times before, but it would be neat if new assassinations could be unlocked through the use of credits.

GhaleonEB said:
Playing as an Elite feels awesome; it feels like what playing as an Elite should feel like: powerful, fast, agile and dangerous. I'd like to see more than just Covy Slayer (should be "Covies", BTW) - toss in Covy King of the Hill and Covy Stockpile, please.

SWAT Covies could be fun, but unfortunately Elites would have to use the DMR. SWAT plus Evade: is it fun or frustration? You decide!

Additionally, traditional one-sided gametypes could be fun with a Spartans vs Elites setup.

MrDaravon

Long and boring Impressions, good and bad.

Menus and Pre/Postgame:
-Aside from a few times where it wasn't working, Active Roster is fantastic. Only improvement I could think of is that maybe it should give the Lobby Leader some sort of little pop-up in the corner (probably in Post Game) that someone has joined, or more importantly tried to join and failed. We did have a couple times where it failed, and unless you're in a Party Chat you probably wouldn't even realize someone was trying to join your group if it failed.
-For some reason (and it's probably me being stupid) I have difficulty navigating/hitting wrong things in the Saved Films area. Also maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see an option to rename a video?
-In the Post Game Carnage as far as I can tell there's no way to see how many cR you earned that match once you've gone past that screen into the actual game stats. For that matter, I shouldn't need to hit A 3 or 4 times to see every little thing that game that gave me cR; give me one Post Game Carnage screen. I also agree that First Strike really shouldn't be in the top medals on the Carnage screen.
-Unless I'm missing it there is no way to see your Commendations anywhere in the game, only on Bungie.net.
-Very minor, but it would be nice to see how many cR you have to go to the next ranking; you do get the % at the end of a match, so this is isn't much of an issue but at the same time I don't see why they wouldn't either.
-Game needs a sound effect when you get to the vote screen. It seems ridiculous that we're bitching about getting games too fast, but I feel like I have no time to even look at post game stats most of the time, much less look at buying some armor pieces.
-The fact that there IS a vote screen is freaking awesome, well done.
-The fact that you can now save games without having to back out and go to theater is fantastic, although I didn't know you could even do it until urk and Shake told me how, not very clear there.

UI/HUD in game:
-Everything looks super sleek and nice, but a lot of that seems to come at the cost of practical value. I think some of it might be related to the FOV change (which I like), but for example I never look at my health or shields.
-I practically never look at my ammo, but that doesn't seem to really be a concern in the beta, so the change in the ammo display in the top right doesn't bother me like it does some people.
-The location callouts in the bottom left are also nice, but I would also suggest that maybe those stay on screen when you die, so if you die somewhere and blank on the name you can see where you were.
-It's not as bad now, but I still have trouble at times telling where I'm getting shot from.
-I've tried and can't articulate it well, but the HUD indicators suck for objective games, in particular Stockpile. I still get confused at times even after playing a bunch, so I'm on the Red team but I'm taking the flag to a Blue indicator?. I can't quite put my finger on why I can't deal with it or how to specifically fix it.
-I think overall they placed a bit TOO much emphasis on pushing everything to be small and on the edges of the screen.
-MOTION BLUR/GHOSTING. HOLY SHIT TONE IT DOWN. I found out what's been giving me headaches the last 3 days (seriously, I don't know if I'm going to even play tomorrow).

General Gameplay:
-Honestly? The issues with Melee, Shields, Grenades, Reticule/DMR/Magnum that people are complaining about don't really bother me at all. I would probably agree that the grenades maybe need slight nerfing, or to not drop off corpses, but aside from that none of those issues really bother me.
-I think all of the Armor Abilities are all fine at the moment. Sprint's great and probably my favorite. Armor Lock is a little annoying with how frequently people can do the short bursts to fuck with you, but eh. There might be issues once we get to fuck around with vehicles and possibly breaking that equation, but as of now I think it's fine. Jetpack is fine for me. Only change I would maybe suggest is to down the amount of time Camo lasts a bit. If you just have it on it seems to last a very long time, possibly too long.
-I never even bother with getting health packs. Provided I even take a hit on my health and don't die, it has never once crossed my mind to go get a health pack. I have no understanding at all for why they did this.
-You realllllly need to somehow not be able to Elite roll with the Hammer, that is pretty broke-ass at the moment.
-I agree with the complaints that it seems like I never have enough time to change loadouts on spawns. I don't know if they just need to tack on a second or two or what. I can understand why they wouldn't want to let you NOT spawn until you chose, to avoid griefing etc. Also I swear on several occasions I've changed my Loadout, but then I spawn with a different one or it starts defaulting to a different one for some reason.
-In-game sound is all over the place in terms of quality, distance, and what the fuck factor. Probably a Beta issue though, can't imagine any of that stuff is final yet.

Weapons:
-I agree that most weapons and melee really need improved feedback. I'm with Ghaleon, half the time I have to look at the text to see if I killed the guy before someone else killed me, or it was mutual death, or a grenade, or who the hell knows.
-Focus Rifle - Feels fine to me, maybe could use a reduced clip though, thing seems to last forever.
-Plasma Launcher - NERF THIS SHIT. Fuck everything else everybody's bitching about, this thing is crazy broken. Has a ridiculous amount of ammo, and it gets a lock-on and fires a grenade absurdly fast across a freaking map.
-Plasma Repeater - No one ever, ever uses this. It's better than the Plasma Rifle, I'll give you that much.
-Needler - As much as I love this and want to say it's broken so they'll make it stronger, I think it's about fine as-is. It takes more Needles if someone has shields yes, but the homing seems a bit better; I've gotten a bunch of kills with it I know I never would have in Halo 3.
-Grenade Launcher: I've gotten to use this like twice, no real impressions beyond the fact that it definietely takes skill to use, but I've gotten a few sweet bank shots with it.
-All the other weapons feel pretty much fine to me including the apparently hated DMR and Pistol, although it was definietely a learning curve on those two. Once I get the hang of them though I think they're fine. Also not a big fan of the Shotgun right now, it seems a bit inconsistent but it's hard to tell yet. Also not sure how I feel about being able to melee block sword lunges.

Maps/Gametypes:
-Swordbase is okay for most variants, but it is dog shit on 1-Flag CTF, which seems to be a large Grab Bag default at the moment. This is made worse by the fact that half of the time people are still looking at post game stats and/or buying armor, so it never gets voted off half the time, even when people would have.
-Stockpile is a good map. The area at the south (?) end of the map where the Shotgun is never ever gets used though unless there's an objective there.
-3 Plots is awesome, but goes super fast (matchmaking churn my ass urk :p)
-Team Headhunter seems like it will be awesome. FFA Headhunter that is in the Beta is broken and sucks. People just wait by terrorites to kill dudes. I've played it 3 times, 2 times ended with Skullmanjaros. We played with a guy who was telling us that he has a clip in his file share where he spawned near a territory by a guy who was weak and had 12 skulls. Within 5 seconds of spawning he killed the guy, took all the skulls and ended the game. Yeah, loads of fun.
-Stockpile is pretty awesome.
-I like Covy Slayer, but it needs some variations on Loadouts, it's a bit stale with the two current ones (and one of which no one ever ever uses).
-I only played two matches of Juggernaut, and completely owned on both of them and never got to be the Juggernaut, so I can't really comment on this one.
-SWAT is awesome, like it way more than in Halo 2/3, especially since you can headshot people from the back now since it's not everyone play as motherfucking Elites.
-Sudden Death in 1 Flag CTF either needs to be longer, or needs to be considerably longer/not end if someone is holding the flag (but then immediately end if dropped).

Bnet:
-On the main stats page, the Spartan (next to your Commendations) should really show your own Spartan :(
-The "bar" type breakdown on your win/loss and kill/death streaks is fantastic, love it.
-Also really really love the k/d by hour, as well as the weapon kills/death stats, super awesome.

Overall the Beta is still so limited right now it's hard to make any overall judgements. It may seem like a lot of complaints up there, but I'm trying ot remember the little things that bugged me, I could go on forever about the little things I like. I am enjoying it more and more, but that's because I'm playing it less and less like a Halo game; it's a change of expectations. As someone who plays a bunch of FPS games it not feeling like a Halo game (which I 100% agree I don't think it does) doesn't bother me, but for people where Halo is pretty much their primary game, I could see this being a huge bummer. As of now though I'm really enjoying it, probably more than Halo 3, but I've had to change around my expectations and what I thought it was going to be like (like Halo). I honestly don't know that after the Beta is over that I can back to Halo 2, MW2 or any other online FPS; I may just focus on trying to knock out some of my single-player backlog.

As an aside, are we getting Challenges during the Beta? For some reason I thought I heard/read that we were going to get Weekly Challenges but not Daily, or vice versa.

soldat7 said:
This goes back to my argument of why in the world make it look so much like High Ground? At least change the color of the rocks or make it have blue vegetation or something. Otherwise, it's an excellent map.
Other than the fact that there is orange dirt, this map looks nothing like high ground, and plays even more differently. Not sure why its a problem. Bigger problems for me are the amount of ammo in power weapons, the shield pop before you can die, and the fact that it really does take a while to kill people if you aren't using a power weapon.

rac

Banned
Oh boy just played against vhfive's team on swordbase and their team was camping like crazy. Not once did they try to come to our side.

Oozer3993

Louis Wu said:
Would love to try this - but when I click the download link, I get a page telling me to do a survey before I can download. So I do a stupid survey. It won't let me finish until I put in my cellphone number.

There's no way in HELL I'm putting in my cellphone number.

I'd be happy to host this for you, but I'm not willing to submit to cellphone spam to get it. You can upload it to http://hbouploads.bungie.org/ if you want (send me an email or pm if you do, so I know it's there).

Damn, sorry about that :( My tricked out Firefox install has kept me insulated from stuff like that. I uploaded it to HBO, I hope that works.

Trasher said:
What's with assists not registering like EVER for me? I'll shoot a dude like three times and a teammate will kill him, but I will get no assist medal. Wtf!

You have to have done at least 40% of the total damage to a player to get an assist. Another teammate may have chipped away just enough to keep you from getting it.

Pennybags said:
Additionally, traditional one-sided gametypes could be fun with a Spartans vs Elites setup.

I was thinking about this earlier. I've been wanting it since they showed it off with Halo 2 at E3 in 2004.

P.S. Is there a way to use the Active Roster to see what's going on in your friend's games? I thought I heard Ghaleon mention it in a game Thursday, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman said:
Other than the fact that there is orange dirt, this map looks nothing like high ground, and plays even more differently. Not sure why its a problem. Bigger problems for me are the amount of ammo in power weapons, the shield pop before you can die, and the fact that it really does take a while to kill people if you aren't using a power weapon.

Hey, sorry about the no mic thing. It's 4 am and people are sleeping =\

One thing that is bothering me about the game is that I have no idea what is going on around me.
I'm not a good player, just a casual one. But at least in the other halo games I knew what was happening.

On Reach, everything is exploding around me without warning. Grenade launcher, rockets, everything! Even the timer on frag grenades is stupidly fast. I have no time to run away after that "clink" sound.

I keep dying and I have no idea how it happened or who did what.

I has a confus =\

Sibylus

Banned
So wait, is that rocket hog actually in the game? The turret sounds a lot like the rocket hog's turret in Halo PC, and the reticule also seems to be directly inspired by HPC's reticle.

Apath

Deputy Moonman said:
Oh come on. Aesthetics wise you really think it looks nothing like High Ground? Map lay out sure, but actual art assets it looks like it takes place on the other side of a cliff.

Ten-Song

And issue I'm starting to have with the game is the fact that there are methods in which the game is actually fighting against its own logic. For example, power weapons all feel too damn powerful, and I think this is mostly because they bypass the "pop shields then kill" flow that all other weapons abide by. With any other gun, you need to pop an opponents shields before you can worry about taking down their health... but if you have rockets, the pro pipe, a hammer/sword, or the plasma launcher, you completely bypass a core aspect of the gameplay. As a result, the weapon sandbox feels really weird.

It's just kind of odd that standing a good distance away from a grenade is a guaranteed kill, but if I punch an opponent in the face when they have next to no shields, it won't kill them. It's really inconsistent.

Also, the plasma launcher really should get a nerf. It being able to track is one thing, but it being able to track up to four opponents at once? That's a little absurd.

kylej said:
Sword Base's existence is the most bewildering thing about Reach. This map is so bad. So bad. So bad. What a bad map.

Yep, I was never a fan of boarding action or really vertical maps, so I really am not a fan of it.

Mo0

Think of how much bitching would've ensued if they made swords take two hits to kill, though. Or made the rocket launcher a 2 hit kill. The only things that "break the rules" in this are the ones that "broke the rules" in previous Halo games.

Ten-Song

Mo0 said:
Think of how much bitching would've ensued if they made swords take two hits to kill, though. Or made the rocket launcher a 2 hit kill. The only things that "break the rules" in this are the ones that "broke the rules" in previous Halo games.

I was more speaking that the core design in how shields work makes things inconsistent, rather than the weapons themselves. The way previous Halo games worked, even if you had super powerful one hit kill weapons, they still fit in sandbox, where as now, there is a rule set in place that has a heavy list of exceptions and stipulations rather than keeping things simple.

MrDaravon

Odrion said:
Are they going to provide changes throughout the beta?

No; the build we're playing is already apparently a few weeks old and has had changes made. I think there would be too much technical manpower and time needed to do that, and they need to actually work on and finish the game. It's a bummer though, because a lot of the stuff that is being complained about may be (or already has been) changed in some fashion, but we'll have no idea on how it plays then until we've bought the game.

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
As an aside, are we getting Challenges during the Beta? For some reason I thought I heard/read that we were going to get Weekly Challenges but not Daily, or vice versa.
Nope, Challenges are being saved for retail. They're one of those elements that I know will have me addicted as hell to Reach, espeically since they'll be spread across all game modes.

MrDaravon

GhaleonEB said:
Nope, Challenges are being saved for retail. They're one of those elements that I know will have me addicted as hell to Reach, espeically since they'll be spread across all game modes.

Dang :(

Like you, I play largely BTB, so I'm still super bummed out there's no BTB in the Beta. Invasion will get us halfway there, but right now this isn't my preferred experience (I'll never do either of these playlists when the game is actually out).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Can someone explain how I can earn more credits each game? I'll have a really good game and get jack shit for credits. Then another one, I'll do terrible in and be rewarded with more credits, than my good game. :lol

Ten-Song

Plywood said:
Can someone explain how I can earn more credits each game? I'll have a really good game and get jack shit for credits. Then another one, I'll do terrible in and be rewarded with more credits, than my good game. :lol

The thing I notice so far is medals seem to be key in earning credits. I finished a stockpile game with almost three times as many captures as anyone else, and the bonus credits I got was pathetic. However, go into a slayer match and get a bunch of random medals, that'll tally up to give you a crap load of credits.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ten-Song said:
The thing I notice so far is medals seem to be key in earning credits. I finished a stockpile game with almost three times as many captures as anyone else, and the bonus credits I got was pathetic. However, go into a slayer match and get a bunch of random medals, that'll tally up to give you a crap load of credits.
Ah, I'll have to test this out.

Mo0 said:

The difference is that it never took this many bullets and this much time to kill someone especially mid-range with your average league of weapons. Why bungie thought battles were too short in the previous halo games is beyond me. It felt just right in halo 2 imo. Any longer and it feels like a job.

I mean, i have to reload/switch weapons after putting a whole clip on someone to kill the same guy I was shooting at the entire time!? Really?

Mo0

^^ That sounds like the AR, though. Just about every other gun can easily knock someone down without spending the whole clip. The key being you have to hit them right to do it.

Ten-Song said:
I was more speaking that the core design in how shields work makes things inconsistent, rather than the weapons themselves. The way previous Halo games worked, even if you had super powerful one hit kill weapons, they still fit in sandbox, where as now, there is a rule set in place that has a heavy list of exceptions and stipulations rather than keeping things simple.
Ah, I see what you mean. I guess I look at it the opposite way, with the whole bit about melee damage not carrying over after shields pop being an exception to the otherwise established rules, rather than that being the new rule and things like the sword being the exception. That, at least, lets it feel consistent for me. :)

GhaleonEB

I think of SWAT as being the Halo gametype for people who don't like Halo. I'm not exactly fond of it.

But it's not bad in Reach. I think the combination of the vastly superior netcode, the hitscan weapons and the lack of spread, as the BR had, combine to make it feel much more fair. And I must say, landing headshots with the DMR is pretty tasty.

Mo0

GhaleonEB said:
I think of SWAT as being the Halo gametype for people who don't like Halo. I'm not exactly fond of it.

But it's not bad in Reach. I think the combination of the vastly superior netcode, the hitscan weapons and the lack of spread, as the BR had, combine to make it feel much more fair. And I must say, landing headshots with the DMR is pretty tasty.
"Oh god, the crosshair is barely covering his head, taking the shot anyway -- BLAM -- Yessssss..." -- Everyone, during a SWAT match

Kimosabae

Banned
Played this for about 10 minutes today. The only thing I can say is that I was shocked at how much it resembled H3 - the game didn't look any different to me at all. I was playing on a STDV, however.

I liked the powerful grenades, as I believe they should be powerful. It helps quicken the pace of the game, and can help even the odds against multitudes. Pistol and DMR felt okay until someone told me the pistol takes 7 shots to kill and the DMR took 5. Is that right? That made me hella sad.

Not sure why people here are having issues doing good in this game. i haven't played halo in years and i do very well most games. All you have to do is wait for a fire fight to start, and crash the party. This works especially well in free for all in any mode...and i mean any mode but also works in team games too.

Someone here mentioned that HeadHunter is an opportunist's game. Yep, but this entire game is an opportunist game. Slayer is almost just as opportunist friendly. That should come pretty crystal clear after dying 3 times in a row because you were the one gathering attention and actually trying to play the game. Some random jackass either runs at you after/during the scurry, chucks a nade in the fight's general vicinity or actually uses teamwork. either way, the results the same. the guy in the back that gathers no attention gets the glory.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
SWAT on Swordbase is a total campfest from my experiences.

And nobody ever votes for Crazy King. :( Gotten it once out of about 70 games, Team and FFA.

Oozer3993

GhaleonEB[B said:
]I think of SWAT as being the Halo gametype for people who don't like Halo. I'm not exactly fond of it.[/B]

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

It's now Sunday, May 2nd, it's warm and muggy outside, and I still hate Covy Slayer.

Zezboob

GhaleonEB said:
I would not say it. Halo has always been a pretty complete multiplayer experience.
There is people who don't like BTB, Objectives, SWAT etc. but still like Halo for all the other modes.

GhaleonEB said:
vastly superior netcode
I really don't understand it. For I noticed nothing really special.
I am really impatient for the 3rd May, to see more europeans in the beta in order to confirm/infirm my experience so far.

NameGenerated said:
And nobody ever votes for Crazy King. :( Gotten it once out of about 70 games, Team and FFA.
Well, Crazy King + overpowered grenades = boring mess

Apath

Zezboob said:
I would not say it. Halo has always been a pretty complete multiplayer experience.
There is people who don't like BTB, Objectives, SWAT etc. but still like Halo for all the other modes.
SWAT is the most un-Halo like out of all of those you listed though. It's all about reaction speed and head shots. IMO it's like combining COD and Halo.

Not that I have anything against SWAT (I personally am not a fan), but I can definitely understand the sentiments of calling it the most un-Halo of all game modes.

GhaleonEB

Zezboob said:
It's a joke.

JambiBum

Kibbles said:
Where does the shotgun spawn on Sword Base?
Under the stairs in blue base. Right near the spawn in 1 flag. Go down the stairs, turn left and it should be against the wall behind the stairs.

JambiBum said:
Under the stairs in blue base. Right near the spawn in 1 flag. Go down the stairs, turn left and it should be against the wall behind the stairs.

Speaking of shotguns, where is the one on Powerhouse? Bnet says I've died 5 times from it, but I don't remember ever running across it in any form.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
UltimaPooh said:
I gotcha.

I tip my hat to you (and all other generous GAFers helping us poor bastards). Thanks, hopefully it and my thanks are worth part of the 6 render seconds to you. ;)

Top Bottom