• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I'm all for Reach-ifhying Soffish there, but I can't say I'm a fan of Sage's work after getting my hands on it.

Sage is the best thing to happen to Bungie in a long time. Each and every weapon feels useful in Reach, unlike in Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

soldat7 said:
Sage is the best thing to happen to Bungie in a long time.
Opinions and all that.

I'm learning to adjust to a number of things, but the sandbox has a LOT of issues, IMO. Many more than Halo 3 did in Beta.

Oozer3993

Reposting this from last night since it got kinda lost:

I whipped up a quick Java app to calculate the Arena rating. I messed around with it a little and found some weird things:

* The theoretical max is 2000, but you're never gonna get above 1844.

4loy2a.jpg

* Similarly, you're never gonna get anywhere near 0.

ng6q2o.jpg

* 1600 and 1700s are Tashi level

33cou1u.jpg

* As you can see from above, although it only docks you 4%, the loss penalty is not negligible.
* To get below 1000, you pretty much have to try to get below 1000.
* This must have some tweaks for FFA, since the max rating for FFA (players_per_team set to 1) is 1500.

App:

http://sharebee.com/f2857c60

Source:

http://sharebee.com/d488009c

If it doesn't work for you, then that is proof that I don't know what I'm doing lol.

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
Opinions and all that.

I'm learning to adjust to a number of things, but the sandbox has a LOT of issues, IMO. Many more than Halo 3 did in Beta.

The Halo 3 beta had fewer issues with weapons than the release did though. Stronger Brute Shot, stronger Carbine, and stronger Plasma Rifle. I was sorely disappointed with these weapons in Halo 3.

So would most of you guys say this is feels like a cross between Halo CE and Shadowrun? From everything I've seen and read it seems that way. If that is the case the wait for Monday becomes even harder.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, dude, I downloaded it and put in a few Reach slayer games and was pleasantly surprised. I was scoring 1300-1650 pretty consistently.

Yeah....I am surprised because I know I am pretty garbage at the game but put my usual plus 1 to about 4 and my usual assist and I scored in that range as well... weird. :lol

Not a Jellyfish said:
Yeah....I am surprised because I know I am pretty garbage at the game but put my usual plus 1 to about 4 and my usual assist and I scored in that range as well... weird. :lol
Depends who you're playing, I guess. Like L. Smith said, a 1600 in Steel Division is not the same as a 1600 in Onyx.

soldat7 said:
Sage is the best thing to happen to Bungie in a long time. Each and every weapon feels useful in Reach, unlike in Halo 3.

As someone who didnt play Shadowrun much - I just dont like his inclusions to the game. This may be a placebo effect because I remember posting about my worries as soon as we saw the first vidoc. It seems like he's earned his job. For every player who doesnt like Reach, there's one that loves it. I still wonder how he got such a high position in Bungie so quick though?

It really does seem like Bungie went well out of theyre way to change Halo, hiring Sage, putting him so high up and changing the map philosophy has done a lot of good/ bad depending on how you feel. I guess the haters cant exactly call this Halo 3.5, but as a diehard fan im not sure I like it.

P.S. Good games just now Schmitty, sorry I had to switch off in such a hurry.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Shake Appeal said:
Depends who you're playing, I guess. Like L. Smith said, a 1600 in Steel Division is not the same as a 1600 in Onyx.

That is very true, did it base don my overall averages of all my stats.

Grab Bag is almost a 1500 rating and FFA is almost a 1600. Pretty interesting though.

Akia

Reading all these impressions makes me feel really dumb for leaving my ODST disk at my parent's house. Enjoy the beta guys.

Lunchbox

Banned
Smokey said:
It takes 1 more well placed shot to kill someone if you know what you're doing over Halo 3's BR with a DMR or a Magnum...
not if they throw a grenade that has a radius of a fucking continent and then hit sprint/armor lock

Smokey said:
It takes 1 more well placed shot to kill someone if you know what you're doing over Halo 3's BR with a DMR or a Magnum...

The length of time isnt equal to shots required, the bloom makes a RoF with accuracy pretty long.

Trasher

snack said:
Right now I only see 3 helmets, 2 of which are new. If I level up, will there be more helmets available to buy?
Nope. What you see is what you get right now. There will be many more options when the actual game comes out.

Smokey

bobs99 ... said:
The length of time isnt equal to shots required, the bloom makes a RoF with accuracy pretty long.

Just because it takes LONGER to kill somebody doesn't mean it takes "too many shots". The gun battles may be longer but the actually number of well placed shots to take somebody down is still 5..1 more than Halo 3.

kylej

Banned
Sword Base's existence is the most bewildering thing about Reach. This map is so bad. So bad. So bad. What a bad map.

Smokey said:
Just because it takes LONGER to kill somebody doesn't mean it takes "too many shots". The gun battles may be longer but the actually number of well placed shots to take somebody down is still 5..1 more than Halo 3.

Lunchbox probably didnt use the right words, but I think he meant length of time rather than shots. Or maybe he didnt, I dont wanna speak for him. Either way reducing the number of shots it takes to kill would decrease the time it takes aswell.

I dont want to suggest lowering the number of shots to kill, because quite frankly 4 shots seem fairly easy.

GhaleonEB

Smokey said:
I don't think the radius is the problem, but rather the distribution of damage within it. I'd be fine if the frag kept the same power level in the very center - if the thing lands at your feet - but the damage need to level off more steeply. As is, you just don't have to be that accurate with the toss to really toast someone.

In unrelated news, I'm learning to like the DMR.

Apath

Master said:
This sounds like a strange networking problem wherever you are trying to connect from, not necessarily a problem with Xbox Live or the games you are playing. If your router has an option to put your Xbox in the DMZ, that might help as you will be opening your NAT completely for a single IP address. Just make sure it is static and that you aren't picking up that IP on a different computer.

There are a million FAQs that try to help walk people through how to make sure their networking is set up correctly but it sounds like you have been through all that. I'm thinking either:
A) The internet connection you are playing on just won't support an open NAT, regardless of what you do. Security settings that are outside of your control = bummer.
B) You may just need to change your networking hardware or firmware. This too is a bummer because it is hard to set up correctly, or costly.

I wish my post could be more helpful. Hope you figure it out man...
I do too :lol I can join my friends in Left 4 Dead 2 just fine, which is why I thought it was specific games, and as a result of that, XBOX Live. I was just ranting though.
Blueblur1 said:
I couldn't disagree more.
I wouldn't go to that extent, but yeah -- Sword Base is not a bad map once you figure out what room is where. I don't even need the call outs to recognize where I am in the map. Only took like 30 games on the map in two and a half days to figure it out though :D My biggest issue with the map is how I cannot seem to be able to exploit the grav lift in the middle of the map efficiently. I always miss the bridges and ledges with it.

Dirtbag

It would be nice if Bungie included the option to turn up the damage dealt by the guns separate from the grenades.

I can see MLG settings going something like DMR/Magnum/Sprint starts with a damage buff to the weapons. No other abilities allowed. Map weapons being shotgun, plasma pistol, 2-4 grenades total, rockets, sniper.

Teknoman said:
Whats the best way to kill someone with a needle rifle?
Aim?

darthbob

Blueblur1 said:
Would you mind rationalizing your empty grievance?

It's cramped, yet big. Very reminiscent of Boarding Action, and I hated that map, for similar reasons.

It takes too long to get anywhere you want, unless you have that horrendous Jet Pack. The man cannon lifts don't do a whole IMO. Is unbalanced for CTF and Stockpile. Very confusing also. Grenades don't help much either when one team can just spam an area, grab the flag, and make their run...although they probably won't get very far, unless they have the Sniper Rifle and Plasma Launcher, which is basically the key to winning. Having both of those weapons.

I suppose you could use Armor Lock to counter the effects of the Plasma Launcher, but since you aren't moving, you can't very well go after the flag carrier can you?

To me, the map is just broken, and I have absolutely NO IDEA on how to fix it. I say scrap it; for a map I heard was designed by 'pros', it sure is crap.

WOW! so gaf totally comes through. out of nowhere i get beta code from AzerPhire. Seriously, thank you again.

i've already got a couple games in and very first impressions are...

swordbase looks surprisingly not great at a distance.
sprinting is great.
overall IQ in MM is not as noticeably a huge leap as I was hoping.
i'd love for the jumps to be just a tiny bit floatier.

all in all i'm enjoying it so far. i'm interested to see how things change for me over time.

also, i've got a little 'gaf-it-forward' contest i'd like to run in just a bit here...

Lazslo

If Steitzer said something like "Choose Game" in beast mode right before you vote it would be amazing; people who are choosing armor or looking at stats could know when to vote. Besides that everything is perfect.

Teknoman

Dirtbag said:
It would be nice if Bungie included the option to turn up the damage dealt by the guns separate from the grenades.

I can see MLG settings going something like DMR/Magnum/Sprint starts with a damage buff to the weapons. No other abilities allowed. Map weapons being shotgun, plasma pistol, 2-4 grenades total, rockets, sniper.

Aim?

I mean, aim for the head the way you would with a sniper or dmr, or just body shots? Because it seems like i'll hit someone directly many times with it, and no supercombine...yet sometimes I can get hit a few times and death.

Getting used to grabbing medkits might be part of the problem as far as damage on my side goes.

I don't think grenades are the problem, its just that the weapons and melee are so much less reliable than grenades, why should I shoot my wildly inaccurate gun at the guy when I can just throw a grenade at him instead?

In Halo 1-3, weapons and melee were way more reliable and effective, but if I know my pistol is going to miss half its shots because its bloom is just straight-up stupid (and if I do damage and he closes the distance to melee, all I did was waste my ammo because its still going to take two melees to kill), then why even bother with my gun if I have some grenades handy?

Grenades aren't overpowered, guns and melee just seem underpowered/less effective.

Trickster

As someone that haven't had to option to play reach yet, could someone explain why swordbase is supposedly so bad?

Judging from videoes I think it looks like a great map. The vertical design seems like a great way to make you change your playstyle, and require you to be able to aim well, as opposed to the usual straffing and moving the reticule a bit to the left and right in order to hit the other guys face.

Teknoman said:
I mean, aim for the head the way you would with a sniper or dmr, or just body shots? Because it seems like i'll hit someone directly many times with it, and no supercombine...yet sometimes I can get hit a few times and death.

Getting used to grabbing medkits might be part of the problem as far as damage on my side goes.
You'll want to go for the headshot once the shield drops- one needle to the dome kills. However, if you miss but still hit the body three needles will cause a supercombine on an unshielded enemy.

KevinRo

I actually like both maps.

Sword base is pretty interesting. It reminds me of a mix between Prisoner and Boarding Action.

I love playing new games as I have to get use to them and learn them. I'm starting to get use to Reach but I feel like the growing curve is going to be humongous in this game. It'll become more evident in a year when there is going to be a huge difference between newcomers and hardened veterans.

I feel like the people bashing this game just suck at it. No offense but the pistol is fucking amazing. Learn to aim. Also needler rifle = sex. I don't really like the DMR tbh.

Needler rifle and pistol is all I'll ever need.

Oh and the grenade reminds me alot of Halo:CE. Don't you fuckers remember how strong those grenades were?

Dirtbag

Trickster said:
As someone that haven't had to option to play reach yet, could someone explain why swordbase is supposedly so bad?

Judging from videoes I think it looks like a great map. The vertical design seems like a great way to make you change your playstyle, and require you to be able to aim well, as opposed to the usual straffing and moving the reticule a bit to the left and right in order to hit the other guys face.

Without a jetpack, it takes a while to get around the map, too much camping, and the corridor fighting isn't particularly fun.

Top Bottom