• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Azar

I don't know if this is a glitch or a design decision, but when playing splitscreen, if one person uses Stealth Camo, it mutes the sound for all players sharing the screen.

Trickster

georgc said:
This game is getting annoying. The melee is all powerful. I shoot this gut with over half a clip with the AR and he just comes in and hits me twice and I die. as long as he gets that hit off first no matter how much i shot him, this is just crap.

the AR from what I hear is crap, and why don't you just hit him back if he's in melee range?

Wiggum2007

Azar said:
I don't know if this is a glitch or a design decision, but when playing splitscreen, if one person uses Stealth Camo, it mutes the sound for all players sharing the screen.

It's basically either that, or don't mute either of them, isn't it?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
I dunno man, I spawned like 3-4 times in that game and was assassinated *immediately*, pretty frustrating.

Well is that just the spawn system or the actual spawn points?

Also I do agree that Slayer Pro has too much shit. Gimme DMR + Magnum, sprint, maybe a sniper on the map and rockets. The other stuff just kills the purity.

georgc said:
This game is getting annoying. The melee is all powerful. I shoot this gut with over half a clip with the AR and he just comes in and hits me twice and I die. as long as he gets that hit off first no matter how much i shot him, this is just crap.
To me, the melee is practically useless and doesn't feel satisfying at all. A huge step down from halo 3, where the melee was so satisfying.

Having a blast with the beta, now I get it. One thing Urk, when someone gets revenge on you it says "(Name) got their revenge". Isn't that a grammatical error? Wouldn't it be "(Name) got his/her revenge"?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AllIsOneIsNone said:
Having a blast with the beta, now I get it. One thing Urk, when someone gets revenge on you it says "(Name) got their revenge". Isn't that a grammatical error? Wouldn't it be "(Name) got his/her revenge"?

Yes. But unless the beta has "male/female" model/voice option like Halo 3, it's more "correct" to have a non-personal pronoun (even if the sentence sounds weird) "their" for gamertags.

However, if there is a female/male voice/gender option they should change it to "his/her" based on that option.

TheSeks said:
Yes. But unless the beta has "male/female" model/voice option like Halo 3, it's more "correct" to have a non-personal pronoun (even if the sentence sounds weird) "their" for gamertags.

However, if there is a female/male voice/gender option they should change it to "his/her" based on that option.

Thats actually a really good idea, quoting for truth (and to increase the odds someone will read it).

TheSeks said:

good call...nitpicky I know, but ya know

GhaleonEB

Stockpile really is good stuff. I think the Red team is at a slight disadvantage, though. In the last game, I took to snagging their flags and tossing them over the edge to the water down below with ~20 seconds left in the round, so they didn't have enough time to get them back up. Good lord that pissed'em off. :lol

Teknoman said:
I gotta ask, is there a purpose to juggling like that? Seems you still move at the same speed.
They claimed that juggling would no longer be effective, but it definitely still seems a little faster.

Loam

Teknoman said:
I gotta ask, is there a purpose to juggling like that? Seems you still move at the same speed.

In one of the first games I played someone managed to do something with the jetpack that allowed them to effectively flag juggle. Wish I saved the film, haven't seen it since.

You also wouldn't believe the number of games I've lost because the flag runner tried to juggle in overtime. :lol

Azar

Wiggum2007 said:
It's basically either that, or don't mute either of them, isn't it?
? Sound effects normally trigger for each player, so I don't see why you couldn't mute the effects coming from that one player, either.

GhaleonEB said:
Stockpile really is good stuff. I think the Red team is at a slight disadvantage, though. In the last game, I took to snagging their flags and tossing them over the edge to the water down below with ~20 seconds left in the round, so they didn't have enough time to get them back up. Good lord that pissed'em off. :lol

I've actually found the opposite. They have the height advantage, and the power position of the "Office Roof". Flag spawns also seem to favor them ever so slightly. But maybe thats just me. Throwing the flag into the water is pretty funny though!

Also:
Kills.png

:D <3

Mastperf

Diablohead said:
Oh yea Reach has 21k users online now, damn that is a lot of players in the F&F :lol
If they were gonna give out this many F&F codes, early access should have been limited to ODST owners.
They could have still given out codes to those who didn't own the game next week. This is some of the most backwards shit I've ever seen. I wasn't even gonna play this weekend, but it still pisses me off for those who missed out on an extra weekend even though they're loyal costumers.
People were getting like 10 codes at a time and making people trade things to get one. It's hard to believe someone at MS/Bungie thought this would work out fairly.

TimeLike

I really don't get the reticule bloom thing. Halo requires a fast trigger finger to land enough head shots to take someone down, but the faster I shoot, the less accurate I become. When I can see the reticule at all, I keep it on the enemy's head, but I am penalized because I shoot too fast.

Had a mid-range to close quarters battle with someone and we both had DMRs. We both emptied our clips at each other, but neither of us were hurt. So we just started wildly meleeing each other. I don't like it.

And please, Bungie, make it so that people with flash drives can use the friggin theater!!! So frustrating when I have all this flash storage space but can't view a saved film.

TimeLike said:
Had a mid-range to close quarters battle with someone and we both had DMRs. We both emptied our clips at each other, but neither of us were hurt. So we just started wildly meleeing each other. I don't like it.
button mashing only get's you so far in life, if you spent 2 seconds to line up that headshot you would have won the duel :p

GhaleonEB

BladedExpert said:
I've actually found the opposite. They have the height advantage, and the power position of the "Office Roof". Flag spawns also seem to favor them ever so slightly. But maybe thats just me. Throwing the flag into the water is pretty funny though!
Could be, I need to play it a bit more. Perhaps having the ledge over the water to spoil their stockpile with is a balancing effect; it worked wonders. We came back from two down to win after I spoiled three rounds in a row tossing flags down there. I heard one of the guys yell via proximity voice, "He's doing it again!"

It was life-affirming.

Wizpig

Mastperf said:
If they were gonna give out this many F&F codes, early access should have been limited to ODST owners.
They could have still given out codes to those who didn't own the game next week. This is some of the most backwards shit I've ever seen.
I wasn't even gonna play this weekend, but it still pisses me off for those who missed out on an extra weekend even though they're loyal costumers.
People were getting like 10 codes at a time and making people trade things to get one. It's hard to believe someone at MS/Bungie thought this would work out fairly.
Agreed.

Hey You

As many have said, grenades are awkward and overpowered.

I don't mind sword base, except for 1 flag ctf and stockpile. Map is confusing.

The juggernaut seems waaay too powerful.

I'm loving the reticule bloom it's makes the game very Shadowrun-y (and we all know that shadowrun is truly the best halo game this gen :D). It gives the weapons a rhythm to that the better players will learn over times.

69% wins is real good, do you play only team games? I have about 53% but most of my games are lone wolves or whatever its called in the beta.

Teknoman

snoopeasystreet said:
I'm loving the reticule bloom it's makes the game very Shadowrun-y (and we all know that shadowrun is truly the best halo game this gen :D). It gives the weapons a rhythm to that the better players will learn over times.

Thats fine, as long as the crosshair is dark enough to see.

TimeLike

Diablohead said:
button mashing only get's you so far in life, if you spent 2 seconds to line up that headshot you would have won the duel :p

My point is that even when you do aim, the reticule grows so much that your shots don't land where you're aiming anyway.

I am loving all the armor abilities. They each have their purpose. It's really fun jumping in the grav lift on SwordBase and activating your jetpack on the way up. You can get up pretty high. Slamming on Armor Lock while defending a flag is fun too. People are so eager to take the flag, that they get close enough for your emp blast to hurt them.

Covie Slayer on Powerhouse is awesome fun. Evade rolling all around the boulders and stairs and the epic battles it leads too is just amazing.

I do find myself using the plasma repeater and assault rifle more than I did in Halo 3. I just suck something aweful with these new accuracy weapons. I have a good time, though, spraying out some bullets and plasma. It really helps as terrific support/suppression fire for my team mates.

GhaleonEB

TimeLike said:
My point is that even when you do aim, the reticule grows so much that your shots don't land where you're aiming anyway.

I am loving all the armor abilities. They each have their purpose. It's really fun jumping in the grav lift on SwordBase and activating your jetpack at on the way up.
My personal favorite is using Sprint, and running toward the grav lift and jumping over it. That vaults you all the way up to any walk way you want, as long as you picked the right angle to hit the lift at.
EvaPlusMinus said:
Juggernaut? I haven't seen that gametype before. Is that on FFA?
Yup.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hey You said:
As many have said, grenades are awkward and overpowered.

I don't mind sword base, except for 1 flag ctf and stockpile. Map is confusing.

The juggernaut seems waaay too powerful.

I don't mind 1 flag ctf or stockpile in sword base, kinda fun. Only problem that I have with it in 1 flag is that every match plays out only 2 ways:

1. Rush the flag spawn from the start since you are right on top of it, get it hit the lift and score.

2. Team doesn't rush the flag spawn and then once they get the flag they don't know where to go with it.

Lkr

the crosshairs need to be fixed, they are way too shitty right now. i am really struggling with this game for that reason i believe

GhaleonEB

Not a Jellyfish said:
I don't mind 1 flag ctf or stockpile in sword base, kinda fun. Only problem that I have with it in 1 flag is that every match plays out only 2 ways:

1. Rush the flag spawn from the start since you are right on top of it, get it hit the lift and score.

2. Team doesn't rush the flag spawn and then once they get the flag they don't know where to go with it.
I think the map would benefit from opening up the closed lift so players can drop down the chute. The vent is turned off at the bottom and blocked off at the top; unblock the top and you have that crucial third way into the base. It would also expand the playing field on the map so the defenders would want to defend the top of the lift rather than just camp the flag room, and could jet pack up the chute to do so.
Lkr said:
the crosshairs need to be fixed, they are way too shitty right now. i am really struggling with this game for that reason i believe
Agree. And I just today noticed that in addition to the expanding, nigh-invisible cross hair for the pistol, it's also got quite a bit of recoil, pulling your aim upward. I think the recoil is excessive on top of the expanding targeting reticule.

Diablohead said:
69% wins is real good, do you play only team games? I have about 53% but most of my games are lone wolves or whatever its called in the beta.

Only played 3 FFA's. Won a game of Headhunter, came 2nd in 2 slayers. I was at 74% last night too :(

Lunchbox

Banned
character customization carries over to single player

does the color carry over too? can i have my orange dude in single player?

watership

Revengeance said:
They claimed that juggling would no longer be effective, but it definitely still seems a little faster.

Hearing flag dropped, flag taken over and over again for two hours sorta grinded on me. It's why i avoided CTF for so long.

Iknos

Mastperf said:
They could have still given out codes to those who didn't own the game next week. This is some of the most backwards shit I've ever seen. I wasn't even gonna play this weekend, but it still pisses me off for those who missed out on an extra weekend even though they're loyal costumers.

I see what you mean.

What if the ODST players can play the beta for a few weeks longer? That would balance it out IMO.

watership said:
Hearing flag dropped, flag taken over and over again for two hours sorta grinded on me. It's why i avoided CTF for so long.

There are hundreds of solutions to this.

Surprising that nothing has been done about this.

Top Bottom